36 replies to this topic

#1 w00tw00t Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

w00tw00t
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 470 posts
hey everyone!

I’m not sure if anyone remembers my thread about being an M3 owner wanting to switch to a GTR from a few months ago.

Well, I was originally hoping to buy a 2012/13 GTR but I just couldn’t wrap my head around the high MSRP and finally decided to start looking in the used GTR market.

Yesterday, my long standing dream came true when I drove home a 2010 GTR!! I thought I’d post a small write up comparison of my GTR day-one experience vs my E92 M3

Power, Engine
Okay, coming from my E92 M3, I can only describe the power and torque as absolutely, mind blowingly ferocious, incredible, like a jet engine...  I was absolutely blown away. My M3 had a few power upgrades (full exhaust, pulley, stage II tune) but the stock GTR in from another planet! Oh my god, I can’t believe how much fun it is. A step on the throttle and it feels like I just engaged warp 9! I cannot imagine what you guys with tuned GTRs / 2012-13 GTRs must have .. I won’t get a tune though because I don’t want to screw my warranty.
In the sound department, I’ll admit I missed the V8 roar (especially with my Akrapovic Evo system) but I really enjoyed the V6TT scream – I am assuming once I get a exhaust on the GTR it’ll sound awesome in a different way! The M3 V8 certainly felt a bit more linear in its power delivery though – being NA. The GTR hesitates just a tiny bit before taking off waiting for the turbos to spool up. I feel that I’ll get used to it though and will build muscle memory in my throttle control to compensate.

Looks and People Stares
So I was very apprehensive about getting a red GTR, but I found a really nice local 2010 car with just ~7000 miles on it so I went for it. Now that I have it, I don’t regret it one bit – it looks really, really good in person. Generally speaking, photos don’t seem to do the GTR justice – the car looks incredible in person. Compared to the M3, the GTR looks super mean and aggressive, the M3 is much more understated. I like mean and aggressive!!

I drove the GTR around all day today and one thing that I noticed was that not many people stared... which was GREAT! I was worried about too much attention but I got a few looks here and there but that’s it – so happy!

Interior Cabin/Quality/Noise/Ride
Not bad at all! Yeah the M3 is a bit better the GTR is really good too. Folks who complain about cabin quality on the GTR are just a bunch of pansies... I liked how everything was laid out and I got comfortable with the controls within minutes... I love the paddle shifters don’t move with the wheel ...! I love the seats.. and the dash.. and the MFD is so awesome for a geek like me...

Oh and I was totally happy with the noise level – slightly louder than my M3 but not overwhelmingly so. yeah I could hear the road pebbles under the fenders and the occasional transmission clunk at low speeds but overall it feels really as good / better than the M3 DCT .. I’m used to a DCT from the M3 so the GTR DCT was super easy to get used to. I drove around a 100 miles today and was totally comfortable!
The music system is much better than the premium enhanced sound I had in my M3 – much better!!

The ride yes, it was stiffer ... but again .. I was worried that it’ll be too stiff – but it wasn’t – just more firmer and the steering much more direct!
All in all – I am so happy I decided to switch from a M3 to a GTR!!

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_000158.jpg

#2 w00tw00t Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

w00tw00t
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 470 posts
Wow! Can a mod please nuke this spam reply to my post? And block this idiot spammer.

#3 Roll Cancel Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Roll Cancel
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 460 posts
^LOL

anyway, I'm glad you liked your purchse. great mini comparison too. it's great to see the humble owners who are secure with the looks of their GTRs.

#4 1slowgtr Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

1slowgtr
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
lol thats a crazy spam post.

nice purchase, car looks nice!

#5 Riceboy369 Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Riceboy369
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Congrats and nice write up.  I hope the day will come when I can write a review myself !

#6 Optherion Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

Optherion
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
HELL YA! LMAO I remember your epic 10+ page m3post thread. Hate is strong there my friend! Becareful when you update them. Egos will be hurt.

Enjoy it! Glad you pulled the trigger I know you were looking for a while. Red is the best color ;)

I still laugh when I try to explain the power of a basic bolt on GT-R. The guys on M3post argue that no one would ever need more torque than what the M3 comes with. LMAO

Edited by Optherion, 26 January 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#7 w00tw00t Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

w00tw00t
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

View PostOptherion, on 26 January 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

HELL YA! LMAO I remember your epic 10+ page m3post thread. Hate is strong there my friend! Becareful when you update them. Egos will be hurt.

Enjoy it! Glad you pulled the trigger I know you were looking for a while. Red is the best color ;)

I still laugh when I try to explain the power of a basic bolt on GT-R. The guys on M3post argue that no one would ever need more torque than what the M3 comes with. LMAO

yes, I am a bit worried about starting another hate-flame-storm on m3post :D... the power difference cannot be really described - it must be experienced.

#8 crepr12 Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

crepr12
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 409 posts
Enjoy The Super Beast....

#9 Sharif@Forged Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Sharif@Forged
  • Premier International Vendor
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,014 posts
Nice looking car you got yourself there! Enjoy it!

