Photo
- - - - -

Considering selling for a TT Vette...Talk me off the ledge!

37 replies to this topic

#1 rockchalk

rockchalk

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

Hi all, due to hitting the bang-for-your-buck wall with the GTR (FBO E85 aftermarket turbos) I am considering selling the GTR for something that is cheaper to build and still hooks up. There aren't a whole lot of options outside of a viper/z06. The viper costs more to build than a Chevy so that would be my second option. There are vipers running low 9's with nitrous but I don't necessarily want to mess with the stuff. This really leaves me with the C6Z. I can get a used one for around 30k then send the motor off to be built with turbos and tuned to make around 1300whp for 20k.....beats the pants of the 65k it takes to get a GTR there. Please tell me there is someone on here who has either been there and done that with the vette and can let me know whether or not this is a bad decision!

I don't necessarily endorse Vette owners so I would have to get over that, but i want to go fast and I just can't stomach the exorbitant price of a full blown GTR build. Thoughts?

#2 DavisGTR91

DavisGTR91

Life's Daily Reality Check

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

I've had 3 Vettes

Apart from a nicely appointed C7, they're all rattle-prone pieces of plastic with number than numb steering.

Have you driven a 700+ RWD WHP car on the street?

Have fun!

Edited by DavisGTR91, 20 April 2017 - 10:25 PM.

I have no cars

#3 Turborush

Turborush

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

How is it possible you think you can build a 1300whp C6Z or any corvette for that matter for 20k? The motor alone would cost more than that.

2012 Black Edition
VWR/Jack's Trans 5858 Build
1168awhp 886awtq

#4 c6vette

c6vette

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:42 AM

I would think that if a 1300hp Vette "hooks" you'll need more than a 20k engine build.
2015 Black & Amber

#5 spdmn75

spdmn75

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:16 AM

If you are doing your own work and know what vendors to use you can get close to it. Having owned 11 LS platforms, 5 of which were vettes(2 C6Zs) , the aftermarket is huge and the options are endless for motor builds
'15 Gunmetal GTR
(11 previous LS cars)

#6 BillY2KFRC

BillY2KFRC

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

I currently have a bolt-on '15 GT-R making 525whp and a highly modified C5Z with an LS7 making 560rwhp.  I have also been a member of the Corvette Forum since 2000 and have spent a lot of time at the track, at shops and generally just been involved with the Vette/LS tuning and drag racing scene.  To do it properly with the right components, you are talking much closer to 40K plus to do a 1300rwhp C6Z.  The LS7 block isn't good for anything over 800rwhp or so, which means you'll need a full ground-up build.  Even spending 50K on the build, the biggest difference between that and a comparable GT-R build is that the GT-R will be able to put that power down on street and will be far more reliable.  The biggest reliability concerns with the Vettes is the driveline.  Even if you spend 15K plus to do all the top of the line RPM components, if you race the car often, it will break... often.  Hell, my 560rwhp car broke two transmissions just driving on the street on 100 treadwear tires.  Call any top LS tuner and they will tell you that 1300rwhp Vette will easy blow past that 65K GT-R build in total cost due to breaking stuff after racing it for a couple of years!  I would also bet your FBO GT-R is faster 0-100mph on the street than a 1300rwhp C6Z.  Now, if you are going to convert to an automatic and make a single-purpose drag car, it'll stay together far longer and run 8s, but you have to drive on 15" drag radials daily if you want any traction under 120mph.

Trust me, I LOVE and live Vettes; I'm actually considering selling my modded to C5Z to get a C7Z (or maybe the upcoming ZR1, depending)... but for your planned goals, I just don't believe you will accomplish what you are after with a TT C6Z.  Also, again, coming from a life-long Vette owner, the C6 is a pretty big step-down in refinement from a GT-R.  Just be prepared for that if you haven't spent a considerable amount of time in one.  For me, the value, involvement and rawness is a fair trade; but for some, it would be a deterrent.

2003 Corvette Z06 - Dry Sump LS7 built by East Coast Supercharging 
560rwhp & 549rwtq 10.8@134

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium - Gunmetal with Amber Leather
Cobb AccessPort w/TCM, HKS Legamax Exhaust, Non-Resonated Mid-pipe, 3" Intakes, 750cc injectors, custom SD tune by Mike Botti @ ACI Dynamix
525whp & 506wtq
All-year, All-weather Daily Driver

#7 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

Fellow ex-boosted Vette owner and still current Vette owner...

