Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Remote start using oem key

89K views 665 replies 140 participants last post by  thesteve1 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone has tried doing this using directed or any other kit really.

They have equipment for it but it doesn't work on edm gtrs at present.

#8 ·
I'd like to know how this can get done though mine (as most GTR owners imo) is rarely out in the elements ...

#9 ·
my autostart works by pressing lock three times repeatedly

#10 ·
That's how mine is supposed to work.

There's a module that looks for three lock signals on the canbus then tells the starter module to fire the car.

My iPhone remote start works perfectly but the new module cannot read from the canbus as it needs to.

This is odd because I used to have a viper alarm from directed that would be armed/disarmed by sensing the lock signal on the canbus generated by the standard key, dok didn't need to use the viper remote.

Now I just use my iPhone start, but I'd love to be able to use the stock key as the hardware is supposed to allow.

Directed's technical people are in Romania, not the us, and they think there's a difference us to edm, but I don't think so. I figure if soe figures it out stateside I stand a chance of making it work in the uk.

It's not a common mod over here.

#12 ·
talk to my friend that is doin it for me he say u do have to press the lock 3 time..ill get more info when he do mine tomorrow

#20 ·
Hmmm, been reading about this for the past hour or so trying to figure it out. Seems most solutions require a bypass system with an aftermarket remote start system (2 boxes). iDatalink supposedly makes the better bypasses, but as mentioned they require a remote starter. They have one bypass system called RS Firmware which doesn't require the remote start system, but Nissan isn't listed. For Directed (or xpresskit) it appears that the DB-ALL RSR works for the GT-R. Thus you get a bypass and don't need the separate remote starter as the programming for it (using an oem keyfob) is already in the bypass. See link ==> http://xpresskit.com/DocumentDownload.aspx?documentid=7534&productid=461&firmwareid=3266

#24 ·
Hmmm, been reading about this for the past hour or so trying to figure it out. Seems most solutions require a bypass system with an aftermarket remote start system (2 boxes). iDatalink supposedly makes the better bypasses, but as mentioned they require a remote starter. They have one bypass system called RS Firmware which doesn't require the remote start system, but Nissan isn't listed. For Directed (or xpresskit) it appears that the DB-ALL RSR works for the GT-R. Thus you get a bypass and don't need the separate remote starter as the programming for it (using an oem keyfob) is already in the bypass. See link ==> http://xpresskit.com...firmwareid=3266
This is what I have - the RSR from directed, but I know for sure I have two distinct modules. the second one I assume being the iphone remote module with the sim card built in.

#23 ·
I've ditched the Viper part of my install, but I still have the remote start, monitoring and diagnostics via the directed iphone app.

My next step is to get the remote start to work on the standard key, but ultimately I don't need it as I always have my iphone with me. The iphone takes about 8 seconds to start the car, the three button press would be instant.

To the guy who asked me what I have in my car already, I have asked my installer by text message, and several days later, I'm still waiting to hear.

#26 ·
Wait a sec, I thought even with the DB-ALL you still need the remote start module for the remote start portion, the DB-ALL is just for connection to the CANBUS, if you read the installation manual, it seems like DB-ALL is tying into the remote start module somehow, which means, you still need to get a basic remote start system even if you want to use your OEM fob. Correct?

installation manual here: http://xpresskit.com/DocumentDownload.aspx?documentid=7569&productid=461&firmwareid=3266

#28 ·
Wait a sec, I thought even with the DB-ALL you still need the remote start module for the remote start portion, the DB-ALL is just for connection to the CANBUS, if you read the installation manual, it seems like DB-ALL is tying into the remote start module somehow, which means, you still need to get a basic remote start system even if you want to use your OEM fob. Correct?

installation manual here: http://xpresskit.com...firmwareid=3266
That's the non-RSR version. If you click the install manual in my post you'll see that there is no remote start system...it's built into the DB-ALL.

#33 ·
^^^ you definitely need a seperate module for smart phone connectivity, but DB-ALL supposedly able to remote start using OEM key without a full alarm system.

Honestly I am still a bit confused on what is definitely needed to make it work, and what function/features comes with what unit. The more I read, the more I am confused, even the installation manual itself is ambiguous. DB-All is not expensive at all, I will just bite the bullet and try it out, the worst part of this whole thing is that I might need to cut some OEM wires, that's the most I hate, unless I can find some OEM connectors.

#35 ·
Thanks for the info and confirmation. Did you install yourself? If you did I would be interested in talking if you are willing, as I'm looking to make it easier for folks to install with some plug and play harnesses.

#36 ·
ok so i figured out that i just need the db-all and the programming module to make it work on the gtr. the wiring doesnt look too complicated and easily reversible

does anyone have an account to activate the smartstart module? it appears that you need a dealer account to do that =(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.