• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 MC Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

MONTICELLO, NY - GT-R owners revved up to the Monticello Motor Club in New York for the third ever GT-R Experience. This is an invitation-only event for current and future owners; it is as unique as the car that starred in the show. New York was the third event in the series, the first was at Palm Beach International Raceway in Florida and the second was at Laguna Seca Roadway in Southern California.

The GT-R experience, hosted by Nissan, featured on site driver's ed from Skip Barber driving instructors, autocrossing and other drills for owners, and would-be owners, to put the 2013 to the test. "Clearly this is the kind of place where you can explore the capabilities of the car," said Carl Phillips, Nissan North America's Chief Marketing Manager for the GT-R.

Kelly Heaphy loves a challenge. Growing up Heaphy's mom raced Corvettes. At this event, Heaphy got a chance to push her favorite car, the Nissan GT-R, to its limits at the track. "I kind of like, hey look boys I can do better than you are, and definitely this car turns heads, you know blonds in a bright red car, who is that? Wait, wait what's going on and they really want to keep up with you," said Heaphy.

Heaphy's friend Andy Morris owns the car she drove at the event; it is his second GT-R. "This is a car I can afford, I can drive hard, I can replace the parts without having the expense of a true exotic and it performs as good or better than most of those cars," said Morris.

Morris and Heaphy turned their GT-R experience into a competition, complete with trash talk and time challenges. "If we had another car I would totally win," taunted Heaphy. "But you don't like to compete," replied Morris. At the owners event, Morris took on the drag races and followed the leader. Heaphy did the auto-cross and the slalom exercises. Then they both did hot laps coached by world-class professional drivers from the Skip Barber Driving School.

"I know I am better than some of these guys. I mean I love cars. I live, sleep, dream everything about cars, and for me this is vacation," said Heaphy. But the car tricks were not actually Heaphy and Morris's favorite part of their GT-R Experience. It was meeting the legendary Kazutoshi Mizuno, the chief engineer behind of the GT-R.

"I think the opportunity to meet Mizuno is probably the best thing here because I had no idea I was even going to get that opportunity," said Heaphy. "Our GT-R team gets energy from customers so these kind of events make good energy for us," said Mizuno-san.

Mizuno-san plans to keep improving his creation for at least five more years. And he said as long as customers keep buying the GT-R's, drivers will get to keep experiencing this unique event.

#2 monEmakindave Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

monEmakindave
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
If i cant say it enough.  Nissan did a great job on the whole event.  

Thanks to all that were involved in making this happen.

Hopefully it continues!

www.thespeedlounge.com

2011 PW GT-R. EcuTek Tuned by Visconti. Switzer 90mm exhaust 3" intakes, And KW's

#3 Cicio@TopSpeed Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Cicio@TopSpeed
  • International Vendor
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
Sweet video! Thanks for sharing.

~Cicio

Cars:
DD: 2014 Midnight Opal GT-R

Fast Car: 2013 BE 4.4 Alpha16
Posted Image
-2010,2011,2012 & 2013 OneLap of America Winners
-Texas2k 2013 Overall Winner
Call: 678 / 297.7770
cicio@topspeedtuned.com
TopSpeedTuned.com

**AWD Dyno Tuning
**Parts, Sales, Service
**E-TUNE Service

#4 MC Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts
In that video  is our very  own  member  McDuck and his  friend Kelly.. Nissan was  smart to choose to cover them  in the  vid. I think  both of them  represented  the  brand image  Nissan was  going for

#5 NJNYCGTR Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

NJNYCGTR
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
Cool video.
Wish I got to meet mcduck, but I had to leave for a work emergency early.
Hope to meet up with fellow gtr again soon.

GTR_FrontQuarter.jpg

#6 MC Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts
a few more vids from nissan of the event

#7 dsocohen Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

dsocohen
  • 2010 Super Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
I was reading that this event is invitation only and that Nissan provides you with a 2013, helmet, jacket and some other swag. Is that correct? I guess invites go out to current owners? Is there an event schedule out there somewhere?

