18 replies to this topic

#1 JGreenwood

JGreenwood

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

Going to try removing existing clear bra in preparation a new one in the next few months. It has been on the car for about 5 years. I easily removed it from the rear trunk lid and the a-pillars. The bumper, partial hood and partial fenders are still on the car and appear to be a little tougher to remove. There are also a few spots where rocks have peeled back a few spots on the front bumper where they went through the clear bra. I have a steamer ready to go, but wasn't sure of any other tips or tricks anyone could recommend.

#2 XPEL

XPEL

XPEL - Sponsor

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

Removing the film can be a time consuming process, as far as removing..the best thing we've found is steam and patience. 

Removing the Film

Professional removal of the film is recommended. However, when professional removal is not possible, the film may be removed as follows:

• Warm the film with a heat gun or hair dryer to loosen the adhesive. 170° is the recommended temperature for this process. Keep the heat source moving to avoid melting the film or damaging the paint.
  • Peel one corner of the film up with your fingernail.
  • Pull the film towards you at a shallow angle less than 45 degrees (see figure 8a). This angle is important to ensure sure that the adhesive comes off with the film rather than staying on the paint. The film should “stretch” off the car.
  • If any adhesive is left on the car, use a general adhesive remover to help loosen it.

XPEL_Instructional.Car_.Graphic_Gray.jpg

#3 patgilm

patgilm

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 07:35 PM

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. With cheap ass Nissan paint don't be surprised if the clear coat comes off the bumpers. My clear coat peeled off with under 5k miles before I even put Xpel on. My installer told me he was putting a clear bra on the front lip of a brand new GTR and while installing it the clear coat started peeling off. Unacceptable IMO.

#4 Max_Gtr

Max_Gtr

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. With cheap ass Nissan paint don't be surprised if the clear coat comes off the bumpers. My clear coat peeled off with under 5k miles before I even put Xpel on. My installer told me he was putting a clear bra on the front lip of a brand new GTR and while installing it the clear coat started peeling off. Unacceptable IMO.

I got mine installed when I got the car, and was told that clear bra shouldn't stay on the car more than 6 years. Now that you mentioned clear coat peeling of i don't think i want to ever get it removed. :nervous:

#5 I_GottaGTR

I_GottaGTR

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

steamer from Macy's...works great 

/Users/Heinrich/Desktop/L1090813.jpg

#6 siamnet

siamnet

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

I got mine installed when I got the car, and was told that clear bra shouldn't stay on the car more than 6 years. Now that you mentioned clear coat peeling of i don't think i want to ever get it removed. :nervous:

I bought an '09 with Xpel already on it so I'm in the same boat....leery on removing it since it's been on the car for more than 6 years as well.

Edited by siamnet, 04 March 2017 - 01:28 AM.

Current vehicle:

2009 GTR still stock

Previous vehicles:

2002 911 Turbo 6 speed 

2006 Cayman S 6 speed

2006 BMW M5 - best sounding V10

2003 BMW M3 

2001 Audi S4 

1995 BMW M3

#7 Gdzilla_

Gdzilla_

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

As XPEL has mentioned, heat and proper angle is your best friend.
I removed the clear bra off my '09 Gdzilla in the fall of 2015 (7yrs it was on) and no issues. Did one other car, '06 Solstice (same time frame) and it removed flawlessly.

Having said that... with your Texas sun and summer heat, there may be some 'baking" going on. UV rays will kill anything over time.

Happy Motoring...

Edited by Gdzilla_, 06 March 2017 - 08:14 PM.

R35 Premium Edition Ivory Pearl / Ebony / brought home Sept 8th 2008

R34 Skyline / White / Ebony

#8 R35 Dan

R35 Dan

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

Here's the removal of my 3 year old Xpel Ultimate from my hood (started to yellow slightly). The amount removed from the pic much took me over 1.5 hrs using a heat gun. Think it took me about a good 2.5+ hrs it get it fully removed (pain in the @ss!). I can't imagine how long it would take to remove if the entire car was clear bra'd.

After the removal, Xpel Ultimate left no residue whatsoever and I just did a quick detail.

Attached Thumbnails

• Xpel1.JPG

Edited by R35 Dan, 09 March 2017 - 11:43 PM.

