25 replies to this topic

#1 G9N

G9N

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

Before I get flamed for it, I did use the search and have spent much time reading through articles but maybe I missed something.

I'm getting ready to put on a new set of tires. I've decided to run MPSS. I'm on the fence between running 285 square or a slight staggered 285/295 set-up. I was wondering if anyone has run both the 285 square and 285/295 set-up to weigh in on the differences. I mainly road course my car with the occassional drag day. I'm currently in the process of upgrading to a Alpha 7 package so I will have a bit more power to deal with putting down. I considered running 285/335 but I personally don't feel comfortable running that set-up on stock width rims. As one last caveat, the 295 tires are $77 more per tire so another question would be is the difference between the 285 and the 295 worth the additional $77?

Edited by G9N, 01 January 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#2 dLad

dLad

R.I.P. Paul Walker

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,771 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Where are you located? 285 square is very popular. I don't think the extra $77 is worth the 295 rears. I am located on long Island and have a few new sets of 285/35/20 MPSS's. That's why I asked where you're located...

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

White (Now Blue Chrome Wrapped) 2013 GTR
10.890 @ 122.11mph (stock)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 hunter

hunter

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

why not try 265/35/20

and 305/30/20 for the rear....

all MPSS or MPcup2

Next tires for me are these in sport cup 2 sticky compound ..

Edited by hunter, 01 January 2017 - 05:09 PM.

GTR GUY IN AZ

#4 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:05 PM

why not try 265/35/20
and 305/30/20 for the rear....
all MPSS or MPcup2

Next tires for me are these in sport cup 2 sticky compound ..

Because you need a whole lot more front grip than you need for the rear if you care about turning a wheel .

#5 haul s

haul s

I Haul Ass

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:13 PM

I run 285 square michelins, and wish I would've gone with wider tires in the back. 285 look pretty stretched on rear BE wheels, and the car is pretty tail-happy now on-power at corner track out, feel like I have to manage the throttle more than I had to with factory Dunlops.
2014 Nissan GT-R Black Edition - haulin' ass!
Posted Image
---
2004 Audi B6 S4 Sedan MT6 - SOLD - OG ass hauler
Brilliant Red, Black/Silver

#6 dewaxed

dewaxed

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

285/295 MPSS on BE wheels here. The 295 looks good on the rear.

#7 GT-R Marine

GT-R Marine

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

I would have gone 295 in the rear but was planning on possibly dismount/mount rotating front to rear later down the road. The thing is, I haven't had to do it yet and not sure if I will go through the trouble as they are wearing really well front to back so far. Plus I'm worried about running the risk of tire place damaging my wheels/tires during the dismount and mount process. Another good thing about 285 squared is a perfect size match all around which is best for the GT-R's AWD drivetrain. Even better than the stock setup. As far as rear launching grip goes, in my experience the MPSSs grab much better than the stock summer Dunlops. You just have to get the tire pressures right. I have found that 26.5 PSI cold all around in the summertime is the sweet spot for ultimate launch grip. It just goes with no drama. In the cooler months, I raise the PSI to the recommended 29-30 PSI all around since I don't mess around as much and that more PSI is needed with the cooler temps. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 EvoXGTR

EvoXGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:10 PM

If you do road course and are upgrading to an Alpha 7, ditch the PSS and get some R888s or other tires IMO.

I hate my PSS lol

#9 GT-R_NOVA

GT-R_NOVA

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

I'm running 295/335 MPSS on stock wheels with no issues....what not try 295 square?

2010 SS GT-R

GO: Go Fast Bits BOV's, 3" GotBoost intakes with green filters, APR cast catless downpipes, HKS resonated midpipe, T1R catback, ANSU 1100cc fuel injectors, DW165C fuel pumps, Ecutek tuned by Ben Linney GTC, Stop Tech stainless steel brake lines, DBA 5000 slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads

SHOW: BE shift knob, Rexpeed matte carbon fender emblem covers, Rexpeed matte carbon stereo surround, JDM clear front markers, LED conversion

#10 G9N

G9N

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Being the rookie that I am, is it important to just have equal sized tires for the diff or is just the overall rotating diameter?

#11 G9N

G9N

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

I'm located in SW FL so I don't think that will work out too well for me.

Where are you located? 285 square is very popular. I don't think the extra $77 is worth the 295 rears. I am located on long Island and have a few new sets of 285/35/20 MPSS's. That's why I asked where you're located...

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

#12 xaappx

xaappx

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

Will 295 not fit up front? I'm surprised the AWD doesn't get affected by upping the front width but leaving rear stock size. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 GT-R Marine

GT-R Marine

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Will 295 not fit up front?