Just don't do it trust me...I don't even know where to start.  

1.) Traction -  Good luck with that one.  Driving around on drag radials the car couldn't hook up to save it's life from speeds under 50 MPH.  Regular street tires I needed 80 MPH+ to grip.  Car "only" made 650 RWHP so now you're asking to double it.  Local friend of mine puts down 755 RWHP and he spun street tires at 100+ MPH and has to drive on slicks on the street.  It's a dry weather only car but either way you're compromising handling on the car and making it downright dangerous if caught in the rain.  To add insult to injury friend's 755 RWHP has stronger top end pull than my GT-R but from a dig on the street I gave him the hit and didn't even use launch control.  I just slowly rolled into the throttle after spotting him almost a car and I had him beat by 3+ cars to 100 MPH when I shut it down and he wasn't even starting to reel me back in yet.   You'll be lucky to match an FBO GT-R in acceleration below 100 MPH at the end of the day on the STREET.

2.) Reliability - As others stated it's a crap shoot.  Mine was constantly down for repairs because I drove the car hard.  My C6 was a rattling tin can box with random clunks and creeking of the targa roof.  I currently own a C7 and while it's better put together I tend to find the fit/finish is still of higher quality in the GT-R.  The C7 Vette has more "tech" in the interior than a GT-R but the GT-R is definitely a huge step up from a C6 (or older Viper) interior without a shadow of a doubt.  

3.) If you want a boosted LSx car look at something more like a Camaro, especially if you're wanting turbo.  The Corvette platform is not the best from a plumbing stand point.  If you go supercharged you really compromise the front radiator.  Enjoy higher coolant temps and the AC unit kicking off.  Going twin turbo?  Good luck getting all that plumbing easily fitting in the engine bay.  With the sloped hood it's much more complex and expensive compared to a bigger engine compartment like on the Camaro.  

4.) The only pros I will give to the Vette is that it's got a killer soundtrack.  I love the V8 sound.  It was great on top end pull but that'll just put you at Mexico or Jail speeds for a start.  At least the GT-R you can do a 20 to 70 pull all day, hook up, and have a blast.  

Getting back to traction if you want reliable power put down on the pavement you don't want a stupid high powered car unless it's powering all four wheels.  Here's my good 'ol trusty boosted V8 against an FBO E85 GT-R.  Race 1 she hooks and it's adios FBO.  Race 2 she spins and it can't recover.  Never an issue in the GT-R it's constant performance.  Those pulls were from a 70 MPH hit to 150ish on Run 1 and 130ish on Run 2.  

Vette > GTR

GTR returns the favor with some flames

2014 GT-R FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
60' 1.543 10.247 @ 135.1 MPH

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 - Manual - STOCK
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Supercharged - SOLD!!! - 650 RWHP (10.62 @ 136 MPH)

#8 AlexR

AlexR

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:39 AM

Built short block, ported built heads, built trans or killer auto swap, clutch or converter, twin turbo kit, fuel systems, suspension, axles, gears, killer boost control, boost by gear, driveshaft, wheels and tires skinny fronts 15" wheels with slick out back, all the other little bits and pieces, labor, tuning and you have a killer vette with monster power that a bitch to drive. 6 months build time and 60-80k. Been there done that. Go build your gtr.
2016 GTR Nismo
2010 Jeep SRT8 *soon to be turbo*
Past
2015 Yamaha R1 195whp
2013 Yamaha R1 165whp
2007 Yamaha R1 185whp
2008 Twin Turbo Viper 1500whp
2008 UG Gallardo 1000whp
2003 Twin Turbo Cobra Auto 1000whp

