164 replies to this topic

#61 Tom C Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

Tom C
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

View PostGoonthree, on 03 February 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

Never have ran that quick (2.89) without LC on flat road, maybe because I run all season dunlops and nitto invo since it last longer, lol.

Actually, the 2.89s 0-60mph run was with my Dunlop A/S 7010s at MIR which is virtually flat (drops 6 inches over the 1/4mile...and then 3 feet over the next 1,000 feet). So the track prep helped. But then I backed that up with a 2.92s 0-60mph on a private road (obviously no track prep) with a 1.7% declining slope (pretty flat) without using launch control on the same Dunlop A/S 7010s. I tried LC2 once (VDC on) on the private road and the damn thing short shifted 1st gear...so I haven't played with it since...I might try it again at MIR next track day 2/18.

Tom

Chuck Norris drives a GT-R!

#62 mcduck Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

View PostVonHammer, on 02 February 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Guys hang on a minute the G is more than anything I have seen in a road car before or i might be wrong.  But the BMW is doing 0.962G, that's about the same (or a little less) as GTR's have been pulling in some American BS tests!  But the GTR is pullin 1G plus nearly half a G of the GTR's being put round! 1.43G.  Anyone have a website as I can't find anything on G's messured in cars! that's more than the Z06 and ZR1's are pulling it's nearly 1.5G where as Corvettes are pulling like 1.13G = LESS!
Most G measurements are steady state over the course of a fixed turn.  This one was clearly peak G on that specific turn.  I've had readings in my GT-R as high as 1.5G for an instant.  That is not maintainable, though.

Posted Image
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#63 mcduck Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

View PostTom C, on 02 February 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

You are pure entertainment on here...a joke...people laugh at you because we as owners KNOW that the GT-R is a great yet imperfect car.... but you putting it on such a pedestal is sad and pathetic.

People tend to do this with things they will never have... and as long as they never actually have one, their dream cannot be tarnished as long as the illusion is maintained.

Posted Image
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#64 mcduck Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

View PostMindlessOath, on 02 February 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

You do know Nissan didn't do 2.7 on the first try. It was doing it many times and only hit it once. Most likely after the tires were warmed up. They also probably use the secret launch techniques used by sleepdoc.

Nisssan also had a squad of track ninjas which pop out and clean the track in front of the tires.  As far as I know, no one buying the car has been able to order that option yet.

Posted Image

#65 mcduck Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,346 posts

View PostSkyliner, on 03 February 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

Fourth, I am not GT5 or anything else. I am Skyliner on every board, including the Russian dragtimes.info forum. GT5 is my brother.

There's two of you?!

In the words of Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles... "I am depressed"

Posted Image

#66 MarkG Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

MarkG
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
I'm really surprised at how much hatred and negativity there is against the GTR and those that like it by some of the regular posters here.  No matter what nice things some say about the car they will jump in and counter it and then insult the person.  

Anyway, this is an interesting comparison but I can see why Autocar did it.  The GTR is kind of the benchmark in many ways, so any new car with performance pretentions needs to have a crack at it.  To be the king, you have to beat the king.  

I have an F10 550i M-sport.  It's kind of an M5 lite, as it has the same engine and same underpinnings as the new M5, just detuned and softened.  I'm looking forward to driving the new M5, but based on the 550i, I'm not expecting a sport-car experience.  The 550i is a luxo-cruiser.  It's quick, but very soft and not very confidence-inspiring.  The engine is so quiet I sometimes don't know if the car is actually on.  I'm sure the M guys will work their magic, but the chassis of the F10 is such that this will NOT be a visceral sports car.  It's big and heavy (and people call the GTR heavy!!), and it feels it...more so than my previous X5M or X5 4.8, for that matter, soft and excessively refined.  I call mine the black cloud, if that tells you anything.  Disappointing for a BMW, IMO.

