Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Help with Revozport Duckbill Trunk not fitting/closing

8K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Saints 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Had a Revozport FRP trunk painted and installed, and I had to fiddle with it a bit more with some washers to get this fitment. It looks like the trunk does not close all the way, and has fitment problems.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the trunk to look more closed?

Do I need to perhaps somehow loosen the bottom bracket of the trunk mechanism, and see if there is any play there? (Don't think so)

Is there any way to make the trunk close down tighter?

Thanks!

Will

*Update RevoZport is sending a new trunk. Will update with fitment.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
hopefullt it was not from that bad batch a while ago, there was a thread that turned into a real shit show. many pissed customers and refunds. hopefully you did not get one of those and yours needs an easy fix. i personally would not go near a revozport trunk

#3 ·
Good to know. Great price on one on eBay right now.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Before everyone immediately blames the manufacturer (as it appears that s a common theme here on this forum in the past few years, or starts reciting incorrect information (which is already starting)...

1) Did you test fit the FRP trunk before paint? (personally, I didn't even know RevoZport made their trunk in FRP anymore) - if so, how was fitment BEFORE paint (just an FYI - it is 100% recommended for any part to be test fitted, adjustments made BEFORE paint - especially FRP parts)

2) Who painted the trunk? - as this could have major implications if adjustments needed to be made prior to paint, especially on FRP products (which are unfinished parts)

3 What shop installed the trunk (from those photos - that trunk is installed horribly)

Once that info is known - might be able to help diagnose the problem - installing an aftermarket trunk (on any vehicle platform) is not as straight forward as some may think.

#8 ·
Tried it in before, the shop was slamming on the quality, saying it fit like crap.

I looked at instructions, and saw that there were fitment problems in past, and since they were painting my bumper at same time, I told them to mess around best they can with adjustments.

They painted the trunk , matched super silver perfectly

They tried to mess with the trunk for hours to install, cant get it to fit right.

But to answer your question, it was test fitted, but I had thought that the final install would be better, but there doesnt seem to be any fine adjustments to make on the bracket.

#11 ·
So...

The shop "test fitted", knew there was fitment issues, decided to paint a product (which many times makes fitment worse as paint add's additional dimensions to a product), even if they are small, this could negatively impact fitment, especially on something like a trunk that needs to line up pretty perfectly to fit) - and this is the "manufacturers" fault?

FRP products, when they arrive, are unfinished products - thus, during the test fit - adjustments are made to it, sometimes sanding/shaving are required - then the product goes to paint once that is all done (which obviously fixes any of the "adjustments" from a visual aspect)...

I am by no means standing up for a product that doesn't fit - so, please understand that...

The issue I have with this, is that a "shop" test fit a product, realized it might have fitment issues, continued to paint a product (knowing it didn't fit), then try and refit it - do you see how that doesn't make much sense at all?

What should have happened - as soon as the shop realized there was a "fitment issues", would of been to contact Vivid - who would of immediately reached out to RevoZport - they would of probably asked for photos from your shop, tried to assist with trouble shooting, and if the fitment issue was not able to be resolved, sent out a replacement trunk and had you send back to defective one to Vivid...

The reason I know this process is I was one of the 4, not "many" that had an issue with my Carbon version from them about 1.5 years ago - and unlike some of the misconceptions, RevoZport reached out to me personally, apologized, asked for photos, they agreed there was an issue, asked me if I wanted a refund or a replacement, I said replacement, they fixed the mold, and send me a new one as soon as it was ready (free of charge), then asked me to destroy the defective version.

So again - I would be more pissed off at a shop that painted a product knowing it didn't fit - thats just body shop 101 to me.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Not pissed at shop, they were slamming on quality. Like I said I had to get bumper fixed at same time, could not wait another 4 months, thought, how bad could it be, must be just some adjustments.

The trunk is so off theres no sanding. It does not close to the right height.

I'm just hoping there is something I am over looking

I'm not saying Revozport is not a good company, I am dealing with them now.

I'm just hoping somone has tips on how to install other than the play on the trunk bracket (4 screws that hold the trunk in).

#13 ·
Have you also looked at the rear bumper - you said that was getting fixed too - that is a pretty critical part of the trunk fitting properly...

