Jump to content

- - - - -

do not launch your gtr or take the vdc off


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
1017 replies to this topic

#1 septskyline Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

septskyline
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Location:fl
I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear.  I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl.  They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise,  4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left.  Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car.  I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer.  I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function,  don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising.  Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this.  Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan.


2009 GTR Titan 4.1, Shep 3.5 promax, Boostlogic turbos, Top Racing front bumper and lip, ams trunk with aeromotions active wing, j hook rotors

#2 keelay Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

keelay
  • Members
  • R33 Member

  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Location:s. fl., u.s.a
Wasnt all of this explained before you bought the car?



#3 rabenoja Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

rabenoja
  • Members
  • R34 Member

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
Wow man!  I feel for you!  I know that they tell us to not turn the VDC off but damn, to pay out of pocket for a new tranny....ouch!

How many times did you use the LC?  PM me if you want, I'm just curious...

Good Luck on getting this resolved.



#4 septskyline Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:40 PM

septskyline
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Location:fl
all i was told to do was read over the owners manual, and when i asked them about launch control they told me do it as much as you want.


2009 GTR Titan 4.1, Shep 3.5 promax, Boostlogic turbos, Top Racing front bumper and lip, ams trunk with aeromotions active wing, j hook rotors

#5 Z06-GTR Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

Z06-GTR
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:Southern California
This is what I would do.

First figure out where you stand
- Was LC used a few times here and there?
- Was VDC turned off for a lot of time and was the tranny just beaten down on?

* Don't post that info here of course. But your driving style has been recorded. This can hurt you or benefit you depending on what is your case.

Now assuming that you just launched the car here and there and not major torture was done to the transmission.  I would post this info on all the boards. Yes, you will get some negative feedback but this is publicity they don't need. In addition, you might find others in the same boat.

Then you guys can hire an attorney and build a case on a faulty gear box design. I car with this much power requires a stronger gear box then your typical car. Then should put enough pressure on Nissan to settle on something.



#6 Optherion Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Optherion
  • Members
  • R35 Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Location:California
Sounds like we need a class action lawsuit against nissan lol

on another note, hate to say it but I saw this coming based on a few of the other threads you posted :/

Edited by Yoppie, 04 October 2008 - 12:55 PM.




#7 Arch5 Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:01 PM

Arch5
  • Media
  • NAGTROC design team

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Location:AR
Another perspective:

VDC = Vehicle Dynamic Control.  This is used to monitor the steering angle and vehicle direction (yaw).  WTF does it have to do with the transmission?


Edit:  I need to make a correction to this.  After re-watching Jay Leno's Garage on the GT-R, apparently VDC in the GT-R doesn't stand for the same thing as it did in the Z.  

VDC = Vehicle Differential Control

This is according to the Nissan rep, so I'm not sure if he mispoke or not.


Edit 2:  Ok, now I need to correct my correction.  As suspected, the Nissan Rep didn't have a clue.  It states in the manual about 100 times that VDC does stand for VEHICLE DYNAMIC CONTROL.

Edited by Arch5, 04 October 2008 - 08:00 PM.




#8 Scott@Kaizentuning Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

Scott@Kaizentuning
  • International Vendor
  • R34 Member

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
  • Location:Boston
Good Luck.


2013 R35 BE
Kaizen Tuning LLC
www.kaizentuning.com


#9 Oo oO Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

Oo oO
  • Members
  • R34 Member

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

 Arch5, on Oct 4 2008, 12:01 PM, said:

Another perspective:

VDC = Vehicle Dynamic Control.  This is used to monitor the steering angle and vehicle direction (yaw).  WTF does it have to do with the transmission?

Does it also effect the drivetrain and lock up all four wheels into drive?

(Of course using LC and driving in gears perhaps past the top speed listed for them if dragging is something else too - not saying that was done here, just in general)

Edited by Oo oO, 04 October 2008 - 01:34 PM.




#10 Z06-GTR Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

Z06-GTR
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Location:Southern California
I just did a quick look at the fine print of the warranty info.
http://www.nissanusa...009_GTR_WIB.pdf

Nissan will not cover damage due to misuse of:
Operating the vehicle with VDC off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow.

Basically Nissan put a fine print that VDC can not be shut off. So there is no way to warranty damage from LC since VDC has to be shut off and they will have proof of it.

Did Nissan advertise or explain LC in the owners manual? In any of their ads? Does Nissan have a written policy for LC?



#11 eltardo Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:40 PM

eltardo
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
Hate to be an ass but it sounds to me like someone beat the shit out of his GT-R showing off and  now it's broken.

If you're one of those guys that needs to speed everywhere or use LC to look cool, have fun proving your case. The black box records your driving style like Z06 pointed out, but you already knew this ahead of time. I suspect you just made the incorrect assumption that your car was indestructible.

Sorry this happened dude.



#12 STI2EVO2GTR Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:16 PM

STI2EVO2GTR
  • Supporter
  • SpecV Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Location:New York

 Z06-GTR, on Oct 4 2008, 03:33 PM, said:

I just did a quick look at the fine print of the warranty info.
http://www.nissanusa...009_GTR_WIB.pdf

Nissan will not cover damage due to misuse of:
Operating the vehicle with VDC off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow.

Basically Nissan put a fine print that VDC can not be shut off. So there is no way to warranty damage from LC since VDC has to be shut off and they will have proof of it.

Did Nissan advertise or explain LC in the owners manual? In any of their ads? Does Nissan have a written policy for LC?


I can't see how this will hold up in court considering they put the feature in the car and say not to use it in the owners manual. What car now doesn't have a way to turn traction control off?



#13 Arch5 Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Arch5
  • Media
  • NAGTROC design team

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Location:AR

 Oo oO, on Oct 4 2008, 02:32 PM, said:

Does it also effect the drivetrain and lock up all four wheels into drive?

