Nissan GT-R Forum banner

911 Turbo vs GTR - Big power reliability

12K views 47 replies 21 participants last post by  XLR82XS 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has owned both a big power 911 Turbo and a GTR.

Big power on the 911 Turbo being 800whp+ (996 or 997)

Just seems like the GTR is able and withstand bigger power "motor wise" and supporting part wise. I don't see any talks about ringing the block, running gigantic head studs......etc to help support the power like you have to do on the 911 Turbo.

Thanks!!

#5 ·
Just wondering if anyone has owned both a big power 911 Turbo and a GTR.

Big power on the 911 Turbo being 800whp+ (996 or 997)

Just seems like the GTR is able and withstand bigger power "motor wise" and supporting part wise. I don't see any talks about ringing the block, running gigantic head studs......etc to help support the power like you have to do on the 911 Turbo.

Thanks!!
It's the opposite of the bold and underlined part of your quote, as others have posted.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)

Stock 457.9whp
Cobb Stage 1 OTS 93 Octane Map 499.7whp
Cobb Stage 1 Custom Tune by Mitch McKee 545.6whp

I just bought a 2011 997.2 turbo w/ PDK Trans on Wednesday. (Dyno tuned on Thursday.)

Saw the Aqua Blue Metallic Paint and had to have it!

565whp with an ECU Only Cobb AP Reflash.

Being direct injection in the 2010+ they are limited to around 600whp. (Some using methanol injection in an attempt to bandaid the factory fueling for more HP.)

But what an AMAZING car. I absolutely love it.

The 996/997.1 (through 2009) is what you are hunting if big power is your goal. If your budget allows, the 997.1 Manual Trans (2007-2009) would be my pick.

With that said, I chose to go with the new engine/transmission platform found in the 2010+

Give me 600whp with full bolt-ons and I'm completely content with my new daily driver.

The GTR will always be my first love and my preferred platform for REALLY modding.

The Porsche is a great drivers car, smaller and super nimble. The PDK transmission is silky smooth, offering a better experience than the transmission found in the GTR.

They both have their place and I'd personally take a GTR if HP was my end goal. Cheaper to modify and if you prefer the Auto transmission, the Porsche wont suit you. (As the PDK cars are HP limited due to Direction Injection.)

Photo credits go to our in-house photographer Court Duncan. (Skills!)

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)

Stock 457.9whp
Cobb Stage 1 OTS 93 Octane Map 499.7whp
Cobb Stage 1 Custom Tune by Mitch McKee 545.6whp

I just bought a 2011 997.2 turbo w/ PDK Trans on Wednesday. (Dyno tuned on Thursday.)

Saw the Aqua Blue Metallic Pain and had to have it!

565whp with an ECU Only Cobb AP Reflash.
What will that turn in the 1/4 ? Ballpark ? 135+?

How is the rigidity of the convertibles for that power level (600hp)

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was planning to go last night, but didn't finish up Angela's SBD800 package road tuning until almost midnight.

It will have to be next Friday night for Test-N-Tune.

I expect it to trap 130 MPH with an ECU only reflash.

With full bolt-ons car should make 600-615whp on 93 octane @ trap around 135 MPH with a Drag Radial. (No E85 option due to Direct Injection limitations.)

I'll probably mix in a little unleaded race gas for safety.

http://www.porschebo...-S-runs-9-8-135

Couldn't offer any feedback on the Convertible, as I bought a Hard Top with Sunroof.

#11 ·
I have a 997tt. It had a Switzer gt30 kit before I went big power. It made 830whp on e85. I was beating alpha 9 gtr's and a lot of other fast cars. When evoms opened the motor to build it I had bent rods though. I have pictures if you want to see. The rest of the engine was fine though. IMO 700whp is the max on a stock Porsche engine. I've been there trust me!

#18 ·
No the last solid Porsche that you can actually modify past 650whp is the 2009 models. This will be my last Porsche as the new ones are not my style and I think it's rediculous that they are 180k and you can't modify past 650whp.

#20 ·
IMO the best GTR to have is a alpha 12 like Nike21763 has or another gt35 build from Boostlogic, T1, SPE. After that you will have engine problems regardless. I have a lot of friends with gtr's so I know. I'm not going to say names or give builds so please don't ask.

Hopefully Nike will eventually sell me his car ;)

#27 ·
Yumaverick, u mis read my dual reply in one. One was for gt30 man about the tuning for TQ.

The second reply was for u inrelation to the sale of the 997. I am also buddies with vinny who has no relation to joe. And yes he sold his 997 for a lambo and built a stage 3. We are all from the same area here on Long Island.

#28 ·
My bad I thought the first one was a question for me. My appologies...

Like I said I thought they were brothers. I'm not from Long Island, I do speak with some of the guys though here and there. You know the car I'm talking about that got sold right?

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
The old 997.1 is better than the 997.2 for hight power goal . the 997.2 PDK is too fast but u cant go more than 600whp as the transmission will not hold and the fuel system too even the engine . the 997.1 has GT block as its much better than what the 3.8 has . the PDK is great gear but its not faster than the GTR . we installed full bolt's-on on 997.2 and the gear is gone after 3-2 pulls on 590whp .

#39 · (Edited by Moderator)
Stock Porsche Turbo go for it but make sure you line up really good tech who knows them and work with a reputable Porsche shop once the car is out of warranty.. Modding a 911 turbo is interesting, should something go wrong might have a more harder time sourcing certain items then you would for a GT-R. Trade off of owning a 911 turbo is the POC and PCA track day events

Asides from all of the power mods that can be had for a 911, problem is doing certain upgrades like a locker (LSD) 911 there are not many people out there that can rip them down and put them back properly. Any body or items 911 related are $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

When its time to sell a 911 if its all stock and in perfect condition it can turn out to be a very very long wait.. GT-R if its a proper clean stocker or a proper build by one of the shops it won't stand around for long. Being the next GT-R will be Hybrid the prices on R35's are goning to go up and 09's probably might be close to bottoming out in the market now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.