#21 godzila2009 Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

godzila2009
  • Members
  • R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
+1

2009 Super Silver.
Accelerated Performance custom 4.1L Sonny Bryan Billet Crank build.
Accelerated Performance Racing Heads / Cams.
Sheptrans Fully built stage4 Tranny/ Promax clutch/ 1-6 PPG updated gears/ all misc.
Driveshaft Shop 33 spline Axles
Driveshaft Shop Rear Axle Stubs.
ETS Modified Racing Intercooler / Tial bovs.
Greddy Big Bore Throttle Bodies
BL Intake Manifold 12 Injector setup.
GTC Titan 104mm Titanium Exhaust.
AAM 3 PUMP E85/E98 Fuel System/ Fuel rails.
ID1000/ID2000 Injectors.
SYVECS S8 Ecu tuned by Chris Black AMS and ME!! lol
AMS Alpha 16 Turbo Kit.
8.7 sec STREET CAR.
4175lbs

#22 ATL_GT-R Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

ATL_GT-R
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • <"))))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

View PostVEGASGTR, on 31 July 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

+1. I would have the builder fix this shit.

Or at a bare minimum not taken it to the vendor that has built the least amount if engines (respectfully, by virtue if time).

TSM l Alpha12 8 second street car ~~ gone but not forgotten
LP570-4 Superleggera
Diablo Roadster
Fiat 500 Abarth

#23 Grunt0322 Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

Grunt0322
  • The Antagonist

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
In for details.

- "I am not the first in anything nor the fastest in any category because I don't have a small penis."

#24 HighlanderD Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

HighlanderD
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

View PostATL_GT-R, on 31 July 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

Or at a bare minimum not taken it to the vendor that has built the least amount if engines (respectfully, by virtue if time).
I can appreciate that.  I'm local to the customer and he's a friend of a friend.  Also, the machinists we use to machine the engines and inspect the blocks have built many, many engines ;)

First Person to Ever Remove a GT-R Drivetrain in their own garage

#25 ATL_GT-R Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

ATL_GT-R
  • <"))))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

View PostDoug@WGP, on 31 July 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

I can appreciate that.  I'm local to the customer and he's a friend of a friend.  Also, the machinists we use to machine the engines and inspect the blocks have built many, many engines ;)

Fair enough.  Best of luck and thank you for not taking that the wrong way because I didn't say it as well as I could have.

TSM l Alpha12 8 second street car ~~ gone but not forgotten
LP570-4 Superleggera
Diablo Roadster
Fiat 500 Abarth

#26 HighlanderD Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

HighlanderD
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

View PostATL_GT-R, on 31 July 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Fair enough.  Best of luck and thank you for not taking that the wrong way because I didn't say it as well as I could have.
No worries.  I'm on the customer's side always.  I don't play inter-shop politic games.  In fact, I'd never even heard of where this work was done.

#27 GTR545 Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

GTR545
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
That's amazing that you have never heard of the place. You probably know lots of builders out their.

Tony
East Charlotte Nissan

#28 HighlanderD Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

HighlanderD
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts
The facts as we know them are as follow:

1.  A shop built this vehicle for the customer with a built motor, built trans, AAM900 turbos, and supporting mods.
2. The shop delivered the car back to the customer with less than 20 miles on the new motor, and upon the first drive, the car displayed no oil pressure on the MFD.
3. Shortly thereafter, the low oil light came on in the car and it developed a knocking noise from the engine.
4. The car was shut down and delivered to us in this condition.

I'm sure there is a lot more to the story, but this is what we know right now.

Here's what we found on the initial inspection and removal of the engine from the car.

1. The BCM module harness connector was not locked down in the ECU compartment.
2. We removed the oil pan and there was a large amount of bearing material in it.
3. Several body components were missing, including the front undertrays, front tunnel support brace, and rear exhaust heat shield for the trans cooler.
4. The car was equipped with a Air to Water Intercooler with a tank in the exhaust muffler area and 10AN lines running to the front of the car.  These lines ran through the transmission tunnel, and were rubbing the driveshafts, exhaust, and axles to the point of failure in several areas with minimal support.
5. The battery support bracket was missing, and a non-oem battery was being held down with twine.
6. The passenger marker light harness was disconnected and zip-tied to the oil cooler.
7. The foam bumper support was broken and secured to the car with painter's tape
8. The main structural braces on both sides of the car that secure the front carbon clip to the steel frame of the car in the fenderwells were missing.
9. The intercooler piping utilized V-Band clamps with permatex on them, which I've never seen before, and doubt that they were air tight.
10. Permatex Black was used on the threads of all AN fittings.
11. The radiator and overflow tank were filled with bearing material.
12.  The front passenger ABS harness was broken and the wires were pinned directly into the female side of the harness.
13.  The T1 Fuel rail feed had been tapped to accept an AN to NPT fitting, with PTFE paste on the threads, which appeared to be leaking.
14.  The wastegate adjustment arms had been welded together.
15. The turbo drains had been zip-tied to the body and were rubbing on the front axle stubs.
16. One of the lower intercooler couplers was ripped.
17. The exhaust manifold gaskets were missing on both sides, and instead high temp rubber gasket sealer was used.  This appeared to be leaking on the passenger side.
18. The Driver side upper control arm bolt was stripped out.
19.  The PCV system had been deleted, and the PCV outlets on the valve covers had been removed, tapped for 6AN, and were open to atmosphere.
20.  The front bumper support clips under the sides of the headlights were missing.
21.  The front diffuser support brackets to the crash beam were missing.
22.  Various misc. body fasteners and trim were missing.
23.  The driver side frame had been clearanced to avoid contact with the wastegate actuator on the turbo.

