How to I bring an R34 GT-T from Japan to New York Legally?

Shipping R34 GT-R GT-T Japan New York New York How Indiana

51 replies to this topic

#21 danox574 Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

danox574
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
It's important to make the huge distinction between the R34 GTR and other trim levels. GTRs are far rarer and very different cars. Sadly, a R34 GTT + RB26 does not really approach what the R34 GTR is.

Unfortunately, too many people like the OP simply surf the net until they find one person who says that they can do it for them, and then they move straight away into making mistakes. It's almost like denial - if people spent as much time reading the import laws as they do surfing the web looking for some anonymous forum poster to tell them it's legal, they'd understand a lot. You can see them get the straight dope from experts, with attached links and supporting data, and move on to talk about the loophole they heard about.

As far as downtime, most tuned cars are off the road most of the time. I wouldn't consider the web stories that you read about tuner R34s sitting under the knife or broken all the time representative of the build or quality of the car. I think it reflects more on what's been done and that there are a significant number of tuners that don't really know what they are doing. I can tell you that the R34 GTR is a superb car when it hasn't been messed up. Most in the states have.

And by the way - If you think being a Motorex owner is fun, imagine being told by every single person you've ever met that you overpaid and in Japan, they issue free Skyline GTRs to school children and they can be purchased, in mint condition, with no miles, and free lifetime gas cards for $50. Don't forget, their neighbors here in the USA, on either side of them, own one (each making over 1000HP), and their uncle just legally imported an R34 and is giving them their R33 because they are bored with it (after being tuned to 1200HP). Their friend in the Army will be putting several Skyline GTRs in their backpacks and bringing them home. Furthermore, R34 GTRs are like Mustangs, in Japan -- you can't walk 50 feet without seeing one.

In reality, they are damn expensive and relatively low production -- more blue Mustangs were made in 2006 than the entire run of R34 GTRs over four years.

With a little over 11,000 R34 GTRs in the entire world, some totaled, and many exported around the world, I hope you all have cars left to import by the 15 year mark in Canada or 25 here in the USA. But I have a bad feeling about that. Just watching the auctions you can see that R34 GTR prices are on the rise -- especially for very original cars.

Edited by danox574, 20 January 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#22 TomG37 Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

TomG37
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

View Postdanox574, on 20 January 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

And by the way - If you think being a Motorex owner is fun, imagine being told by every single person you've ever met that you overpaid and in Japan, they issue free Skyline GTRs to school children and they can be purchased, in mint condition, with no miles, and free lifetime gas cards for $50. Don't forget, their neighbors here in the USA, on either side of them, own one (each making over 1000HP), and their uncle just legally imported an R34 and is giving them their R33 because they are bored with it (after being tuned to 1200HP). Their friend in the Army will be putting several Skyline GTRs in their backpacks and bringing them home. Furthermore, R34 GTRs are like Mustangs, in Japan -- you can't walk 50 feet without seeing one.

That made me LOL, but is 100% true.

When a friend of mine had a R34 GTT every meet or show we went to would turn into stories like that. Everyone's "boy" had one, but there's was always faster, and they paid way less. It was amazing how much attention the car got, but dealing with people like that was really annoying. I get the same feeling when people laugh and tell me I shouldn't have bought a sports car with an automatic transmission, I should have paid extra for the manual.

2012 DBA-R35 GMG GTR Premium.

#23 Marketplace Mod Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

Marketplace Mod
  • Site Moderator
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

View Postseanm@stillen.com, on 20 January 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

If someone wanted to import an actual race car, it can be done. However, a "car you race" is not a race car. It has to have race history, built as a race car, and you have to show proof that you are going to race it in the US. If you don't have all this stuff, don't waste your time.

That said, legally a road going BNR34 GT-R can not be imported into the USA until 2024.

Posted Image

They see me rollin they hatin.

