Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Help me pick my brakes

7K views 42 replies 24 participants last post by  lawerence@undercover 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I want to replace my stock brakes with something more superior. I hate the squeaks the OEMs are giving me and am not waiting for them to crack to be replaced. My car is daily driven with a bit of mountain driving, may do some occasional track stuff late this year or next year. Looked at DBA and seems like something that I will probably replace once I develop some track experiences so I've come down to 2:

- Alcon
- Racing Brakes

The RB rotors seems to be pretty good, last a long time that's great for the track, but it seems that it only uses it's own pads, any potential problems with that? Haven't heard much about street usage.

Alcon (http://www.gtrlife.c...nouncement-r114) came out with new rotors, seems like I can use any pads with this is that right?

I heard that I should use the same rotor brands and pads for all 4 wheels.

Lastly, I'm a bit unsure about whether to get just the rotors or rotors with hats (for example, RB Rotor Ring (Slotted) and RB Two-piece rotor (Open Slot)), is there a big difference between the 2?

Thanks in advance everybody, you've been more than helpful (and patient!) here on GTRlife.

See less See more
#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
Pretty much this. You do not want racing pads-they will squeak like crazy on the street and throw tons of dust. MX-72's are expensive but they are incredibly linear and last well(endless). I track with mine and I usually boil before I fade these pads. Pair them up with a fluid like Motul 660, you will have 0 regrets on these. The product lives up to its name, and pretty much every professional racing series in Japan uses endless.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
The new HD Alcon's are the way to go. No noise, they last longer than anything out there. It's a huge improvement. 10 day of tracking, and rotors show no meaningful signs of wear and tear.
http://www.gtrlife.c...y-rotor-update/

Couple that with a set of Endless MX72's for street/mountain/light track use and that should be the last set of rotors and pads you buy. We have seen 30K street miles from the MX72 front pads, and no noise and no dust. Hope that helps.

#5 ·
I am currently running DBAs and next my Stoptech rotors get here today. Originally I was going to get RB but changed my mind last minute. Hopefully it is as good as Alcon or RB.

The MX72s do make noise and do have brake dust, just nothing like OEM. A friend drove it less than a minute and he asked, "You have race pads, right?" due to the noise. It is nothing like Mx20 though. I can't remember how noisy OEM is, but definitely dust way less.

#6 ·
only noise i get from mx72 is if i am driving with the windows open and music turned off, it sounds like a soft brush sweeping over my rotors. barely audible haha. only time it squeeked was one tiny squeek when it was sort of a cold day. still dont know if it was really my car or the car next to me... expensive as hell.. but so far they have been great for me with 1 track day on them.

#7 ·
AP J-Hooks and MX72's get my vote for your needs.

#10 ·
I would definitely suggest AP Racing J-hook front and rears rotors, endless MX72 pads, Goodridge brake lines, and the highest grade brake fluid available to you (preferably Motul). While you are changing out the pad and rotors you might as well change your brake fluid and go to a stainless brake line.

#11 ·
I am planning on buying another GT-R perhaps sometime next year, and will most likely be a '12 or '13. My question is, for the long run I want to be aware of any high dollar maintenance costs, and I have no idea what it would cost me to change brake rotors and pads. When I sold my '09 GT-R, it had approximately 25K miles and there were no issues with the brakes. I never launched the vehicle, and only tracked it once. It was a DD for the first year-and-a-half, then became a once a week garage queen.

#12 ·
Brakes are cheap For people don't go drive hard. The DBA rotors with hawk hps would work and the pads sacrifice high speed braking but it is really easy on the rotors. I wouldn't be surprised getting 80k miles with that combo but it won't stop from 130 mph + too well. For high speed braking, road course, the rotors and pads get expensive. Most run endless mx72 on street which is about $900 new and ap rotors or RB or Alcon. Mx72 is pretty hard on my DBA rotors but it stops way better than hps pads.

So hard driving expensive, easy DD is ok IMHO.

#17 ·
Sharif at Forged tracks his GTR more than most people on the planet. He's always testing new equipment and pushing the limits. He suggested Alcon direct replacement rotors on OEM hats, Endless NU05 pads with stainless lines and DOT 650 fluid. A more robust and less expensive solution than OEM. I did 3 days and 15 hard sessions at Mid Ohio to wrap up the season and had ZERO FADE with GREAT FEEL. Came home to NO squeal. If Sharif and the folks at Forged are recommending it...I'd really consider it! Thanks Sharif. CS

#23 ·
The Mx-72 is an awesome pad for street and light track duty. If you routinely see braking zones at speeds above 145mph, then I would go to the Nou5's. The mx-72's tended to fade a bit on me at road atlanta and vir once my skills increased, got more comfortable at speed, etc. - like 150-155-160'ish entry speeds into braking zones. The mx-72's would be fine as well at say a barber or AMP where the course is much more about technical cornering, not much high speed braking.

The nou5's work wonderfully at the higher speeds. The alcon rotors wear really well in my experience too. I've used AP and switched to Alcon approximately a year ago.

#26 ·
As ToastZ alluded to, it's actually a pretty good pad on track as well, provided that the maximum speed you see on track is 145mph or less. Beyond that, it can get a little exciting in the braking zone. If you are doing less than a half dozen track days a year, and mostly street driving, it's really the perfect pad all around.

#31 · (Edited by Moderator)
I certainly like them more than OEM. Braking at a ten pedal with OEM did slow the car down, but did not instill confidence in me especially after I had an off track experience on my 3rd or 4th lap on @ njmp lightning last month.

I dont know what the braking coefficients are between the 2, but the mx72s felt like there was more stopping power. I didn't have the chance to push them too hard at summit point, but they did a good job coming down from around 150 to about 40 mph for turn 1.

With the 285/335 mpss setup, I was not able to lock them up without jumping on the brakes so I think there is more to be had with a more track oriented pad. I know hey were working hard since I was seeing sparks fly by my door late in the day :)

After 2-300 street miles, 2 slow sessions in the morning and 2 decent sessions in the afternoon at summit, the pad was not showing any wear but did have some slight cracking mid way through the pad where the grooves are cut into them.

They seem to be holding up great in comparison to oems but I think they are leaving something on the table. They are a very capable pad from the speeds I've seen.

Sent from my XT1080 using GT-R Life mobile app

#32 ·
Endless MX 72's pads are one of a kind. I can see how an auto cross guy or johnny brake lately guy would not like them because they have little bite. They are what they are, expensive, extremely linear, don't fade, and last a whole season of tracking 1-3 times a month. For autocross probably would not like them, for daily driving they are probably a waste of money, for daily/tracking combo, you can't really ask for a better pad because they are near perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.