maintaining cleaning

22 replies to this topic

#1 hks Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

hks
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 263 posts
what steps would one recommend for detailing a white gtr? I'm guessing wash car, clay, and what wax or whatever next step would be? I am only interested in non-machine applications. there are too many products out there, wax, sealant, etc. overwhelming.

money cant buy taste. GTRice taking over

#2 Mirror D Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Mirror D
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Your information is not enough to give you a specific answer. A basic detail would be washing when needed. Now depending on how often you drive your GTR and in what conditions, claying when needed is required. Claying every wash is a waste of time and can potentionaly damage your paint. After claying or washing, sealing the paint is your best bet.

Waxes do not give as long lasting durability as Sealants do. Waxing is best reserved for doing prior to showing your vehicle. For long lasting good looking protection, sealing the paint is better.

Too sum it up, wash your car as needed. Dry it correctly with each wash to reduce water spotting. Clay as needed, which should be every few months depending on how often you drive it. Then depending on sealing it, do it every other month.

As for recommendation, for an easy to use Sealant that looks great on white and looks real good, go with Menzerna Powerlock,

Mike @ www.mirrordetailing.com

#3 hks Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

hks
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 263 posts
thanks for the input. I didn't know the difference between wax and sealant. I will look into Menzerna Powerlock.

#4 FrankyGTR Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

FrankyGTR
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • WHITE NINJA

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

View PostMirror D, on 17 June 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

Your information is not enough to give you a specific answer. A basic detail would be washing when needed. Now depending on how often you drive your GTR and in what conditions, claying when needed is required. Claying every wash is a waste of time and can potentionaly damage your paint. After claying or washing, sealing the paint is your best bet.

Waxes do not give as long lasting durability as Sealants do. Waxing is best reserved for doing prior to showing your vehicle. For long lasting good looking protection, sealing the paint is better.

Too sum it up, wash your car as needed. Dry it correctly with each wash to reduce water spotting. Clay as needed, which should be every few months depending on how often you drive it. Then depending on sealing it, do it every other month.

As for recommendation, for an easy to use Sealant that looks great on white and looks real good, go with Menzerna Powerlock,
always good detailing info from you!!!

are you a GTR owner? join the owners facebook group,just ask me (3) Franky Gtr Love

#5 Shawn@SuperiorAuto Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

Shawn@SuperiorAuto
  • Vendors
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 47 posts
Where are you located?  Are you looking to maintain the vehicle or polish it?

#6 hks Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

hks
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 263 posts
I'm in so cal. I would probably just wash it and seal it for smooth finish every few months, maybe longer, and clay when needed.

#7 Shawn@SuperiorAuto Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Shawn@SuperiorAuto
  • Vendors
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 47 posts
Products I would use for the vehicle.  If you need help with how to use any of the products please shoot me a pm

Superior Auto Salon Auto Bathe
Superior Auto Salon APC (Wheel/Tires)
Superior Auto Salon Tire Protectant
Chemical Guys Fine Clay
Chemical Guys Clay Lube
Chemical Guys Jet Seal

#8 Mirror D Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Mirror D
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

View PostShawn@SuperiorAuto, on 18 June 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Products I would use for the vehicle.  If you need help with how to use any of the products please shoot me a pm

Superior Auto Salon Auto Bathe
Superior Auto Salon APC (Wheel/Tires)
Superior Auto Salon Tire Protectant
Chemical Guys Fine Clay
Chemical Guys Clay Lube
Chemical Guys Jet Seal

Even though he is plugging his products...there is a pretty massive list of products that would work just fine out there for what you need.

Soaps...

Meguiars Gold Class
Chemical Guys Citrous Wash'n'Gloss
Chemical Guys Maxisudds
Meguiars Hyper Wash

Chemical Guys Grime Reaper in different dilutions will cover anything from removing grime from wheel wells, tires, wheels, tar/grime on the body, etc.'

For tire shine...you will not find a better lasting and looking tire shine than Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

For clay...all clays are the same, The patent is held by one company that pretty much produces over 85% of the companies clays. You can just get them in different grades. I always go with Detailed Image Medium & Light.

For lube, a more cost efficient one is using a dilution of Optimum No Rinse.

For sealing, Jet Seal would be the last thing I would recommend. If you want different options for white...

Menzerna Powerlock
Blackfire Wet Diamond
HD Poxy
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Now if you want to be able to pick up all these products in one location, everything can be had from www.detailedimage.com A very large site that has all the detailing products you will need.

#9 hks Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

hks
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 263 posts
thats what im talking about! thanks guys!

#10 Ispeed Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Ispeed
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 127 posts
I have 3 white cars, this is my process.
Wash
Dry
Clay if needed.
Polish to remove scratches if needed.
wax and or seal the paint, I prefer wax on Sunday cars, sealants on daily drivers
try this wax it is the best i have used on a white car
http://www.detailedi...P470/500-ml-S1/

2009 GTR 552AWHP-550TQ
2009 Range Rover Sport- Daily
2007 525XI- so the wife can hit the curb in all weather conditions.

#11 S&S Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

S&S
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

View Posthks, on 18 June 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

thanks for the input. I didn't know the difference between wax and sealant. I will look into Menzerna Powerlock.