#24 triggaZ Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

triggaZ
  • Members
  • Go faster

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I doubt the OP is still reading this.

#25 seanm Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

seanm
  • Members
  • GTR Nerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

It's almost like denial - if people spent as much time reading the import laws as they do surfing the web looking for some anonymous forum poster to tell them it's legal, they'd understand a lot. You can see them get the straight dope from experts, with attached links and supporting data, and move on to talk about the loophole they heard about.

It is. I guess its human nature. People always want the "easy" way out.  The diet with no exercise, or the get rich quick scheme. People fall for it all the time, they buy into anything that sounds easy.

I give people lots of advice, give them the straight answers, and then I still see them end up getting scammed.  For me, I wonder why I even waste my time.  Some days, I just delete the emails instead of bothering with people that really don't want to know the truth. http://vehicleimport...tscom-scam.html

With a little over 11,000 R34 GTRs in the entire world, some totaled, and many exported around the world, I hope you all have cars left to import by the 15 year mark in Canada or 25 here in the USA. But I have a bad feeling about that. Just watching the auctions you can see that R34 GTR prices are on the rise -- especially for very original cars.

I saw some of the UK guys were talking prices of R34's recently. Low mileage nice R34's, from what I saw were in the 5 million yen range ~$60k+US.

Sean Morris

#26 MindlessOath Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

MindlessOath
  • Supporter
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,284 posts
can we sticky this thread... this comes up so often its not even funny and this sticked would resolve at least some of those posts.

#27 LuckyEff Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

LuckyEff
  • Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
Let me guess, OP are you a teenager?

Toyota Prado

Mercedes S 400
HYBRID

#28 triggaZ Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

triggaZ
  • Members
  • Go faster

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
^^^
LOL. Don't be a troll, mate.

Enthusiasm isn't always a sign of youth. Naive people are of all ages.

#29 Dujuruprincipe808 Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

Dujuruprincipe808
  • Members
  • Target Locked!

• Pip
  • 34 posts
I am actually stationed in Japan now.  R32s R33s and R34s are a dime a dozen here but mostly the GT-S/GT-T.  GTRs are still pretty rare and expensive.  A decent R34 GTR can cost 20k easy.  This topic comes up all the time here.  Guys go out and buy Skylines and try to ship them back to the states. It never happens... A more common thing is shipping the motor and parts via TMO.  An old friend took 2 3SGE (Altezza) motors when he moved back to the states no problem.

#30 jerrym Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

jerrym
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 153 posts

It's important to make the huge distinction between the R34 GTR and other trim levels. GTRs are far rarer and very different cars. Sadly, a R34 GTT + RB26 does not really approach what the R34 GTR is.

Unfortunately, too many people like the OP simply surf the net until they find one person who says that they can do it for them, and then they move straight away into making mistakes. It's almost like denial - if people spent as much time reading the import laws as they do surfing the web looking for some anonymous forum poster to tell them it's legal, they'd understand a lot. You can see them get the straight dope from experts, with attached links and supporting data, and move on to talk about the loophole they heard about.

As far as downtime, most tuned cars are off the road most of the time. I wouldn't consider the web stories that you read about tuner R34s sitting under the knife or broken all the time representative of the build or quality of the car. I think it reflects more on what's been done and that there are a significant number of tuners that don't really know what they are doing. I can tell you that the R34 GTR is a superb car when it hasn't been messed up. Most in the states have.

In reality, they are damn expensive and relatively low production -- more blue Mustangs were made in 2006 than the entire run of R34 GTRs over four years.

hi danox :) how's the 34?

Current:
1994 Nissan R32 GTR ( SP Tuned )
2009 Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

"After a certain point, money is meaningless. It ceases to be the goal. The game is what counts" -Aristotle

#31 BPAuto2 Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

BPAuto2
  • Premier International Vendor
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts

Spot on!!  In Japan, an R34 GT-R in good condition can fetch the same price as a used R35 right now.  The price for R32s and R33s in really good shape is up there too; $20K for R32s and $30K for R33s.  Remember, low production car, built and sold in a country with high humidity and winter weather = rusted out bodies + quite a few that have been exported or crashed = fewer available for sale = higher prices.

