Car dust

26 replies to this topic

#1 gtRN Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

gtRN
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
What are you guys using to get any dust of the car or what do you recommend? I swear the car is dusty as soon as I'm done washing it. Thanks.

Jeremy

#2 Raydius Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Raydius
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 284 posts
Adam's Waterless Wash plus microfiber towels
http://www.adamspoli...s-car-wash.aspx

2012 Nissan GT-R Premium - Deep Blue Pearl - AAM res midpipes - Cobb AP - Stillen side skirts - Stillen front skid plate - WR35TM - iForged Insite - KW Sleeves

Previous:
2009 Audi S5 - VS-XX and lots of suspension mods, best exhaust sound ever
2000 Mercedes C230 Kompressor - full Wald, lots of McIntosh audio
1992 Toyota Supra Turbo - 1.5JZ+GT35R project that never finished
1991 Toyota Supra Turbo - 1JZ swap, full Bomex

#3 Dave@GotboostPerformance Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Dave@GotboostPerformance
  • Vendors
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
Haha, the gtr vacuums up dust off the road like a gigantic vacuum cleaner......especially at the rear!

'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.nagtroc.o...he-gbp-900-kit/

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
dave@gotboostperformance.com
email and paypal

Posted Image

#4 gtRN Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:59 AM

gtRN
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

View PostDave@GotboostPerformance, on 30 May 2012 - 12:57 AM, said:

Haha, the gtr vacuums up dust off the road like a gigantic vacuum cleaner......especially at the rear!

Exactly, the rear is the worst.

#5 Socalaviator Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:53 AM

Socalaviator
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts
My technique is to keep the rear well waxed and then after every drive I dust it off with a Turtle Wax car "duster". The bristles are really soft and remove the rear accumulation as long as it is very light. The rear of this car combined with the brake dust makes it hard to keep clean.

2011 GTR

AAM DPs, HKS resonated Mid-Pipe, Stillen Cat-Back Exhaust, 3" Intakes, 2012 Inlet Pipes, ID1000cc injectors, SIR 265 Fuel Pumps, 91oct and E85 Pro Tune by Tim Bailey @ Cobb SoCal. 606whp / 616 wtorque @19Psi peak. E85

Other Rides:
2006 Nissan 350Z- Hi Power Dual Exhaust
2003 Honda CBR 954- Custom Stainless Yosimura exhaust/headers, exhaust valve delete, KnN Air Filter, Velocity Stacks, Catalyst Reaction Front Forks and Rear shock, steering damper, Power Commander, 91 oct dyno tune- 143 whp

#6 gtRN Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

gtRN
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
^^^^ I was wondering if anyone was using a car duster.

#7 Dave@GotboostPerformance Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

Dave@GotboostPerformance
  • Vendors
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
California car duster and Griot's Garage Speed Shine everyday.

'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.nagtroc.o...he-gbp-900-kit/

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
dave@gotboostperformance.com
email and paypal

Posted Image

#8 yourgirlznext Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

yourgirlznext
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes I use calif. duster. Also use wolfgang sealent after washing. Stuff is great!!!!! Easy on and off plus it last for awhile. Its like glass which allows you to dust off easily. Got it from auto geek. Good luck

#9 gtRN Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

gtRN
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
I was afraid to use my CA duster because of the crappy gtr paint, but I'll give it a go.

#10 drbobbybones Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

drbobbybones
  • Members
  • Bone Stock

• PipPip
  • 235 posts
California Car Duster, then Ultima Waterless Wash or Optimum Opti-Clean (UWW is cheaper), then Chemical Guys Hybrid V7.  The whole process takes me about 30 minutes or so.  I do this 1-2 times a week and I only have to wash the car about every 3-4 weeks or so.Posted Image

2012 Jet Black Black Edition (daily driver)
2011 Audi Q5 (wife/kid)
2002 Subaru WRX TurboXS Stage 4 (eventual track toy)

#11 GODZ!LLA Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:02 AM

GODZ!LLA
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
Try a Kozak waterless wash cloth.  They are amazing.  With any duster After a drive you'll need to follow with a detailer.

