- - - - -

My car jerks on take off after Willall TF and DF.

41 replies to this topic

#1 GT-Ricer Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:48 AM

GT-Ricer
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Last week I changed fluids in both my diffs and transmission using Willall R35 product. It is now impossible to smoothly move off the line no matter how I try to feather
the accelerator. My car does three little jerks everytime I take off!

Only if I am pointing downhill and it starts rolling forward by itself at idle, can I smoothly accelerate and there is no "bunny hop".
Otherwise it is "three hops and go" every time! Alteranatively, if I just stomp on the gas, it forgets to hop three times too.

I cannot detect any other "benefit" (?) in my daily driving so I hope it's been worth losing my warranty over this little exercise....
Hopefully it will prove it's worth on the track.

Has anyone tried adjusting the clutch settings to get rid off this light swich "on-off-on-off-GO" response from the tranny after filling with Willall fluids?

#2 jaykkub Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:00 AM

jaykkub
  • Members
  • lazy photographer

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
I'm running OEM fluids and this happens normally on my car. I spoke to my GTR tech at Nissan and he said if I wanted I could have him adjust the settings so it doesn't jerk anymore. I plan on doing that during my 18k service. It's like I don't know how to drive a manual trans. car :cheers:

Posted Image
2009 GT-R (Pearl White / Premium)
Downforce | Akuma | COBB AP | HKS

#3 GT-Ricer Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

GT-Ricer
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

View Postjaykkub, on Apr 25 2010, 06:00 PM, said:

I'm running OEM fluids and this happens normally on my car. I spoke to my GTR tech at Nissan and he said if I wanted I could have him adjust the settings so it doesn't jerk anymore. I plan on doing that during my 18k service. It's like I don't know how to drive a manual trans. car :cheers:

It didn't jerk with OEM fluids, but it did hesitate during 3000RPM launches, as they all do due to boost lag.
This three-hop jerkiness is definitely new.

#4 jaykkub Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:23 AM

jaykkub
  • Members
  • lazy photographer

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

View PostGT-Ricer, on Apr 25 2010, 03:19 AM, said:

It didn't jerk with OEM fluids, but it did hesitate during 3000RPM launches, as they all do due to boost lag.
This three-hop jerkiness is definitely new.

yeah it doesn't happen all the time with my car, usually when it's on auto mode (or at least it seems that way). My GTR tech mentioned changing some clutch points to fix it. I tend to notice this happening when my car has sat idle for a long time (overnight).

Posted Image
2009 GT-R (Pearl White / Premium)
Downforce | Akuma | COBB AP | HKS

#5 dukegtr Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:26 AM

dukegtr
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
it does with me, mine only has 3k miles and it's been doing it since i bought it. Just can't get a smooth take off

2010 GTR : 548 awhp / 558 ft-lb (91 pump)

: HB Speed Intake
: Titek Y pipe
: Titek RACE Titanium exhaust
: COBB AP + HB SPEED TUNE
: THAT'S IT !!!! No, really THAT'S IT!

2004 AW BMW M3 : STOCK
[/color]
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 alphan Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:34 AM

alphan
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
i have used willall too. it  does the same.and it shifts slower now.i will use oem oil agaim.they say because it s thick it will slow your car.

#7 nico Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:35 AM

nico
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
very interesting.... hope this isnt the case with ALL willall fluid equipped cars

2010 GT-R
AAM GT900-R turbos, built motor, shep stage 3 trans
tuned by 5150 Racing
Special thanks to: Jon Drenas, Sean Morris, Ben Linney, AMS, Eugene @ SPE, ACG, Sheptrans, Sam (VEGASGTR), Christian (Dv8), and all others who have helped me throughout the way

#8 Dave@GotboostPerformance Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

Dave@GotboostPerformance
  • Vendors
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts
Mine does the same with the Wilall. When I get the trans good and warm, (like above 190 degrees), it gets much better, but when it's cold it is very annoying. I feel, (and probably appear like) a teenager learning to drive a clutch for the first time. My dealer was of no help adjusting clutch capacity and touch points. I'm just waiting for Cobb to make clutch and touch point adjustment available on the AP which will come very soon, and I'll screw with the settings myself. :cheers:

'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.nagtroc.o...he-gbp-900-kit/

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
dave@gotboostperformance.com
email and paypal

Posted Image

#9 Martin Donnon Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

Martin Donnon
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts
With any type of fluid that does this, stock, Willall whatever, set the transmission up to 'creep' and the problem will go away.
Some of the 2009 cars dont have any creep built into them with factory setting, something that the earlier transmission software of the 2008 had right out the box :cheers:

#10 GT-Ricer Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:49 AM

GT-Ricer
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

View PostMartin Donnon, on Apr 25 2010, 07:33 PM, said:

With any type of fluid that does this, stock, Willall whatever, set the transmission up to 'creep' and the problem will go away.
Some of the 2009 cars dont have any creep built into them with factory setting, something that the earlier transmission software of the 2008 had right out the box :cheers:

Thanks Martin, that makes sense, if only life was so simple, but more might be needed.

