• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 SEI Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

SEI
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
was driving around yesterday doing random things when my my awd light came on it said the clutch was overheating.. got this message in like 5 mins.. anyone else got this before?? was just thinking.. if im able to do this on the street hows this car gonna be at track...

Posted Image

2009 GTR (Super Silver/Black)
Mods:
Matte Black Stock Rims

#2 underpressure Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

underpressure
  • Members
  • www.goturnstop.com

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

SEI, on Jan 29 2009, 04:31 PM, said:

was driving around yesterday doing random things when my my awd light came on it said the clutch was overheating.. got this message in like 5 mins.. anyone else got this before?? was just thinking.. if im able to do this on the street hows this car gonna be at track...

All 3 cars saw it at Road Atlanta when it was 31deg. Transfer case was working overtime to keep power going to the front wheels. Pulled into the pits and let them cool. Went right back to it. No harm.

You were doing donuts in the snow weren't you. :doh:

#3 jaspergtr Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

jaspergtr
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,502 posts
what trans temps did you see?

the highest mine has been is 255deg  (for only one session)

GTM Street Mid-pipe
AP slotted rotors (Fr)
Cosworth Trackmaster Pads
SFS Matte CF Wing
Rexpeed Front Lip
Sundown 8" SA-8 Sub w/JBL Amp

#4 underpressure Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

underpressure
  • Members
  • www.goturnstop.com

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
The warning is not related to trans fluid temp.
I have gotten this warning on the dyno and track while fluid temps were in the normal operating range.

#5 Sharif@Forged Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sharif@Forged
  • International Vendor
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts

underpressure, on Jan 29 2009, 05:34 PM, said:

The warning is not related to trans fluid temp.
I have gotten this warning on the dyno and track while fluid temps were in the normal operating range.
Yeah, I always found that odd.  I remember Derek's got it after a lap or two, and was nowhere near the danger zone of heat.  Then I don't think they saw it much more after that.

Nothing to worry about.  I am going to test out the Willall fluid at VIR, and see how the temps compare.  Martin claims a 20F or greater temp reduction.  That would sound fabulous to me.

Posted Image

Sharif Abdelbaset | GM | Calibrator | Driving Instructor
Sharif@ForgedPerformance.com
498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta GA 30060
Forged Performance will meet or beat any competitors pricing!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 underpressure Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

underpressure
  • Members
  • www.goturnstop.com

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Sharif@Forged, on Jan 29 2009, 05:42 PM, said:

Yeah, I always found that odd.  I remember Derek's got it after a lap or two, and was nowhere near the danger zone of heat.  Then I don't think they saw it much more after that.

Nothing to worry about.  I am going to test out the Willall fluid at VIR, and see how the temps compare.  Martin claims a 20F or greater temp reduction.  That would sound fabulous to me.

Going to the dark side huh :P
How many liters you having shipped over.

#7 Sharif@Forged Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

Sharif@Forged
  • International Vendor
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,428 posts

underpressure, on Jan 29 2009, 05:44 PM, said:

I am sampling my OEM oil, and then testing with the Willall.  It's just a test. :lmfao:  But if it works as advertised, I will be sold.
I am not going to start carry it for stock, until I give it a good rehersal.  I don't think I have any extra coming..just enough for one change.  

You thinking of trying it out too?

Posted Image

Sharif Abdelbaset | GM | Calibrator | Driving Instructor
Sharif@ForgedPerformance.com
498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta GA 30060
Forged Performance will meet or beat any competitors pricing!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 GTR35V Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

GTR35V
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Sharif@Forged, on Jan 29 2009, 04:57 PM, said:

I am sampling my OEM oil, and then testing with the Willall. It's just a test. :doh: But if it works as advertised, I will be sold.
I am not going to start carry it for stock, until I give it a good rehersal. I don't think I have any extra coming..just enough for one change.

You thinking of trying it out too?

I think ALL of us here are intrested in an unbiased review of the WILLALL.  Let us know how it goes! I would love to use it if it quiets the trans down and keeps it cooler.

Gunmetal | Black | Premium | iPod | GTR mats | JDM side markers | custom lighting etc...

#9 Kris@GTRBlog Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

Kris@GTRBlog
  • Media
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

SEI, on Jan 30 2009, 07:31 AM, said:

Take the car to the dealer and have them adjust the clutch point? Perhaps the clutch requires calibration.

Posted Image
GTRBlog.com- Your Source for R35 GT-R News

#10 SEI Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:18 PM

SEI
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

underpressure, on Jan 29 2009, 04:37 PM, said:

All 3 cars saw it at Road Atlanta when it was 31deg. Transfer case was working overtime to keep power going to the front wheels. Pulled into the pits and let them cool. Went right back to it. No harm.

You were doing donuts in the snow weren't you. :doh:

haha ur right... was drifting with a couple guys.. im pretty sure warranty is void vdc off lol.. i cant stand driving it in R or normal on snow.. off is so much easier...

Edited by SEI, 29 January 2009 - 08:21 PM.

Posted Image

Mods:
Matte Black Stock Rims

#11 underpressure Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

underpressure
  • Members
  • www.goturnstop.com

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

SEI, on Jan 29 2009, 09:18 PM, said:

haha ur right... was drifting with a couple guys.. im pretty sure warranty is void vdc off lol.. i cant stand driving it in R or normal on snow.. off is so much easier...

