12 replies to this topic

#1 ALDEEM Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts
Hello,

I have just received my Cobb AP today and I am planing to use Cobb's off the shelf maps for a while.
When I accessed the maps page in Cobb's website, I have found different maps for the different fuel octane rating.

I am from Qatar, and here we have 95 and 97 octane fuel ratings, but Cobb only offer 93 and 91 Octane maps, and there is another rating
which is RON, so in the website it says
91 OCT = 95 RON
93 OCT = 97 RON

When I looked in Wikipedia, it says that in Saudi Arabia they use RON rating, and they have 93 and 95 RON rating (Which should be the same as the rating in Qatar but I am not sure).

So, now I am confused, which fuel rating we have in Qatar??? and which map should I use? is it safe to use a 93 octane map and use 97 octane (or RON, not sure) fuel?

Best wishes and thanks for the help :)
Mohammed

2009 Nissan GT-R, GotBoost 3" intakes, ID1000 injectors, GFB BOV, Agency Power DP, GotBoost Catted mid pipe, HKS Legamax exhaust, 93 Oct Cobb tuning by TSM. ~ 550 BHP
1968 Ford Mustang cupe, 302 5.0L stroked to 347, 406 BHP
2009 Toyota Land Cruiser LC200, Stock, 270 BHP

#2 max_R35 Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

max_R35
  • ME MODERATOR
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
Welcome to the forum Mohammed

You have figured it out already

Use the 97 octane fuel for the 93 octane map

In the near future get an e-tune from one of the vendors which will be better suited for your car than an OTS tune, especially with summer right around the corner

1st Series II Gulf Spec GT-R Black, Black/Red

Engine/Drivetrain:
Cobb AP-NIS-006, Custom Dyno Tune: Ben @ GTC, GTC 4" Ti Exhaust, GTC Turbo Inlet Pipe, GTC 80mm Intake, AMS catless DP, AMS Intercooler, Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors, HKS spark plugs, HKS Actuators, Cobb Silicon Hoses, Cobb XLE BPV, GBP SD Kit B, SIR 265LPH pumps, Castrol Engine Oil, Dodson Transmission and Diff Fluid, Willall Transmission Cooler + Sump, Willall Engine Sump, Willall Diff Coolers, AAM Engine Oil Cooler, CBRD Radiator, Carbing Coolant Overflow Tank, Samco Radiator Hoses, Dodson 60C Thermostat, Dodson Sportsman Kit + Extras, Michelin PSS 295/35/20 Square

Visual:
Stillen Front License Plate Bracket, Yoshi/RevoZport DN Duckbill CF Trunk, GT-RR CF Steering Wheel, Fringe XVO Afterburner tips, SMS Design & Performance Spec Mi CF Engine Cover # 9of10, Carbon Dry AC surround and door handles, Rexpeed Mirrors, Emblems, Carbon Side Emblem Cover and Carbon Hood Dampers, Matte Black VR G2 F20x10 R20x11

View PostAMS, on May 18 2010, 04:52 PM, said:

We rarely are the first to market on the product but in our eyes we always produce the best product when we do finally release it :)

#3 ALDEEM Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

View Postmax_R35, on 23 March 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Welcome to the forum Mohammed

You have figured it out already

Use the 97 octane fuel for the 93 octane map

In the near future get an e-tune from one of the vendors which will be better suited for your car than an OTS tune, especially with summer right around the corner

Thank you so much for the reply.

So does that mean we use RON rating in Qatar?
And what is wrong with OTS maps in summer time? O.o I will install a Dadson thermostat.

2009 Nissan GT-R, GotBoost 3" intakes, ID1000 injectors, GFB BOV, Agency Power DP, GotBoost Catted mid pipe, HKS Legamax exhaust, 93 Oct Cobb tuning by TSM. ~ 550 BHP

#4 max_R35 Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

max_R35
  • ME MODERATOR
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
Yes the Gulf countries use RON in measuring the octane rating

The OTS map is universal. However, high intake temperatures that are specific to our region isn't really captured and you may get some knock/detonation in the summer

Moreover, to really get full benefit from the Dodson thermostat you need to adjust the radiator fan operating temp which needs to be done by a tuner

