These jack stands are offered by Torin, Snap-on, OTC, Griot's Garage, and Duralast. The Duralast aluminum stands from Auto Zone are no longer available. Some of the jack stands have inner tubes which are removable which provide easy access for bolting a block to the top of the stand. Others like the Torin Big Red model T43004 have a "captive" inner tube and a sealed bottom on the outer tube.
This post focuses on the Torin model since it is the most challenging one of the group on which to install the block. Items needed to convert the Torin jack stands to BMW, MB, and GT-R friendly jack stands are:
1) One pair of JB52-30-28 Jack Stand Blocks (includes two 55mm bolts) available for $31.95 at www.reverselogic.us
2) 10mm drill bit and drill press with 1/2" chuck
3) 17mm socket with long extension to reach through inner tube.
4) Drift pin and hammer or other suitable tool for removing spring loaded pins from inner jack stand tube
5) Thin plastic sheet material to retain spring loaded pins in place when tubes are separated
6) C-Clamp if using a drilling template on the jack stand saddle.
The pictures in this first post show the finished product and the bottom of the outer tube and the spring-loaded pins in the inner tube.
Edited by Fred@ReverseLogic, 19 March 2014 - 06:03 PM.