:doh:

#12 Martin Donnon Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

Martin Donnon
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

underpressure, on Jan 29 2009, 05:44 PM, said:

We have actually supplied Sharif with enough product to cover 2 cars underpressure :cheers:
There is the conventional WR35TM which is already well known and used in the GTR community, and our new prototype Track Only WR35TMR compound with a highly advanced formulation that sees it raise film strength to 25cSt @ 100C. Thats over 3 times that of the conventional GR6 fluid (10cSt more than WR35TM), and shows large reductions in transmission temperature and friction. Testing so far has been in our own vehicle and in 90F plus climatic conditions, so its not public release yet, but if you want to try the future of high performance racetrack DCT fluid technology then by all means twist Sharifs arm and get him to put the second 10L of WR35TMR in your car :cheers:

#13 thebishman Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

thebishman
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Martin Donnon, on Feb 2 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

We have actually supplied Sharif with enough product to cover 2 cars underpressure :lmfao:
There is the conventional WR35TM which is already well known and used in the GTR community, and our new prototype Track Only WR35TMR compound with a highly advanced formulation that sees it raise film strength to 25cSt @ 100C. Thats over 3 times that of the conventional GR6 fluid (10cSt more than WR35TM), and shows large reductions in transmission temperature and friction. Testing so far has been in our own vehicle and in 90F plus climatic conditions, so its not public release yet, but if you want to try the future of high performance racetrack DCT fluid technology then by all means twist Sharifs arm and get him to put the second 10L of WR35TMR in your car :)

Martin,

Any difference in 'driveability' with the racing formulation? Specifically, any reduction in gear change speed?

Bish

#14 Martin Donnon Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

Martin Donnon
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

thebishman, on Feb 2 2009, 06:47 PM, said:

Martin,
Any difference in 'driveability' with the racing formulation? Specifically, any reduction in gear change speed?
Bish

Bish at this stage the only noticeable driveability difference is that the clutch takeup is a little smoother from a standing start....shift times indeed remain the same. More testing will be carried out before this product is released to the public as its film strength and viscosity dictate that testing in cold weather at some detail level will indeed be required before that time. Sharif has some of this special fluid purely to test in race track applications (which is our only intent for WR35TMR) :)

#15 SEI Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

SEI
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 344 posts
hey, my awd clutch overheat thing came back on again.. today i wasnt drifting but everything was set to r.. was driving around for like half an hour and it overheated? whats wrong with my car?

Posted Image

Mods:
Matte Black Stock Rims

#16 Martin Donnon Posted 08 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

Martin Donnon
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

SEI, on Feb 8 2009, 04:09 PM, said:

hey, my awd clutch overheat thing came back on again.. today i wasnt drifting but everything was set to r.. was driving around for like half an hour and it overheated? whats wrong with my car?

It sounds like you may not have enough fluid in the transmission to start with. Giving it a complete service would be a step in the right direction :cheers:

Edited by Martin Donnon, 08 February 2009 - 03:27 PM.

#17 SEI Posted 08 February 2009 - 04:06 PM

SEI
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 344 posts

Martin Donnon, on Feb 8 2009, 04:22 PM, said:

It sounds like you may not have enough fluid in the transmission to start with. Giving it a complete service would be a step in the right direction :cheers:

alright, ill do that... but what i dont really understand is that its -20 c outside and its still overheating..

Posted Image

Mods:
Matte Black Stock Rims

#18 ShahulX Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
my clutch overheat light came on at VIR.... so martin, there will be 2 types of willall tranny fluids?

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#19 Z06KLR Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:02 PM

Z06KLR
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 105 posts
I put on a new set of wheels and tires and the overall height was just slightly different which caused the wheels (front vs rear) to see 2 different speeds. When this happened for about a mile, I started to get the "AWD clutch temp high" warning.  The trans temp was 190 degrees (not hot at all) and  I immediately took it to a nearby Nissan dealership.  The GT-R tech rode with me with a Consult III hooked up.  This is how we discovered the wheel speed issue.

The Consult III saw all temps (including all 8 in the transmission and clutches) at normal levels and the Consult saw no warnings, codes etc.  This is while the warning was reading on my dash.  We repeated it on 3 separate drives.  Throw the stock wheels back on and no issues at all.

My assumption is if the ECU sees a constant slipping of the tires, such as at the track or when wheels move at different speeds (tire size, traction loss difference, etc) for a given amount of time or distance, it throws this warning.  Are the clutches really hot?  Not according to my MFD or the Consult in my case.  I doubt any real damage was done, the car is just being overly cautious.  If this is true, it is a very smart car.

2009 Ivory Pearl GT-R
Stage 1 Cobb AP
Custom LED Sidemarkers & Interior Lighting
Color Matched Engine Cover

Previous: 2003 350ZTT, 615whp, 597tq

#20 celsius Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

celsius
  • Members
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,569 posts
Thanks for the info!

Z06KLR, on Feb 25 2009, 06:02 PM, said:

I put on a new set of wheels and tires and the overall height was just slightly different which caused the wheels (front vs rear) to see 2 different speeds. When this happened for about a mile, I started to get the "AWD clutch temp high" warning. The trans temp was 190 degrees (not hot at all) and I immediately took it to a nearby Nissan dealership. The GT-R tech rode with me with a Consult III hooked up. This is how we discovered the wheel speed issue.

The Consult III saw all temps (including all 8 in the transmission and clutches) at normal levels and the Consult saw no warnings, codes etc. This is while the warning was reading on my dash. We repeated it on 3 separate drives. Throw the stock wheels back on and no issues at all.

My assumption is if the ECU sees a constant slipping of the tires, such as at the track or when wheels move at different speeds (tire size, traction loss difference, etc) for a given amount of time or distance, it throws this warning. Are the clutches really hot? Not according to my MFD or the Consult in my case. I doubt any real damage was done, the car is just being overly cautious. If this is true, it is a very smart car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users