36 replies to this topic

#1 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:32 AM

Mods, if it's on the wrong section please let me know. Reason I started it here on the lounge is because I want to have unbiased opinions from people that own/ed both. Long time lurker and just reading, haven't really jumped into any of the discussions since I don't own a GTR yet.

This may have been discussed before, and I have read those threads but didn't actually give me the answer that I'm looking for.

So here goes. As anyone else in this forum, I love the GTR. Been saving up for it. But now that I'm at a time where I want to get one, I'm having second thoughts.

Here's the thing, I own an Evo X that's pretty much modded to how I want it. Has 500 hp to the wheels and traps 118mph on the 1/4 mile (only do 1/4 passes for testing to make sure the mod I installed adds performance). It's a hell of a ride and I love it. It gives me the connection I need to the ride. I feel engaged when I drive.

The GTR has been on my mind since it came out and I've been wanting to get one. At the time, I didn't have the means to own one. I could, but it would be so much of a stretch that one mishap, or unplanned event comes up, I'd be in the red. Now, I have the means to own one and still live comfortably, but the cold feet comes from this one fact: my evo.

See, I love both cars, and since owning the evo, I might find myself in the GTR being lacking in some ways. Like the engagement and connection I'd have in the evo. I've read so much in here that on a GTR, people have felt that the car pretty much drives itself. I don't want to feel like a drone while I'm driving it. Plans for the GTR will be minimal because I'll be keeping the evo as a track car. If I do mod the GTR, it will be minimal mods: exhaust, suspension, filter, and tune...maybe e85. But that's it. No major mods like what I've done to the evo.

I'm planning on buying new instead of used. But if a used price is too good to pass up, then I'll buy used. Only dba, though, not cba due to inherent problems that came with cba...im sure the cba has been updated and the problems fixed over the years, but I just can't justify buying a 8 year old car and still be in the 60k range. I know it's somewhat of an exclusivity with the GTR badge, but when the cba came out, it was 70k price tag. If I'm buying used, I'll make sure the depreciation works for me.

I want to get some feedbacks on some people that have owned both.

I'm planning on renting a GTR for a day, maybe a weekend to see and feel of the GTR and if it will suffice my appetite when I daily it.

#2 tg07

tg07

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:12 AM

Sorry for not answering your question, but I have to respond to the one line where you say, "I've read so much in here that on a GTR, people have felt that the car pretty much drives itself."  I can't say that in the hundreds of hours I've logged reading this forum that I've read that more than a handful of times.  And those that type it, most likely don't/didn't own the car.  I've seen it plenty on other forums and in youtube vide comments, but extremely rarely on this forum.

Until YOU drive the GTR, I don't think anyone here is really going to be able to help you.  We don't know what makes you tick.  For example, I wasn't keen on the fact that I couldn't get the GTR in a manual transmission.  I've always loved driving manual.  I took the plunge anyway and haven't looked back.  1st and 2nd gear go by so fast that I don't think I could safely/comfortably drive a GTR with a manual transmission in 1st and 2nd gear.

Good luck and let us know how your rental goes.

16 GTR - Alpha 7 - Alpha DP's, Greddy Supreme 94mm titanium MP/CB, Alpha CF intakes, Alpha street intercooler, ID 1000CC injectors, Alpha air/oil separator, Advan GT's w/MPSS, Rexpeed splitter & skirts, and Alpha coolant reservoir

#3 GTR_Kevv

GTR_Kevv

Boricua

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

x2^^^

#4 Boostd4

Boostd4

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

Coming from 3 Evos myself (8,9, and 10), I can safely say that the GTR is on a completely different planet than the Evo.  Not to discount the capability of the Evo by any means...but the GTR is on a much higher level.  The statements and concerns you made in your post echo those of people who have never driven the GTR...and in most cases never even seen one in the flesh.  This whole idea that the car is some sort of autonomous ride is just silly.  Drive the car then ask your questions again.

Also, with regards to the CBA vs. DBA question...if you plan to mod at all and are not concerned with the exterior refresh you'd be doing yourself a favor by finding a clean CBA.  Once the transmission TSBs are addressed and the car is FBO, there really are very minimal differences.