'11 GTR Red/black - HP Logic tune/midpipe
'12 X5 50i M-sport Space gray/black - Dinan stage 1
'12 BMW 550i M-sport Jet black/black - "Black Cloud"

#67 AMGfan Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

AMGfan
  • AMGfan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts

View Postmcduck, on 03 February 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

There's two of you?!

In the words of Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles... "I am depressed"

Is there room in the universe for 2 Skyliners?  I'm laughing with you Skyliner and you should take it that way...as Tom C said the GTR is not perfect but damn good in the current performance market.  I've never put a car on a pedestal just because there will always be something quicker and faster...granted that population is limited with the GTR...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#68 Monaco Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

Monaco
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

View Postmcduck, on 03 February 2012 - 08:58 AM, said:

But then, your grip of the English language is clearly as firm as your grip of car knowledge and your grip on reality.

Owned in the most eloquent way possible!

#69 thewraith Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:51 AM

thewraith
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
Maybe the greek should stop giving us language advice and figure out how to fix his country's economy ;)

Just joking, I love Skyliner- he may be an idiot sometimes but he's OUR IDIOT!

#70 Tom C Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Tom C
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

View PostMarkG, on 03 February 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

I'm really surprised at how much hatred and negativity there is against the GTR and those that like it by some of the regular posters here.  No matter what nice things some say about the car they will jump in and counter it and then insult the person.  

Anyway, this is an interesting comparison but I can see why Autocar did it.  The GTR is kind of the benchmark in many ways, so any new car with performance pretentions needs to have a crack at it.  To be the king, you have to beat the king.  

I have an F10 550i M-sport.  It's kind of an M5 lite, as it has the same engine and same underpinnings as the new M5, just detuned and softened.  I'm looking forward to driving the new M5, but based on the 550i, I'm not expecting a sport-car experience.  The 550i is a luxo-cruiser.  It's quick, but very soft and not very confidence-inspiring.  The engine is so quiet I sometimes don't know if the car is actually on.  I'm sure the M guys will work their magic, but the chassis of the F10 is such that this will NOT be a visceral sports car.  It's big and heavy (and people call the GTR heavy!!), and it feels it...more so than my previous X5M or X5 4.8, for that matter, soft and excessively refined.  I call mine the black cloud, if that tells you anything.  Disappointing for a BMW, IMO.

That is akin to someone being called "unpatriotic" for being critical of their government...but please show me specific instances of negativity or hatred for the GT-R. Just because some owners don't wax-poetic over every aspect of the GT-R doesn't mean they are spewing hatred for it. I LOVE ALL GT-Rs....just not the sycophantic fan boys.. who have drunk the Kool-Aid and have no personal experience with the car to know its limitations.  Personally, I.believe every model year the R35 GT-R has improved.... what most current GT-R owners seem to disagree about is whether the bar has been raised enough from one model year to the next to justify trading in their current GT-R for the newest one. I also personally think Mizuno-san has over-hyped the '13 GT-R. I figured if his claimed acceleration times were to be believed the '13 GT-R would need a significant hp and tq increase, with all else being equal (weight, gearing, launch software). So far every legitimate independent test hasn't shown that significant of a difference between the '12 GT-R and '13 GT-R. If pointing that out makes me a "hater" in your eyes...or anyone else's... so be it...

Tom

Edited by Tom C, 03 February 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#71 Daverytimes Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Daverytimes
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 23 posts
Offtopic: Whether skyliner is wrong or not the problem here is that the people who are replying to him are no better, there is no need for personal attacks, this is supposedly a mature board and so far you guys are acting worse than my 2 year old.

On Topic: Quite an unfair comparison since these two cars do not compete in these class.

#72 1Alex Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

1Alex
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
Unsurprising results, really. And I say that as a HUGE M fan.

Off to read the thread from the start.

#73 gtrfanatic Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:12 AM

gtrfanatic
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

View PostMarkG, on 03 February 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

I don't think there is a single person hating on the GTR in this entire thread? I don't even recall reading a single negative thing.

