25 replies to this topic

#1 Torkey

Torkey

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

Just out of curiosity is it worth it to pick up an ecutek and tune on a basically stock (besides intakes and catted midpipe) car?  I have access to 93 oct. in my area and have not decided what direction I want to go with the car just yet. Idk if I want to go FBO with E85 or stay 93 and run more efficient turbos like some of the SIR setups. I definitely want to keep stock block but just as a way to start modding a little bit, is it even worth it to do just the EcuTek and Basic tune for a while?

#2 mtulls

mtulls

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:23 PM

Just out of curiosity is it worth it to pick up an ecutek and tune on a basically stock (besides intakes and catted midpipe) car?  I have access to 93 oct. in my area and have not decided what direction I want to go with the car just yet. Idk if I want to go FBO with E85 or stay 93 and run more efficient turbos like some of the SIR setups. I definitely want to keep stock block but just as a way to start modding a little bit, is it even worth it to do just the EcuTek and Basic tune for a while?

I don't know if this helps since its not GT-R specific but a while back on my Subaru I upgraded to the Cobb OTS Stage 1 tune and it made all the difference in the world. I noticed a bigger difference going from stock to OTS stage 1 then I did going from OTS stage 1 to full exhaust and dyno tune.

#3 bse

bse

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

Absolutely it's worth it. You can always have the tune changed with more mods.

#4 saxon

saxon

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

Yes, absolutely worth it. Big gains with the mods you have and can always change tune when you add more parts

#5 Tim@SpeedByDesign

Tim@SpeedByDesign

R35 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:00 PM

You could go with Cobb, and just use the stage 1 OTS map for now until you decide what you want to do in regards to the mod process.

My first GTR, a 2010, I added an Accessport along with the OTS stage 1 map and what a difference it made, it was the biggest difference made out of any single mod, and that was before any actual custom tuning...

SBD *NEW* 90mm Cast Downpipes: on sale for only $799!

*NEW* SBD675 Power Package - Turn Key Bolt On Power Package for new GTR Owners! $2995

SBD700 (600+ whp) 9 Second 1/4 Mile Power Package on sale for only $4,599

10.025 @ 135.12mph on 93 Octane (Elganja- Stock Turbo 93 Oct World Record Holder)
9.870 @ 137.02mph on e85 (Shawn B- Canada Stock Turbo Record Holder)
9.575 @ 141.43mph on e85 (Elganja- E85 Stock Turbo World Record Holder)

We now carry most major brands of GTR parts! PM me today with anything you're looking for!
Call/Text 508-567-8748
Email: Sales@Spdbydesign.com
Find me on Facebook here --> https://www.facebook...tim.ferreira.92

#6 tjlazer

tjlazer

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:23 PM

The new V7.01 OTS map for Stage 2 (midpipe and 3" intakes) makes 560awhp!  I'd say it's worth it!  For a bone stock Stage 1 it's around 500-530awhp.

Posted Image
2010 Nissan GT-R Pearl White Premium
2009 Nissan 370Z Nismo Monterey Blue

#7 JZeezGTR

JZeezGTR

The LEGEND

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 04:58 PM

I have a few questions regarding this...

Its my understanding that the factory injectors, on the factory tune, are already pretty much at 100% Duty Cycle..  or close to it.  If thats the case,  Then how can more hp be squeezed out, considering injectors are already maxed out?  Also, even if through the art "work around" tuning, more hp and tq can be made, would this be potentially dangerous and cause a lean condition and pre-ignition or detonation during WOT, and the right atmospheric conditions?  

Another HUGE concern I have is, Can the dealer detect that a Piggyback module has been used, even if you remove the map / unmarry the Cobb, before taking it in for service?  I ask because I've been considering  to get a cobb and use the OTS Stage 1 map, since I dont plan to mod the car for power in the interest of retaining my factory warranty, and since this car is pretty much already more powerful then I'm used to, and sufficient for my needs for the meantime.

disclaimer: I'm no expert and I dont claim to be one, Just trying to better understand if this is safe.  

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - Molten Silver (Sold)
2006 Subaru Impreza STi - Crystal Gray Metallic (Sold)
2016 Nissan GTR - Gun Metallic (Toy)
2015 Subaru Forester (Daily)
2017 Suberu Forester (Wifey's Daily)

#8 Torkey

Torkey

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:12 AM

Do most tuners charge per update? Seems like that could be kind of hectic for them sending in new logs and adjusting tunes every time something gets upgraded?

#9 JZeezGTR

JZeezGTR

The LEGEND

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

Do most tuners charge per update? Seems like that could be kind of hectic for them sending in new logs and adjusting tunes every time something gets upgraded?

Yes in my experience they do. However, thats just part of the Tuning Job description. Thats why they charge what they charge. Its not an easy job, and it comes with a lot of responsibility. 

2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V - Molten Silver (Sold)
2006 Subaru Impreza STi - Crystal Gray Metallic (Sold)
2016 Nissan GTR - Gun Metallic (Toy)
2015 Subaru Forester (Daily)
2017 Suberu Forester (Wifey's Daily)

#10 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 07:36 AM

I think it depends on a lot of factors..  First, how big was the change?  Are you just asking them to confirm a small change you made is safe?  How much other business have you done with them?  Did you buy a hard part from them and they are touching up the tune for that (Lets say intake manifold, throttle bodies, etc)?

