Photo
- - - - -

Does your fuel tank overflow when filling? Poll *Fixed!*

gas tank overflow filling fuel

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Poll: Does your fuel tank overflow when filling? Poll *Fixed!*

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Does your fuel tank overflow when filling?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 infinus

infinus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

In light of the other threads discussing this issue I'd like to take a poll to see how many owners and what years have an issue with their fuel tanks overflowing when filling. (Please don't vote yes if this is due to you trying to top it off). My car literally pours out a significant amount of fuel as soon as the pump stops. I am not trying to overfill or top off the tank but it still occurs on a regular basis which is embarrassing, annoying and a hazard both physically and environmentally. Thanks in advance for your participation.

*update* 2/13/12
The GTR hotline seems to be aware of the issue please call them if you have this issue also. They asked that my tech put in a repair request which he is doing. The tank needs to be shipped from Japan so it will require some approval, if the request is denied she asked that I call back so they can further resolve the situation. The GTR hotline is 866-668-1487 if you haven't called.

*update* 02/14/12
Nissan has approved the new fuel tank which will rectify the issue! All those who have issues please call the hotline and get your new tank!

*update* 03/04/12
The new tank has been installed for a week now it seems to have fixed the problem, I got the car nice and hot and tried to fill and even top off and not a drop came out! Thanks to Nissan for stepping up and fixing this issue.

Thanks again to everybody!

Edited by infinus, 04 March 2012 - 10:39 PM.

09 Solid Red GTR Premium

#2 jmunjr

jmunjr

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

It hasn't in a long time because I learned to cap it asap after filling, but it only overflowed when the car was really really hot, like after a track session. When cooler there was never an issue.
2009 Nissan GT-R, Premium Edition, Gunmetal/Black, Clear front & rear markers, HKS resonated mid-pipe, JRZ RS Pro Silent Coilovers, Forged sway bars, Alcon Superkit BBK, Kognition rear wing, Aeromotions front splitter, BSE transmission cooler, DIY front brake cooling ducts, flatulence-infused seat cushions

#3 infinus

infinus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

It hasn't in a long time because I learned to cap it asap after filling, but it only overflowed when the car was really really hot, like after a track session. When cooler there was never an issue.

It's not that hot right now in Az if it overflows in the winter I'd hate to see what it is going to do to me in the summer when its over 100. The first time it happened I thought maybe it was me not inserting the nozzle in far enough or something but this is happening multiple times at multiple gas stations whether the car has been driven hard or not. The 2nd time it happened it was only after driving down the street so it's not like it was boiling hot.

Here are the other threads:

http://www.nagtroc.o...lling-with-gas/
http://www.nagtroc.o...t-the-gas-pump/
http://www.nagtroc.o...d-to-fill-pump/
09 Solid Red GTR Premium

#4 chemicalman

chemicalman

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

http://www.nagtroc.o...s-tank-cut-off/ Every time... have to count gallons....

#5 shawnhayes

shawnhayes

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:25 AM

Only when hot, generally at track, but I voted yes because of it.

shawn

#6 gilly6993

gilly6993

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

My 2009 did it all the time....figured out pretty quickly I had to count the gallons....my 2012 does not....
2015 White 991 GT3
2013 Silverstone Ferrari 458 Italia

2012 White Nissan GT-R SOLD
2008 Red Ferrari 430 Scuderia SOLD
2010 White Viper ACR SOLD
2009 Black Nissan GT-R SOLD

#7 FikseGTS

FikseGTS

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

same here, my 2009 did, 2012 doesn't....

My 2009 did it all the time....figured out pretty quickly I had to count the gallons....my 2012 does not....

#8 Marcus Frost

Marcus Frost

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

My 2009 does, but only when I leave it filling on the 3rd tab of the pump. If I let it fill on the first tab (IE, the slowest filling position) - it does not overflow. You cannot add even a drop more of fuel after the nozzle shuts off though, or it will then overflow.

Really freaked me out the first time it happened, because fuel came POURING down the side of the car.

-m
marcus

2010 Nissan GTR - Switzer Ultimate Street Edition Plus, 21" ADV10 trakFUNCTION, etc...
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon - 3 pedals, 540rwhp
2012 BMW X5 35d
1969 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Restoration In Progress

2009 Nissan GTR - Tuning Concepts/BoostLogic Dyno Tuned HKS GT570 (SOLD)

#9 infinus

infinus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

I called the NHTSA and filed a complaint I suggest the rest of you do the same: https://www-odi.nhts...int/index.xhtml
09 Solid Red GTR Premium

#10 infinus

infinus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:13 PM

I just got off the phone with Denise at the GTR hotline, according to her Nissan is aware of this issue. She told me to have my GTR tech put in a repair request (which he already said he would do, he is aware of this issue also and will put in an order for a new tank) If the issue is denied she told me I should call back.

