• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteBeast Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

WhiteBeast
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 301 posts
Anybody got any ideas for how to mount a front license plate on a 2010 GTR? Preferably by not having it off to the side and also not putting holes in the bumper. I saw the stillen one on there site might go that route but its still a little to far to the side for my taste. Any other options, perhaps on the screen below or something?

#2 seanm Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

seanm
  • Members
  • GTR Nerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
You don't really want to block the intercooler/radiator much.  Offset is about the best compromise.

Sean Morris

#3 M O N S T E R Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

M O N S T E R
  • Members
  • Knowledge is recession proof!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
Stillen has the best option out there for plate mounting, hands down.

#4 John Culter Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

John Culter
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 10 posts
Stillen did great job with US license plate, anyway in Europe for different plate dimensions, we still have to use double sided tape to stick it directly to the bumper (those who don't want screws to drill through bumper). Wish they can produce EU version too..

#5 Vapiano Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

Vapiano
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

View Postcpunlamd, on 04 July 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Stillen has the best option out there for plate mounting, hands down.

+1

2009 GT-R Premium Titanium SOLD

Posted Image
Dominus

#6 OneFastDoc Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

OneFastDoc
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 371 posts
I found his option that I might go with. It's a motorized retractable front plate mount.

http://www.hidetheplate.com/

Video of this on a GT-R

OneFastDoc

2012 GT-R delivered 6/7/11 (596whp, 586wtq on 100oct, now on E85 and making more hp!)
AMS DP, Cobb catted MP, GotBoost 3" intakes, ID1000 injectors, Cobb AP, SIR fuel pumps, on E85, custom tuned by Jon Drenas

2008 E90 M3

2007 E92 335i tuned w/ 430hp

2004 G35 Coupe

1991 300ZXTT tuned w/ 420hp

Posted Image

#7 WhiteBeast Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

WhiteBeast
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 301 posts
that looks awesome

#8 your girls next :-) Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

your girls next :-)
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 783 posts
I have the best option, LEAVE IT OFF :thumbsup:  I live in New Jersey and they are tough with that stuff. Been pulled over once and told the cop I didnt want to ruin the bumber. He was cool and let me go. At least try it and see what happens. Good luck brother

#9 M O N S T E R Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:28 PM

M O N S T E R
  • Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
There is virtually no clearance under the front lip, that placing that hide away license plate doodadd would be a disaster once you bottom out.

#10 seanm Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

seanm
  • Members
  • GTR Nerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

View Postyour girls next :-), on 07 July 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

I have the best option, LEAVE IT OFF :thumbsup:  I live in New Jersey and they are tough with that stuff. Been pulled over once and told the cop I didnt want to ruin the bumber. He was cool and let me go. At least try it and see what happens. Good luck brother

No one really likes the idea of a front plate, but sometimes you can't get away with it.  What has worked for some of my customers, is to keep it in the trunk, if you do get pulled over, something about taking it off for the "parking, track, etc", screw it back into the front and beg forgiveness.

Had some guys with no front plate in CA get tickets parked on the street in San Francisco.  I thought that was pretty harsh.

Sean Morris

#11 WhiteBeast Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

WhiteBeast
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 301 posts
Ya I think I'm just going to buy some strong adhesive tape and just tape it to the front bumper any thoughts? Or suggestions for the tape to be used?

#12 Necrotic Brain Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Necrotic Brain
  • "Shaitan"

• PipPip
  • 124 posts
i had the stillen device.  it worked great and was straight forward to install. but getting the main tow hook adapter part to sit snug without a special tool is difficult with out rubbing the wrech/spanner on the front bumper edge.  i finally did get it on.. but recently  somebody snagged my plate mount and bent it (A&^ Ho%^), and i couldn't get the plate mount off to straighten it (I mean the mount and not my plate. and after i got the tow-hook adapter  out the spring washer holding the mount to the tow hook adapter  reamed/warped the hole and loosened the mount plate. so now I cant get the mounting plate off at all because the Allen bolt that goes into the tow hook adapter is loc-tited as per original install instructions,  so the mount just swivels on the tow-hook adapter.  Another thing i noted was that the the mounting plate sits really close to the front bumper and when i put my license plate on with the supplied retaining nuts it bites into the front license plate.  Lucky I had a Clear bra under which got a little chewed up.  you either have to put extra washers to use up the extra length on the bolts or bend the entire mount forward so you get the clearance.   my point being. there are some issues with removing the mount or if you decided to try to replace the mount.  I may order another stillen mount.  but I ran into another product link below and will give it a shot. I hope this helps the next person make a better decision about this product.

http://www.rhoplate....cts-Nissan.html

will post about the new product i've ordered.

