- - - - -

Can a dealer sell a gtr without catalytic converters?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Mrmandudehat Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Mrmandudehat
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I bought a gtr from a dodge, Chrysler, jeep dealership in Florida. They shipped it all the way to California to me. They said the car was completely stock and passed their 125 point inspection: they said it is certified.  When the gtr arrived to ca, I took it to my local nissan dealership to have then check it out.  turns out there are no Catalytic converters on the car, ecu has been customly modified.  intakes have been replaced by 3rd party intakes, no sensors on the wheels.  why would they do lie like this?  What rights do I have here?  I didn't pay for this!

#2 Flash Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Flash
  • NAGTROC Certified Member
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
I believe a dealer CAN sell cars that are modded. I've seen plenty of dealers sell modded cars, but I think they have to list that it's modded.

GTR

Jeep SRT-8

#3 Tim@KaizenTuning Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

Tim@KaizenTuning
  • International Vendor
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts
I think this varies from state to state.

Anyways, I have a stock midpipe ( the middle catalytic converter ) available for sale from my own GTR. I would be happy to offer it to you for a good deal. Finding stock parts for your car should not be very difficult if you wish to have a completely stock car, most people do modify their GTR's and have extra stock parts leftover :wink:. Do you know which type of product your new GTR was tuned with? Cobb Accessport or Ecutek are two of the most popular options.

Tim

Kaizen Tuning LLC

STOP-Tober sales event going on NOW!
http://www.gtrlife.c...r-1st-oct-30th/

HKS Pro Dealer
Functional Aero From - Varis Japan, Zele Japan, Aeromotions
Brake components from - DBA, Alcon, Endless, AP Racing, Hawk
AMS Master Distributor / AMS Performance Center / Alpha Installer
SSP Installation Center, Master Distributor

Tim@KaizenTuning.com
PM me or email me for the best pricing on any parts!

#4 Marketplace Mod Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Marketplace Mod
  • Site Moderator
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
Pm sent.

Posted Image

They see me rollin they hatin.

#5 Mrmandudehat Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

Mrmandudehat
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
I guess, the question is, do I have the right to send it back and get a refund since they didn't disclose that it was modified?  I don't want the car

#6 BrianE Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

BrianE
  • Members
  • NAGTROC Newbie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Removing Cats on a road going car is against federal law. EPA law and there are fines involved.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using GT-R Life mobile app

#7 GotToRace Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

GotToRace
  • Members
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 375 posts
Dang bro. You should have some kind of rights if they listed it as stock and they did in fact lie about it. Especially if its a big name brand dealership.

On the flip side....most guys end up modding their cars and those are usually the first mods....so you a step ahead already with some $ in your pocket.  :)

#8 Jojipoji Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Jojipoji
  • R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,269 posts
It is a breach of contract as long as you have in writing that they specifically stated it was stock. You most certainly have part of your warranty that is void.
Look at your sales contract, there is probably an arbitration provision...

"The secret to a long successful marriage, is I haven't talked to my wife for a year now. I didn't want to interrupt her."

13 GTR intake, dp, midpipe, asnu, Cobb ap,
14 b8.5 s4 APR

#9 2swoosh Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

2swoosh
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
dealers will sell anything they can even their mothers best thing to do is to hire a counsel don't even bother calling them the right lawyer can do a lot for you especially if you truly don't want the car, lastly, get a lawyer on contingency because if u go to a litigation the dealer will pay your lawyer (that is if u win) so have him review your paperwork first. Good luck.btw, is it a new car dealer or a used car dealer? you have a much better chance if it was a new car dealer.

2010 GTR wrapped in black, Pro-Efi flex fuel,2.5+ tranny from NJ
03 996 tt DBB 5558s.,triple disc, 6 speed manual, ProEfi flex fuel
98 R34 GT T Skyline stock right hand drive
03 M5 66k stock black on black
88 Monte Carlo SS (GN powered 4.1, 76 BB), 2 GNs, 89 TTA
1990 R 32 GT-R twin turbo, awd,aws,built motor

#10 360CS Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

360CS
  • R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
Some shady dealers in Florida and the laws help them stay that way
When you buy from Florida be very very carefull

#11 Goonthree Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Goonthree
  • Egoist Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,777 posts
My friend was going to buy this white GTR and you bought it unseen.   Certified what?  Nissan don't offer certified like BMW.  Good luck in getting what you need, that is chances one take with used cars.