I'm surprised the AWD doesn't get affected by upping the front width but leaving rear stock size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have done 295 up front and claimed no issues. I do remember though that you need to be at stock height (not lowered) or it will rub.

The AWD system is most healthy with equal tire/wheel overall diameter from front to rear. The width of the tires have nothing to do with it and won't effect anything.

#14 G9N

G9N

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:49 PM

So if I'm understanding correctly we can run other tire sizes as long as we keep both the fronts and rears within a certain limit of one another? For example we could run 275/30 20 (26.8"D) front and 325/25 20 (26.3"D) rear and the only thing negatively affected would be the speedo?

People have done 295 up front and claimed no issues. I do remember though that you need to be at stock height (not lowered) or it will rub. The AWD system is most healthy with equal tire/wheel overall diameter from front to rear. The width of the tires have nothing to do with it and won't effect anything. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 GT-R Marine

GT-R Marine

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:30 PM

So if I'm understanding correctly we can run other tire sizes as long as we keep both the fronts and rears within a certain limit of one another? For example we could run 275/30 20 (26.8"D) front and 325/25 20 (26.3"D) rear and the only thing negatively affected would be the speedo?

You got it!

#16 xaappx

xaappx

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

The AWD system is most healthy with equal tire/wheel overall diameter from front to rear. The width of the tires have nothing to do with it and won't effect anything.

Width of the tires affects traction which affects how the car reacts. The system is set up for the stock 255/285 combo. But upping to a 285 square you're increasing the front end grip but keeping rear end grip same.

I cant imagine this doesn't affect how the AWD system responds.

Id be curious to know what size wheels/tires professional teams run on our cars.

#17 GT-R Marine

GT-R Marine

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:21 AM

Width of the tires affects traction which affects how the car reacts. The system is set up for the stock 255/285 combo. But upping to a 285 square you're increasing the front end grip but keeping rear end grip same.

I cant imagine this doesn't affect how the AWD system responds.

Id be curious to know what size wheels/tires professional teams run on our cars.

Your front grip is increased yes but this has no ill effects on the AWD. Remember the GT-R stock wheels are still staggered no matter what tire sizes you go with at 10.5 rear and 9.5 front. MPSSs by design are made a little narrower to size compared to the Dunlop run flats and others. You need that little extra width in the front when going with MPSSs especially. That's why many owners go with 295 rear and 285 front to make up for it. The only trade off with that is small diameter difference front to rear but not enough to cause any issues.

I along with many others are using the square setup with great results and no ill effects. Never gotten any warnings of clutch overheat even when driving aggressively.

I do know when the front to rear diameter difference gets too large there will be problems and damage to drivetrain if not corrected.

I'll let others chime in on this to explain further.

#18 emcstnative

emcstnative

GTRide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:51 AM

Is there an allowed tolerance by Nissan between the front to back RPM before problems start with the AWD system?  I've seen people running the 285/35f & 305/30r setup, which has a 2.4% difference (724 vs 742 RPM).  If someone rolls into a dealership to have a POS or other required interval service done with these differences in tire ratios, is Nissan going to deny claims for transmission/AWD failures? 

#19 GT-R Marine

GT-R Marine

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

Is there an allowed tolerance by Nissan between the front to back RPM before problems start with the AWD system?  I've seen people running the 285/35f & 305/30r setup, which has a 2.4% difference (724 vs 742 RPM).  If someone rolls into a dealership to have a POS or other required interval service done with these differences in tire ratios, is Nissan going to deny claims for transmission/AWD failures? 

The stock summer Dunlops actually have an rpm difference of 745 rear and 750 front.

The 285/295 MPSS combo have an rpm difference of 740 rear and 746 front. Still totally fine.

The 285/285 square setup is exactly equal front to rear and best for the AWD system.

There are other options out there with staggered yet exactly equal front to rear rpm. For example, the MPSS 285-35/335-30 combo is exact and the Nitto NT05 275-40/315-35 is exact as well.

Edited by GT-R Marine, 10 January 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#20 emcstnative

emcstnative

GTRide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

I recently picked up new Vorsteiner V-FF-103's and am looking to get MPSS on them, but am confused about just how much ratio between the front and back is allowed/tolerable.  Not too concerned about grip since I don't track, but desire a good looking setup on the new rims.  I currently have stock MPSS sizes on the OEM's, but they look a little small.

I looked at Tirebuyer and Tirerack and couldn't find any MPSS in the 335/30 size - only Pirelli.  

Looked harder and found that Michelin DOES make that size, it's just hard to come by.

Edited by emcstnative, 10 January 2017 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users