Edited by infinus, 13 February 2012 - 01:19 PM.

09 Solid Red GTR Premium

#11 gsx95

gsx95

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

My 2009 has never done this.

#12 GGPatterson

GGPatterson

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

2012...never. I can actually top it off like $1 or $2 dollars extra without any spill.
'12 GTR (white premiem)
'12 Denali Duramax
'10 Corvette
'68 Camaro

Posted Image

#13 CR-8-10_GTR

CR-8-10_GTR

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

It only did once while I was filling with 100 octane. I think the flow rate was so slow that it didn't detect back flow to stop so it just started pouring out.
2010 Nissan GT-R, Gun Metal "Gigi", Premium - current, Mods: HKS Legamax Resonated Midpipe, Clear Front Side Markers, Full Car Clear Bra, Tinted Windows, Stillen Front Skid Plate, HKS Drop In Air Filters, Cobb AP w/TCM, 2012 Turbo Inlets
2014 Chevrolet Volt White "Daily Driver" - current
2005 Honda Accord Silver "Daily Driver" DX - sold 2014
1994 Mazda RX-7 White "Imogen", PEP - sold 2009
1995 Honda Integra Red - sold 2008
1990 Nissan R32 Skyline Silver GTS - sold 2008
1990 Nissan R32 Skyline Charcoal GTS - sold 2008
1990 Dodge Neon, White "Daily Driver" - sold 2006

#14 infinus

infinus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Update posted on the first post. The GTR hotline worked and Nissan approved a new fuel tank! That was surprisingly quick!
09 Solid Red GTR Premium

#15 rcalcaide

rcalcaide

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

get one of these to keep the fuel away from your paint.

http://www.griotsgar....do?from=Search

My 09 oveflowed once 3 years ago. Knock on wood, hasnt happened since.

#16 gilly6993

gilly6993

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,866 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

In light of the other threads discussing this issue I'd like to take a poll to see how many owners and what years have an issue with their fuel tanks overflowing when filling. (Please don't vote yes if this is due to you trying to top it off). My car literally pours out a significant amount of fuel as soon as the pump stops. I am not trying to overfill or top off the tank but it still occurs on a regular basis which is embarrassing, annoying and a hazard both physically and environmentally. Thanks in advance for your participation.

*update* 2/13/12
The GTR hotline seems to be aware of the issue please call them if you have this issue also. They asked that my tech put in a repair request which he is doing. The tank needs to be shipped from Japan so it will require some approval, if the request is denied she asked that I call back so they can further resolve the situation. I have removed the link to the NHTSA complaint form, since Nissan so far appears to be willing to attempt to rectify the situation I don't see any further need to drag the NHTSA into this unless nothing gets done. The GTR hotline is 866-668-1487 if you haven't called.

*update* 02/14/12
Nissan has approved the new fuel tank which will rectify the issue! All those who have issues please call the hotline and get your new tank!

Thanks again to everybody!

best of luck with your new fuel tank....hope it works better than the one in my 2012....I forgot to keep track of my gallons and had significant overflows the past 2 fillups....for them to tell you they fixed the problem is a crock of shit.... my advice is pay attention to the fill up....
2015 White 991 GT3
2013 Silverstone Ferrari 458 Italia

2012 White Nissan GT-R SOLD
2008 Red Ferrari 430 Scuderia SOLD
2010 White Viper ACR SOLD
2009 Black Nissan GT-R SOLD

#17 dtectproject

dtectproject

R32 Member

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

my car has done this since new. i learned early to go VERY slow when filling and to not let the nozzle "click" off. i have to listen to the sound of the gas as the tank fills and most of the time i still underfill it.

sucks having gas pouring out of the car, close to the hot exhaust, and onto the ground...all this while people come over to check it out...not good.
'09 Premium DMG: VR.G2's (HMB), CBRD midpipe, STATUS Racing carbon Ring seats

#18 infinus

infinus

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

best of luck with your new fuel tank....hope it works better than the one in my 2012....I forgot to keep track of my gallons and had significant overflows the past 2 fillups....for them to tell you they fixed the problem is a crock of shit.... my advice is pay attention to the fill up....

My tech has replaced a tank on another 09 and that person hasn't had any issues yet, I'm hoping mine will have similar results. Given the results in the poll I at least stand a slightly better chance of it not occurring.
09 Solid Red GTR Premium

#19 Dentifrice

Dentifrice

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Only happens when the tank is close to Empty.... I have a 2009.

#20 outlawz

outlawz

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

get one of these to keep the fuel away from your paint.

http://www.griotsgar....do?from=Search

My 09 oveflowed once 3 years ago. Knock on wood, hasnt happened since.

i ordered one for my 2009, just arrived yesterday. haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a no brainer for $13. thanks for the link.
2009 Black GT-R, Premium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users