#12 acuteperformance Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

acuteperformance
  • Vendors
  • Acute Performance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts
Sorry to hear about this -- definitely sucks.  Next time, pay another dealership to do the inspection that way they are working for you.  How does the car drive?  When you had it inspected, did they notice anything that was off?  These cars are pretty bulletproof.  If it were me, I'd chalk it up as lesson learned and go out and enjoy the car.  It's not worth your time and energy to fight this.

SPECIAL PRICING:

Exclusive S. California ADV1 Wheels Dealer

Advan GT Premium Gloss Black in Stock

HKS Trans Cooler CBA - Clearance

iPE Innotech 90MM Valvetronic Exhaust

2015 Headlights & Tail lights in Stock

Klassen M52-R Wheels

Durement Steering Wheels in Stock

Hawk HPS Brake Pads + Review - Low Dust

Endless Brake Pads in Stock - MX72 & ME20

Enkei RS05RR Wheels 18x11

Advan GT 18x12 Drag Setup

TrackLab Pre-Preg Carbon Fiber Intake & I/C Piping

Advan RZ-DF Wheels

Acute Performance's entire mission statement is about providing top-notch customer service both during and after the sale. We understand that you already have your favorite company that you work with and are used to, all we ask is that you give us the chance to earn your business.

info@acuteperformance.com | 626-722-8881 | AIM: acuteperformance

MY MODS: '12 Turbo Inlet, 1000cc ID Injectors, 3" AMS Catless DP, Cobb Catted Midpipe, HKS Legamax Exhaust, 2.75" Intake, EcuTek Tune, Klassen M52-R 20" Wheels, Wald Rear Diffuser, CF Rear Wing.

#13 GTRcHaRgEr Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

GTRcHaRgEr
  • LiMiTLeSs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

View PostMrmandudehat, on 28 September 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

I bought a gtr from a dodge, Chrysler, jeep dealership in Florida. They shipped it all the way to California to me. They said the car was completely stock and passed their 125 point inspection: they said it is certified.  When the gtr arrived to ca, I took it to my local nissan dealership to have then check it out.  turns out there are no Catalytic converters on the car, ecu has been customly modified.  intakes have been replaced by 3rd party intakes, no sensors on the wheels.  why would they do lie like this?  What rights do I have here?  I didn't pay for this!

U should have hired a third party car inspector. Only a 100 or so bucks and you would have had a full report on the car. Never trust stealerships!

09 Black Premium DBA Conversion ..... ALPHA 12 Powered TSM Tuned.....

#14 ATL_GT-R Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

ATL_GT-R
  • <"))))><

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts
I have all of the stock parts that you need.  Shoot me a PM if you are in need and maybe we can work something out.

Edited by ATL_GT-R, 30 September 2013 - 10:55 AM.

TSM l Alpha12 8 second street car ~~ gone but not forgotten
LP570-4 Superleggera
Diablo Roadster
Fiat 500 Abarth

#15 leboeuf45 Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

leboeuf45
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
I manage a new car dealership, and i have been in the business my whole life. As you bought a used/ preowned car you really have no ability per the law to return the car or have them take back. There is no grace period and basically the way the law works is once you sign the contract and take posession its your car. If you drive it off of the lot and it breaks into 2 pieces, you own both pieces. Sorry about your experience and i can tell you that there are some shady dealerships in the world but there are also some very good ones.

I suggest you call and attempt to speak with the General Manager, explain your situation and let him know what you would like to do. I really dont think that he will allow you to return the car or get your money back but he may refund you some money to cover the cost of the missing parts. If you call and demand anything, threaten, or be an ass they probably will just blow you off and you will get no help.

Good luck buddy

#16 BPAuto2 Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

BPAuto2
  • Premier International Vendor
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
Quick question.

As he stated originally stated...

If the dealer "claims" the car is stock, and no modifications have been done...yet, when you receive the car, and you notice this is not true, isn't that a breach of contract or false advertising?

