32 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:18 PM

I’m trying to figure out the best/safe way to gradually go FBO.

I know the reasons behind needing a tune when installing 3” intakes. I’ve seen posts indicating that some guys have done only the midpipe and gotten a tune.

What necessitates bigger injectors? Is it the combination of intake and exhaust?

Is it possible or worth it to do intake, exhaust and tune without injectors? Would somebody doing a custom tune look at the logs and say "hey, you need larger injectors"?
2013 Deep Blue Pearl Premium GT-R
Armytrix Ti Exhaust/Race Y-pipe

#2 Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

If you log the stock tune the injector duty can hit 100%... so pretty much anymore boost than stock requires injectors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
- Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Master Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

#3 GT-Rpilot

GT-Rpilot

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

Typical staged route to FBO is as follows:

1) Midpipe and tune (need to decide for midpipe whether catless, catted, resonated, non-resonated)
2) 3" intake
3) Downpipes and injectors (1000cc minimum, but may want larger if you are planning on E85 or turbo upgrade in the future)
4) E85 flex fuel kit and fuel pumps

There are two camps on step 2 - one is that adding the intakes will require injectors, other is that you can do it without injectors (definitely need them with step 3). I did 1-3 at once so I can't comment.

Catback exhaust is primarily for better sound, so you will only see minimal gains; therefore it's not considered a step - the OEM catback will flow just fine at FBO levels.
v/r

GT-Rpilot

2012 GT-R Premium: FBO E85
- GotBoost 3" Intakes
- GotBoost Flex Fuel Kit
- GTC 90mm Cast Downpipes
- Linney Titan 102 Ti Exhaust
- ASNU 1100cc Injectors
- ASNU 330L Fuel Pumps
- EcuTek Phase 5 - Tuned by Ben Linney

Previous Rides: 1971 240Z - 1982 280ZX - 1984 300ZX - 1990 300ZXTT (2) - 1960/61 B-52H Stratofortress

#4 Castilly

Castilly

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

I got the midpipe first without a tune. Had it installed for about 6 months while i gathered the rest of the parts: intakes, DPs, injectors, flex fuel, and fuel pumps. Once I had all the parts I just installed the rest all together so I only had to pay for tuning once

2012 turbo inlets

SBD midpipe/downpipes

GotBoost intakes

Denso fuel pumps

ID 1000cc injectors

GotBoost flex fuel kit

GotBoost oil catch can

Tuned by Bill @ SiR

#5 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 05:29 AM

Thanks guys.

My Armytrix exhaust came with catless midpipe so that's my first step into the FBO world. Where I live has full emissions testing so catless downpipes won't be an option for me. Limited availability of E85 will keep me on 93 regular gas so i won't be doing fuel pump.

It looks like my next step ought to be the injectors. I assume I can safely drive around with bigger injectors on the stock ECU, correct?

My final step would be 3" intakes and the tune together.

#6 Boostd4

Boostd4

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:08 AM

Thanks guys.

My Armytrix exhaust came with catless midpipe so that's my first step into the FBO world. Where I live has full emissions testing so catless downpipes won't be an option for me. Limited availability of E85 will keep me on 93 regular gas so i won't be doing fuel pump.

It looks like my next step ought to be the injectors. I assume I can safely drive around with bigger injectors on the stock ECU, correct?

My final step would be 3" intakes and the tune together.

Nope, you'll need a tune for the larger injectors. You should just do the intakes and injectors at the same time, this way you'll just need to tune once.
2009 PW GTR Premium
Jack's Transmissions RR600, Cobb AP V3, CBRD 76mm Midpipe, SBD Catless DPs,
Visconti Billet Fuel Basket, Walbro 485 Pumps, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, GB 3" Intakes, GB Flex Fuel, Visconti Fuel Pressure Kit
Tim Bailey Flex Fuel e-Tune

#7 LKNCPA

LKNCPA

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 08:19 AM

I got the midpipe first without a tune. Had it installed for about 6 months while i gathered the rest of the parts: intakes, DPs, injectors, flex fuel, and fuel pumps. Once I had all the parts I just installed the rest all together so I only had to pay for tuning once

Did the midpipe alone dramatically change the sound of the car? Was your midpipe catless and/or Non-resonated? I'm looking at doing a mid pipe for mine.
2017 Black GTR Premium
2012 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ - 6" Fabtech Lift, 35" TOYO Open Country Tires, Magnuson Supercharger, Kooks Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust
2013 BMW X5M (Sold)
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1(Sold)
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS (Sold)

#8 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

Nope, you'll need a tune for the larger injectors. You should just do the intakes and injectors at the same time, this way you'll just need to tune once.

I was planning on doing the intakes myself and letting a shop do the injectors. Would i be able to get injectors installed then drive the car back home (2 miles) without the intakes/tune being done yet?

#9 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 10:37 AM

Did the midpipe alone dramatically change the sound of the car? Was your midpipe catless and/or Non-resonated? I'm looking at doing a mid pipe for mine.

Armytrix is loud. Very loud at times under certain conditions. It is catless and un-resonated.

I'm not sure how much of that loudness is a result of the mid pipe and how much is the exhaust.

#10 Cutter_651

Cutter_651

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:00 AM

The power is in the Flexfuel conversion... and it is safer for your engine. All the rest adds up of course but the beast thrives on corn juice. I am at Stage 4 on the list above with ID1300 injectors and very happy with how the car is running.

I don't imagine spending more on go-fast until I have finished upgrading the suspension and brakes. Then comes Trannie w/cooler. Then comes engine build, intercoolers and turbos. The plan is Xona Reds tuned to about 900HP with a fast rise and flat torque curve to the redline.
2015 GTR Black Edition - Pearl White

#11 Boostd4

Boostd4

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:11 AM

I was planning on doing the intakes myself and letting a shop do the injectors. Would i be able to get injectors installed then drive the car back home (2 miles) without the intakes/tune being done yet?