Waxes usually are made of carnauba or other products that occur in nature.  Waxes typically give a deeper warmer glow to the paint.  Sealants are made from man-made synthetic products.  Sealants will give a shaper shine to the paint that will not be as deep as a wax.  Normally a sealant will have more durability then a wax, unless you are talking ultra-high end waxes like Swissvax, ect.  Also sealants tend to be a bit more user friendly when it comes to removing the product.  Of course you can use a wax over a sealant to have the best of both worlds.  Just allow the sealant to cure for at least 8-12 hours before placing a wax over top of the sealant.  

Below are two example of wax vs. sealant on some white cars that I have done in the past.  
Wax

Posted Image

Sealant

Posted Image

yes different shades of white but you can kind of get the idea.  

#12 hks Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

hks
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 263 posts
after reading reviews online I will try Collinite 476. see what the hype is all about.

#13 domino_z Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

domino_z
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts
With white cars your focus should be on paint decontamination

Start with a good foam bath, use a product like iron-x to remove all iron particles embedded in clear, tar-x or tardis to dissolve tar, wash again with a strong apc, clay, then start your polish steps to remove scratchs and marring

As for protection, don't waste time with a carnauba based wax. Go straight to a synthetic sealant or nano type sealant

2011 R35 (Aus spec) - 750awhp/600ftlb, FBO E85, WR600 ball bearing turbos, ported/polished oem manifold, Dodson Super Stock clutches + Jacks welded baskets, built and tuned by Willall Racing

#14 hks Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

hks
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 263 posts
any recommendations on synthetic sealant or nano type sealant products?

#15 domino_z Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

domino_z
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts
Menzerna powerlock is a very easy to use sealant, you don't have to worry so much about applying it thicker in some areas

otherwise you could try something like wolf body wrap or cquartz, but application is more finicky

Edited by domino_z, 21 June 2012 - 04:51 PM.

2011 R35 (Aus spec) - 750awhp/600ftlb, FBO E85, WR600 ball bearing turbos, ported/polished oem manifold, Dodson Super Stock clutches + Jacks welded baskets, built and tuned by Willall Racing

#16 Mirror D Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Mirror D
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

View Postdomino_z, on 21 June 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Menzerna powerlock is a very easy to use sealant, you don't have to worry so much about applying it thicker in some areas

otherwise you could try something like wolf body wrap or cquartz, but application is more finicky

Do not go to this level. If you do not have experience in detailing background, going to Wolfs Body Wrap let alone Cquartz will cause you a headache and a half. These products require and understanding of detailing and experience to apply them correctly. If not done correctly you will be asking questions on how to fix it.

#17 AndoOKC Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

AndoOKC
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Is 1Z Glanz wax a sealant or a wax?

Can I use a carnuba based wax over a sealant?

Does one need a "polish"?

2013 Nissan GTR Pearl White - FBO E85 Flex Fuel @ 20 psi
SBD resonated midpipe (3rd gen)
SBD non-catted downpipes (2nd gen) with DEI titanium heat wrap
Stock exhaust
285 square BFG Rivals on factory rims @ 36-37 psi hot & 15mm H&R Trak+ DRM spacers (front and back)
HKS denso 195 lph fuel pumps
Fuel Injector Clinic 900 cc High-Z injectors
Gotboost 3" intakes with green filters
EcuTek tuned by John Visconti
Visconti Tuning flex fuel kit
Author of THE AUTOMOTIVE LIGHTING FAQ (H1HID)

#18 domino_z Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

domino_z
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,167 posts
Pretty sure glanz is an acrylic based sealant, like klasse sg and the Jeff werkstatt line

You can top a sealant with a carnauba once its fully cured (24 hrs min) but not the other way around

Most hobbiests recommend acrylic products for white, but in my experience I wouldn't get too caught up in the last stage protection choosing bw various sealants, like I said above, white cars require good decon steps prior to polishing or waxing/sealing

Edited by domino_z, 09 August 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#19 LuckyEff Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

LuckyEff
  • Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
I have a white corolla and i just use some compound formula to clean it every 3 months. Seems to do the job.

Toyota Prado

Mercedes S 400
HYBRID

#20 drbobbybones Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

drbobbybones
  • Members
  • Bone Stock

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

View PostLuckyEff, on 09 August 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

I have a white corolla and i just use some compound formula to clean it every 3 months. Seems to do the job.

If by "compound formula" you mean "polishing compound", you are giving some terrible advice.  Polishing compound works well in skilled hands in combination with other polishes to finish it down to increase gloss and remove swirls, but that's not how you keep a car looking good every 3 months.  In fact, this would actually be detrimental to the paint because you are continually removing clear coat.

If by "compound formula" you mean an All-In-One product, then this is actually good advice.  The best AIO products that I have personally used are Zaino AIO, Chemical Guys Blacklight, and Klasse AIO.  Zaino's protection has yet to be beaten by any other AIO product that I have ever seen, and it also can clean and lightly polish as well.

2012 Jet Black Black Edition (daily driver)
2011 Audi Q5 (wife/kid)
2002 Subaru WRX TurboXS Stage 4 (eventual track toy)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users