Kall-Mission, TX
2012 Jet Black Premium GTR

Car Kit Company Front and Rear Camera
Car Kit Company Pug and Play Remote Start
GotBoost: 3" intakes/SIR 1000cc Injectors/GTC Catless Downpipes
AAM Competition: Upper Inter-cooler kit with Tial QR Bovs/AAM Competition: Resonated Midpipe (Twin 3"(76mm) to Single 3.5"(90mm) Design)
AAM Competition: 90mm Sport Exhaust
EcuTek-Visconti Flex Fuel Kit with Tune
Vossen CV3 20x9/20x11 on Michelin PSS 255/40/20 Front 295/35ZR20 Rear
Transmission upgrades: Kansai 1.5way Rear LSD installed by JMS Racing and Front Transfer Case upgraded by Jacks transmission
IMG_1932.jpg

#13 superlubricity Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

superlubricity
  • 2013 GT-R

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
another alternative  -> http://www.gominigo.com/Nissan.html

#14 Python Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:20 AM

Python
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts
I didn't realize the ugly the front plate looked until I clicked the above link.

#15 gfunk808 Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

gfunk808
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

View PostNecrotic Brain, on 31 December 2012 - 10:07 AM, said:

http://www.rhoplate....cts-Nissan.html

will post about the new product i've ordered.

any addt'l info on these other products?

#16 Soccerking3000 Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Soccerking3000
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
you can do what i did and hack up the front plate.  I know its not legal but its better than nothing and looks much better than the whole plate.  The frame has since been powder coated
Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 M O N S T E R Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

M O N S T E R
  • Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts
^^ That wouldn't ride at all. Not only would we still get a ticket, but you'd need to get new plates and registration for the new plates.

#18 Soccerking3000 Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Soccerking3000
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
I think if a cop at least sees something on the front you're better off than nothing at all that's why it's there

Posted Image

#19 txilla Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

txilla
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 383 posts
I dont think it looks that bad

Attached Thumbnails

• frontgtr.jpg

2013 premium. DIY mods: 3M clear bra (do not recommend as a DIY project). Stillen skid plate. Stillen front plate holder. Plasti dipped front and back spoilers and side skirts.
SBD 700 with Titanium exhaust and mid pipe, SBD ported intake Manifold, SBD intercooler. Cobb AP. Tune by Brad Golden.

#20 Necrotic Brain Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

Necrotic Brain
  • "Shaitan"

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

View Postgfunk808, on 19 February 2013 - 01:06 AM, said:

any addt'l info on these other products?
I installed the Rho plates on my vehicle. It's been Lmost 3 months. And it's. a great product. And does not involve using any loctite. Like the stillen product.  I'm very happy with it.  And it's cheaper.  It was shipped from from Canada.  Here's a pic ImageUploadedByGT-R Life1361884281.222679.jpg

Kall-Mission, TX
2012 Jet Black Premium GTR

Car Kit Company Front and Rear Camera
Car Kit Company Pug and Play Remote Start
GotBoost: 3" intakes/SIR 1000cc Injectors/GTC Catless Downpipes
AAM Competition: Upper Inter-cooler kit with Tial QR Bovs/AAM Competition: Resonated Midpipe (Twin 3"(76mm) to Single 3.5"(90mm) Design)
AAM Competition: 90mm Sport Exhaust
EcuTek-Visconti Flex Fuel Kit with Tune
Vossen CV3 20x9/20x11 on Michelin PSS 255/40/20 Front 295/35ZR20 Rear
Transmission upgrades: Kansai 1.5way Rear LSD installed by JMS Racing and Front Transfer Case upgraded by Jacks transmission
IMG_1932.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users