On a level ground my car does creep forward quite readily and smoothly, but if I try to go forward beyond this slow creep, it hops two or three times.
The only exceptions are if the car is on a steepish hill pointing down or if I stab the accelerator hard and it bolts.
I drive into my garage using only the idle creep and brake, especially close to the back wall!

Isn't this the same as what you mean by "creep" setting?

If this is not what you mean by factory-set "creep", will any more slippage setting be limitted to the FIRST gear or will it affect the speed
at which the tranny changes in all other gears ie. will the clutch "slip-in" all the gears instead of rifle-bolt snapping them in?

I would sure hate that, as it will soon ruin the clutch on the track and kill all launch times.

#11 Goodwood Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:06 AM

Goodwood
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Caretaker of GODZIRA!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

View PostGT-Ricer, on Apr 25 2010, 06:49 AM, said:

Thanks Martin, that makes sense, if only life was so simple, but more might be needed.

On a level ground my car does creep forward quite readily and smoothly, but if I try to go forward beyond this slow creep, it hops two or three times.
The only exceptions are if the car is on a steepish hill pointing down or if I stab the accelerator hard and it bolts.
I drive into my garage using only the idle creep and brake, especially close to the back wall!

Isn't this the same as what you mean by "creep" setting?

If this is not what you mean by factory-set "creep", will any more slippage setting be limitted to the FIRST gear or will it affect the speed
at which the tranny changes in all other gears ie. will the clutch "slip-in" all the gears instead of rifle-bolt snapping them in?

I would sure hate that, as it will soon ruin the clutch on the track and kill all launch times.
Touch Points adjustment could also be referred to as the "take up" point, the moment of initial engagement from a standstill. It has nothing to do with how hard the car shifts from gear to gear. The Capacities adjustment is for that.

Edited by Goodwood, 25 April 2010 - 06:06 AM.

09 GT-R Ti/Black

Greddy FMIC, Forge DCT Cooler, Cobb SF Intakes, Cobb Swaybars

SSP Catless Downpipes, Cobb Catted Midpipe, 5Zigen SP Tune Catback

AP Racing J-Hook Rotors, Endless MX72 Pads, Stillen SS Brake Lines

Michelin PSS 285/35/20
Tires x4 on 2012 OEM wheels

My Pbase Photo Gallery

Posted Image

#12 DocNrock Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

DocNrock
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
Mine does this withe the Willall fluids, as well.  However, it only happens when the car is cold.  Once things are up to temp, this mostly goes away.  It is a minor annoyance to me, but since I track my car, I feel the added protection is worth it.

2009 Obsidian Black Nissan GT-R Premium. 550 awhp, 544 awtq (Mustang dyno, 91 octane). Dyno tuned by Jon at Cobb SoCal

Auto Club Speedway ROVAL 1:51.450, Willow Springs (big Willow) 1:34.457, Buttonwillow 13cw 2:02.858, SMMR 3.1 2:41.811

Go: Akuma BM intakes with Outerwears prefilters, AMS FMIC, Harman Motive intercooler piping, iD 1000cc injectors, dual Walbro fuel pumps, NGK racing plugs, AAM decatted downpipes, Cobb catted Y-pipe, HKS Legamax exhaust, and Cobb AP with custom tune.

Stop: AP Racing J-hook rotors, Endless ME20 pads, Stillen stainless brake lines, Endless RF-650 fluid.

Handling: Stillen sway bars, Dunlop SportMaxx 285's x 4, KW Coilover Sleeve kit, custom track alignment.

Accoutrements: Traqmate Complete/Chase Cam, GT Motoring tow hook, ARP studs, Project Kics R40 lugnuts. Passenger seat mount Halon extinguisher.

#13 k3vkoh Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

k3vkoh
  • Members
  • WOTer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
Same here, the jerks happen after the Willall fluid. When the tranny is cold, it goes away once its warm. Only way to prevent it is to stomp on the gas on every green light, which is not very convenient. I believe a clutch point adjustment will fix it, which I can't since I don't have access to CIII.

