- - - - -

Most Recommended Intercooler Kit?

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

Poll: What Intercooler do you recommend? (845 member(s) have cast votes)

What Intercooler do you recommend?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 descartesfool Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:32 AM

descartesfool
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
How much power is gained from each intercooler over the OEM? For stock cars and for modified cars with higher boost?

How much do the aftermarket intercoolers weigh compared to OEM?

Also seems bad if it blocks airflow to the radiator and causes an increase in water temps, as stated above. Last thing you want for a tracked car. Cooling is all about airflow. It is going to be difficult to make up for lost airflow with a better radiator, assuming the radiator is better in terms of cooling than the OEM. And then how much does the aftermarket radiator add in terms of weight over the OEM one?

#22 Ryan@TopSpeed Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

Ryan@TopSpeed
  • International Vendor
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
We couldn't be happier with the AMS Intercoolers.  They do a great job and are very reasonably priced for the quality of construction.

Ryan Doi
Sales Manager

ryan@topspeedtuned.com
TopSpeedTuned.com
866 / 94 SPEED

#23 gr1 Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:06 PM

gr1
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
we have 2 types of intercooler kits for R35 GTR dual core for stock/upgraded stock turbo set-up and large cross flow intercooler for big turbo upgrade for 800+ power applications.
With the COBB software cross flow set-up can be easily set-up by putting a check mark on the MAF Swap feature. There are no issues on using cross flow intercooler on R35 GTR.

We are offering special deal for NAGTROC member on the Dual Core Type-6 Intercooler kit.
Part# 12020483
MSRP $3200
NAGTROC Member Price $2200 plus shipping (limited Quantity - While supplies lasts)
PM us more details.

http://greddy-gr9.bl...ade-kit_20.html

Posted Image

our other option is:
#12020486 GTR R35 Intercooler Kit SPEC-R HG T-29 Full kit (w/pipe kit and Type-RZ BOV)

Posted Image

http://greddy-usa.bl...ek-for-r35.html

Option part for our Crossflow Intercooler
Optional R35 Type29R Carbon Air Duct
Part #: 12024301
Price: 599.00

Posted Image

#24 domino_z Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:12 PM

domino_z
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
is there any power to gain from the greddy type-6 on an intake/exhaust stock turbo GTR with psi increase via cobb?

when i hit the country roads at night, the throttle response is so much crisper with all that cool air. Would a larger cooler give me that same response, or does it not work that way?

2011 R35 (Aus spec) - 750awhp/600ftlb, FBO E85, WR600 ball bearing turbos, ported/polished oem manifold, Dodson Super Stock clutches + Jacks welded baskets, built and tuned by Willall Racing

#25 AJ PwR Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:17 AM

AJ PwR
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
I have the ARC intercooler and I don't see any power loss on the dyno !

Regardless, they went bankrupt so even anyone wants it, it's no longer available :(

MY09 GTR 526whp on stock boost
Setup by AJR www.aj-racing.com
Tuned by Tim Bailey www.cobbtuning.com

#26 M O N S T E R Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:09 AM

M O N S T E R
  • Members
  • Knowledge is recession proof!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
Greddy parts have always been made with love (especially their intercoolers), they just need to step away from the G series turbos (16G, 18G, 20G, etc) That's old technology. Dual ball bearing turbos with billet wheels are the future my friend.

#27 Forge UK Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:24 AM

Forge UK
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 13 posts

View Postdescartesfool, on Apr 4 2011, 10:32 AM, said:

How much power is gained from each intercooler over the OEM? For stock cars and for modified cars with higher boost?

How much do the aftermarket intercoolers weigh compared to OEM?

Also seems bad if it blocks airflow to the radiator and causes an increase in water temps, as stated above. Last thing you want for a tracked car. Cooling is all about airflow. It is going to be difficult to make up for lost airflow with a better radiator, assuming the radiator is better in terms of cooling than the OEM. And then how much does the aftermarket radiator add in terms of weight over the OEM one?

Taking the system as a whole, i.e. removal and weighing of stock cores, ducting and hardpipes versus the complete Forge kit, there is a saving of 1kg (2.2lbs) - which isnt bad considering the pipes are all 70mm (2.75") so bigger than stock and the intercooler is twice as big.
On the rolling road, we picked up some spool up as the route is more direct, and the pipework is larger diameter lending itself to less of a pressure drop, and some power/torque up top with no other mods. The increases are greater the more the engine is tuned. We've picked up power and torque in all stages of tune though.
Our core resulted in 'as stock' water temps, no effect on cooling at all. We spent a LONG time getting the ducting just right so no air is wasted around the edges of the core - it all goes through the intercooler and radiator.

Edited by Forge UK, 04 May 2011 - 05:25 AM.

#28 Goonthree Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

Goonthree
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts
I am surprised no vendor post any pre-intercooler and after intercooler temperature along with ambient temperature, vehicle speed.  This would show how efficient the intercoolers are vs. Stock or each other.