#12 drbobbybones Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

drbobbybones
  • Members
  • Bone Stock

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

View PostGODZ!LLA, on 02 June 2012 - 05:02 AM, said:

Try a Kozak waterless wash cloth.  They are amazing.  With any duster After a drive you'll need to follow with a detailer.

Careful using the Kozak on black.  I've used it on a black car before and almost cried when I saw what happened afterwards.  Swirl city.

2012 Jet Black Black Edition (daily driver)
2011 Audi Q5 (wife/kid)
2002 Subaru WRX TurboXS Stage 4 (eventual track toy)

#13 RoadRageDetail Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

RoadRageDetail
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
I'd recommend something like this to many of you, especially those with black finishes: http://www.autogeek....c-detailer.html

The scary thing about a cali style car duster is regardless of how soft or clean they are, the mat will pick up dust from one area of the car and wipe it all over the rest of the finish - and that opens the door to cause swirls. If you can work your magic with a duster without any issues, more power to you and I don't think they're a bad product. However, (this will sound like detailing 101 to most of you) the best thing to do without spending an afternoon on a proper wash is to use a product that suspends the dirt away from the paint before it is wiped away, thus neutralizing it to prevent scratching/swirling. What I like about using anti-static products, especially on the GTR, is that I've found the large front and rear bumpers and the headlights love to generate static even when gently using a microfiber towel. That static is what turns them into a dust magnet in the garage. Two birds, killed with one inexpensive stone that will even prolong the life of your sealant/wax treatments. Just my two cents.

#14 GODZ!LLA Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

GODZ!LLA
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
I've used Kozak on my black cars without problem.  The cars have to have a good wax job already and only have dust/road dust without any water.  You have to keep a trifold on the cloth and use a knitted glove on your wiping hand as the oils on your hand will pull the dirt off the cloth and your hand will be black.

Too many best in show trophies here to be wrong!

If you think the gtr's rear collects dust, get a C5.  There would be 1/8" of dust below the tailights after a 60 mile drive.

Edited by GODZ!LLA, 04 June 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#15 jumarapol Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

jumarapol
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
Try a powerful blower for the accumulated dust. You can get a good one at Sears, etc.

2012 BE with few Modz

#16 jumarapol Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

jumarapol
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
I like EcoTouch Waterless Car Wash more often than any other brands. They are non-toxic and shines great. Go to Autogeek.com and you'll find great info.

2012 BE with few Modz

#17 teedog Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

teedog
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 205 posts
Has anyone tried this on their GTR?

http://www.meguiars....d-wax-anywhere/

#18 Stan@GLS Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Stan@GLS
  • Members
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
I completely agree this is exactly what happend to my blk z06.

View PostRoadRageDetail, on 02 June 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

I'd recommend something like this to many of you, especially those with black finishes: http://www.autogeek....c-detailer.html

The scary thing about a cali style car duster is regardless of how soft or clean they are, the mat will pick up dust from one area of the car and wipe it all over the rest of the finish - and that opens the door to cause swirls. If you can work your magic with a duster without any issues, more power to you and I don't think they're a bad product. However, (this will sound like detailing 101 to most of you) the best thing to do without spending an afternoon on a proper wash is to use a product that suspends the dirt away from the paint before it is wiped away, thus neutralizing it to prevent scratching/swirling. What I like about using anti-static products, especially on the GTR, is that I've found the large front and rear bumpers and the headlights love to generate static even when gently using a microfiber towel. That static is what turns them into a dust magnet in the garage. Two birds, killed with one inexpensive stone that will even prolong the life of your sealant/wax treatments. Just my two cents.

Cobb Tuned by Ben@GTC customer service #1
P800 VBOX 60-130 5.9 pump gas

#19 grnvette65 Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

grnvette65
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 411 posts
i've not had luck w/ wolfgang sealant, i find it attracts alot of dust and it loses its slickness after a wash

#20 GODZ!LLA Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

GODZ!LLA
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 667 posts
I just started with Wolfgang after a lifetime of meguires.  heisted the polish enhancer followed by the 3.0 sealant, followed by fuzion estate and finally a quick spritz of deep crystal spray.  The result is a shine I have not seen with general products.  You can see the diff in dust collection from paint to glass in my experience.

Got a trial of their tire gel and like the other products it seems better too.

Edited by GODZ!LLA, 17 June 2012 - 02:26 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users