#9 CCLQ7R

CCLQ7R

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

I wouldn't do it. While I've never owned one, I've driven C6 Z06's and my buddy's C7 Z06. Just a different animal. Traction is an understatement and too many Vettes out there. Then you see a Vette that looks like a Z06 it ends up being a Grand Sport or it an aero package.... While I don't have any videos to prove, I beat my buddy in his stock 17' Z06 on the street. Actually, two days ago I also walked on a C6 ZR1 on the 10 freeway eastbound near Yucaipa. I was shocked how easy I pulled from him.... Not saying this cause I love our cars but I would stay with the GTR. You can have all the power in the emoted but what's the point if you can't use it....
SBD 3" intakes
2012 Inlets
EcuTek
1100cc ASNU Injectors
DW65c Fuel Pumps
Buschur Flex Fuel on E85
ETS Downpipes
HKS Legamax
HKS non-res mid
Advan GT's with 285/335 MPSS
Jack's Drag 800 Trans
Tuned by RD Engineering
10.69@131 at Fontana

#10 aiter

aiter

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:20 PM

I had a 04 cobra with almost 600 at the wheels. Even with 325s on the rears I would spin below 90 mph. I never felt confident in that car. It was really fun and sounded great, but after the Gtr I don't think I would go back to rwd unless it's a third or fourth car. I know the cobra and z are different, and I am sure the z hooks up better, but I love awd too much now.

#11 BillY2KFRC

BillY2KFRC

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

I had a 04 cobra with almost 600 at the wheels. Even with 325s on the rears I would spin below 90 mph. I never felt confident in that car. It was really fun and sounded great, but after the Gtr I don't think I would go back to rwd unless it's a third or fourth car. I know the cobra and z are different, and I am sure the z hooks up better, but I love awd too much now.

I think the GT-R spoils you with its traction.  The 22y/o version of me that daily drove a 10 second heads/cam C5 20k miles/year would look up to the guys driving RWD cars with 1000rwhp smoking the tires at 100mph as heroes; that was my dream.  Not sure if I'm older and wiser 15 years on, or just old and lame now, lol... but for something with HUGE power, give me AWD all the way. 

2003 Corvette Z06 - Dry Sump LS7 built by East Coast Supercharging 
560rwhp & 549rwtq 10.8@134

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium - Gunmetal with Amber Leather
Cobb AccessPort w/TCM, HKS Legamax Exhaust, Non-Resonated Mid-pipe, 3" Intakes, 750cc injectors, custom SD tune by Mike Botti @ ACI Dynamix
525whp & 506wtq
All-year, All-weather Daily Driver

#12 rockchalk

rockchalk

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

I currently have a bolt-on '15 GT-R making 525whp and a highly modified C5Z with an LS7 making 560rwhp.  I have also been a member of the Corvette Forum since 2000 and have spent a lot of time at the track, at shops and generally just been involved with the Vette/LS tuning and drag racing scene.  To do it properly with the right components, you are talking much closer to 40K plus to do a 1300rwhp C6Z.  The LS7 block isn't good for anything over 800rwhp or so, which means you'll need a full ground-up build.  Even spending 50K on the build, the biggest difference between that and a comparable GT-R build is that the GT-R will be able to put that power down on street and will be far more reliable.  The biggest reliability concerns with the Vettes is the driveline.  Even if you spend 15K plus to do all the top of the line RPM components, if you race the car often, it will break... often.  Hell, my 560rwhp car broke two transmissions just driving on the street on 100 treadwear tires.  Call any top LS tuner and they will tell you that 1300rwhp Vette will easy blow past that 65K GT-R build in total cost due to breaking stuff after racing it for a couple of years!  I would also bet your FBO GT-R is faster 0-100mph on the street than a 1300rwhp C6Z.  Now, if you are going to convert to an automatic and make a single-purpose drag car, it'll stay together far longer and run 8s, but you have to drive on 15" drag radials daily if you want any traction under 120mph.

Trust me, I LOVE and live Vettes; I'm actually considering selling my modded to C5Z to get a C7Z (or maybe the upcoming ZR1, depending)... but for your planned goals, I just don't believe you will accomplish what you are after with a TT C6Z.  Also, again, coming from a life-long Vette owner, the C6 is a pretty big step-down in refinement from a GT-R.  Just be prepared for that if you haven't spent a considerable amount of time in one.  For me, the value, involvement and rawness is a fair trade; but for some, it would be a deterrent.

Thanks Billy! This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate your opinion.

Fellow ex-boosted Vette owner and still current Vette owner...

Just don't do it trust me...I don't even know where to start.  