Posted Image

2010 Super Silver
Performance: HKS Non-Resonated Midpipe | Tanabe Medalion Touring Catback | K&N Drop-in Filters
Appearance: 21" x 10"F, 11"R ADV.1 5.0 2013 Track Spec Contour Wheels | Pirelli Pzero Nero Tires | Downforce USA CF Body Kit (eyelids, front lip, side skirts, rear spats, gurney flap) | NordRing CF Trunk Spoiler and Front Bumper Finisher | C-West Durement Cyber GT-R Steering Wheel | DCT CF Steering Wheel Center Trim | Black Edition Shift Knob | RSW Japan CF Full Interior | Rexpeed CF Diffuser Fins and CF Fender Emblem Covers | Varis CF Mirror Covers | Rays Black Duraluminum Lug Nuts | JDM Front Clear Corners

#8 MC Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:50 PM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

View Postdsocohen, on 21 June 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

I was reading that this event is invitation only and that Nissan provides you with a 2013, helmet, jacket and some other swag. Is that correct? I guess invites go out to current owners? Is there an event schedule out there somewhere?

that is correct.   There were  3 events this year  in  nissans largest  GTR markets   FL CA and  NY...   they went very well and it is likely nissan will be doing this  again  next year for the 2014  ..hopefully in larger markets

#9 dsocohen Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

dsocohen
  • 2010 Super Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

View PostMC, on 21 June 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

that is correct there were  3 events this year  in  nissans largest  GTR markets   FL CA and  NY...   they went very well and it is likely nissan will be doing this  again  next year for the 2014  ..hopefully in larger markets

So I guess if you were within a certain radius from the track you got an invite. Hope they come to Texas!

Posted Image

2010 Super Silver
Performance: HKS Non-Resonated Midpipe | Tanabe Medalion Touring Catback | K&N Drop-in Filters
Appearance: 21" x 10"F, 11"R ADV.1 5.0 2013 Track Spec Contour Wheels | Pirelli Pzero Nero Tires | Downforce USA CF Body Kit (eyelids, front lip, side skirts, rear spats, gurney flap) | NordRing CF Trunk Spoiler and Front Bumper Finisher | C-West Durement Cyber GT-R Steering Wheel | DCT CF Steering Wheel Center Trim | Black Edition Shift Knob | RSW Japan CF Full Interior | Rexpeed CF Diffuser Fins and CF Fender Emblem Covers | Varis CF Mirror Covers | Rays Black Duraluminum Lug Nuts | JDM Front Clear Corners

#10 konaforever Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

konaforever
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 997 posts

View Postdsocohen, on 21 June 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

So I guess if you were within a certain radius from the track you got an invite. Hope they come to Texas!

MC has posted the link a few weeks ago to signup for the last event.

2009 GTR - red/ecutek tune/titek midpipe
2008 350Z - sold
2005 e46 M3 - sold

#11 MC Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

View Postdsocohen, on 21 June 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

sort of....     i mean  it wasnt restricted to  people from those markets attending.      the first one  was  more under the radar as  nissan used its dealer network and a few other  methods to  invite attendees . the  CA event  really blew up big as    NAGTROC members were aware of it because of the   first event and nissan even added a second  day to accommodate  everyone .. For the    NY event last weekend Nissan marketing had me put the invitation out for everyone on the forum and they  made it a  2 day event to again  let as many join the experience as possible

#12 mcduck Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

View PostMC, on 21 June 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...ed/wWlSCbcg7dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My name is mcduck and I approved this video...

View Postdsocohen, on 21 June 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Yes... a couple other things... you get a GT-R jump drive containing a video with telemetry of your seat time in Nissan's 2013 GT-R on one of the road courses.  Also got a GT-R experience ballcap and maybe a few other minor things.  Really, that all paled in comparison to meeting Mizuno.  I have a 45min video of his presentation I took on my phone .  I will try to get that uploaded tonight and provide a link.  It's a bit shaky cam and mostly info we already have, but still interesting to see him present.
<edit: uploading now, but it's a BIG file... 4GB .mp4 video... youtube says several hours.  We'll see>

All in all, this was one of the best car events I have ever been to.  I hope Nissan keeps doing them.  I could not have had a better time or asked for a better companion on the trip than Kelly.