Engine/Drivetrain:
Cobb AP-NIS-006, Custom Dyno Tune: Ben @ GTC, GTC 4" Ti Exhaust, GTC Turbo Inlet Pipe, GTC 80mm Intake, AMS catless DP, AMS Intercooler, Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors, HKS spark plugs, HKS Actuators, Cobb Silicon Hoses, Cobb XLE BPV, GBP SD Kit B, SIR 265LPH pumps, Castrol Engine Oil, Dodson Transmission and Diff Fluid, Willall Transmission Cooler + Sump, Willall Engine Sump, Willall Diff Coolers, AAM Engine Oil Cooler, CBRD Radiator, Carbing Coolant Overflow Tank, Samco Radiator Hoses, Dodson 60C Thermostat, Dodson Sportsman Kit + Extras, Michelin PSS 295/35/20 Square

Visual:
Stillen Front License Plate Bracket, Yoshi/RevoZport DN Duckbill CF Trunk, GT-RR CF Steering Wheel, Fringe XVO Afterburner tips, SMS Design & Performance Spec Mi CF Engine Cover # 9of10, Carbon Dry AC surround and door handles, Rexpeed Mirrors, Emblems, Carbon Side Emblem Cover and Carbon Hood Dampers, Matte Black VR G2 F20x10 R20x11

We rarely are the first to market on the product but in our eyes we always produce the best product when we do finally release it :)

#5 ALDEEM Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts
Since summer is coming in the next few DAYS :headshake:
I think I shouldn't use OTS maps or just use it for few days, and I am not planing to get an e-tune until I get new injectors and pumps, which will take sometime.

So is there any way to install LC5/LC6 without installing the ECU tune? I have the stock LC1 on my GT-R and I don't even think about touching the VDC switch until I get the LC updated lol

#6 alexdavis Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

alexdavis
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

View PostALDEEM, on 23 March 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Since summer is coming in the next few DAYS :headshake:
I think I shouldn't use OTS maps or just use it for few days, and I am not planing to get an e-tune until I get new injectors and pumps, which will take sometime.

So is there any way to install LC5/LC6 without installing the ECU tune? I have the stock LC1 on my GT-R and I don't even think about touching the VDC switch until I get the LC updated lol

What year car do you have Mohammed?  Do you need injectors and pumps if you're staying essentially stock and using 93 octane (not E85, etc.)?

The CobbAP 006 version can flash the higher LCs, but launch RPM is dependent upon the ECU flash.

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 23 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

Posted Image

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 (10.483@131.70)
CobbAP006, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3" intakes, ID1000, FF ported manifold, AMS Dyno-tuned by Chris Black
Front camera, Running lights on w/headlights, Whistler remote RADAR, Reverse beeper eliminator
(Upgrade to Alpha 9...more to come)

#7 ALDEEM Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

View Postalexdavis, on 23 March 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

What year car do you have Mohammed?  Do you need injectors and pumps if you're staying essentially stock and using 93 octane (not E85, etc.)?

The CobbAP 006 version can flash the higher LCs, but launch RPM is dependent upon the ECU flash.

Alexd

I have a 2009 US spec, now I have A mid-pipe, intake and a cat back, but the installer is busy for the next two weeks, so I was thinking about starting with Cobb's stage 1 stock intake map, and then move to stage 2 big FS map when I install all the parts, and get an e-tune when I install the injectors and the pumps (which I will buy later).

For the LC, I want the stock LC5 or LC6, just want to launch it safely without damaging the transmission, but when you say the RPM will not change without an ECU tune, do you mean "for example" when I install LC2 it will still launch at 4300 RPM as in LC1? If this is the case, I can avoid using launch control, but at least I want the update and I cannot find the option in the AP I only see the ECU maps. Should I install stage 0 in order to update the LC without the ECU?

#8 Magnumpsi Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Magnumpsi
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts
I would suggest using the Stage 1 map for now. If you are worried about the way it runs please feel free to email the GTR Experts and we can help to get you sorted till you get all the parts installed.

If you have questions feel free to email me.

mitch.mckee@cobbtuning.com

Thanks

Mitch Mckee
R&D Calibrator/Reverse Engineer

#9 ALDEEM Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

View PostMagnumpsi, on 23 March 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

I would suggest using the Stage 1 map for now. If you are worried about the way it runs please feel free to email the GTR Experts and we can help to get you sorted till you get all the parts installed.

If you have questions feel free to email me.

