Nissan GT-R Forum banner

DBA GTR or Modena 360 or Gallardo ?

10K views 62 replies 37 participants last post by  rajz06 
#1 ·
Im ready to jump on a supercar this summer! My original budget was 60-70k but to get what i really want i will push my budget 10-15k more!

So, has anyone here owned a Gallardo or Ferrari 360?

I know the GTR is the best car out of them but you can't deny the Ferrari or Lambo factor

Heres what im looking at

DBA GTRs 70-75k
Ferrari 360 60-70k
Gallardo 80k

I want to make my choice on price, reliability, and the best resell value in a year or two!

I want advise from someone who has driven them all or owned them before! Thank you so much!

#2 ·
I don't have any experience with the Gallardo, but I have plenty with the GTR and the Ferrari, and have owned both. I have to say, unless you really really want the "status" of owning a Ferrari or Lambo... the GTR hands down meets and exceeds what your looking for. Resale is the only uncertainty. Performance and reliability, the GTR wins.

#5 ·
DICK MAGNET for me is the door to FOREST OF CHICK, direct is not always good, better hang out with a cool guy that knows a lots of girl that attracts girl on the street LOL.

#6 ·
Gallardo or GTR. If you have a budget though the GTR hands down.

Lambo will be expensive to maintain and modify.

Another question would be, hownmany miles do you expect to out on the vehicle yearly. If you're talking 3-5k a year go with the Gallardo, 5-10k i'd swing to the GTR.

#7 ·
Price, then reliability it is obviously a DBA GTR as it will have a warranty. But if you are looking at wow factor/chick factor then def gallardo/360.

Get the Gallardo.

#8 ·
Well the Gallardos I've been looking at i can negotiate down to 80k and some dealers sell them with new clutch, maintenance and mods can be done at aftermarket shops like topspeed motorsports (15min away) and there are some E-gear transmission tunes that can lengthen the life of your clutch so that shouldn't be a problem, but has anyone here owned both of these cars? The GTR and the Gallardo to get a more accurate advice with pros and cons?

Thanks again

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ferrari is more of a dick magnet than the GTR.....and most mature women don't care about what kind of car you drive....

As for your question....what are your intentions with the car?....the 360 is dated but it's a Ferrari....and, well, it's a Ferrari....there's been 2 models since the 360 but its still a beautiful car....

The Lambo is also dated but not as much.....are you looking to turn heads or worry free car ownership?....Do you want a little attention or A LOT of attention?....is it a weekend toy or a daily driver?....lots of answers to better guide you but bottom line is what will make you happiest

Sent from my SM-N900V using GT-R Life mobile app

#13 ·
I waited a full year for my 360. Owned it from 2000 to 2005 and put 15K miles on it. F1 transmission. love-hate relationship. Early F1's were not reliable and jerky. Replaced with a 6 speed 04 Gallardo and later an E-gear 06 Gallardo. The one I miss is the 6speed G. Yes the GTR's performance is superior but the rattles and driving home 35 miles with half of my transmission at 40mph left a real bad taste in my mouth. Now on my 5th year, things are OK but quite ready to let it go for something a little more civilized. My senior body needs it.

#14 ·
As an someone who had both the Gallardo and 360, the Italians carries talking points and wow factor. Nobody wants to talk about GTR, but people will stop at gas stations, red lights, take pictures of you when you are in a Ferrari or Lambo.

Reliability on Italians, are not great, but you don't buy that for reliability. I visit my mechanic more often than I see my in-laws, and they live across the street! I'm going in for my 3rd clutch, and I only have 16k miles. One time I busted a hose, and the dealer charged me $1000. I do track my cars, but the GTR wins hands down.

The costs of buying all three are relatively the same, just the maintenance is where the price is different

It all depends what are you looking for, reliability and speed, GTR. But cruising and attention, get the Italian.

#15 ·
I already have a dd which is a FX37 with coilovers and CV3s, great big ddso i will keep it. i will drive the new car as much as i can, possibly the FX in the morning and the new car in the afternoon and weekends. Im 21 so thats why I'm debating on the 3 cars, i know the GTR would be the best all around specially the 2012+ but it would be interesting to own a lambo/ferrari at 21.

After all the hours of research i did this week i think the 360 is out of the picture unless i can find a red hardtop for 60k and put f430 wheels so it can look more modern but according to all the reviews the 360 is not even close to the Gallardo neverless the GTR

The Gallardo is an amazing machine but the interior on the 04/05 is not so good considering im 21 and love technology specially the nissan/infiniti backup camera, navigation and Bose system etc. the weak part in the Gallardo seems to be the Egrar, DOES IT SUCK THAT BAD??

the GTR is pretty much perfect and is the only one that I've driven out of the 3. However it does not have the lambo/ferrari factor or the "dick magnet" like you guys have been calling it lol. And i think a 2012 that i can buy for 75k will depreciate to 60k when i sell it in 2 years, which would make it more expensive to own than a ferrari or lambo because even though the other two are more expensive to maintain they have already depreciated most of their value since they're 7+ Years older.

Pretty hard choice between the Gallardo and GTR.. My question again does the Egar really suck that bad if driven 3-5 times a week ?

Thanks again for the help, i think ill get my best answer here instead of the ferrari and lambo forums where they probably wont be happy to be in the same category as a nissan

#17 ·
I've had them

355 f1
GALLARDO.
Gtr

Ferrari. Always working on it. Something was always broken.