Posted Image

Sharif Abdelbaset | GM | Calibrator | Driving Instructor
Sharif@ForgedPerformance.com
498 Cobb Parkway South, Marietta GA 30060
Forged Performance will meet or beat any competitors pricing!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 jaspergtr Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

jaspergtr
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,447 posts
Congrats on your purchase/experience!  Good write up.  Enjoy your car as it was meant to be enjoyed...

We are used to ///M owners not understanding the difference.  Bliss is good sometimes.  Maybe someday they'll figure it out, maybe they won't - their loss.  As long as they are happy - that's all that matters.

GTM Street Mid-pipe
AP slotted rotors (Fr)
Cosworth Trackmaster Pads
SFS Matte CF Wing
Rexpeed Front Lip
Sundown 8" SA-8 Sub w/JBL Amp

#11 ***MD-GTR*** Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

***MD-GTR***
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
Congrats and enjoy

Posted Image

AAM GT1200R Kit - Twin GTX3582R's
Iveytune Stage II motor
Headgames port & polished heads
Promax & PPG 1-6 by Iveytune
Tuned by Sean Ivey

#12 BPAuto2 Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

BPAuto2
  • Premier International Vendor
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts
Congrats!  I'm sure you'll be overall more satisfied with the GT-R than the M3.

Posted Image

...[a Bespoke Venture]...
t. 213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines... Add us on Facebook!

Please check out our exclusive price-match tool HERE that not only matches the competition, but gives you a 2% return just for using it.

#13 w00tw00t Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

w00tw00t
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 470 posts
tHank you all for the warm welcome!

#14 macantje Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

macantje
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 24 posts
Wow I just did the same thing you did. I got rid of my 2011 E90 M3 manual for new 2010 GT-R. I dont believe tou can even teally compare these two cars, they are so different in so many ways. I followed your M3post thread as well, very entertaining. I have found in my short time on this forum that the member s are more open minded and overall not so quick to judge because you dont own a BMW.
The one thing I do miss from the M3 is the sound so I just ordered a midpipe that will hopefully fix that.  Like yourself I do not at this time plan on a tune because of warranty. My Nissan dealership is actually installing pipe, said it would not affect warranty. Cant wait to hear this beast opened up a bit. Congrats and have fun.

#15 w00tw00t Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

w00tw00t
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

View Postmacantje, on 26 January 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Wow I just did the same thing you did. I got rid of my 2011 E90 M3 manual for new 2010 GT-R. I dont believe tou can even teally compare these two cars, they are so different in so many ways. I followed your M3post thread as well, very entertaining. I have found in my short time on this forum that the member s are more open minded and overall not so quick to judge because you dont own a BMW.
The one thing I do miss from the M3 is the sound so I just ordered a midpipe that will hopefully fix that.  Like yourself I do not at this time plan on a tune because of warranty. My Nissan dealership is actually installing pipe, said it would not affect warranty. Cant wait to hear this beast opened up a bit. Congrats and have fun.

congrats!! post up some pics of the beast!! its awesome that your dealer is supportive of 'light' mods such as an exhaust / downpipes - I'm hoping my local nissan dealer (magic nissan everett) feels the same way.

#16 ckp Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

ckp
  • Members
  • Garage Queen

• PipPip
  • 323 posts
Congrats on your GT-R!

Magic Nissan is also my local dealer - I was there just yesterday.
I have a White 2013 on order with them.....

Maybe I'll see ya around!

-Chris

Posted Image

2013 GT-R | White | Premium - Delivered 5/4/12
Full Bolt on E85 - AMS Tuned

#17 mcduck Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,401 posts
Congrats on joining the GT-R family and on your choice of red (it is the fastest color afterall)  :thumbsup:

Posted Image
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#18 w00tw00t Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

w00tw00t
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 470 posts

View Postckp, on 31 January 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

Congrats on your GT-R!

Magic Nissan is also my local dealer - I was there just yesterday.
I have a White 2013 on order with them.....

Maybe I'll see ya around!

-Chris

thanks chris! I'll be bringing in my gtr to magic towards end of feb for service! ..

View Postmcduck, on 31 January 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Congrats on joining the GT-R family and on your choice of red (it is the fastest color afterall)  :thumbsup:

Thanks!! Yes I was worried about red before I bought it --- but I love it!

#19 konaforever Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

konaforever
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 990 posts
Another M3 to GTR!

I have a red GTR as well. Red is awesome. :shiftdrive:

2009 GTR - red/ecutek tune/titek midpipe
2008 350Z - sold
2005 e46 M3 - sold

#20 ckp Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

ckp
  • Members
  • Garage Queen

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

View Postw00tw00t, on 31 January 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

thanks chris! I'll be bringing in my gtr to magic towards end of feb for service! ..

Right on, I've heard good things about their GT-R servicing there.
Good luck!

Posted Image

2013 GT-R | White | Premium - Delivered 5/4/12
Full Bolt on E85 - AMS Tuned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users