1.) Traction -  Good luck with that one.  Driving around on drag radials the car couldn't hook up to save it's life from speeds under 50 MPH.  Regular street tires I needed 80 MPH+ to grip.  Car "only" made 650 RWHP so now you're asking to double it.  Local friend of mine puts down 755 RWHP and he spun street tires at 100+ MPH and has to drive on slicks on the street.  It's a dry weather only car but either way you're compromising handling on the car and making it downright dangerous if caught in the rain.  To add insult to injury friend's 755 RWHP has stronger top end pull than my GT-R but from a dig on the street I gave him the hit and didn't even use launch control.  I just slowly rolled into the throttle after spotting him almost a car and I had him beat by 3+ cars to 100 MPH when I shut it down and he wasn't even starting to reel me back in yet.   You'll be lucky to match an FBO GT-R in acceleration below 100 MPH at the end of the day on the STREET.

2.) Reliability - As others stated it's a crap shoot.  Mine was constantly down for repairs because I drove the car hard.  My C6 was a rattling tin can box with random clunks and creeking of the targa roof.  I currently own a C7 and while it's better put together I tend to find the fit/finish is still of higher quality in the GT-R.  The C7 Vette has more "tech" in the interior than a GT-R but the GT-R is definitely a huge step up from a C6 (or older Viper) interior without a shadow of a doubt.  

3.) If you want a boosted LSx car look at something more like a Camaro, especially if you're wanting turbo.  The Corvette platform is not the best from a plumbing stand point.  If you go supercharged you really compromise the front radiator.  Enjoy higher coolant temps and the AC unit kicking off.  Going twin turbo?  Good luck getting all that plumbing easily fitting in the engine bay.  With the sloped hood it's much more complex and expensive compared to a bigger engine compartment like on the Camaro.  

4.) The only pros I will give to the Vette is that it's got a killer soundtrack.  I love the V8 sound.  It was great on top end pull but that'll just put you at Mexico or Jail speeds for a start.  At least the GT-R you can do a 20 to 70 pull all day, hook up, and have a blast.  

Getting back to traction if you want reliable power put down on the pavement you don't want a stupid high powered car unless it's powering all four wheels.  Here's my good 'ol trusty boosted V8 against an FBO E85 GT-R.  Race 1 she hooks and it's adios FBO.  Race 2 she spins and it can't recover.  Never an issue in the GT-R it's constant performance.  Those pulls were from a 70 MPH hit to 150ish on Run 1 and 130ish on Run 2.  

Vette > GTR

GTR returns the favor with some flames

Thanks Nosferatu! Great post and very informative. The only reason I am leaning towards a vette is because of the looks per dollar. I like (don't LOVE) the looks of them but the Z weighs 500 less pounds than the GTR and everyone on the corvette forums say they hook. Also, My good friend build a 1k + rwhp vette and he could hook at 40 hence why I know they can do it with the right setup! 

I feel you on the every day driving/reliability aspect.....I had a 1k_ gt500 and that some bitch broke every other day. In fact, I would always try to get together to race my aforementioned buddy but we would always have something wrong....some sensor to replace....some injectors to replace, etc. I just LOVE the feeling a high high HP car gives you but I will say this; you get used to what you have then you want more. It is a never ending cycle and I don't have never ending money. I can afford to do a few LSX motor builds as they are considerably cheaper than the GTR long blocks which is what is most attractive!

Built short block, ported built heads, built trans or killer auto swap, clutch or converter, twin turbo kit, fuel systems, suspension, axles, gears, killer boost control, boost by gear, driveshaft, wheels and tires skinny fronts 15" wheels with slick out back, all the other little bits and pieces, labor, tuning and you have a killer vette with monster power that a bitch to drive. 6 months build time and 60-80k. Been there done that. Go build your gtr.

Thanks Alex! I can get a long block for around 7k and a turbo kit with fuel system for around 10k. I forgot about the tranny and I know those other miscellaneous items add up QUICK. 

I wouldn't do it. While I've never owned one, I've driven C6 Z06's and my buddy's C7 Z06. Just a different animal. Traction is an understatement and too many Vettes out there. Then you see a Vette that looks like a Z06 it ends up being a Grand Sport or it an aero package.... While I don't have any videos to prove, I beat my buddy in his stock 17' Z06 on the street. Actually, two days ago I also walked on a C6 ZR1 on the 10 freeway eastbound near Yucaipa. I was shocked how easy I pulled from him.... Not saying this cause I love our cars but I would stay with the GTR. You can have all the power in the emoted but what's the point if you can't use it....

