Nissan GT-R Forum banner

How long do you expect the brakes to last?

14K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  White_turbo 
#1 ·
just curious, planning a maintenance budget for this beast.

#2 ·
It's just like any car you have owned. 30K to 45K miles or more depending on your driving habits and skill and how you use your car.
Keep in mind you want to wear both front and rear brakes as evenly as possible. Nissan recommends changing both brake pads and rotors at the same time and front and rear at the same time. So no sense wearing out one end faster than the other and having to replace everything too soon.

Anytime you do hard braking on the track, during fast cornering or drive downhills you are going to wear your brakes much faster.

If you do normal street driving I think you can make your brakes last 30K miles or much longer. Depends on how much urban driving vs highway miles you drive. More long drives should allow for more total miles before brakes wear out.

If you know how to use brakes effectively you can make your brakes wear less even with a fair amount of performance driving. Good track drivers don't overuse their brakes- heat is bad and good use of brakes will allow for enough stopping power lap after lap. Same goes for tires.

Therefore if you care, you can make best use of your wearable parts and better use of your car (any car) with some driving school.

Unfortunately most owners of performance cars have no idea how to use brakes correctly and tend to just thrash around. Brakes will wear out, plan accordingly.

#7 ·
Nissan recommends changing both brake pads and rotors at the same time and front and rear at the same time.
Is that just a friendly recommendation or do they threaten to void warranty if you don't change your rotors?

To me changing all rotors every time you need new pads seems a bit too extreme. Are GTRs rotors made out of paper? Why STIs 4-caliper Brembo rotors can survive abuse of multiple pad changes? The only explanation I can come up with is that it is recommended to maintain maximum performance but does it really matter for a daily driver thats never tracked?

Has anyone tried confirming with Nissan whether rotors MUST be change also every time pads are changed? I'll have to ask my dealer next time I'm in.

Thanks.

#3 ·
My G35 with the Brembo lasted 26k miles, so 25k to 30k sounds about right. A complete set (Pads and Rotors, Front and rears) are about $2,500 online. I'm planning to buy the set at 20k and store it until I need it. Some guys are changing to more "rotor friendly" pads now. Don't forget the tires.

AutoXGTR, how do you use the brakes on the street? Is it better to stay on the brakes shorter but brake harder, or stay on the brakes longer but hit the brakes softer?

#4 ·
My G35 with the Brembo lasted 26k miles, so 25k to 30k sounds about right. A complete set (Pads and Rotors, Front and rears) are about $2,500 online. I'm planning to buy the set at 20k and store it until I need it. Some guys are changing to more "rotor friendly" pads now. Don't forget the tires.

AutoXGTR, how do you use the brakes on the street? Is it better to stay on the brakes shorter but brake harder, or stay on the brakes longer but hit the brakes softer?
I ask my dealer that same question. He checked with Nissan and was told 40K+ miles with normal driving habits.

#6 ·
I also try to avoid using my brakes as much as possible and I use engine to help me slow down as I downshift while applying brakes at the same time. Before the TCM update downshifting was a bit rough. After the update it is considerably smoother except 2->1 that one still send a pretty sudden jolt. I am starting to avoid 2->1 downshifts until the very last moment. Just before the car comes to a complete stop and just as I feel the clutch disengage from the engine then I downshift into 1st. I think if you keep your RPMs high the shifts seem smoother but its not practical for every day driving.

#11 ·
I also try to avoid using my brakes as much as possible and I use engine to help me slow down as I downshift while applying brakes at the same time. Before the TCM update downshifting was a bit rough. After the update it is considerably smoother except 2->1 that one still send a pretty sudden jolt. I am starting to avoid 2->1 downshifts until the very last moment. Just before the car comes to a complete stop and just as I feel the clutch disengage from the engine then I downshift into 1st. I think if you keep your RPMs high the shifts seem smoother but its not practical for every day driving.
I always did used this technique on my previous manual transmission cars, and have the habit of "engine braking" with the GT-R. I have been thinking more recently that a new set of brake pads (+/_ rotors) would be cheaper than a worn transmission/clutch? What are the thoughts on engine braking?

#13 ·
I has 2 x E46 M3s with the Brembo BBKs on. Never tracked, all street and one tip I've learned to get some extra miles on the brakes:

1. downshift then brake.
2. at a traffic light, shift no Neutral. Because in any auto, your car will creep forward and with your brakes on, you're grinding!

#15 ·
Hmmm...I guess time will show but I can't imagine GTRs huge brakes would wear quicker than STIs...but who knows...

I had 70,000 miles on my 2004 STI when I sold it and I only had to change tires and brake pads once. Never had to change rotors. So if GTR wears anything like the STI did I still have a long ways go to before having to change brakes.

#18 ·
It's funny how everyone is trying to guess how long the brakes last. This is the same as asking how long a tank of gas lasts on the car.

It just depends on how you use it. If you always drive fast, then your brakes will be used a lot more and wear faster. And if you drive sensibly most of the time, then your brakes will last longer.

The material of the GTR brake pads will probably wear a little bit quicker than your Honda Civic, given the same driving habits. There is probably very little difference in HOW you brake (ie. light pressure and long stopping distance vs. heavy pressure and short stopping distance) in normal street driving. Of course, if you drag race from light to light, then your brakes will wear out faster. If you drive like a grandma, then your brakes will probably last 20k miles or so.

If you are worried about changing brakes often, just keep your speed in check. I think we are over analyzing this issue (i.e. engine braking, downshifting, less gas, e-braking, turning off your car and coast etc.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.