(Of course using LC and driving in gears perhaps past the top speed listed for them if dragging is something else too - not saying that was done here, just in general)


As far as I know...no.  I believe it only affects the braking and throttle.  I could be wrong.



#14 Goodwood Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

Goodwood
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Caretaker of GODZIRA!

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts
  • Location:SE Florida/NE Indiana
I have no opiniono on this, but since they got the Flicker info, they know whatever you did or didn't do.
One related question: Does VDC turn itself back on after an LC has been done, or does it stay off until you reactivate it?


09 GT-R Ti/Black

Greddy FMIC, Forge DCT Cooler, Cobb SF Intakes, Cobb Swaybars

SSP Catless Downpipes, Cobb Catted Midpipe, 5Zigen SP Tune Catback

AP Racing J-Hook Rotors, Endless MX72 Pads, Stillen SS Brake Lines

Michelin PSS 285/35/20
Tires x4 on 2012 OEM wheels


My Pbase Photo Gallery

Posted Image

#15 XMMAN Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:55 PM

XMMAN
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
my friends Super Silver started acting up last night on the high way.. car has never been launched.. we floored it to pass some traffic and the car made a loud clunk and now only has 2/4/6 for gears.. car will rev up fine as soon as you start it, but 30 seconds later the transmission light will start to flash and the car goes into limp mode.. i believe the accessport was showing a code p2417 which had no definition.. it showed up in both the transmission and ECM.  r mode was on for suspension and transmission, but vdc was normal.. anyone have any insight?


Sirius/(((XM)))


#16 M!! Posted 04 October 2008 - 02:59 PM

M!!
  • Members
  • R32 Member

  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

 septskyline, on Oct 4 2008, 11:22 AM, said:

I was driving my gtr two weeks ago and I heard a loud noise coming from the rear.  I turned immediately had my gtr towed to crown nissan st. petersburg fl.  They didn't touch my car only called some techs from tennessee to look at the car and record the noise,  4 days later two guys from japan to download some info from the car then left.  Then I get a call from the dealer to tell me the news, and they told me that the car was driven without vdc too much and nissan will not warranty the transmission which they said was destroyed, I asked them how much to fix it they told me 20k, no freaking way I will pay 20k on top of what i just paid for the car.  I called the gtr number and also talked to nissan consumer affairs got nowhere, now the car is sitting at the dealer.  I know we shouldn't launch the car but why own it if you cant use this function,  don't sell a car that goes 0-60 in 3.4 sec if the only way you can achieve this speed is to void the warranty , false advertising.  Here is the bad news people were fearing it has happened to me and Nissan has told me there are already three people in my shoes, if you are one of these people email me, we have got to get together on this.  Just think if any of you guys have taken the vdc off just a few times you have already voided your warranty, good luck what a joke nissan.

ouch.

nissan must have read something very unusual in your black box.  
they have advised not to take VDC off, very similar to your headline advice.

but why do you need to drive with VDC off anyways?  how many miles have you got in your GT-R?


konichiwa. my name is GT-R. my nick name is Godzilla.
i am japanese. i grew up in the small town of Nürburg, Germany.
i grew up playing with 911 turbos.
douzo yoroshiku.

#17 STI2EVO2GTR Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

STI2EVO2GTR
  • Supporter
  • SpecV Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • Location:New York

 M!!, on Oct 4 2008, 04:59 PM, said:

ouch.

nissan must have read something very unusual in your black box.
they have advised not to take VDC off, very similar to your headline advice.

but why do you need to drive with VDC off anyways? how many miles have you got in your GT-R?


I found someone who waxes his GT-R and lets it sit in the garage or cruises around on sunday with 15 cars honking behind him



#18 Mick Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

Mick
  • Members
  • Formerly R35_395

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  • Location:planet earth

 XMMAN, on Oct 4 2008, 04:55 PM, said:

my friends Super Silver started acting up last night on the high way.. car has never been launched.. we floored it to pass some traffic and the car made a loud clunk and now only has 2/4/6 for gears.. car will rev up fine as soon as you start it, but 30 seconds later the transmission light will start to flash and the car goes into limp mode.. i believe the accessport was showing a code p2417 which had no definition.. it showed up in both the transmission and ECM.  r mode was on for suspension and transmission, but vdc was normal.. anyone have any insight?

Did you try clearing the code with the accessport?

That is how mine went down, Just accelerating in 2nd and CLUNK..
Your friend is lucky he has a warranty..



#19 celsius Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:30 PM

celsius
  • Members
  • Egoist Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • Location:Aloha
if the transmission is not up to withstanding the power provided by the engine and has indeed a manufacturing flaw? Then there needs to be a "recall" of some sort to get this stuff resolved.

Edited by celsius, 04 October 2008 - 03:30 PM.




#20 DragoGT-R Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:53 PM

DragoGT-R
  • Members
  • R34 Member

  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Location:NY

 M!!, on Oct 4 2008, 04:59 PM, said:

ouch.

nissan must have read something very unusual in your black box.
they have advised not to take VDC off, very similar to your headline advice.

but why do you need to drive with VDC off anyways? how many miles have you got in your GT-R?

You take VDC off because it allows the car to be driven somewhat faster...When you dont have it on and lets say you floor it from a 1st gear roll...the tires spin. Which if traction control is on, the car shifts automatically for you, limiting power. Im sure this is done through retarding the timing. Usually that hows all traction control works

In a nut shell- the car is faster.


AMS GT-R Alpha 9 package

Sold!

First R35 GT-R in the 9's

Video below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX3XsJFt9ac



Best ET - 9.89
Best MPH - 146.96 MPH

Worlds Fastest Alpha 9 GT-R in the standing mile - 205.3 MPH


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users