Next generation Honda NSX

113 replies to this topic

#21 aaronnsx Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

aaronnsx
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 45 posts
Wrong about it not being like the Avengers set car, Acura invited the dealers from N.America to see the mock ups for the new NSX and it is reportedly VERY SIMILAR to the Tony Stark car. It will supposedly house a 3.7L engine with 2 electric motors driving the front wheels and the 6 cylinder powering the rears. It will also have Acura's SHAWD and will put out close to 550 hp. The engineers want it to be faster than the current GTR and they know what the GTR has to offer so it makes it that much easier to design from an engineering point of view.

"will honda release an NSX? yes, but when and will it be a supercar? no it will not be a supercar but it will be plenty fast, it will be EV or hybrid and it will be able to corner very well like the prior car..."

I'm not sure why anyone would expect the new NSX to be any less a supercar than the GTR? I would like the person who posted this to clarify what a "supercar" is because they obviously haven't put much thought into that statement.

#22 aaronnsx Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

aaronnsx
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 45 posts
BTW, the new NSX is due to be unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show next month, so we can finally see once and for all what they have come up with....

#23 MindlessOath Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

MindlessOath
  • Supporter
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts
Well Honda denied it first off... If they lied that's on them. Secound off Honda said they were not going to make a supercar and many reports said it was going to be more or less a fast sports car. On many occasions it was said that the mules on the ring came no where near the gtr times. Even by friend I know that took pictures of it on the ring long time ago.

Just saying that there is nothing in the press about what your saying.

if the avengers car is it its massively ugly but a good size to be a fast sports car.  Gtr fast is yet to be seen. Honda doesn't make me happy at all and they need to do a lot to make me want to buy anything they make. I don't see them on the right path but who knows. I can only hope it will be awesome like the original nsx was and this new car proves itself. Still won't make me buy any acura/Honda tho.

#24 MC Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,170 posts
http://www.insidelin...-auto-show.html

#25 MindlessOath Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

MindlessOath
  • Supporter
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts
Too bad its going to be butt ugly.
http://www.autonews....5&template=art4
Posted Image
or
Posted Image

Wish it would look more like this - http://www.image.mot...arters-view.jpg

The 2nd link I posted looks better than the first and better than the avengers car. They really need a new design. Why wouod I buy any acura over a lexus/infinity etc? And taking the nsx to this ugly place doesn't help. On top of that fans (not myself) are up in arms about hybrid and 4wd lol. So they will rely heavily on performance numbers and since this will be a prototype looks will most likly be updated or made more bland once production hits. Few more weeks and well see the final and maybe the design will grow on me/others. if it looks anything like the avengers car (<-other pics of the avengers car) it will not grow on me at all, however the above scetch has potential.

I don't let bad movies sway my opinions either. I did enjoy iron man 1 but it wasnt good enough for me to watch again (I'm a really harsh movie critic).

here is more info from what was said about the new CONCEPT - http://vtec.net/news...item_id=1020643

NSX (Concept)
Alongside the flagship, a new "super sports car" shares the role as the range topper for Acura. Acura didn't officially call it the NSX during their presentation, but everybody we spoke with following the presentation said it was indeed the NSX successor. I took that as good news. UPDATE: In their press release released this morning, Acura is calling it the "NSX Concept". Some text below is updated to reflect that.

Acura showed us the actual NSX Concept which will be revealed in Detroit next month. Unfortunately there was no photography allowed, but I can tell you that this will be one of the biggest reveals for Acura in recent history. Basically this is the car that was spied on the "Avengers" set late in the Summer, but it's clearly been further developed and it's also in hard-top form. Finished in a sliver paint, the concept is absolutely stunning, and carries on the NSX tradition of a mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout. The design is muscular, futuristic, and sharp, and vaguely similar to the Audi R8.