#29 mikewads Posted 09 May 2011 - 06:38 AM

mikewads
  • Like a BOSS

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

View PostGoonthree, on May 8 2011, 04:37 PM, said:

I am surprised no vendor post any pre-intercooler and after intercooler temperature along with ambient temperature, vehicle speed. This would show how efficient the intercoolers are vs. Stock or each other.

+1

#30 twinvl Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:58 AM

twinvl
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts

View Postgreddy staff, on Apr 20 2011, 10:06 AM, said:

we have 2 types of intercooler kits for R35 GTR dual core for stock/upgraded stock turbo set-up and large cross flow intercooler for big turbo upgrade for 800+ power applications.
With the COBB software cross flow set-up can be easily set-up by putting a check mark on the MAF Swap feature. There are no issues on using cross flow intercooler on R35 GTR.

So how do you fix the turbo balancing when you fit a cross flow IC??
Normally one turbo's compressor feeds the other turbo's turbine balancing the turbo's so one can't run away. When there is only a single boost control valve controlling both turbos it is possible for one turbo (and one bank) to do a lot more work than the other. I would say this is a big issue...

#31 Kristian Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

Kristian
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
HKS is best intercooler option with it's large surface area and dry carbon ducting.

AMS is the beefiest and retains factory ducting, but heaviest.

GReddy XL is best for large turbo and high boost applications. Easiest to install and great with optional carbon ducting kit.

All of these have near perfect fit, HKS of course is priced very high but if you're into getting the best then its the way to go. Just my 2 cents  :helpsmilie:

Tuner / certified warranty void-er 

#32 Kristian Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

Kristian
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

View PostGoonthree, on May 8 2011, 01:37 PM, said:

I am surprised no vendor post any pre-intercooler and after intercooler temperature along with ambient temperature, vehicle speed.  This would show how efficient the intercoolers are vs. Stock or each other.

GReddy has testing info on this with their XL intercooler. Not sure if they ever tested stock. And we will soon have info for the HKS setup, we've installed dual intercooler air temp difference meters on one of the cars.  :helpsmilie:

Tuner / certified warranty void-er 

#33 Goonthree Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:13 PM

Goonthree
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts
Any update on data?

View PostKristian@SPE, on 27 May 2011 - 12:15 PM, said:

GReddy has testing info on this with their XL intercooler. Not sure if they ever tested stock. And we will soon have info for the HKS setup, we've installed dual intercooler air temp difference meters on one of the cars.  :helpsmilie:

#34 domino_z Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:10 AM

domino_z
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
what intercooler is big enough to be able to utilize the esprit bumper insert and see all cooler goodness.........and without having to spend 5k on the esprit

santa has a budget with the gfc

Posted Image

Edited by domino_z, 23 September 2011 - 08:11 AM.

2011 R35 (Aus spec) - 750awhp/600ftlb, FBO E85, WR600 ball bearing turbos, ported/polished oem manifold, Dodson Super Stock clutches + Jacks welded baskets, built and tuned by Willall Racing

#35 Goonthree Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

Goonthree
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,492 posts
I believe GTC will be tall enough but you can't use the duct.

#36 Red Nose Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:22 PM

Red Nose
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
AMS all the way great record time and price

#37 domino_z Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

domino_z
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts
i too like the ams, especially price vs performance

but doesn't tick my aesthetic needs unfortunately

#38 Ben Linney Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

Ben Linney
  • Vendors
  • Serial etuner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

View PostGoonthree, on 24 September 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

I believe GTC will be tall enough but you can't use the duct.

comes with own duct :)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

TITANIUM * CARBON * COOLING * CLUTCH FRICTION * VR38 ENGINE * CALIBRATION * FUEL *

Website - http://www.linneytuning.com

Email - ben@linneytuning.com

Facebook page - https://www.facebook...198875273460388

#39 thewraith Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:16 AM

thewraith
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
HOLY $HIT. Did a vendor just post a price of $3200 for an effin intercooler? Are you KIDDING ME?  What's the difference between this and the HUGE intercoolers you buy for supras and dsm's? They cost maximum $500 for the entire kit. Don't even tell me market research and limited production/tooling.

GEEZUS.

#40 Tony1 Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

Tony1
  • Vendors
  • T1 Race Development

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
The only intercooler kit you're going to get for $500 is a piece of shit ebay intercooler.  There IS a difference in quality and performance with different intercooler cores.   On top of that, a GTR intercooler is like two Supra intercoolers in terms of fabrication since there's 4 tanks.  Build a high quality GTR intercooler and then see if you'd sell it for $500.  I can assure you that you couldn't, especially seeing as how you'd pay more than that for just the core.

T1 Race Development
Injector Dynamics
214-607-9022
Tony@t1racedevelopment.com

Building GTR's and supplying injectors, one day at a time...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users