36 replies to this topic

#21 tg07

tg07

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

FBO definitely wakes the car up. Stock is kind of like "wow, this is fast, but very mild mannered." FBO is relatively mild mannered cruising, but you wake the beast up when you hit the throttle.

When I picked up my car after going FBO, my first thought was, "Hmmm, what did I just get myself into here?" Getting used to it now though.

16 GTR - Alpha 7 - Alpha DP's, Greddy Supreme 94mm titanium MP/CB, Alpha CF intakes, Alpha street intercooler, ID 1000CC injectors, Alpha air/oil separator, Advan GT's w/MPSS, Rexpeed splitter & skirts, and Alpha coolant reservoir

#22 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, my evo is FBO, and then some. Haha!

The GTR will be mildly modded. Just basics. Suspension, tune on flex, exhaust, pipes and IC. Other than that, will remain stock.

#23 surebOOst

surebOOst

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Do itttt. You will enjoy it. I drove my 9 SE back to back with my GTR and asked myself why I waited so long to buy a GTR. Sold my SE about 6 months later (though I still have a 9RS was built 740whp now on stands for a bigger build). Evo is a more "engaging" car at everyday speeds but the GTR just feels so planted and solid. It does feel alot heavier than a Evo.

As for fbo e85 GTR, if you X stays at 500hp your GTR gonna be faster than your racecar.

#24 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

Sweet! That's a good description!

The GTR won't be FBO, though. If it's going to be FBO, I won't keep the evo. I'm p planning to mod the evo to 800hp, and gtr will be at 600hp.

#25 terroragon

terroragon

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

See, I love both cars, and since owning the evo, I might find myself in the GTR being lacking in some ways. Like the engagement and connection I'd have in the evo. I've read so much in here that on a GTR, people have felt that the car pretty much drives itself. I

You definitely didn't read that on here. No one who has ever driven a GT-R would say that. It might be better at clawing its way out of a corner than a Viper, but to say it can't easily spin out is so far from the truth. Smash down the throttle in a low gear while going around a corner and you'll wind up on the side of the road with the rest of the RWD guys. 

Even Randy Pobst couldn't tame the GT-R! (crash around 3:50)

Edited by terroragon, 21 May 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#26 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:14 PM

Ooooh, that's gotta hurt! I did read some here, but like another member pointed out, it's probably by someone who has never driven a GTR.

#27 Z3GTR

Z3GTR

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

ughh those videos hurt to watch

#28 droptopp

droptopp

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

You guys are being far too kind. My x5 traps 118 mph. A tune only R35 will run 10's all day long on the street with all seasons @ 126+. It will lap it on a road circuit and is much more of a comfortable car touring and you flat run out of gear in an EVO. There is absolutely no comparison of an EVO platform to the R35 platform. Don't get me wrong, I love me a built EVO and once you go motor, turbo and trans in either it's a whole different situation. Now to some sound advice that won't get bashed, Buy used, don't waste your money and eat the depreciation on an new R35. You can have both. ;) Enjoy and good luck.

AMS Alpha 9 built and tuned by STM
AMS Crate motor, Alpha Cams, AMS DP, STM MP, HKS Legamax
STM Race FMIC 22x18x4.5, full 3" piping, ID 2000, Speed Density
Sheptrans OneK, E85, Advan GT 10/12 285/315 R888
STM Heartbreaker Mustang Dyno 850/710
Dynojet 950/802 +/-
60-130 4.3 seconds
150+ mph traps full weight

http://i57.tinypic.com/2uetqn9.jpg

#29 dLad

dLad

R.I.P. Paul Walker

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,883 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

Well said droptopp

White (Now Blue Chrome Wrapped) 2013 GTR
10.890 @ 122.11mph (stock)

#30 terroragon

terroragon

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

Now to some sound advice that won't get bashed, Buy used, don't waste your money and eat the depreciation on an new R35. You can have both. ;) Enjoy and good luck.

I would normally agree, except the '17 is drastically different from the prior models and there are only 7 used ones for sale on autotrader. After owning a GT-R for a couple of years, I'd now rather buy an older model and spend the $30k+ difference on some serious performance parts. However, if I was buying my first GT-R again, it would be a tough decision. 

#31 Nosferatu

Nosferatu

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 AM

I would normally agree, except the '17 is drastically different from the prior models and there are only 7 used ones for sale on autotrader. After owning a GT-R for a couple of years, I'd now rather buy an older model and spend the $30k+ difference on some serious performance parts. However, if I was buying my first GT-R again, it would be a tough decision. 