Compared to the "Avengers" car, the front end on this concept actually has working LED headlights - there are 5 "squircle" projectors embedded within each headlight housing. The rear bumper is also virtually identical to the "Avengers" car but with a real roof and backlight and more "production-looking" taillights, the overall visage is considerably different. Like the "flagship", the exhaust finishers are integrated into the bumper. A really cool (but not necessarily original) styling element is the "flying buttress" C-pillars. The C-pillars feature a "pass-through" which appears to be designed to channel air smoothly around the cockpit and over the rear of the vehicle. It's like an elongated version of the flying buttress seen on the Ferrari 599 - the NSX has a much faster angle on the backlight, which naturally lengthens the C-pillar. The gap between the C-pillar and the glass is fairly narrow, however. For the record, this concept wore Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 255/35ZR19 size up front, and 275/30ZR20s in the rear.

Acura wouldn't tell us anything about the engine or powertrain, but off the record they were quick to tell us that the announced Electric SH-AWD system with 3.5L DI V6 was clearly not potent enough for this car. It should be noted that THAT powertrain, with its 7-speed dual clutch gearbox and 3 electric motors, develops a peak output in the neighborhood of 400hp. Obviously with the MR layout, Honda has to engineer a very specific setup for this car, and we're assuming it will essentially be a reversed layout compared to the FF-oriented design which was revealed previously.

We are hopeful that it will receive a very special high output, high revving gasoline engine that is fitting of the NSX heritage, while leveraging the electric motors and onboard battery to deliver on the "smart luxury" promise of excellent fuel economy. Acura told us that they would be releasing more information and details about this car at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show.

even this render would be worlds better - http://autoten.com/w...-NSX-render.jpg
also it was noted that this new car would be a "super sports car"... thats like saying its not a supercar but it will be very fast. with around 400hp, the weight of a hybrid components and amazing handling it will be a super sporty car.

EDIT: i guess you have to pay for this, so here is a copy paste of it: http://www.autoweek....RNEWS/111219999

Then there is the NSX that arrives in concept form next month in Detroit. The original V6-powered NSX was decked out with astonishing technology when it debuted in 1990. It was the first car without turbos to deliver 100 hp per liter of engine displacement. It also was the first major project for body engineer Takanobu Ito, now Honda's CEO.
Ito killed a previous NSX concept after the autumn 2008 Lehman Brothers meltdown destroyed Honda's desire to re-enter the segment. The project has been revived, but Ito has changed the concept.
"Our approach is efficiency and a strong power-to-weight ratio," said Acura sales boss Jeff Conrad. "The original NSX did this. But the proposed successor went into the classic world of a heavy vehicle, requiring a V10 engine and other technologies to be a performance car."
Conrad adds: "That is not Acura DNA. If we are thinking about being sporty, we need to do it with the machine's efficiency. That's the thing we can do. The way we achieve it will be unique to Acura."
In addition to the NSX's compact V6, the lithium ion battery-powered Sport Hybrid All-Wheel Drive system uses two integrated drive units at the rear wheels connected to a motor-generator that delivers power.
Regenerative brakes will capture electricity and deliver torque to the outside wheel--while absorbing negative torque from the inside wheel--as the car goes through a corner.
American Honda President Tetsuo Iwamura did not set a date for the NSX's launch, saying: "We hope within three years. ... As soon as possible."
Too much machine
Despite the NSX's go-fast ambitions, a major part of Acura's new philosophy will be dialing back on performance in exchange for fuel economy. Executives say that today's luxury cars have more power than they need, and that premium-vehicle buyers now care more about mpg than mph.
Conrad said Acura has returned to its original philosophy of elegant engineering and top-of-class fuel economy, and has stopped chasing the elite of the luxury segment. The new slogan: "Smart luxury."
Mike Accavitti, the former head of Dodge who became American Honda's vice president of marketing in August, describes the current luxury market as "too much machine and not enough humanity."
Said Accavitti: "Our overweight bodies require overweight engines and more safety systems to protect them. Some of these cars the average driver just can't control. We have been increasing performance beyond the ability of the driver, or we have complicated the driving process."
Poponi said of Acura's previous batch of products: "Our engineering ego was getting in the way."
Peaks and valleys
American Honda hopes this philosophy can stabilize Acura's sales, which have peaked twice--once in the early 1990s and again in setting a brand record in 2005, at 209,610 units. But each time things fell apart because of ill-conceived products and faulty marketing--not to mention the recent recession. This year, sales through November were down 7 percent to 110,170. Honda says short supplies caused by the March earthquake in Japan were a factor.
For a new crop of customers, Honda is looking at Generation Y. The leading edge of that generation is turning 30, and Honda says the generation's top priorities are exterior styling, price and environmental friendliness.
"A good sound system" finished fifth in its research, and less than 20 percent care about high performance, Honda says.
"Technology is only as good as the driver," said Gary Evert, division director for advanced automotive planning at Acura r&d. "The vehicle almost always has more capability than the driver can handle. Anything outside the customer's understanding is waste."

