28 replies to this topic

#1 FQM

FQM

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I've recently taken the rear bumper off our GTR so I figure I share some how-to info.
1. Remove trunk side panels (all plastic clips)
Posted Image
2. Second you need to remove the bumper lower cover..there are 10mm bolts on each side of the lower cover behind the wheel well cover...there are also a series of plastic clips. Indicated by green arrows.
Posted Image
3. Start by removing the the 10mm bolts on left and right side of bumper behind the wheel liners, and also some more plastic clips. Indicated by green arrows
Posted Image
Posted Image
4. Now you need to take all the nuts off the tail lights (6 total, 3 per tail light)...on far left and right corner of each bumper are 4 nuts holding the rear bumper on...you have to reach behind the trunk and remove the 8mm nuts holding the rear bumper on corner (indicated by green arrows)
Posted Image
5. Now you can pull the sides of the bumper outward to popped them off the guides....then before you pull the bumper toward the back...there are four yellow clips along the top of the bumper that you need to undo ( I used a pocket flat head screw driver for this)
Posted Image

Now the rear bumper is off...you can change the side markers or the bumper it self. Hope this help...Cheers :) :thumbsup:

#2 shingtr

shingtr

R32 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

+1 for great write up! Thx!
SOLD - 10 SS

#3 TodZilla

TodZilla

GoldMember

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

Awesome job!

Total time to remove for one person?
2011 Nissan GTR Gun Metallic
Switzer P800
Switzer Premium 90MM Stainless Steel Exhaust
Switzer Engine Cooling Package
Cobb AccessPort

H&R Springs
Custom Pine Tree Air Freshener from AutoZone

ADV 10 Deep Concave Wheels with Pirelli P Zero Nero Tires 355/25-21 / 285/30-21 Titek Lugnuts

Posted Image

#4 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

I didn't have to remove the lower bumper cover when I did it.

ETA: If you're doing this to replace the rear side markers, you don't actually need to pull the bumper all the way off. You can do one side at a time.

Edited by audioenvy, 26 September 2012 - 08:13 AM.

Flex fuel 8-second street car tuned by Bill @ SprayItRacing

#5 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

If you know exactly where all the bolts/screws are and your hands are small enough that you can do the wheel well stuff without jacking up the car and removing the rear wheels then I would say an hour. I suspect with your lowered car you will need to remove the rear wheels to get at the wheel well screws.

#6 Vapiano

Vapiano

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Great write up! Thanks for posting!
2009 GT-R Premium Titanium SOLD

Posted Image
Dominus

#7 FQM

FQM

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Awesome job!

Should take around little less than 1 hr to have it removed. I recommend taping all the corners to prevent mishap (scratches)

#8 TodZilla

TodZilla

GoldMember

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Should take around little less than 1 hr to have it removed. I recommend taping all the corners to prevent mishap (scratches)

Yep I saw that in the pics. Good stuff.

Thanks!
Switzer P800
Cobb AccessPort

H&R Springs

ADV 10 Deep Concave Wheels with Pirelli P Zero Nero Tires 355/25-21 / 285/30-21 Titek Lugnuts

Posted Image

#9 M O N S T E R

M O N S T E R

Knowledge is recession proof!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

I didn't have to remove the lower bumper cover when I did it.

ETA: If you're doing this to replace the rear side markers, you don't actually need to pull the bumper all the way off. You can do one side at a time.

Any tips in doing this your way? I'm about to try to install the rear clear side markers.

#10 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

FQM's write up and pictures are great. I just didn't need to remove the lower bumper (step 2 above) and because I only peeled back each side (one at a time) far enough to get at the markers I didn't need to disconnect the yellow clips (step 5 above).

#11 FQM

FQM

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

The rear bumper are pretty flexible, I'm sure you can flex it enough to take the (2) 10mm that holds the side marker in place. We took our lower bumper valance out because we replacing with with a cf ones :)

#12 TodZilla

TodZilla

GoldMember

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:34 PM

If you know exactly where all the bolts/screws are and your hands are small enough that you can do the wheel well stuff without jacking up the car and removing the rear wheels then I would say an hour. I suspect with your lowered car you will need to remove the rear wheels to get at the wheel well screws.

