• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ShahulX Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:57 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Didn't know what I was missing out on... Did day 1 of an autox school in the Vw Gti... Best run was a 36.4 something seconds... Which was less than .6 sec slower than a moderatly  modded 07 Wrx sti(exhaust, sways,struts, springs, Cobb ).... My gti is stock minus the Dunlop star specs (225/45/17) I had on them but man they look rough now... With less than 500 miles on them total.... I did beat a brand new 2010 camaro ss, Audi s4, couple wrx's ( new and old), fake Shelby cobra, m5,civics etc.... Miatas were faster as was the s2k...

Heading back today in the GTR for the second day of the school... Possible rain which I'm looking forward to... Maybe I can break the rear end of the gtr loose to negociate some of the sweepers... We are doing slaloms, figure 8's and the road course again....

Let's hope I have as much fun in the bigger Nissan... Watching the camaro and M5 was kinda funny size wise and watching the awd wrx's understeer was disheartning as well... Guess I need sways and real coilovers ( next year or so I guess, after I destroy the Amuse lip)

Attached File  last_weekends_034.JPG   810.63K   35 downloads

Edited by ShahulX, 24 May 2010 - 08:40 PM.

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#2 elpasogtr Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:07 AM

elpasogtr
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
Cool brother. And let me be the first one to wish ya luck today!!!

GTR #1. Bucket of bolts, traded for 2012 black edition.

GTR #2 ---2009 RED - Titeck spoiler and other carbon fiber parts.
This car is a tank. Has never had a problem in 4 years.

GTR #3---2012 Blue black edition. Holy shit I love this car.

#3 pi-man Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

pi-man
  • Supporter
  • OnTrack Maniac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
Glad to hear it went well.  :lmfao:

Let us know how the GT-R does out there.

#4 jaspergtr Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

jaspergtr
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
I'm interested to hear the comparison between auto-x'ing the two (GTI and then GT-R).  Especially because as of now - the GTI is going to be my next car.

GTM Street Mid-pipe
AP slotted rotors (Fr)
Cosworth Trackmaster Pads
SFS Matte CF Wing
Rexpeed Front Lip
Sundown 8" SA-8 Sub w/JBL Amp

#5 AutoXGTR Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

AutoXGTR
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,423 posts

View PostShahulX, on May 22 2010, 11:57 PM, said:

Heading back today in the GTR for the second day of the school... Possible rain which I'm looking forward to... Maybe I can break the rear end of the gtr loose to negociate some of the sweepers... We are doing slaloms, figure 8's and the road course again....

Let's hope I have as much fun in the bigger Nissan... Watching the camaro and M5 was kinda funny size wise and watching the awd wrx's understeer was disheartning as well... Guess I need sways and real coilovers ( next year or so I guess, after I destroy the Amuse lip)

Good to hear you are enjoying the event.

For info on autocrossing the GTR-
http://www.nagtroc.o...showtopic=36115

I see lots of upgrades you have for track use. What suspension mods do you have?

Since autocross is typically up to highway speeds most times even a stock powered GTR has enough power to do well but may benefit from some suspension upgrades-

Coilovers or lowering springs
Front and rear adjustable swaybar
Wider than stock wheels
R compound tires- either Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710 with soft rubber compound (track R compounds are durable but may take some time to heat up unless you have two drivers per car).

With all your upgrades you might be in Street Modified class for SCCA.

The worst thing you can do is overdrive the GTR. It will both understeer in tight corners and oversteer when you get too aggressive on the throttle. Be patient, plan ahead and study the course by walking it many times.

A racing harness is nice to have, at least half tank of gas, clean air filters but no aftermarket intake is really needed. Cat back exhaust or midpipe upgrade is legal but not any big deal other than to sound louder.

One strategy tip is to drive the shortest line you can through the course and be very close to the cones. The power line you might want to use with a track may not turn you the best time as a shorter liine and slightly slower speed cound be faster.

In the wet the GTR does very well, don't be afraid to use R compound tires in everything but standing water. I had a wet event and ran with 18" Kumho V710 tires and placed third fastest time of the day recently. The car did really well for me.

Your actual course will vary with the volunteers that do the course setup and the course designer. Every region has a little bias as to how they do the courses, in my region we really try to get a mix of elements with nothing that favors one type of car over another from event to event, we even change the direction we drive each month.