Attached Thumbnails

• AR-111219999.jpg
  • 2015-Acura-NSX-Conceptual-Rendering-front-view.jpg

Edited by MindlessOath, 12 December 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#26 Monaco Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:20 PM

Monaco
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
Honda/Acura has so much potential as a brand.  I don't know what happened to them.  1st thing on order should be a new designer.  Secondly, they need someone that understands what enthusiasts of the brand are and have been looking for and the current automotive landscape.  There is no way the NSX successor would be accepted with an engine up front and an AWD drivetrain.  Why can't Honda get a grasp of this?

#27 Roll Cancel Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:48 PM

Roll Cancel
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 460 posts

LAS VEGAS — Let the speculation end now: Acura at long last plans to unveil a prototype of its long-awaited next-generation NSX supercar in just four weeks at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show.

Some quick highlights on the 2013 NSX, shared with us by Acura executives:

- It will be a midengine two-seater, like the original.
- Unlike the earlier NSX, the new Acura performance flagship will feature a V6 hybrid powertrain.
- The new NSX will be similar in proportion to the original car, but with more aggressive styling.

The next-generation NSX is expected to share Honda's new SH-AWD hybrid system with the 2013 successor to the Acura RL sedan. The system mates a high-output V6 engine with a pair of electric motors and a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. Honda says the V6 hybrid system, which drives all four wheels, will provide "acceleration equivalent to V8 engines," with the fuel economy of a four-cylinder.

The NSX prototype that will be shown in Detroit will be an exterior design "buck" only, with no interior. It will ride on five-spoke alloy rims shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires — 255/35ZR19 front and 275/30ZR20 rear.

The front end of the new car resembles that of the movie car Acura built for the new Avengers movie currently in production. The prototype features a low nose, low cowl and thin A-pillars, much like the original NSX, but is wider, with edgier styling.

Honda's ground-breaking, midengine NSX was built from 1990-2005 and sold in the U.S. under the Acura brand. In 2008, the company killed a proposed front-engine V10 four-wheel-drive supercoupe, ostensibly to rival Lexus' LFA, but a racing version with a 3.4-liter V8, carbon-fiber chassis and rear-wheel drive survived as the HSV-010, winning Japan's Super GT series championship in 2010.

Inside Line says: We would have preferred a V8 hybrid — but will withhold judgment until we put the V6 through its paces.

#28 Roll Cancel Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Roll Cancel
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 460 posts

The 2nd link I posted looks better than the first and better than the avengers car. They really need a new design.

I gotta agree with you on that too, MindlessOath. I read somewhere today (gonna grab the link later) that it'll "resemble" the avengers car, but it won't have that open top thingamajig. Im partial to the looks on the GT-R, but honestly, it grew on me. Especially the 2012 facelift. I can see the 2nd pic of that NSX growing on me real fast if it comes close to it.

#29 Roll Cancel Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:10 AM

Roll Cancel
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 460 posts
If the next generation NSX can at least perform just as well as the 2012 GTR, I would give Honda the golf clap.

It's gonna be a long four weeks for me. I can't wait for the Detroit Auto show.

Edited by Roll Cancel, 13 December 2011 - 02:10 AM.