Is that an underhanded poke at lowered cars? I know how you feel about lowering. :)
Switzer P800
Cobb AccessPort

H&R Springs

Posted Image

#13 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Is that an underhanded poke at lowered cars? I know how you feel about lowering. :)

No way, man. I want to lower mine! I'm just waiting for you guys to figure out the camber issue and then tell me what to do.

I'm also waiting for all of the driveways and speed bumps in my city to flatten out.

#14 TodZilla

TodZilla

GoldMember

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

No way, man. I want to lower mine! I'm just waiting for you guys to figure out the camber issue and then tell me what to do.

I'm also waiting for all of the driveways and speed bumps in my city to flatten out.

Words of a very wise man. I was actually present to personally hear him say this:
"If you lower your car the control arms will no longer be parallel to the ground anymore like they were originally designed to be"
(quote may not necessarily be verbatim)

I have my suspension dialed in now. I'll sell you the top secret info on the correction for a good price. :lol:
Switzer P800
Cobb AccessPort

H&R Springs

Posted Image

#15 audioenvy

audioenvy

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

I have my suspension dialed in now. I'll sell you the top secret info on the correction for a good price. :lol:

I saw your thread. It's on my wish list. So are those wheels!

#16 Dyjo1

Dyjo1

I'll eat you like a KitKat woo who

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks FQM, this diy was what I needed.
2009 Nissan GT-R Premium: 10.498 @ 131.050 MPH On Michelin PSS
Shift S3ctor 1/2 Mile 10/5/13 162.6 mph
GT-R 650 EcuTek JV Tuned

#17 FQM

FQM

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks FQM, this diy was what I needed.

You're welcome. I'll make more DIY....

#18 Dave@GotboostPerformance

Dave@GotboostPerformance

SpecV Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,586 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

Nice write-up!

I thinks it's great when people post diy's.
'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.gtrlife.c...__fromsearch__1

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
dave@gotboostperformance.com
email and paypal

Posted Image

#19 Mirror D

Mirror D

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Little late to this thread, but was using it tonight to try and remove the rear bumper off one of my customers cars for some work. But going by your guide...you cannot get to everything. At step 2, there is no way to remove the 10mm bolts without jacking the car up and removing the wheels. Then, you also cannot get to the pull tabs on the upper portion of the lower panel (Step 2) without removing the bumper. I screwed with it for about 45 minutes before giving up. Since I do not have a low enough jack to jack the car up, I cannot remove the wheels yet. Even looking at with the wheels on, once I remove all the lower pull clips and then the clips on the wheel well cover, you can only see one of the 10mm bolts. Which is a long bolt that doesn't come apart from the upper section of the bumper.

Now unless your steps are backwards on 2 and 3, I do not see how you managed the bumper off with the wheels on. The car I have is slightly lowered, but not lowered enough were I cannot get my hand behind the wheel well covering. I only saw 1 of the 3 10mm bolts in picture 3 and that bolt when taken off, doesn't allow the lower section to separate. The other 2 bolts I could not find. So...any advice? lol
I do amazing things!

#20 descartesfool

descartesfool

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:09 AM

Little late to this thread, but was using it tonight to try and remove the rear bumper off one of my customers cars for some work. But going by your guide...you cannot get to everything. At step 2, there is no way to remove the 10mm bolts without jacking the car up and removing the wheels. Then, you also cannot get to the pull tabs on the upper portion of the lower panel (Step 2) without removing the bumper. I screwed with it for about 45 minutes before giving up. Since I do not have a low enough jack to jack the car up, I cannot remove the wheels yet. Even looking at with the wheels on, once I remove all the lower pull clips and then the clips on the wheel well cover, you can only see one of the 10mm bolts. Which is a long bolt that doesn't come apart from the upper section of the bumper.

Now unless your steps are backwards on 2 and 3, I do not see how you managed the bumper off with the wheels on. The car I have is slightly lowered, but not lowered enough were I cannot get my hand behind the wheel well covering. I only saw 1 of the 3 10mm bolts in picture 3 and that bolt when taken off, doesn't allow the lower section to separate. The other 2 bolts I could not find. So...any advice? lol

Take the wheels off. Drive the car over a couple of pieces of wood so your jack will clear the jack points. Loosen wheels nuts a little. Jack car up. Lower onto two jack stands for safety. Remove wheels. Finish bumper job. Reverse first part. Voila!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users