Posted ImagePosted Image

2009 GTR Premium Gun Metallic/ Black Leather #2361

#35 SM Class Solo SCCA Hawaii Region 2014-2015
2009-2014 Season Points and Run Off Champion (ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/SM 2014)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

#6 ShahulX Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Overall it went pretty well....  Fastest lap was 32.17 vs the 36.45? I ran in the gti....

My gtr has too much power for what experience I have lol... Actually the instructors only did about a second faster if that. I think they said I could some modded class but nit the extreme one because I basically haven't done anything to the engine.

The gtr definetly felt way bigger than the gti... Early on in the day I couldn't do any better than I did in the gti the day before.  The gti was tossable and never felt out of control.  The gtr took me half the day to get real smooth because (as autoxgtr mentioned) i'd end up pushing if I went in hot and oversteering if I didn't.  Controlling the nissan in the slalom was tough.  Overall I shaved about 4 seconds off my initial runs and it felt great.  I need coilovers and sways and Hoosiers.  I need NO more power.  To everyone with upgraded turbos and 800 hp; have fun on the dragstrips beacuse I think that's all you could do.  Even my 550-560 whp was crazy to control with xp12's and R888's. Temps were all good but coolent went up a bit.

I had a blast and they think I should get into it competetivly and think I'd do well in the gtr or gti.  Adam, the gti really did great overall, there was another guy today doing 35-36sec runs and he never spun or really looked out of control.  Same MK6 dsg as I had

I have some crazy videos of my figure 8 drills, taking out some cones and the instructors in my car...
I was worried autoX could be boring compared to road courses... I think I got in backwards... Autox takes SO much more work..... And the gtr did better than I expected that fat tub of lard to do ;) haha

videos tomm I hope....

Attached File  last_weekends_037.JPG   783K   17 downloads

Edited by ShahulX, 24 May 2010 - 08:44 PM.

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#7 elpasogtr Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:24 PM

elpasogtr
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
Cool story.  
Thats what i said about the power. :doh:
jrz probally best upgrade there is.
Turbos would be fun though

GTR #1. Bucket of bolts, traded for 2012 black edition.

GTR #2 ---2009 RED - Titeck spoiler and other carbon fiber parts.
This car is a tank. Has never had a problem in 4 years.

GTR #3---2012 Blue black edition. Holy shit I love this car.

#8 ShahulX Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Yea they are fun and they are fun to boast/brag about.  The hardcore drag racers need em too I think.  My view is the gtr was made for road racing and autoX and 700-800 hp is way to much to handle.  I used the launch control a couple times (RRR manual) and it never helped because there's a sharp right and I'd have to brake and lose whatever quick start the lc would have gave me.

I think my next mods are to upgrade the tranny/1st gear, tranny cooler and radiator, then coilovers...

[/b]
[/color]

#9 jaspergtr Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

jaspergtr
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
Thanks for the write up Shahul!  Good job on the time!  (compared to the instructors only turning a sec faster time)

I think you may have sold me on the MK6.  The ONLY thing that may throw a wrench in this is the 2012 GT-R having more power...  I  may wait to see what other changes there will be.  I know a few people that have MK5's and they love them.  I think I'm going to look for a MK6 and test drive it this week.

GTM Street Mid-pipe
AP slotted rotors (Fr)
SFS Matte CF Wing
Rexpeed Front Lip

#10 ShahulX Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
The mk6 is just a good evolution of the V... Suspension, interior, Bluetooth audio/USB, better materials and plaid int is nicer, better rear diffuser and headlamps...a better than nothing elec diff.... Find a deal on a 2010 since the 11's are coming soon... I get 34.6 mpg hwy

[/b]
[/color]

#11 jaspergtr Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

jaspergtr
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,430 posts
Well, I say it's going to be my next car - I have ZERO intentions of using it as a daily - it will be for auto-x/track use only...  The GT-R is just suited too well for me NOT to be a daily (with the occasional track event).