I believe you on the vette race....in fact my buddy had a full exhaust and tune C7Z and I slowly walked away from him when I was on stock turbos and e85. Now he makes 770rwhp with a procharger and I will pull a couple cars on him based on all our other races and races with friends. FWIW the reason I am in the GTR in the first place is because I used to own a 1k rwhp+ GT500 and it would just spin and I thought "this sucks, I keep losing to people who hook with less power", and so I sold it for a platform that I knew my dim mindedness would mod beyond a reasonable level :) Thanks for your opinion!

I think the GT-R spoils you with its traction.  The 22y/o version of me that daily drove a 10 second heads/cam C5 20k miles/year would look up to the guys driving RWD cars with 1000rwhp smoking the tires at 100mph as heroes; that was my dream.  Not sure if I'm older and wiser 15 years on, or just old and lame now, lol... but for something with HUGE power, give me AWD all the way. 

LOL I have no doubt I will shake my head at myself down the road. But once you've been in a 1300 hp car you just can't help but want more :) I had a GT500 that was over 1k to the tire and it had CONSIDERABLY worse traction than any vette!

#13 DavisGTR91

DavisGTR91

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:15 AM

Who races a 650WHP GTR from 60 lol?
I have no cars

#14 rolemodel

rolemodel

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Also, My good friend build a 1k + rwhp vette and he could hook at 40 hence why I know they can do it with the right setup! 

REally?  1,000whp in a corvette at 40mph would be pulling 1.3+ g's.  How is he hooking that on the street?  Usually mickey thompson drag radial cars only hook .85G's max on the street in my experience. 

#15 droptopp

droptopp

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:27 AM

Been there done that - build the gtr and be happy and alive. Only thing I use the C6 for is rolling burnouts ;) other than that worthless without VHT on the street

AMS Alpha 9 built and tuned by STM
AMS Crate motor, Alpha Cams, AMS DP, STM MP, HKS Legamax
STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Speed Density
Sheptrans OneK, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888
STM Heartbreaker Mustang Dyno 850/710
Dynojet 950/802 +/-
60-130 4.3 seconds
150+ mph traps full weight

http://i57.tinypic.com/2uetqn9.jpg

#16 droptopp

droptopp

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 08:29 AM

Who races a 650WHP GTR from 60 lol?

I will ;) but I will from any speed lol

AMS Alpha 9 built and tuned by STM
AMS Crate motor, Alpha Cams, AMS DP, STM MP, HKS Legamax
STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Speed Density
Sheptrans OneK, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888
STM Heartbreaker Mustang Dyno 850/710
Dynojet 950/802 +/-
60-130 4.3 seconds
150+ mph traps full weight

http://i57.tinypic.com/2uetqn9.jpg

#17 r35chris

r35chris

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:04 AM

I have had several of each, both are amazing cars. But when it comes to looks the Vettes always win IMO. In bone stock trim the A8 Z06 is a quicker / faster car. After you cross that 800 whp mark the GTR's just flat out hook more consistently. 

20170420_195305_zpsxcbw1tll.jpg

FBO - Boost Logic 750x - Boost Logic 1100x

#18 DavisGTR91

DavisGTR91

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:40 AM

No one is hooking a 1000WHP Vette on street anything from a 40 roll. LOL.

If I cant get a 1100WHP GTR to hook on 315 R888 from 40 without a lot of heat in them a Z06 isn't hooking...

I want to know the definition of hooking too - is it hazing the tires through 2 gears and then 130 hits and it grabs?

I have no cars

#19 Z3GTR

Z3GTR

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:46 AM

Lol no vette ever to date is a better platform than a GTR, good luck hooking up too btw

#20 aiter

aiter

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

No one is hooking a 1000WHP Vette on street anything from a 40 roll. LOL.

If I cant get a 1100WHP GTR to hook on 315 R888 from 40 without a lot of heat in them a Z06 isn't hooking...

I want to know the definition of hooking too - is it hazing the tires through 2 gears and then 130 hits and it grabs?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users