Depends on role of the car as well.  I daily drive mine so I like some creature comforts.  I also didn't want a neutered GT-R (a.k.a. '15+) car so I found my '14 nicely modified and drive the crap out of it every day.  On average it sees over 1,000 miles a month.  For that a CBA wasn't cutting the bill in my situation but certainly didn't see the appeal for a '17 (nor were they available at the time).  If I can do it over again I still wouldn't do a '17.  Wheel shifters, soft, quiet, price, etc. etc. etc.

2014 GT-R FBO + Litchfield Suspension + Greddy Tranmission Cooler + AMS Race Intercooler + ETS 4" Titanium Exhaust + AP Racing Jhook rotors + Flex fuel kit + FORE Innovative + ECUTek Phase 5 + HRE 3 piece forged wheels with Titanium hardware
60' 1.543 10.247 @ 135.1 MPH

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 - Manual - STOCK
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Supercharged - SOLD!!! - 650 RWHP (10.62 @ 136 MPH)

#32 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Even Randy Pobst couldn't tame the GT-R! (crash around 3:50)

https://www.youtube....h?v=Q6s1nmJDe4Y

What?? Don't misrepresent, he admitted that it was a mistake on his part that he messed up the order of the turn in his head.
Always looking for sponsorship to help out on events entry (autox/hpde) and such. Please PM me if interested. Super Street 09 GTR #924 A Street Prepared 06 Evo #924 Follow me on Instagram: @vwhite_turbo Subscribe to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube....LHxYspyZZxJZdYA

#33 Evodriver84

Evodriver84

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 AM

The role of the GTR will be daily driver. I wouldn't want the kind of headaches I've had with the evo when it was being modded.

As for buying new vs used, I've thought about it. And I just don't want the headache and hassle that could pop up with used cars. We all know 90% of used GTRs or any performance cars for that matter, has been driven hard...maybe even ragged. The depreciation hit will be hard, but it's a price to pay for peace of mind...unless a used GTR pops up that has all the mods I would be putting on already installed (even better if it has a shep trans, haha).

Other than depreciation, what other cons are there? Plus, I just like the aggressive look on the '17. Don't get me wrong, though, i still love the look of the cba and dba. While talking about the money difference between new and used, the GTR will be lightly modded. Probably not even FBO, but for sure not to the extent I've modded the evo. So the 30k difference won't be spent on upgrades, it will just stay in the bank. Haha! So yes, this will be the first GTR, and yes, it is a tough decision.

#34 tg07

tg07

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:10 AM

Have you looked any further into renting one?

16 GTR - Alpha 7 - Alpha DP's, Greddy Supreme 94mm titanium MP/CB, Alpha CF intakes, Alpha street intercooler, ID 1000CC injectors, Alpha air/oil separator, Advan GT's w/MPSS, Rexpeed splitter & skirts, and Alpha coolant reservoir

#35 terroragon

terroragon

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:54 PM

What?? Don't misrepresent, he admitted that it was a mistake on his part that he messed up the order of the turn in his head.

That changes absolutely nothing that I've said. He still crashed a GT-R, the "car that drives itself"....

#36 droptopp

droptopp

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted Today, 07:40 AM

We all know 90% of used GTRs or any performance cars for that matter, has been driven hard...maybe even ragged. The depreciation hit will be hard, but it's a price to pay for peace of mind...unless a used GTR pops up that has all the mods I would be putting on already installed (even better if it has a shep trans, haha).

Quite sure it's the exact opposite. 90% aren't driven hard. I know plenty of CBA and DBA owners that have never even launched. Exotics, lol I know guys that have never launched or WOT their F cars, Lambo, McLaren, etc.

That's why you do an inspection and get a car that's under factory warranty.

For what it's worth, never knew a single person locally that had an issue with a stock used car or even modded for that matter.

Dynojet 950/802 +/-
60-130 4.3 seconds

#37 droptopp

droptopp

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted Today, 07:43 AM

Also, not sure you know, but the R35 platform is much more user friendly while modding. You can have a 1,000 awhp car and let your wife drive it to the mall. Cars that run high 8's are as docile around town as Volkswagen bugs. I'd recommend finding someone local with a modded car and hitch a ride. If your upstate NY, hit me up.

Edited by droptopp, Today, 07:44 AM.

Dynojet 950/802 +/-
60-130 4.3 seconds

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic