GT-R vs Lotus Elise SC

28 replies to this topic

#1 drtonyprimo Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

drtonyprimo
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 43 posts
I've had my Elise for awhile now....just got the GT-R last week.  With my Lotus, the steering & handling inspires so much confidence that all you need to do is "point" the car in a certain direction and it goes that way!  The after market supercharger (Sector 111 Katana) gives me the low end power that I didn't have prior.  The car is super fast but at higher speeds (~90-100 mph)...the car starts feeling "light".  I'm just curious what you guys think comparing these two automobiles.  Thanks!

2009 GT-R, Pearl White
2007 Lotus Elise, SC
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L, 4X4

#2 Kenny Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Kenny
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

View Postdrtonyprimo, on May 5 2010, 02:59 PM, said:

I've had my Elise for awhile now....just got the GT-R last week.  With my Lotus, the steering & handling inspires so much confidence that all you need to do is "point" the car in a certain direction and it goes that way!  The after market supercharger (Sector 111 Katana) gives me the low end power that I didn't have prior.  The car is super fast but at higher speeds (~90-100 mph)...the car starts feeling "light".  I'm just curious what you guys think comparing these two automobiles.  Thanks!

drive the gtr, put a smile on your face..... then go buy one  :cheers:

btw, I think this car inspires so much confidence and does not feel one bit "weary", even well into the triple digits

Edited by Kenny, 05 May 2010 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image
'09 SS GTR
Downforce Carbon Sport Lip | Carbon Side Splitter | Carbon Grill | Carbon Headlight Trim | Carbon Lip Spoiler | Carbon Exhaust Shield
547hp/547tq
HKS Midpipe / Akuma Intakes / Cobb AP / Wald Diffuser
Downforce DFR Carbon Seats

PM me on specials for Downforce Carbon Aero Pieces

#3 Psalm40 Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Psalm40
  • Members
  • R35 TT3.8 V6

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
The problem with my GT-R is that it starts to feel REALLY COMFORTABLE at about 90 mph.  You are driving along, going home from work, feeling good, thinking about all  of the slow cars on the road, looking down and you are going WAY TOO FAST!

2009 Solid Red Premium GT-R SOLD
2010 Steel Silver Outback 2.5 Premium (winter car)
2011 Tricoat White Yukon Denali XL (wife's new daily)
~1988 Orange/Yellow Little-Tikes Cozy Coupe (kid's daily)

#4 EvilGTR21 Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

EvilGTR21
  • Members
  • 24>23

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

View PostPsalm40, on May 5 2010, 03:33 PM, said:

The problem with my GT-R is that it starts to feel REALLY COMFORTABLE at about 90 mph.  You are driving along, going home from work, feeling good, thinking about all  of the slow cars on the road, looking down and you are going WAY TOO FAST!
So true. I always catch myself going faster than I normally drive.

#5 PEH Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

PEH
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 216 posts

View PostPsalm40, on May 5 2010, 05:33 PM, said:

The problem with my GT-R is that it starts to feel REALLY COMFORTABLE at about 90 mph. You are driving along, going home from work, feeling good, thinking about all of the slow cars on the road, looking down and you are going WAY TOO FAST!

I just bought this car after trading a C63 AMG and on the 650 mile drive home I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was on a long haul. Cruising at 75-80mph netted 22.8 mpg. This car isn't really meant for long boring drives on the highway but it handles them very well and with comfort. Before buying the car I was concerned due to posts about it's "rough ride" and "noisy cabin".  I thought it was fine - no complaints with either. I understand how difficult it is to keep it at or close to the speed limit. This is a far better car than the C63 (in my opinion).

#6 Psalm40 Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:42 PM

Psalm40
  • Members
  • R35 TT3.8 V6

• PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

View PostPEH, on May 5 2010, 05:50 PM, said:

I just bought this car after trading a C63 AMG and on the 650 mile drive home I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was on a long haul. Cruising at 75-80mph netted 22.8 mpg. This car isn't really meant for long boring drives on the highway but it handles them very well and with comfort. Before buying the car I was concerned due to posts about it's "rough ride" and "noisy cabin". I thought it was fine - no complaints with either. I understand how difficult it is to keep it at or close to the speed limit. This is a far better car than the C63 (in my opinion).

PEH- If you have not done any noise proofing yet, do it!  You will really love the long highway hauls with the Dynamat or the 'Home Depot" method by DPak.  I drive mine to Chicago and Michigan every summer by myself (leave the wife and kids at home!) and it is really an enjoyable time away...

2009 Solid Red Premium GT-R SOLD
2010 Steel Silver Outback 2.5 Premium (winter car)
2011 Tricoat White Yukon Denali XL (wife's new daily)
~1988 Orange/Yellow Little-Tikes Cozy Coupe (kid's daily)

#7 Bullo Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

Bullo
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
As far as 'inspiring confidence' goes, I have not driven any car that let's you be as stupid as you can be with a GTR at the track. You get tremendous feedback from the steering wheel and the grip is just amazing. I haven't driven an else, but I'd imagine you'd be very satisfied with GTR performance at the track

Posted Image

#8 White_turbo Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:11 PM

White_turbo
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
No comparison can really be made between the two.  The Elise is simple in every way with superb handling.  The GTR is big with superb handling and very fast for its size.  

If you like to drive a car without much driver aid, then Elise is the car for you.  But if you don't mind some technology to help you and want a fast car, then the GTR.  

For pure track driving, I'd do Elise.  For track and street use, GTR.  :)

#9 Keller Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Keller
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
Here is my take.  I was at Roebling Road last Friday and there were several Elise's there.  I stayed with them (AKA on their ass) through the twisties and blew by them on the straights.  I am not the best driver by any means but am somewhat decent.  What this tells me is that even with the extra half ton, the GT-R can hang through any corner with the Lotus.
With that being said, in attendance was a professional driver and he took an Elise SC (not his) out with Housier R6's and a few other goodies.  He said it was one of the funnest cars he has driven.  Point and shoot.
Steering feel, road feel, etc... the Elise is going to feel different, drastically.  Which car is faster around a road course?  If the course has any straights it will be the GT-R.

2015 Jaguar F-Type R White/Black with red stitch

2014 Black/Red interior (Sold)

2013 White GT-R (gone)

2010 SS GT-R (Sold)

2009 GM GT-R (Sold)

#10 the King Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

the King
  • Members
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts
Only old men (like meself) complain about the 'harsh ride' of the GT-R.

......PS: I am not that old so it doesnt matter. The only place I would be remotely concerned about the Lotus is in wet corners and if I had to haul anything bigger than my laptop bag.

Tommi Makinen Edition aka Evolution 6.5: full GSR trim, Coilovers.

#11 thebishman Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

thebishman
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

View PostKeller, on May 5 2010, 07:16 PM, said:

Here is my take. I was at Roebling Road last Friday and there were several Elise's there. I stayed with them (AKA on their ass) through the twisties and blew by them on the straights. I am not the best driver by any means but am somewhat decent. What this tells me is that even with the extra half ton, the GT-R can hang through any corner with the Lotus.
With that being said, in attendance was a professional driver and he took an Elise SC (not his) out with Housier R6's and a few other goodies. He said it was one of the funnest cars he has driven. Point and shoot.
Steering feel, road feel, etc... the Elise is going to feel different, drastically. Which car is faster around a road course? If the course has any straights it will be the GT-R.

I run with a guy who owns a S/C Elise that puts out about 325 wheel hp. He runs with coil-overs and the Hankook equivilent of the Hoosier R6 tyres. The car weighs about 1900 lbs. Frankly he is almost impossible for me to beat on track. Yes I am still quite a bit faster on the straights but he gains so much time on me in the corners, that I always wave him by even though I could hold him up and pull out a lead again on the next straight. I am getting R6s next to see if that will increase my corner speed enough that I can keep him at bay. If not, I'm going with coil-overs myself. (I currently have R888s btw).

So moral of the story: beware of high hp Loti with a good driver. They are track animals. lol

Bish

#12 paparazzi Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:03 AM

paparazzi
  • Site Moderator
  • Torque Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

View Postdrtonyprimo, on May 5 2010, 05:59 PM, said:

The car is super fast but at higher speeds (~90-100 mph)...the car starts feeling "light".

You call this higher speeds??? Hmmmm I live on an island and my idea of higher speed is 150-170mph!   90-100mph is cruising speed in a GTR bro!

JDM Mine's dry carbon Spec X 6.0 with genuine Spec-V turbos
617ft lb and 652whp on MS109E

#13 shawnhayes Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

shawnhayes
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

View Postpaparazzi, on May 6 2010, 11:03 AM, said:

You call this higher speeds??? Hmmmm I live on an island and my idea of higher speed is 150-170mph! 90-100mph is cruising speed in a GTR bro!

I believe he is referring to how the Lotus feels.   I have to say a Lotus feels like a feather on track.  Not as stable as the GT-R, but much more agile in rapid transitions.

Shawn

#14 STI2EVO2GTR Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

STI2EVO2GTR
  • Supporter
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

View Postpaparazzi, on May 6 2010, 11:03 AM, said:

You call this higher speeds??? Hmmmm I live on an island and my idea of higher speed is 150-170mph!   90-100mph is cruising speed in a GTR bro!
You think 150-170 is high speeds??? I do that on my daily commute! 150-170 is cruising, 190-193 is high speeds

#15 tyndago Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

tyndago
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
http://www.world-cha...l...79&event=96

Edited by tyndago, 06 May 2010 - 09:40 AM.

#16 tyndago Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

tyndago
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
At Long Beach , in the World Challenge race, there were the Brass Monkey GT-R's in GT Class, and a couple of Lotus Exige(Supercharged) in GTS class.

The race was on TV yesterday, and should be online at http://www.world-challengetv.com/2010/  today some time.

For Qualifying the quick time was a Viper at 1:24.971

The quickest GT-R turned a 1:27.087
The quickest Exige turned a 1:31.457

Both cars on Toyo R888's.  The GT-R's are over  minimum weight(3500 lbs with driver), something they are going to fight all year.  The Exige was around 2100 lbs with driver.

The Exige won the GTS class easily, both the GT-R's dropped out with issues.

#17 forty-two Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

forty-two
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • What is six times nine?

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
This situation lasted about 2 seconds...and occurred several times in a 25 minute session.

nice_appetizer.jpg

2010 GT-R Premium Black Obsidian/Black

Austin/Central Texas GT-R Owners Club link

Posted Image

#18 tyndago Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:12 AM

tyndago
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

View Postforty-two, on May 6 2010, 08:49 AM, said:

This situation lasted about 2 seconds...and occurred several times in a 25 minute session.

Anyone with that much  blue tape on their car, is too worried about rock trips to really drive a car at the track.

Quote that.

"Anti- Blue Tape"

#19 pi-man Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:15 PM

pi-man
  • Supporter
  • OnTrack Maniac

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

View PostPsalm40, on May 5 2010, 06:33 PM, said:

I know how this works. I've actually started using the cruise control pretty often to avoid this. It's way too easy for me to not be paying any attention the the speed.

#20 ShahulX Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

ShahulX
  • Members
  • Who Dat !

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts
Interesting feature on my new vw golf, has a speed warning indicator with a chime if I pass a set mph... Wish we had that lol... I neve pay attention...

The Elise/exige is the total opposite of the gtr in their deliveries... It's a simple car with a tiny chasis,  tiny engine, with no real electronic aids, rwd and a basic 6speed... The gtr is a big behemoth with gadgets galore and trick trannies and awd and attesa etc....

Both cars do amazing things but in a completly different way.... I'd love to have both...

Current car : 2011 Boxster Spyder- (6MT, cf sport buckets, sport chrono, pagid yellows, gt3 brake ducts, fabspeed race) Audi B6 S4 cab (sprint blue), 2010 Highlander Hybrid Limited

Former cars: 2009 NISSAN GTR PREMIUM ( Delivered !! 8/05/08 Ivory Pearl with Black leather )
2010 Evolution X, MK6 VW Gti, Subaru Outback and Forester XT 5mt, evolution 8 gsr, 94 supra, tsx 6mt, 2 preludes, rsx type S, 99 & 01 miatas, ridgeline, passport, integra, 06 accord, 07 crv, 00 eclipse gt

[/b]
[/color]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users