If you are paying to have someone do the injectors...just have them do the intakes while they are in there because the intake manifold has to come off anyway. I wouldn't drive the car 2 feet without tuning it.
2009 PW GTR Premium
Jack's Transmissions RR600, Cobb AP V3, CBRD 76mm Midpipe, SBD Catless DPs,
Visconti Billet Fuel Basket, Walbro 485 Pumps, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, GB 3" Intakes, GB Flex Fuel, Visconti Fuel Pressure Kit
Tim Bailey Flex Fuel e-Tune

#12 Cutter_651

Cutter_651

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

If you are paying to have someone do the injectors...just have them do the intakes while they are in there because the intake manifold has to come off anyway. I wouldn't drive the car 2 feet without tuning it.

Concur.

#13 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:10 PM

... I wouldn't drive the car 2 feet without tuning it.

Concur.

Then that means that I have to get him to do the tune too or get the car trailered to the house.

#14 Cutter_651

Cutter_651

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

Well, speaking for myself, I would have the same guy do all three things. That could be you if you feel comfortable with it all. For myself, I would be fine with the bolt on part, but I just don't have enough understanding yet to handle the tuning.

That said, you may be able to find off the shelf tunes that will work fine. Talk to Cobb or whatever brand tuner you have. Maybe you could have the tune ready to rock and flash it at the shop after the injectors are installed.

I think it would be pretty safe to carefully drive the car a short distance to where it will be tuned with the new intakes. I don't think that would be true for the new injectors. It may not even run. Others may not agree and I will be interested to see what is said about all that.

#15 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:11 PM

My plan was to do the etune route as we don't have any local expertise with GTR tuning. I'll have to pick a tuner and talk to him to see what he thinks would be the best way to do this.

#16 import36

import36

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:21 AM

My plan was to do the etune route as we don't have any local expertise with GTR tuning. I'll have to pick a tuner and talk to him to see what he thinks would be the best way to do this.

interested in finding out the best way to go about this also. i'd also have to go the e-tune route so how do you get the car (tune-wise) to the point where it's safely driveable once everything is installed if the shop can't tune.

2015 Nissan GTR BE Pearl White

Follow my car's progress on Instagram => @nm_r35

#17 BlueBeast

BlueBeast

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:35 AM

I haven't totally checked out the process but I'm getting the impression that you can tell the tuner what mods you have and they will send you an "Off The Shelf" tune that will get you up and running in a safe mode. Then you'll run the car to gather the data logs and send them the logs and they will work at giving you the custom tune for your setup. You may need to repeat the logging and receiving a new tune a few times to get it right.

#18 Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:38 AM

I haven't totally checked out the process but I'm getting the impression that you can tell the tuner what mods you have and they will send you an "Off The Shelf" tune that will get you up and running in a safe mode. Then you'll run the car to gather the data logs and send them the logs and they will work at giving you the custom tune for your setup. You may need to repeat the logging and receiving a new tune a few times to get it right.

Yup! We have "off the shelf" tunes for both Cobb and EcuTek on our website at shop.weaponsgradeperformance.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
- Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Master Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

#19 Tim@SpeedByDesign

Tim@SpeedByDesign

R35 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:05 AM

interested in finding out the best way to go about this also. i'd also have to go the e-tune route so how do you get the car (tune-wise) to the point where it's safely driveable once everything is installed if the shop can't tune.

You'll want to plan ahead. For example, customer's that purchase parts & tuning through us, we set up with the tuner ahead of time. Usually by the time the parts are installed into the car, the customer already has his first tune map ready to go. From there, the E-tuning starts. We try and make it as seamless as possible.

SBD *NEW* 90mm Cast Downpipes: on sale for only $799!

*NEW* SBD675 Power Package - Turn Key Bolt On Power Package for new GTR Owners! $2995

SBD700 (600+ whp) 9 Second 1/4 Mile Power Package on sale for only $4,599

10.025 @ 135.12mph on 93 Octane (Elganja- Stock Turbo 93 Oct World Record Holder)
9.870 @ 137.02mph on e85 (Shawn B- Canada Stock Turbo Record Holder)
9.575 @ 141.43mph on e85 (Elganja- E85 Stock Turbo World Record Holder)

We now carry most major brands of GTR parts! PM me today with anything you're looking for!
Call/Text 508-567-8748
Email: Sales@Spdbydesign.com
Find me on Facebook here --> https://www.facebook...tim.ferreira.92

#20 franzcars

franzcars

GTR-KID

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:29 AM

Depending on which brand of tuner you go with ie cobb/ecutek you might be able to get OTS maps that are setup for each level, or 3" and injectors. That's what we did, just injectors, intakes and midpipe and a ots tune
2013 Premium Deep Blue Pearl with 285/35 PSS's front, 18" NT05R's rear, SIR USM's, HKS Upgraded Actuators, TiTek 90mm Downpipes, AAM Resonated Midpipe, GotBoost intakes, GotBoost SD kit, Visconti Flex Fuel, Bosch 2200's, Fore tripple pump with with twin 485's DIY hardwired, Ecutek Etune by Bill@SprayItRacing
Appearance: TSW Nurburing rear, Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn with quad backup lights, always on front DRLs, Diode Dynamics LED City, Trunk, Map and License Plate lights.

530AWHP with a Cobb OTS stage 1 only
555AWHP with MP/tune from Linney
Best ET 10.52@128 with midpipe/tune/NT05R's
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users