If I understand the email from Caroline (on Nissan's media team), there should be at least one more Nissan video coming which is a little more comprehensive coverage about the event, activities, and so forth.

Edited by mcduck, 21 June 2012 - 03:34 PM.

Posted Image
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#13 Cavalier777 Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Cavalier777
  • Members
  • R36 Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,047 posts
"another 5 years" AWWW YEAHHHH

Posted Image

#14 tsubasa650 Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

tsubasa650
  • Members
  • The Nihonjin

• PipPip
  • 304 posts
You guys are lucky to get Mizuno-san! He couldn't make it to CA because of the 2014 testing they had to do in Japan....
But I had a chance to speak to Takahashi-san for about 30 minutes and it was awesome!

2013 GT-R Black Edition Pearl White
2012 Tesla Model S Signature Red
2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine / Black
2010 Pearl White GT-R Premium (Sold)
[color=#a9a9a9]2010 Porsche Cayman S Aqua Blue Metallic (Sold)

#15 MC Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:40 PM

MC
  • Administrator
  • NAGTROC CO-FOUNDER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,085 posts

View Posttsubasa650, on 21 June 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

You guys are lucky to get Mizuno-san! He couldn't make it to CA because of the 2014 testing they had to do in Japan....
But I had a chance to speak to Takahashi-san for about 30 minutes and it was awesome!

yeah   koji was  great i sent  something  up to NY to get him to  sign but  he didnt make the  trip :(   dont know why i didnt get  him to sign my  helmet or something in   FL even though i didnt have my car

#16 tsubasa650 Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

tsubasa650
  • Members
  • The Nihonjin

• PipPip
  • 304 posts

View PostMC, on 21 June 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

yeah   koji was  great i sent  something  up to NY to get him to  sign but  he didnt make the  trip :(   dont know why i didnt get  him to sign my  helmet or something in   FL even though i didnt have my car

I'm supposed to meet up with him next time I go to Japan and get a tour of the headquarters. And hopefully the GTR factory in Tochigi too.
Need more vacation time!!

2013 GT-R Black Edition Pearl White
2012 Tesla Model S Signature Red
2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine / Black
2010 Pearl White GT-R Premium (Sold)
[color=#a9a9a9]2010 Porsche Cayman S Aqua Blue Metallic (Sold)

#17 mcduck Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts
OK, YouTube does not like my big video.  Anyone got a recommendation of where to post a 4GB 45min long video and allows me to share as link on the forum?  If not, I'm going to have to split the Mizuno video into 4 or 5 parts to put up on YouTube.

Posted Image
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#18 dsocohen Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

dsocohen
  • 2010 Super Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

View Postmcduck, on 22 June 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

OK, YouTube does not like my big video.  Anyone got a recommendation of where to post a 4GB 45min long video and allows me to share as link on the forum?  If not, I'm going to have to split the Mizuno video into 4 or 5 parts to put up on YouTube.

I think Vimeo will allow longer video lengths.

Posted Image

2010 Super Silver

#19 mcduck Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

mcduck
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts

View Postdsocohen, on 22 June 2012 - 07:55 AM, said:

I think Vimeo will allow longer video lengths.
only if you pay for their premium service.  The free upload on Vimeo is limited to 500MB.  Thinking I'll just split the video if I can and upload in chunks.

Posted Image

#20 suka jones Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

suka jones
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
McDuck, you are a video phenom now! Fun to see that. Looks like another great event. I really want to make it to Laguna Seca next year.
Car might even be broken in by then.  
Where would I get invite from, my dealer? I want to mark the calendar now in black ink.

2013 Pearl Blue Black Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users