Edited by Boostd4, 16 May 2017 - 10:43 AM.

2009 PW GTR Premium
Jack's Transmissions RR600, Cobb AP V3, CBRD 76mm Midpipe, SBD Catless DPs,
Visconti Billet Fuel Basket, Walbro 485 Pumps, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, GB 3" Intakes, GB Flex Fuel, Visconti Fuel Pressure Kit
Tim Bailey Flex Fuel e-Tune

#5 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:41 AM

Thank you! Yeah, I thought as much. That's why I'm going to be renting a GTR for a day or two just to see how it feels.

As far as 1st and 2nd gear going fast, it's the same way with my evo.

I guess the question I'm really asking, will it be just the same as my evo? But you're right, I would be the only one that can answer that. I just want to know from other evo owners that made the switch or added to the stable if they ever felt this way: it's just like the evo, but more expensive.

I mean, I know they are 2 different beasts, but how similar are they from each other? When I do jump into a GTR, I want it to have an obvious difference from each other. Other than looks, the power between my evo and a stock GTR is minimal, even comparable. And that's the thing, the GTR will only have minimal mods. I wouldn't want to get an expensive car that pretty much has the same feel as my evo.

Edited by Evodriver84, 16 May 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#6 shawnhayes

shawnhayes

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Owned 3 Evo's. VIII, VIII MR, and IX MR.

GT-R lives on a different planet.

EVO is a $20,000 platform with $20,000 worth of upgrades. GT-R was built from the ground up to be a world beater. My 2009 GT-R would still lap the Top Gear track faster than a brand new M3, and BMW has had eight years to catch up.

But, as far as being a "super engaging" drive at 35-45 on the way to work. Nope. That's not what the car is for. Its for obliterating competition at the track.

Shawn

#7 yaaj1320

yaaj1320

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

I didn't want to settle for a stock/fbo/new GTR. I went straight to the big boys and got a cba 1200hp+ GTR.

#8 TeKiZeRo

TeKiZeRo

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

I originally came from an Evo 9, and went into the Evo X for a daily and GT-R for weekends.  My IX and X both were on E85 with bigger snails and were both around ~500HP.  The GT-R is just on another level that you cannot really compare to the Evos.  I am a huge huge huge fan of AWD + Turbo, but the GT-R takes everything to the next level.  It just simply has better interior, comfort, handling, and potential power.  With the crazy lag and no low-end torque from the Evos, you'll barely feel that in the GT-R.  

You really need to test drive the GT-R for a long period if time to see if its for you.  Everyone has their own tolerance for how their own car should be, so you can't just read about it online and assume you'll feel the same way.  I think just having a midpipe is loud and my buddy with straight pipes think that's perfect for him.  The same friend thinks his ride is too harsh and I think my ride is perfect (and we have the same year).  So it's all relative.  Go and drive one to see if its for you, because in the end its your decision.

2015 Pearl White GT-R - Black Edition
2013 Pearl White GT-R - Sold
2012 Pearl White GT-R - Sold
2009 Ivory White GT-R - Sold

#9 iamnotthestig

iamnotthestig

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:56 PM

Your Evo makes 500 at the wheels and traps 118mph? You've got CBA GTRs that weigh more, make less power, trapping 120+. Maybe that should tell you something.

#10 MadeInSweden

MadeInSweden

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:26 AM

I went from a 2009 EVO X MR to a 2012 DBA. Night and day difference. The GT-R is so much better in every aspect. I do love EVO's aswell :)

17' GT-R BE - finally here :)
12' GT-R BE - sold
15' Toyota GT86 - sold
04' Audi Allroad - daily
62' Volvo Amazon 121 - 4D
64' Volvo Amazon 122S - 4D
13' BMW F31 330D M - SOLD
94' Supra MKIV - SOLD
08' Mitsu EVO X - SOLD
00' Mitsu EVO VI TME - SOLD

http://fbcdn-sphotos...992123356_n.jpg

#11 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I will be renting a GTR soon. Just have to finish all my board tests and that would be an incentive/gift for me. Haha!

