17 replies to this topic

#1 Phusion974 Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Phusion974
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
Hey guys,
I currently own a C63 AMG and I'm really leaning towards a GT-R next, only thing that's holding me back is all the transmission/warranty horror stories I've been hearing about.
Since signing on to NAGTROC ive been seeing alot of threads about transmission malfunction, random CEL, car going into limp mode, etc......
So I ask you guys, are GT-R's and they're transmissions really that sensitive and problematic?

Also, If I do decide on a GT-R I'm only planing on lightly modding it with mids and cat back. (maybe suspension and wheels also) will this cause any issue with warranty?

-Thank you in advance.

Edited by Phusion974, 26 November 2011 - 01:36 AM.

C63 AMG

#2 LuckyEff Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

LuckyEff
  • Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
You arent gonna get a straight for the questions above.

Mods do not necessarily void warranty. It's upto the dealer and Nissan HQ.

Yes the tranny is troublesome.

Toyota Prado

Mercedes S 400
HYBRID

#3 shawnhayes Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

shawnhayes
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts
Many of us have had no problems, despite whipping on the vehicle HARD.  Those of us who have had problems, Nissan has dealt MOSTLY fairly.  The ones who they haven't have generally have more than one modification that COULD have been a contributing factor.  The mods you are considering will not cause a problem.  We hope you'll join us in our little community.

Shawn

#4 jaspergtr Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:15 AM

jaspergtr
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,470 posts
Anything past the cats are fine.

If you're planning on getting a catback system, no problem (or just a midpipe, either way)...

Wheels - no problem.  You should not worry about the trans warranty.

GTM Street Mid-pipe
AP slotted rotors (Fr)
Cosworth Trackmaster Pads
SFS Matte CF Wing
Rexpeed Front Lip
Sundown 8" SA-8 Sub w/JBL Amp

#5 jonnyt5050 Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

jonnyt5050
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 788 posts
For what it's worth, I've got a 2009 with 22k+ miles with a handful of track days and probably 10 autocrosses.  No transmission issues at all.

2009 SuperSilver

Mods
====
Power: Greddy Ti 80mm exhaust, HKS Resonated Midpipe, Greddy Type 6 FMIC, HKS Intercooler Pipes, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS EVC 6, Jotech tune (496 awhp w/91 Octane)
Cooling: HKS DCT Cooler, Boost Logic Oil Cooler, Spec-V coolant tank, Evans NPG+ Fluid
Handling: Stillen Swaybars, JRZ RS Pro Silents (750lb/600lb)
Braking: AP J-Hook rotors, Forged Perf. SS brake lines, Endless MX72 pads
Wheels: Street: 20" Rays RGT57 Gram Lights w/Dunlop All-season / Track: 19" Volk RE30s w/Toyo R888s
Track accessories: Bell GT2 helmet, Moonface towhook, GoPro HD camera, Harry's Laptimer iPhone App, Sparco 4 point harness

#6 gunnh Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:15 AM

gunnh
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
I was a GT-R enthusiast until my super great transmission went kaput this Thursday.
Seriously, now I may want to tell you just pass a GT-R and get like a Porsche 991, a car that you don't have to worry about.
I know I can get my car fixed sooner or later anyway though the transmission issue is just BS big time.

#7 BTurgidson Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

BTurgidson
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
The transmissions do appear to be the weak link with this car. My car had the transmission changed out at 7500 miles. It has almost 20K on it now and I have had no issues since, but then again it is used only as a DD. Since there have been a number of 2012 that have required a tranny swap, it appears that Nissan has done little if anything to address the GR6's weaknesses.

In my opinion, the transmission would not be that much of an issue if Nissan would train and allow the local dealerships to repair them.  However, they have elected not to do so. Doesn't seem to make a lot of economic sense to swap a $20K transmission out for a $5 seal failure. There are a number of shops that have developed the ability to repair them, and upgrade them with after market parts that address many of the GR6 weaknesses, but it is not cheap. It is however cheaper than paying out of pocket for a new tranny from Nissan after they void your warranty for any number of reasons.

Edited by BTurgidson, 26 November 2011 - 03:11 PM.

2010 GT1R Series 3+

#8 REK125 Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

REK125
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
The GR6 remains the Achilles heel of what is otherwise a great car. I sold my lightly modded 2009 with 18K miles to avoid this issue. If I jump back into a 2013 I plan to keep it stock. If you reflash you must assume that warranty coverage will be problematic.

Edited by REK125, 26 November 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#9 Phusion974 Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Phusion974
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
I appreciate all the help guys.
Figured it would be best to get answers straight from GT-R owners.

C63 AMG

#10 venkatreddytx Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

venkatreddytx
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
New transmission from Nissan used to be 20K, new price 11K at least they dropped the price.