#30 midlandgtr Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:20 AM

midlandgtr
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 463 posts
huge acura fan, my first car out of college was a 89 legend coupe.  when they got rid of the legend name it went down hill.  looks like they may revive the name and do a new NSX wonder if i can afford both of them and my GTR?

2014 Ford Raptor Special Edition Ruby Red (daily driver), 2012 MB GL450 (wife's), 2012 Nissan GTR (weekend toy), 2008 AMG S65 (my land jet), 2005 Club Cart (the other weekend toy)

#31 mrmajik2 Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

mrmajik2
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
When was the last good looking new Honda/Acura?  They've been missing in terms of design for over 10 years now.

#32 soontobGTR Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

soontobGTR
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
All they need to do is make it identical to this design and call it a day!
Posted Image

"When you want to succeed, as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful" - Eric Thomas

#33 mrmajik2 Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

mrmajik2
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

View PostsoontobGTR, on 13 December 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

All they need to do is make it identical to this design and call it a day!
Posted Image
That would actually be attractive, so we can surely count against it with Honda.

#34 hkpooh Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

hkpooh
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
the standard set by the GTR is just so damn high, is not easy to have these childhood hero reborn with a reasonable price tag.
I guess it could be easily at $150k+

#35 MindlessOath Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

MindlessOath
  • Supporter
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts
Honda has been testing zr1, gtr etc on there race tracks to gather data. That's all we know. This new project for honda started recently so its very new and tthey want to release ASAP like 2014 which no one knows if that will happen. Price will be competitive with these cars but more than likly will be too late to market and people would rather have a zr1 or a gtr.

#36 aaronnsx Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:41 PM

aaronnsx
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 45 posts

View PostMindlessOath, on 13 December 2011 - 05:54 PM, said:

Honda has been testing zr1, gtr etc on there race tracks to gather data. That's all we know. This new project for honda started recently so its very new and tthey want to release ASAP like 2014 which no one knows if that will happen. Price will be competitive with these cars but more than likly will be too late to market and people would rather have a zr1 or a gtr.

Why would people want a ZR1, an old washed up design thats going on 5 years? The GTR is undoubtably a good car but the new NSX will have enhancements on the GTR, and likely will not have the high vehicle weight, noisy shifting and bad brakes we hear the GTR is notorious for. Plus from the rumors it will have crazy gas mileage, something to think about as things start to get crazy again in the middle east. Wait until Jan. 9th for the Detroit Auto Show when the new NSX goes on display and we will see once and for all what Acura is going to be giving us.

#37 MC Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,170 posts

The Honda NSX supercar is set to return as a 400bhp four-wheel-drive hybrid. Honda has already confirmed that a new NSX will be revealed at the Detroit Motor Show in January, and now we have more information on the Japanese Audi R8 rival.

We’ve already seen spy shots of a concept car on the set of thenew Avengers movie, and we’ve since had confirmation that the Detroit show car will be heavily based on that model. Our images show a coupe, but the final production version will also be offered as a roadster.

The concept will be shown as an Acura – the firm’sluxuryNorth American arm – but it will be badged as a Honda when it arrives in the UK, and retain its forebear’s NSX name. Power will come from a 3.5-litre V6 driving one axle and a pair of in-wheel electric motors to turn the other. This will give the NSX four-wheel-drive traction and 400bhp-plus. Performance will be impressive, with 0-62mph taking under five seconds.

Read more:http://www.autoexpre...l#ixzz1iHUadFxN

Posted Image

Posted Image

#38 MindlessOath Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

MindlessOath
  • Supporter
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts
Is it a mazda?

#39 perfection Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:21 AM

perfection
  • Banned
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 47 posts
for me best looking nsx ever is this. very sad that not gonna be finished like this.

Attached Thumbnails

• 372217.jpg

#40 the King Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:01 AM

the King
  • Members
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
Nice styling cues from last NSX but still very conservative-as has been Honda's styling for a while now

Tommi Makinen Edition aka Evolution 6.5: full GSR trim, Coilovers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users