Dan, how's your car been doing by the way?  Have you mopped up the trophies at any car shows lately?

Posted Image

...[a Bespoke Venture]...
t. 213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines... Add us on Facebook!

Please check out our exclusive price-match tool HERE that not only matches the competition, but gives you a 2% return just for using it.

#32 danox574 Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:14 PM

danox574
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
The car is all good guys, thanks for asking.  Just trying to take care of it and trying to decide what to do with this now.  Couldn't really find a car that met the requirements I discussed with you last year, so I needed something to do.

Posted Image

As it turns out, they started Kouki production on this car is 10/85 so we are just a few months into being able to legally import the kouki Trueno to the USA.

To all prospective RB Skyline owners in the US -- read read read!  And read some more!  And read the laws.  Because no matter how much you pay or whatever you are promised, if you don't follow the rules, you will lose your money, time, and car.

#33 wasuber Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

wasuber
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 32 posts
sweet ride Dan!

#34 Santorican Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Santorican
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,256 posts
My girlfriend's boss just bought a blue R32. I want one real bad.

Posted Image

#35 diesel350 Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

diesel350
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts
Just remember 49 state only, California will not accept the exemption unless its a historical vehicle. If you want to get it Emissions tested legal for California will cost you an extra 10k to start :).

#36 seanm Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

seanm
  • Members
  • GTR Nerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

View Postdiesel350, on 13 March 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Just remember 49 state only, California will not accept the exemption unless its a historical vehicle. If you want to get it Emissions tested legal for California will cost you an extra 10k to start :).

Older than 1976 is smog exempt.

Sean Morris

#37 invadermoose Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

invadermoose
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 49 posts
Okay, not that this is really practical, but in theory what is stopped someone from having a person in japan totally strip an R34 GTR, ship it piece by piece to the USA, and then reassembling it? Of course you couldnt get it insured or anything, but you'd have an R34 GTR. I haven't read a single thing about import laws, by the way.

#38 scottryana Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:33 PM

scottryana
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
I would think like Sean was saying earlier, there are several ways to do it illegally, I think that would fall under that type of import.  You could strip it and 1/2 cut it and then send the parts to the US in different shipments, the buyer could stich the car back together.

#39 dut Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

dut
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

View Postinvadermoose, on 23 May 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Okay, not that this is really practical, but in theory what is stopped someone from having a person in japan totally strip an R34 GTR, ship it piece by piece to the USA, and then reassembling it? Of course you couldnt get it insured or anything, but you'd have an R34 GTR. I haven't read a single thing about import laws, by the way.

That's how all these RHD cars are sneaked into the U.S. The car would be in the container in pieces so it looks like "parts" and not a complete rolling/functioning vehicle.

Edited by dut, 23 May 2012 - 01:45 PM.

Posted Image

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DBA Front-End Conversion | KW V3 Coilovers | GTC Inlet Pipes | 3" GotBoost Intakes | GotBoost SD Conversion Kit | SIR 1150cc Injectors | SIR Fuel Pumps | HKS BOVs | Titek Downpipes | AAM Resonated Midpipe | HKS Legamax Exhaust | Cobb AP 006

Speed Density E85 Tune By Ben Linney
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#40 seanm Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

seanm
  • Members
  • GTR Nerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

View Postinvadermoose, on 23 May 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Its called the EPA.  Its called evading the Clean Air Act.   That would be a federal offense.

The last guy that tried to do something like this.  http://www.gtrusablo...ch/label/Kaizo/

and this - http://vehicleimport...ets-seized.html

Edited by seanm@stillen.com, 23 May 2012 - 02:17 PM.

Sean Morris

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users