Edited by Doug@WGP, 31 July 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#29 HighlanderD Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

HighlanderD
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts
Here are the pics we've taken so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5014.JPG
  • IMG_5015.JPG
  • IMG_5016.JPG
  • IMG_5017.JPG
  • IMG_5018.JPG
  • IMG_5019.JPG
  • IMG_5020.JPG
  • IMG_5021.JPG
  • IMG_5022.JPG
  • IMG_5023.JPG
  • IMG_5024.JPG
  • IMG_5025.JPG
  • IMG_5026.JPG
  • IMG_5027.JPG
  • IMG_5028.JPG
  • IMG_5029.JPG
  • IMG_5030.JPG
  • IMG_5031.JPG
  • IMG_5032.JPG
  • IMG_5033.JPG
  • IMG_5034.JPG
  • IMG_5035.JPG
  • IMG_5036.JPG
  • IMG_5037.JPG
  • IMG_5038.JPG
  • IMG_5039.JPG

#30 Soopastank Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

Soopastank
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 233 posts
Good Lord!! Poor car and poor owner. That is incredible that a shop could do something like that  :lame:  

View PostDoug@WGP, on 31 July 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

1.  A shop built this vehicle for the customer with a built motor, built trans, AAM900 turbos, and supporting mods.
2. The shop delivered the car back to the customer with less than 20 miles on the new motor, and upon the first drive, the car displayed no oil pressure on the MFD.
3. Shortly thereafter, the low oil light came on in the car and it developed a knocking noise from the engine.

Here's what we found on the initial inspection and removal of the engine from the car.

2. We removed the oil pan and there was a large amount of bearing material in it.
3. Several body components were missing, including the front undertrays, front tunnel support brace, and rear exhaust heat shield for the trans cooler.
4. The car was equipped with a Air to Water Intercooler with a tank in the exhaust muffler area and 10AN lines running to the front of the car.  These lines ran through the transmission tunnel, and were rubbing the driveshafts, exhaust, and axles to the point of failure in several areas with minimal support.
5. The battery support bracket was missing, and a non-oem battery was being held down with twine.
6. The passenger marker light harness was disconnected and zip-tied to the oil cooler.
7. The foam bumper support was broken and secured to the car with painter's tape
8. The main structural braces on both sides of the car that secure the front carbon clip to the steel frame of the car in the fenderwells were missing.
9. The intercooler piping utilized V-Band clamps with permatex on them, which I've never seen before, and doubt that they were air tight.
12.  The front passenger ABS harness was broken and the wires were pinned directly into the female side of the harness.
13.  The T1 Fuel rail feed had been tapped to accept an AN to NPT fitting, with PTFE paste on the threads, which appeared to be leaking.
15. The turbo drains had been zip-tied to the body and were rubbing on the front axle stubs.
17. The exhaust manifold gaskets were missing on both sides, and instead high temp rubber gasket sealer was used.  This appeared to be leaking on the passenger side.
19.  The PCV system had been deleted, and the PCV outlets on the valve covers had been removed, tapped for 6AN, and were open to atmosphere.
20.  The front bumper support clips under the sides of the headlights were missing.

2011 Nissan GTR - 10 Second Car
2013 Audi S4 - The Daily
2008 Mercedes GL550 - Family Hauler

#31 superlubricity Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

superlubricity
  • 2013 GT-R

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
:jawdrop:

#32 Tachsman Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Tachsman
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
Based on the fact sheet above today should have been April 1!  That is incredible!

Edit: I forgot to ask, could the mechanics have been Larry, Darryl and Darryl?

Edited by Tachsman, 31 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

#33 GTR545 Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

GTR545
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Amazing. You see where I work, we get cars in like that once in a while. Can't believe some people.

#34 HighlanderD Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

HighlanderD
  • Members
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

View PostTachsman, on 31 July 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Based on the fact sheet above today should have been April 1!  That is incredible!
I think the build started around then? :-D

#35 sofar Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

sofar
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

View PostDoug@WGP, on 31 July 2013 - 09:15 PM, said:

23.  The driver side frame had been clearanced to avoid contact with the wastegate actuator on the turbo.

i dont even know how to change my oil, but im pretty sure thats not how you put together an engine and surrounding parts.

#36 Black Mammoth Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

Black Mammoth
  • GTR Hokie

• PipPip
  • 371 posts
I think that Doug's write up shows why the owner didn't take it back to the original shop. They are clearly incompetent.

#37 audioenvy Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

audioenvy
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
Ouch.

Edited by audioenvy, 31 July 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Flex fuel 8-second street car tuned by Bill @ SprayItRacing

#38 TheHitman™ Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

TheHitman™
  • The World Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,796 posts
I am glad that there are at least some good tuners/builders out there.

Looking at the problem it looks like the problem lies in the build and not the tune.

Posted Image

Violent Blue 2012 GT-R Black Edition

Burn Unit Original Member

Join the R35 GT-R owners group. Exclusive closed owners only group on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GTRLOG/

#39 MSIZZLE Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

MSIZZLE
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
This is unbelievable! how in the world does a shop that does this horrible work present it self in a impressive enough way to land a 15-20k job!!

#40 thehelix112 Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

thehelix112
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
At what point does a shop have a moral obligation to release the builder info so noone else is put in danger by that level of poor workmanship. Removing underbody braces? Deleting pcv?

Please encourage the owner to release the info, preferably by them joining this forum so they can speak directly to their experiences. Seems not that much of a stretch for things like this to wind up with people hurt.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users