GTM Street Mid-pipe
AP slotted rotors (Fr)
SFS Matte CF Wing
Rexpeed Front Lip

#12 ShahulX Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:38 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Don't you mean the other way around? Gtr will be a deticated track car for me and the gti will be autoX and some track

FYI anything suspension and brake wise for the mk5 should work for mk6... I have the eibach springs being installed finally.... Apr stage 1 next and carbonio intake, hawk hps pads

come check out golfmk6.com

[/b]
[/color]

#13 ShahulX Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

(killing cones lol)

Attached File  last_weekends_035.JPG   820.37K   20 downloads

Edited by ShahulX, 24 May 2010 - 08:41 PM.

[/b]
[/color]

#14 ShahulX Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:28 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Cones are hard to buff out of a clear bra.... Any suggestions?

[/b]
[/color]

#15 Justice Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:35 AM

Justice
  • Members
  • Sobchak Security

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts
Have you tried rubbing a clay bar over it, with some lube.

Nice videos btw.

Edited by Justice, 26 May 2010 - 05:36 AM.

2012 R8 GT Spyder FS: 2900 miles

#16 pi-man Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:43 AM

pi-man
  • Supporter
  • OnTrack Maniac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

View PostShahulX, on May 26 2010, 07:28 AM, said:

Cones are hard to buff out of a clear bra.... Any suggestions?
So, when you run, does each car actually help make a new track for the next guy by moving the cones around? :cheers: Looks like fun, I mightl have to try it some time.

Regarding the residue on your car, I've had a similar with R-compound tire residue on mine. It comes off the paint pretty easy but not the clear bra. If the clay bar idea doesn't work, I usually use a little rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. It takes a few seconds to penetrate but you don't need to press very hard. I have a couple of places where I scratched mine when cleaning before I discovered the alcohol solution (which does still take longer on the bra than on paint). I'm probably just going to remove mine and deal with any rock chips by repainting if necessary.

#17 ShahulX Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

View PostJustice, on May 26 2010, 07:35 AM, said:

Have you tried rubbing a clay bar over it, with some lube.

Nice videos btw.

No i havent...what kind of lube?

thanks about the videos, I even put the ones where I hit cones because I thought they were funny.... I got so much better by the end of the day that I was surprised.  The early vids were of the figure 8 drills we were doin

View Postpi-man, on May 26 2010, 09:43 AM, said:

So, when you run, does each car actually help make a new track for the next guy by moving the cones around? :rolf2: Looks like fun, I mightl have to try it some time.

Regarding the residue on your car, I've had a similar with R-compound tire residue on mine. It comes off the paint pretty easy but not the clear bra. If the clay bar idea doesn't work, I usually use a little rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. It takes a few seconds to penetrate but you don't need to press very hard. I have a couple of places where I scratched mine when cleaning before I discovered the alcohol solution (which does still take longer on the bra than on paint). I'm probably just going to remove mine and deal with any rock chips by repainting if necessary.

lol, nah, there are chalk marks on the asphault showing where the cones go so its exactly the same for every run.  I will try the rubbing alc I guess.  The clear bra took a beating from the cones.

Id go with you Pi, but the SCCA has no more autoX schools this season i think, but they have Autocrossers Inc competition in mid July.  Check the WDCR SCCA website and DLB racing, I think I posted the link in the Mid Atlantic forum.  I may go to that one since I canceled the June 5th FATT at Summit Point.  

Its ALOT more fun that i thought, its funny, they make fun of road racing saying its too boring becaue in autoX your arms and hands are ALWAYS moving and you REALLY have to be able to control the car.... spinning out a awd GTR with 325 R888's is pretty impressive lol....  I was in RRR most of the day, and RR OFF a couple times

Edited by ShahulX, 28 May 2010 - 07:59 AM.

[/b]
[/color]

#18 FL 4Motion Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

FL 4Motion
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 282 posts
Damn Shahul, looks and sounds like you had a blast in both cars. Congrats on the good driving.  

+1 to the rubbing alcohol solution for the clear bra marks btw.

2010 Magnetic Black NISMO 370z--current
2010 Super Silver GT-R Premium--sold
2009 Ivory Pearl GT-R Premium
--
sold

#19 svecias

svecias
  • Guests
Good story and good video. Gl ;)

#20 ShahulX Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Thanks guys, I'm getting better but still quite a novice... I'll try the rubbing alcholhol... Been almost a week and I haven't cleaned the car yet

[/b]
[/color]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users