Porsche 997TT Protomotive E85 Tuned 560WHP/572WTQ on Jotech Dyno
Nissan GTR Jotech E85 Tuned 570WHP/613WTQ on Jotech Dyno
Catless DP/MP/Greddy Ti-Exhaust, Akuma 3" BM intake, Cobb AP w/TCM
ID1000 Injectors, HKS Fuel Pumps, HKS Plugs , TurboSmart BOV's
Goodridge Phantom Lines, DPE S20 20" Wheels, 2012 in-let pipes

#11 BTurgidson Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

BTurgidson
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

View Postvenkatreddytx, on 27 November 2011 - 12:27 PM, said:

New transmission from Nissan used to be 20K, new price 11K at least they dropped the price.
That is good news, but I think I would rather spend the $11K for a rebuild/upgrade than another stock unit.

2010 GT1R Series 3+

#12 venkatreddytx Posted 27 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

venkatreddytx
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

View PostBTurgidson, on 27 November 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

That is good news, but I think I would rather spend the $11K for a rebuild/upgrade than another stock unit.
+1 to that

Porsche 997TT Protomotive E85 Tuned 560WHP/572WTQ on Jotech Dyno
Nissan GTR Jotech E85 Tuned 570WHP/613WTQ on Jotech Dyno
Catless DP/MP/Greddy Ti-Exhaust, Akuma 3" BM intake, Cobb AP w/TCM
ID1000 Injectors, HKS Fuel Pumps, HKS Plugs , TurboSmart BOV's
Goodridge Phantom Lines, DPE S20 20" Wheels, 2012 in-let pipes

#13 soontobGTR Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

soontobGTR
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts
I was under the impression that the bugs were ridden from the tranny's for the most part. Many people don't get their warranty honored when they tune the ECU.

"When you want to succeed, as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" - Eric Thomas

#14 Sharif@Forged Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

Sharif@Forged
  • Premier International Vendor
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,394 posts
Transmission issues are still fairly rare, and the current state of matters allows us to repair, enhance to better than OEM shape for far less than many people thing. I don't consider this a major hurdle anymore.  Back in 2008, all it took was one trans code/issue to garbage bin the entire $20K transmission.  Those days are long gone, thankfully.

Posted Image

Sharif Abdelbaset | GM | Calibrator | Driving Instructor
Sharif@ForgedPerformance.com
498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta GA 30060
Forged Performance will meet or beat any competitors pricing!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Phusion974 Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:58 AM

Phusion974
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts

View PostSharif@Forged, on 28 November 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Transmission issues are still fairly rare, and the current state of matters allows us to repair, enhance to better than OEM shape for far less than many people thing. I don't consider this a major hurdle anymore.  Back in 2008, all it took was one trans code/issue to garbage bin the entire $20K transmission.  Those days are long gone, thankfully.

Thanks for the input.
Are the 2009 GT-R's more prone to transmission malfunction?

C63 AMG

#16 REK125 Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

REK125
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

View PostPhusion974, on 29 November 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

Thanks for the input.

There may be a number of factors in play here.  One possibility is that the 2009s are in fact more prone to failure than more recent years. A second factor was the use of LC1. This created a fair amount of wheel hop and was a fairly brutal launch at 4,500 rpm. Finally the 2009s may seem to be more prone but it may just be that they have been around longer and the average 2009 car has accumulated more miles and stress than the newer models. Time will tell.

#17 jchris Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

jchris
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

View PostSharif@Forged, on 28 November 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Sharif,

Do you mind going into a little more detail about repairing and enhancing the transmission (prices, ect)?   My plan was to begin my search for a 2011 or 2012 early next year and I'm really on the fence as well.  I live on the west coast and most all of the transmission guys are on the opposite side of me.

Thanks

#18 Sharif@Forged Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Sharif@Forged
  • Premier International Vendor
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,394 posts

View PostPhusion974, on 29 November 2011 - 03:58 AM, said:

Thanks for the input.
I would not say that is the case.  09-11 GT-R's have experienced same types of issues.

View Postjchris, on 29 November 2011 - 09:07 AM, said:

Sharif,

Do you mind going into a little more detail about repairing and enhancing the transmission (prices, ect)?   My plan was to begin my search for a 2011 or 2012 early next year and I'm really on the fence as well.  I live on the west coast and most all of the transmission guys are on the opposite side of me.

Thanks
Yes, I will have Ryan chime in with our preventative packag programs.  I was on the dyno the entire day, and it's almost midnight. :)

Posted Image

Sharif Abdelbaset | GM | Calibrator | Driving Instructor
Sharif@ForgedPerformance.com
498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta GA 30060
Forged Performance will meet or beat any competitors pricing!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users