Swapping turbos, going built, flex fuel, speed density, etc are all more involved than swapping out a cat-back or changing intake manifold.  Those are the obvious retune will be charged.

2015 GT-R Deep Blue Pearl Premium
Linney Tuning, SD Kit, Titan DP/Street Exhaust, AWD Controller, Throttle Bodies, Fuel Rails | Ecutek BT | ID2000 injectors | SBD Intakes

Shep 1K | T1 Trans Brace | Visconti Flex Fuel, Fuel Basket with dual 485, Hardwire Kit | Buschur Race Intercooler, Pro Catch Can

AMS built short block | TSM Elite Plus coming soon..

2016 Mustang GT
Procharger Stage 2 | nGauge | Lund Tuning | Long Tube Headers

#11 Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

We charge 

We charge $1/whp... so if we do your tune and the car makes 500whp, then we charge $500.  If you go flex fuel later on and pick up 50whp, we'd charge $50 to revise... We don't however charge for any revisions to get it perfect or for features, etc.  

Weapons Grade Performance
-Northeast/Pacific Northwest Shops where we ONLY work on GT-Rs
-Owner/Builder of the 1st Ever Home Garage GT-R Drivetrain Removal
- Cobb Protuner / EcuTek Master Tuner
-All Wheel Drive Mustang Dyno in House
doug@weaponsgradeperformance.com
Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

#12 Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

I have a few questions regarding this...

Its my understanding that the factory injectors, on the factory tune, are already pretty much at 100% Duty Cycle..  or close to it.  If thats the case,  Then how can more hp be squeezed out, considering injectors are already maxed out?  Also, even if through the art "work around" tuning, more hp and tq can be made, would this be potentially dangerous and cause a lean condition and pre-ignition or detonation during WOT, and the right atmospheric conditions?  

Another HUGE concern I have is, Can the dealer detect that a Piggyback module has been used, even if you remove the map / unmarry the Cobb, before taking it in for service?  I ask because I've been considering  to get a cobb and use the OTS Stage 1 map, since I dont plan to mod the car for power in the interest of retaining my factory warranty, and since this car is pretty much already more powerful then I'm used to, and sufficient for my needs for the meantime.

disclaimer: I'm no expert and I dont claim to be one, Just trying to better understand if this is safe.  

The dealership can detect the reflashes.  If you install a Cobb, you risk having your warranty voided.  It's a pay to play scenario.  That said... it's unlikely that you'll actually need any warranty repairs to your engine during the warranty period, as the cars are very reliable.  

Our Online Store
East Coast Location 226 N. Plains Industrial Rd, Wallingford CT 06492 203-668-4765

#13 tjlazer

tjlazer

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

It's usually Nissan North America that requests the flicker data on the ECU after the engine or transmission fails and a warranty claim is put in.  They can detect if the ECU has been flashed in the past and if boost as been increased past stock levels.  They can also see if engine and transmission temps were too high.  This is when they will deny the claim.  For any other warranty claim, the dealer doesn't care if its been modded or flashed and will honor the claim, and Nissan NA will not request flicker data. 

I had Bellhousing and Dash gauge LED issue replaced under warranty while flashed with Cobb and aftermarket parts installed.  But I guess it's possible some non mod friendly dealers could of denied on the spot.

Edited by tjlazer, 19 May 2017 - 10:00 AM.

Posted Image

#14 Z3GTR

Z3GTR

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:30 AM

Very worth it. The tune transformes and makes the biggest difference out of any mod

Edited by Z3GTR, 28 April 2017 - 10:30 AM.

#15 MMC Racing

MMC Racing

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

We charge 

We charge $1/whp... so if we do your tune and the car makes 500whp, then we charge $500.  If you go flex fuel later on and pick up 50whp, we'd charge $50 to revise... We don't however charge for any revisions to get it perfect or for features, etc.  

I need to use you then as I never put my car on a dyno to measure with...  :P

2015 GT-R Deep Blue Pearl Premium
Linney Tuning, SD Kit, Titan DP/Street Exhaust, AWD Controller, Throttle Bodies, Fuel Rails | Ecutek BT | ID2000 injectors | SBD Intakes

Shep 1K | T1 Trans Brace | Visconti Flex Fuel, Fuel Basket with dual 485, Hardwire Kit | Buschur Race Intercooler, Pro Catch Can

AMS built short block | TSM Elite Plus coming soon..

2016 Mustang GT
Procharger Stage 2 | nGauge | Lund Tuning | Long Tube Headers

#16 hunter

hunter

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:45 AM

Doug, I have a friend who has a 2016 and was considering cobb and a stage 1 tune. Please confirm HP gains possible with your customized OTS tunes.

The 2016 Nissan claims has 565 HP but at the wheels ??? stock.......

You may PM me if this works better for you.

GTR GUY IN AZ

#17 iamnotthestig

iamnotthestig

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Wow, so on my stock + midpipe DBA this can be the best $60 I ever spent!

We charge 

#18 tjlazer

tjlazer

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

^ um it would not be $60 for a DBA with a midpipe.  It would be about $500-$530.

Posted Image

#19 Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

It's $1/total whp the first time not whp gained. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Online Store

#20 Doug@WGP

Doug@WGP

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Stock DBA GTR typically dyno around 450whp. We've made as much as 580whp on midpipe cars. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Online Store

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users