Your Evo makes 500 at the wheels and traps 118mph? You've got CBA GTRs that weigh more, make less power, trapping 120+. Maybe that should tell you something.

Yeah, I need a driver mod. Haha! Car is capable of 10 secs... I just haven't driven it to that eta. Like I've said on my original post, I use the 1/4 mile for testing purposes to see if what I installed added performance. Not really to put down good time.

#12 shawnhayes

shawnhayes

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

OP is right. This is driver vs. car. The GT-R with the programmed launch makes up A LOT.

Shawn

#13 iamnotthestig

iamnotthestig

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

OP is right. This is driver vs. car. The GT-R with the programmed launch makes up A LOT.

Shawn

I can see a variance in launch affecting ETs but usually trap speed is a good indication of power

#14 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:54 PM

I launch at 7lbs of boost, with 60 foot of 1.7...that is when I'm trying.

But I'm not about the 1/4, I want to know about ride quality.

I guess I'm looking for is from your own words as people who have own/ed both. I want to know your impressions on each.

#15 iamnotthestig

iamnotthestig

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

I've owned both. you will miss the feel of driving a stick. My Evo felt more nimble and agile.. gtr has limits I'm not comfortable with exploring on the street. I have yet to take my gtr to a road course.

The bigger displacement is great for top end, I found my Evo ran out of steam over 80mph. Gtr just pulls like a freight train.

One problem I had with all my evos and my 2g gsx before that is long after you stop needed the traction, the little 2 liter still has to spin all that extra AWD drivetrain.

On the R35, power is sent to the rear and unless you need the grip it doesn't send any back to the front.

#16 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:20 PM

I still have Evo 9 and GTR and love both for different reasons. To me Evo is a lot more fun doing autox stuff because is lighter and smaller. GTR is more fun on road circuits but boring on the streets because you are never reaching the speed that the car comes alive at.

Evo is also the last of the bunch before all these electronics become the norm in new cars, so the experience is very organic. GTR is a bit disconnected in comparison but I would not go as far as to say the car drives itself. You really need to drive the GTR at really high speed and only then the car becomes very lively.
Always looking for sponsorship to help out on events entry (autox/hpde) and such. Please PM me if interested. Super Street 09 GTR #924 A Street Prepared 06 Evo #924 Follow me on Instagram: @vwhite_turbo Subscribe to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube....LHxYspyZZxJZdYA

#17 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the feedbacks.

So basically the gtr doesn't show the oomph until at speeds around (60-80?) But cruising speed, it's like any other car? How about passing power? I don't really speed on the streets unless I have to pass.

As for the power distribution, yeah, the evo has to turn all wheels instead of just the rear. Didn't know that GTR dis this kind of torque vector. Possible with center diff and not a transfer case like the evo.

As for losing steam, I feel pull all the way up to 130 with my evo since I'm not on stock turbo.

These last few feedbacks helps out my thought process. Thank you!

#18 iamnotthestig

iamnotthestig

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

No.. the GTR pulls hard from zero well into triple digits. The downshifts are crazy quick that you're almost immediately into boost when you downshift and floor it.

I thought I'd miss driving stick (I do, sort of) but the DCT is wicked fast. Imagine nailing every single 1-2 shift under WOT in just a few milliseconds. Makes 1-2-3 feel like one really long seamless gear.

Edited by iamnotthestig, 18 May 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#19 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the feedbacks.

So basically the gtr doesn't show the oomph until at speeds around (60-80?) But cruising speed, it's like any other car? How about passing power? I don't really speed on the streets unless I have to pass.

Yup no oomph...basic bolt-ons with E85...

2014 GT-R FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
60' 1.543 10.247 @ 135.1 MPH

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 - Manual - STOCK
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Supercharged - SOLD!!! - 650 RWHP (10.62 @ 136 MPH)

#20 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:26 PM

Damn! That's a nice vid! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Very tame unless you release the horses from the stable!

I'm keeping my evo when I get the GTR for racing. GTR will be my daily along with my jeep gc (family car, haha)

Thank you!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users