Thanks

Thank you so much, I will install stage 1 tomorrow and I will let you know if I am having any issues (I hope not :) )

Thanks

#10 alexdavis Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

alexdavis
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

View PostALDEEM, on 23 March 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

I have a 2009 US spec, now I have A mid-pipe, intake and a cat back, but the installer is busy for the next two weeks, so I was thinking about starting with Cobb's stage 1 stock intake map, and then move to stage 2 big FS map when I install all the parts, and get an e-tune when I install the injectors and the pumps (which I will buy later).

For the LC, I want the stock LC5 or LC6, just want to launch it safely without damaging the transmission, but when you say the RPM will not change without an ECU tune, do you mean "for example" when I install LC2 it will still launch at 4300 RPM as in LC1? If this is the case, I can avoid using launch control, but at least I want the update and I cannot find the option in the AP I only see the ECU maps. Should I install stage 0 in order to update the LC without the ECU?

I see; you're anticipating significant changes.   As far as I'm aware though, your primary first concerns will be saturation of your MAF sensors and maxing duration of the stock injectors, and not necessarily needing any aftermarket pumps.   As to your question about LCs...I don't know, having a 2012 myself and I'm running LC5 v102.   I was under the impression that 2009 cars didn't launch at 4300, or anything near it.  The stock ECU (2012) allows 4100 for LC4; your tuner can adjust this (with the ECU flash) to anything else you might want (I'm trying out 4500 as soon as the weather here gets warm enough).  There are any number of people here that know more than I do about this, but you also have the option of contacting Cobb directly; they've always been nice to me.

Alexd

Edited by alexdavis, 23 March 2013 - 07:59 PM.

Posted Image

2012 Gun-Metal GT-R Alpha 6 (10.483@131.70)
CobbAP006, AAM mid-pipe, Gotboost 3" intakes, ID1000, FF ported manifold, AMS Dyno-tuned by Chris Black
Front camera, Running lights on w/headlights, Whistler remote RADAR, Reverse beeper eliminator
(Upgrade to Alpha 9...more to come)

#11 ALDEEM Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:36 AM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

View Postalexdavis, on 23 March 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

I see; you're anticipating significant changes.   As far as I'm aware though, your primary first concerns will be saturation of your MAF sensors and maxing duration of the stock injectors, and not necessarily needing any aftermarket pumps.   As to your question about LCs...I don't know, having a 2012 myself and I'm running LC5 v102.   I was under the impression that 2009 cars didn't launch at 4300, or anything near it.  The stock ECU (2012) allows 4100 for LC4; your tuner can adjust this (with the ECU flash) to anything else you might want (I'm trying out 4500 as soon as the weather here gets warm enough).  There are any number of people here that know more than I do about this, but you also have the option of contacting Cobb directly; they've always been nice to me.

Alexd

Injectors will be changed, any suggested solutions about MAF sensors?

For LC, according to the following link
http://www.2009gtr.c...ontrol-for.html

LC1 = 4500 RPM
LC2 = 3000 - 3500 RPM
LC3 = 3300 RPM
LC4 = 4000 RPM

But LC1 was very aggressive on the clutch.

Since Magnumpsi suggested Stage 1 map, I will install it and will contact him if there are any issues.

Thanks

#12 max_R35 Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

max_R35
  • ME MODERATOR
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
Use the LC5 or LC4 maps as they have smoother shifts and a better launch configuration

Stick to the Stage1 OTS until you get a proper tune

Stock turbos do not need fuel pumps especially with 93 octane fuel (Out of experience)

MAF sensors do not need any modifications, a bigger intake is the solution for the MAF saturation issue

I am always available on PM if you need any assistance regarding sourcing parts or any GTR issues within the region

Engine/Drivetrain:

Visual:

#13 ALDEEM Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:50 AM

ALDEEM
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

View Postmax_R35, on 24 March 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

Use the LC5 or LC4 maps as they have smoother shifts and a better launch configuration

Stick to the Stage1 OTS until you get a proper tune

Stock turbos do not need fuel pumps especially with 93 octane fuel (Out of experience)

MAF sensors do not need any modifications, a bigger intake is the solution for the MAF saturation issue

I am always available on PM if you need any assistance regarding sourcing parts or any GTR issues within the region

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.

Since stock pumps are enough, I will stick to them, that should save some money hehe.

I will let you know if I am having any issues :)

Thanks

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users