GALLARDO E gear sucks.

Maintenance on both is very very high.
Had one bad valve in my Ferrari cost me 10k. (That was with belt service included)

Seems to me you have a budget. Just remember the cost to own (maintenance) the lambo or the Ferrari is like buying another car

In the lambo or Ferrari every Chevy z71 pickup with dual exhaust wants to race you.

I can only tell you my experience, yours could be totally different.

At the end of the day you probably already have your mind made up. If I could do it all over again I would have never bought either. And to top it all off they are both slow.

The GTR most people respect a little differently the the other two.

#18 ·
Its not really fair to compare the 355 to the 360 in terms of maintenance though, two totally different animals. The 355 requires a lot more money to maintain than a 360 does, and it is also older, so naturally more issues can arise.

I think the Ferrari, Lambo, and GTR are all fairly equal dick magnets though lol. I think the GTR is the better car out of the 3 though... the only thing the Gallardo and Ferrari have going for them comparatively is the "wow" factor.

#19 ·
Well im already aranging to rent a Gallardo for a full day and a GTR for a full day and get the full experience of every type of driving including traffic to make the right choice, and like i said the 360 is not much of an interest anymore unless i find one 20k cheaper than what my budget for a GTR or Gallardo is, and it must be red with F430 wheels! Dick magnet coming soon... no ****!

#20 ·
I have owned all 3... personally I liked my 360 and I am not really a ferrari fan, but it was red and convertible and knew how to draw attention, but the car did have overheating issues when ever I was stuck in traffic (summer in Texas) the Gallardo was faster, and like most lamborghini owners I drove it very hard and sold it before a major service was due. The GTR is very different from the exotic class cars, more daily friendly, but performance wise will blow the other 2 away.

#21 ·
Gallardo if you want driving to feel like an event (but avoid egear and get a manual) - or GTR if you want outright raw performance.

Gallardo always felt special to me whereas the GTR feels numb and clinical. Not saying it's bad, it's just a different experience. Be honest with yourself on what you're really going to use the car for and how much of the performance you're going to exploit on a daily basis around town.

I would say the 06 Gallardo's are really where it's at and 04/05 6-speeds are hard to find and you pay a premium so I still think its a significantly more expensive car than a DBA.

#22 ·
You're not going to find a decent Gallardo for $85k or less.

So with your funds, that leaves you with a 360 or a GTR. If you have a Ferrari dealership who can maintain a 15 year old Ferrari 360, then go with that. There really isn't any comparison between any 15 year old car and a GTR.

#27 ·
GT-R is a very forgiving car to own, not to mention much safer then the Italian counterparts. If you have to get a Ferrari go with a 360CS (Challenge Stradale) Will be the ones will appreciate very nicely in price. Just know there were a lot of gray market imported 360's and were notorious for the fuel sending unit top cracking on the plastic. And in light of recent Ferrari crashing off the side of a mountain road Ferrari's are very unforgiving cars to drive on the edge.

As for the Lambo you probably can a deal on those early model ones but again it's a sophisticated VW with a Lambo badge. Hence you can go into VW dealer and get some engine parts for the motor in the Gallardo.

Collector car status on the 09 GT-R is the Titanium Metallic Gray is probably the most sought after car right now. Lowest mile production car I have seen is a white one up in NJ with only 900 miles on it.

#33 ·
GT-R is a very forgiving car to own, not to mention much safer then the Italian counterparts. If you have to get a Ferrari go with a 360CS (Challenge Stradale) Will be the ones will appreciate very nicely in price. Just know there were a lot of gray market imported 360's and were notorious for the fuel sending unit top cracking on the plastic. And in light of recent Ferrari crashing off the side of a mountain road Ferrari's are very unforgiving cars to drive on the edge.
With a price range of $70k-$85k, he won't be able to get a CS, not even a salvage one. The few available for sale now range from about $140k to $200k depending on condition and miles.

#30 ·
I agree with Gilly. It seems that you're looking for the name more than the car itself. It's safe to say that anyone who owns a Gt-R can own an exotic sooner or later. I've been in the boat for years now but just because you can buy one doesn't mean you should. A Gt-R is the best of both worlds, exotic looks and performance at a bargain price. The attention you're ... I guess ... looking for, can be had with the Gt-R and you'll still be able to play with the big boys. Buying at 15 year old exotic, especially on a budget has recipe for disaster written all over it. You'll truly never be able to enjoy it because the cost associated with maintenance and parts is not cheap.

Have you thought about leasing? Maserati has some great deals right now.

#37 ·
Insurance on the FX37 is 185 ... GTR would be 285.... Bentley i got quoted 260... Im test driving another GTR tomorrow. The bentley i drove 3 days ago was very nice and has a w12 TT engine than can be tuned to almost 700hp but it weights 1000lbs more than my suv!!! It felt very heavy!

#38 ·
UPDATE:::

Got this one down to 58k which i drove today, lots of scratches and lots of miles

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=374590577&numRecords=15&firstRecord=1&zip=30047&searchType=both

And i also called this place and got this one down to 70k with is good for a 2012 but the other one is 12k less

http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=373690957&numRecords=15&firstRecord=16&zip=30047&searchType=both

They're both up to date 100% on service and maintenance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.