The OEM brackets that hold the trunk down could of very easily been bent/adjusted when the OEM one was removed, or, when the rear bumper was removed - thus, adding to the fitment issue...

I am still just shocked that even though you/your shop knew the trunk had fitment issues, you continued to have it painted, and thought that would make fitment better?

FRP in general is lower quality/unfinished - it pretty much is designed to arrive, be manipulated to fit perfectly, then refinished, and installed...hence why an FRP version is $1400 retail vs $1900 retail for CF (the $500.00 is for the work mentioned previously)

I am not too sure where you are located - but maybe I can help in directing you to a shop that is known for aero mods/installation for a second opinion.

#14 ·
Located in Los Angeles. I picked up FRP cuz I was going to paint it, but if I knew it would not fit, I would have paid for the carbon then painted it.

Bumper lines up perfectly, car was not in accident (verified by several sources), just scraped bumper from the dealer lot.

If you know anyone in LA let me know. I just think the trunk is slightly distorted. I may have to pay to get it repainted and wait a long time for a new one =(

#17 ·
I also bought the full carbon duckbill ($1850) and waited 4 months for a RevoZsport in mid 13' supposedly after the bad batch. When i got it, it fit crooked and had a blemish on the top. RevoZ wasn't so quick to help me out, but the vendor eventually did refund. I went with a Chinese made duckbill and never looked back. Don't get me wrong, the weave is better on the RevoZ and its full carbon, but to me it wasn't worth fitment hassles and huge price difference. RevoZ is the only one to offer the 3rd brake light for more money, hopefully they don't still leak water.

~Dv8

#19 ·
Willpower,

Really not trying to be a downer here by any means - but a quality shop would of 100% checked/known that as well (referring to the 3rd brake light)...the 3rd brake light was an issue I believe like 3-4 years ago (I am sure you can find the posts about that as well)...

Honestly - take the trunk to Auto Explosion - have them take a look at it - see what they say, and go from there.

#21 ·
No worries, either way, don't worry, it can get resolved (either replaced or repaired (pretty sure))...

Always sucks when stuff doesn't fit exactly right - one of the worst parts about modding a car.

#26 ·
Yea, kinda sad when the cheaper eBay products fit and look better than the 2x more expensive "real thing"

Sent from my iPad using GT-R Life mobile app

#29 ·
Saw the car in person today. Was it the new trunk that was on there? Didnt notice any malalignment, though i was more mezmorized by ur rexpeed lip and ss lol

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
*Update RevoZport is sending a new trunk. Will update with fitment.
Willpower, any updates on this? Discovered this thread while doing research. About to buy a CF Revozport myself. Thanks!!!

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
If you received a new trunk lid you didn't need one by the photos I viewed that you posted. The problem is very easy to resolve. First of all a painted CF trunk will have no effect on fitment issue whatsoever I assure you. The paint and clear coat if applied are literally micrometers of height on top and the edges not even noticeable by the naked eye. It's nothing that would block or hinder closing or sealing a trunk. There are 3 things to adjust in order to get a trunk lid to seat properly. #1 Check your hinges connected to the trunk's shocks. Sometimes you will have to shim one or two and even all of the hinge bolts in order to make the edge of the lid lower or higher by adding or removing washers. #2 Adjusting the striker. The striker is the latching mechanism located in the middle of the rear fascia and centered up top. Just remove the trunk's inner skin located behind the tail lights for easier access. The striker can be adjusted with the two 10mm bolts by moving the striker down or up and side to side. #3 is adjusting your bump stop tabs and hopefully you transferred those from your OEM trunk lid to your CF lid. The bump stop tabs can be pulled out and turned to raise or lower the height of the lid and then pushed back in to lock it's saved position.

I just went through all of this with my Seibon OEM CF trunk....It was a nightmare and I don't recommend unless you have all the correct tools and don't mind having to drill out the stupid torque bolts out of the OEM hinges. Also there is some clipping and wire rerouting to do as well so that you can still open and close your trunk lid with your key fob or the button inside the car.

Hope this helps good luck! PM me if you get stuck I'll try and help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.