View Postleboeuf45, on 28 September 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

I manage a new car dealership, and i have been in the business my whole life. As you bought a used/ preowned car you really have no ability per the law to return the car or have them take back. There is no grace period and basically the way the law works is once you sign the contract and take posession its your car. If you drive it off of the lot and it breaks into 2 pieces, you own both pieces. Sorry about your experience and i can tell you that there are some shady dealerships in the world but there are also some very good ones.

I suggest you call and attempt to speak with the General Manager, explain your situation and let him know what you would like to do. I really dont think that he will allow you to return the car or get your money back but he may refund you some money to cover the cost of the missing parts. If you call and demand anything, threaten, or be an ass they probably will just blow you off and you will get no help.

Good luck buddy

Posted Image

...[a Bespoke Venture]...t. 213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines... Add us on Facebook!

Please check out our exclusive price-match tool HERE that not only matches the competition, but gives you a 2% return just for using it.

#17 BPAuto2 Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

BPAuto2
  • Premier International Vendor
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
http://www.dep.state.../fac/62-243.pdf

1. Florida law prohibits the operation, sale, lease, or transfer of title of any automobile or light-duty truck (1975 or newer,
10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or less) that has been tampered with. “Tampering” means the dismantling, removal, or rendering
ineffective of any air pollution control device or system which has been installed on a motor vehicle by the vehicle manufacturer
except to replace such device or system with a device or system equivalent in design and function to the part that was originally
installed on the motor vehicle (Section 316.2935, F.S.).
2. As a motor vehicle dealer licensed to conduct business in the State of Florida, I hereby certify that the following air pollution
emission control devices and systems of this vehicle, if installed by the vehicle manufacturer or importer, have not been tampered
with by me or by my agents, employees, or other representatives: catalytic converter, fuel inlet restrictor, unvented fuel cap, exhaust
gas recirculation system (EGR),* air pump and/or air injection system (AIS),* and fuel evaporative emissions system (EVP)*
(*1981 and newer vehicles only). I also hereby certify that I or persons under my supervision have inspected this motor vehicle and,
based on said inspection, have determined that the above-listed air pollution control devices and systems, if installed by the vehicle
manufacturer or importer, are in place and appear properly connected and undamaged as determined by visual observation."
3. This certification shall not be deemed or construed as a warranty that any air pollution control device or system of the vehicle
is in functional condition, nor does the execution or delivery of this certification create by itself grounds for a cause of action
between the parties to this transaction.
(e) The certification statement shall be provided on the bill of sale, lease agreement, or other document furnished by the seller,
lessor, or person transferring title. The make, model, year, and vehicle identification number of the motor vehicle being sold, leased,
or transferred shall be included on the document containing the certification statement.
(2) Acknowledgment of Certification.

Edited by BPAuto2, 28 September 2013 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

...[a Bespoke Venture]...t. 213.745.6954 | sales@gt-rr.com Official North American Distributor: Top Secret, Amuse, Mines... Add us on Facebook!

Please check out our exclusive price-match tool HERE that not only matches the competition, but gives you a 2% return just for using it.

#18 leboeuf45 Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

leboeuf45
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
Yes it is but unless its on paper with all signatures ( dealer and customer ) its just your word against theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using GT-R Life mobile app

#19 gilly6993 Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

gilly6993
  • SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts
Good luck trying to return the car and get your money back, especially being on the other side of the country.....my guess is that it won't take much to get it legal....and lesson learned

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using GT-R Life mobile app

2015 White 991 GT3 Dec Delivery
2013 Silverstone Ferrari 458 Italia

2012 White Nissan GT-R SOLD
2008 Red Ferrari 430 Scuderia SOLD
2010 White Viper ACR SOLD
2009 Black Nissan GT-R SOLD

#20 MSIZZLE Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

MSIZZLE
  • Members
  • R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
I am the general manager of a car dealership and I cant tell you that there is no way we can sell a car that doesn't pass inspection. This instance might get a little sketchy because it is a different state but i think passing emissions is standard for every state. If you are civil with the dealership im sure you can get them to pay for the cats, other than that they broke no laws. If not file a complaint with the Florida dmv

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users