About the M5, in my opinion it's always been a very very heavy sports sedan which offered limited pure sports car feel. In general BMW doesn't make visceral sports cars, they make high power executive sedans.

#74 Lionus Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Lionus
  • Members
  • Original BNR32 'Zilla.

• PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

View Postgtrfanatic, on 03 February 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

I don't think there is a single person hating on the GTR in this entire thread? I don't even recall reading a single negative thing.

About the M5, in my opinion it's always been a very very heavy sports sedan which offered limited pure sports car feel. In general BMW doesn't make visceral sports cars, they make high power executive sedans.

In that case, 1M is.. what? Single moms grocery getter?

Posted Image

#75 gtrfanatic Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

gtrfanatic
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

View PostLionus, on 03 February 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

In that case, 1M is.. what? Single moms grocery getter?

It is a cheaper alternative to the M3. My point was, BMW has never really made anything which competes with the GTR.

#76 MarkG Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

MarkG
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
Tom, I didn't single you out here but since you responded I'll answer.  Pointing the shortcomings doesn't make you a "hater," but repeatedly attacking and belittling someone who chooses to believe Nissan's official numbers does.  I am also of the belief that the '13 model is capable of hitting 10s stock under the right circumstances.  It you don't, that's fine.  But everyone is entitled to their opinion and until it's proven wrong that's exactly what it is.  Splitting hairs repeatedly until you get to the subatomic level to prove your point is not fun or interesting for anyone, IMO.

'11 GTR Red/black - HP Logic tune/midpipe
'12 X5 50i M-sport Space gray/black - Dinan stage 1
'12 BMW 550i M-sport Jet black/black - "Black Cloud"

#77 Monaco Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

Monaco
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

View PostMarkG, on 03 February 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Pointing the shortcomings doesn't make you a "hater," but repeatedly attacking and belittling someone who chooses to believe Nissan's official numbers does.

I'll try to make this short and sweet.  You haven't been here long enough to "know" Skyliner.

Edited by Monaco, 03 February 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#78 Tom C Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

Tom C
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 862 posts

View PostMarkG, on 03 February 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Tom, I didn't single you out here but since you responded I'll answer.  Pointing the shortcomings doesn't make you a "hater," but repeatedly attacking and belittling someone who chooses to believe Nissan's official numbers does.  I am also of the belief that the '13 model is capable of hitting 10s stock under the right circumstances.  It you don't, that's fine.  But everyone is entitled to their opinion and until it's proven wrong that's exactly what it is.  Splitting hairs repeatedly until you get to the subatomic level to prove your point is not fun or interesting for anyone, IMO.

I tried having a dialogue with that person but they chose a different path.

I have never said that the '13 GT-R is not capable of a 10s run. A '12 GT-R in the right conditions is capable so why wouldn't a ' 13 be capable? The subtle difference is that some people point to a very flawed Best Motoring video as some sort of proof that it has. If you don't like reading posts which "split hairs" then you should save yourself some angst and not read posts on any internet car forums. There are subtle nuances in discussions that can make someone right or completely wrong. Maybe my personality is more combative than most.....I am not perfect and have very little tolerance or patience for people who blindly follow anyone or any thing. I have owned a number of high performance cars and am on a number of forums. I have a certain disdain for those fanboys who will not use logic or reason when putting their BMW M, AMG, SRT, SVT or Audi RS on a pedestal.

Tom

#79 1Alex Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

1Alex
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
Tom, if I could +rep you I would.

This has been Skyliner's least annoying series of posts that I've read since being active here. FWIW, I already have him on ignore. For some reason, I decided to view all his posts in this thread.

#80 Skyliner Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

Skyliner
  • Members
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,553 posts

View Postthewraith, on 03 February 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Maybe the greek should stop giving us language advice and figure out how to fix his country's economy ;)

Just joking, I love Skyliner- he may be an idiot sometimes but he's OUR IDIOT!
And you are the biggest idiot of us all!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users