Lexus CT200h (2016) - Current
R35 DBA (2014) - Current

Wife #1 (2009-2014) - SOLD
R35 DBA (2013) - SOLD
Tundra Rock Warrior 4x4 (2013) - SOLD
TSX SE CU2 (2013) - SOLD
TSX CL9 (2006) - SOLD
Evo 10 GSR CZ4A (2008) - SOLD
Evo 9 MR #2 CT9A (2006) - SOLD
Evo 9 MR #1 CT9A (2006) - SOLD
300ZX 2+2 Z32 (1990) - SOLD
Integra Type R DC2 (1998) - SOLD
Integra Type R DC2 (1997) - SOLD
Integra DB1 (1992) - SOLD

#9 patgilm

patgilm

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Here's the removal of my 3 year old Xpel Ultimate from my hood (started to yellow slightly). The amount removed from the pic much took me over 1.5 hrs using a heat gun. Think it took me about a good 2.5+ hrs it get it fully removed (pain in the @ss!). I can't imagine how long it would take to remove if the entire car was clear bra'd.
After the removal, Xpel Ultimate left no residue whatsoever and I just did a quick detail.

I don't think the metal painted parts are as much of an issue as the front bumper. Most of the clear coat peeling from what I've seen on this site is from the plastic parts like the front bumper and front splitter. Are you going to tackle that next? If so, let us know if everything works out.

#10 frozenbutt

frozenbutt

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

My XPEL has yellowed as well so I guess this is in my future.

#11 Riceboy369

Riceboy369

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

For the people with XPEL Ultimate note that it comes with a 10yr warranty covering yellowing.
http://www.xpel.com/...-film-warranty/

Anyone had experience getting that honored though?
2014 Pearl White GTR - Black Edition
Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra // 3M Color stable tint 20% // V1 Radar Detector // Blackvue DR650GW 2-channel dash cam // Project Kics R40 Lugs // JDM Side Markers // SSP Exhaust Guard // Rexspeed CF hood damper // AMS Downpipes // ID1300cc Injectors // Amuse 90mm Exhaust // GotBoost Intake // GotBoost E85 Flex Fuel Kit // Cobb Catted 3.5" MP // FFtec Fuel Pump // Cobb AP3 w/ TCM // GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit // Tial Q BOV

SOLD - 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring

#12 celsius

celsius

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:21 AM

steamer from Macy's...works great 

+1, Steam is what the Pro's use to properly remove film!

#13 hunter

hunter

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:05 AM

For the expense going on and the hassle and expense to come off, I have not put it on the GTR.

It is not a garage queen and will not go up in value like a 911GT-2RS so.......... I just drive it .

Improper removal does peel clear coat and I learned the hard way, respray a fender and big crash in collectible value.

GTR GUY IN AZ

#14 Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

+1, Steam is what the Pro's use to properly remove film!

Hey....I know that guy!

#15 aznxtacy

aznxtacy

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

I put some track tape on the front bumper and when I try to remove it the same day at night, it peeled off my clear coat. Cost 6K to repaint the bumper (super silver) but luckily I went to Nissan and claimed it as warranty since the car is only 1 yrs old

#16 patgilm

patgilm

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

I put some track tape on the front bumper and when I try to remove it the same day at night, it peeled off my clear coat. Cost 6K to repaint the bumper (super silver) but luckily I went to Nissan and claimed it as warranty since the car is only 1 yrs old

Doesn't surprise me at all. When I bought my '15 last year I remembered how crappy the clearcoat was on my '13 (clearcoat peeled off for no reason) so I used the yellow low adhesive frog tape to drive home. Luckily no clearcoat peeled up when I removed the tape.

#17 aznxtacy

aznxtacy

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

anyone with the super silver that has removed the clear bra or wrap with out any issues? I've been hesitant to do it because of what happen with the bumper.

#18 TeKNiC3

TeKNiC3

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:38 AM

anyone with the super silver that has removed the clear bra or wrap with out any issues? I've been hesitant to do it because of what happen with the bumper.

The shop that I used to install the clear bra decided to wrap the bumper in a "Nanofusion" film when i had specified I wanted him to use Xpel Ultimate when he gave the two options. Left the car with him for almost 2 weeks as I went out of town. When I came back, he told me that he ran out of Xpel and used Nanofusion to cover the bumper while the rest of the job was done with Xpel. He assured me that I would not be able to tell and it is common for him to intermix these two films depending on application. Needless to say, the Nanofusion film gave the paint a deeper/darker look to the bumper. I know the bumpers are a little off, but the different film made it much more apparent, at least through my eyes and everyone else's that saw the car except the installer. After going back and forth with him, he agreed to remove the Nanofusion film and install the Xpel like I wanted and paid for. 

Needless to say, he calls me shortly after I drop off the car to get the job redone and tells me the news that some of the clear coat has lifted when he was removing the film. At this point, the film had only been on the car for 2 maybe 3 weeks. 

#19 aznxtacy

aznxtacy

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:29 PM

Nissan repainted my bumper because the clear coat came off. Now I'm thinking it should be better and should be able to put either wrap or clear bra on it with out issue.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users