2008 Pearl White GT-R Black Edition

Performance// Greddy XL T-29 SPEC-R HG Intercooler kit | Greddy Type RZ BOV | HKS Racing midpipe | HKS Legamax Exhaust | ASNU1050 Injectors | 76mm Intake | Customs Tune by Ben@GTC

Aerodynamics// AutoSelect CF Canard | Mine's CF Front Grill | Mine's CF Hood Duct | Zele CF Side Duct | Mine's CF Front Lip | Kansai Service CF Side Skirt | CarbonDry Japan CF Rear Diffuser | Tommy Kaira CF Spoiler | Volks Racing G2 HMB

#14 ShahulX Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
change the touch points to +2 I think(for me modded)..stock maybe +1 on B?... I did this recently and it helps, although it still bucks a little when cold.... I changed the clutch capacities as well...  i am using willall tranny and diff fluids... I dont DD my car though.  Its worth the hopping to protect the tranny and lsd's ... assuming you track the car I guess... if you DD then definetly go to a nissan dealer and have them adjust the touch points and CC

Edited by ShahulX, 25 April 2010 - 07:51 AM.

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#15 ShahulX Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
http://www.nagtroc.o...h points shahul

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

#16 thebishman Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

thebishman
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

View Postgotboost, on Apr 25 2010, 03:39 AM, said:

Mine does the same with the Wilall. When I get the trans good and warm, (like above 190 degrees), it gets much better, but when it's cold it is very annoying. I feel, (and probably appear like) a teenager learning to drive a clutch for the first time. My dealer was of no help adjusting clutch capacity and touch points. I'm just waiting for Cobb to make clutch and touch point adjustment available on the AP which will come very soon, and I'll screw with the settings myself. :irock:

+1.

Just waiting on the necessary AP software to be able to adjust TPs myself.

For those of you who find it really obnoxious; are you always driving in M mode? I find it helps a little especially when the car is cold.

Bish

#17 ShahulX Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
i always drive in Manual... in the streets, on track etc... it feels 100% natural to me now....like stickshift, i cannot remember the last time I was driving in auto, unless I am holding a bag of carryout food to make sure it doesnt spill

[/b]
[/color]

#18 pi-man Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:13 AM

pi-man
  • Supporter
  • OnTrack Maniac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts
I've noticed this with mine as well but only when I first start it. Once the trans temp goes over about 80F, it smooths out. The OEM fluid had a similar issue although not as pronounced. If it's really cold (i.e., winter), I just let it idle in the driveway for a bit. It only takes 2-3 minutes for the trans for warm up so it's not a big deal. I do also track the car so I'd rather have the additional protection and if I have to sit for a minute or two on startup, that's fine with me.

Once the AP has the ability to adjust clutch settings, I may play around with it a bit so I'm looking forward to that as well.  :irock:

#19 ShahulX Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

View Postpi-man, on Apr 25 2010, 10:13 AM, said:

I've noticed this with mine as well but only when I first start it. Once the trans temp goes over about 80F, it smooths out. The OEM fluid had a similar issue although not as pronounced. If it's really cold (i.e., winter), I just let it idle in the driveway for a bit. It only takes 2-3 minutes for the trans for warm up so it's not a big deal. I do also track the car so I'd rather have the additional protection and if I have to sit for a minute or two on startup, that's fine with me.

Once the AP has the ability to adjust clutch settings, I may play around with it a bit so I'm looking forward to that as well.  :cheers:

yea, that will be nice too... i think most Nissan dealers do it for free but only if you tell them the setting...unless your close with them

[/b]
[/color]

#20 jerome88 Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:54 AM

jerome88
  • Members
  • R36 Member

• PipPip
  • 423 posts

View Postdukegtr, on Apr 25 2010, 04:26 AM, said:

it does with me, mine only has 3k miles and it's been doing it since i bought it. Just can't get a smooth take off

you are not alone

I'm going to say that those who complain about the GT-R's supposed soullessness simply aren't pushing it hard enough.

2010 Nissan R35 GT-R (COBB Access Port with Kaizen Custom Tune, Harman Motive Midpipe, HKS Legamax Premium Catback, COBB Cold Air Intake, DEKA Carbon Hood, Aeromotions R2 Static Wing, Nissan LED Driving Lights, Kenwood Reverse Camera, Wrap Solutions Custom Color Wrap)

1959 Mercedes-Benz 190SL
1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2
2007 Jeep GC SRT8 SOLD

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users