161 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

SpecV Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

This is a turbo inlet pipe that runs between the fresh air inlet of the turbo and the air filter system whether it be OEM or aftermarket.

Posted Image

It bolts onto the turbo and the open end goes to the filter system.

Posted Image

This is the size of the pipe where it bolts onto the turbo

Posted Image

This is the size of the turbocharger air inlet

Posted Image

The black line shows how much material would have to be removed to make it match for inside diameter

Posted Image

This is why this is an area where Nissan changed the 2012, increasing the size of this tube. I looked at porting mine to match but the problem is that it necks down to that small 1.76" size way up the pipe where you can't get to it using a rotary file. Even if you could get in there the material you'd have to remove would make the pipe so thin that that would not be an option. So.....the solution is to build new inlet pipes which is what I'm in the process of doing. I may make a production run of these, and they will be priced lower than some of the other options out there currently if I do. They will be complete with correct fittings keeping all the stock hoses and fittings....incl BOV recirc.

For those of us looking for the maximum power and have bolted on every power mod except aftermarket turbos, new inlet pipes I'm willing to bet will make considerably more power.

And for those with turbo upgrades new larger inlet pipes are a must have.
'09 GT-R titanium:
Follow My Build Here: http://www.gtrlife.c...__fromsearch__1

Innovative GT-R products at their finest

Posted Image

www.gotboostperformance.com
[email protected]
email and paypal

Posted Image

#2 nico

nico

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2070 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:13 AM

very interesting. thanks for the info and explanation. i'll be looking forward to those inlet pipes of yours! :newbie:
2010 GT-R
AAM GT900-R turbos, built motor, shep stage 3 trans
tuned by 5150 Racing
Special thanks to: Jon Drenas, Sean Morris, Ben Linney, AMS, Eugene @ SPE, ACG Automotive, Sheptrans, Sam (VEGASGTR), Christian (Dv8), and all others who have helped me throughout the way

#3 max_R35

max_R35

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

Can't argue with they guy who helped in designing the intake that was used in the fastest stock turbo GT-R

Good luck
1st Series II Gulf Spec GT-R Black, Black/Red

Engine/Drivetrain:
Cobb AP-NIS-006, Custom Dyno Tune: Ben @ GTC, GTC 4" Ti Exhaust, GTC Turbo Inlet Pipe, GTC 80mm Intake, AMS catless DP, AMS Intercooler, Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors, HKS spark plugs, HKS Actuators, Cobb Silicon Hoses, Cobb XLE BPV, GBP SD Kit B, SIR 265LPH pumps, Castrol Engine Oil, Dodson Transmission and Diff Fluid, Willall Transmission Cooler + Sump, Willall Engine Sump, Willall Diff Coolers, AAM Engine Oil Cooler, CBRD Radiator, Carbing Coolant Overflow Tank, Samco Radiator Hoses, Dodson 60C Thermostat, Dodson Sportsman Kit + Extras, Michelin PSS 295/35/20 Square

Visual:
Stillen Front License Plate Bracket, Yoshi/RevoZport DN Duckbill CF Trunk, GT-RR CF Steering Wheel, Fringe XVO Afterburner tips, SMS Design & Performance Spec Mi CF Engine Cover # 9of10, Carbon Dry AC surround and door handles, Rexpeed Mirrors, Emblems, Carbon Side Emblem Cover and Carbon Hood Dampers, Matte Black VR G2 F20x10 R20x11

We rarely are the first to market on the product but in our eyes we always produce the best product when we do finally release it :)

#4 David_Yu

David_Yu

R34 Member

• Media
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:22 AM

Aren't there any matching size ones already on the market? I would have thought it an obvious mod, but don't remember reading about any.
Why would Nissan have undersized them initially? What would they gain? If nothing else, isn't it guaranteeing turbulent flow into the turbine, which is a bad thing?
Posted ImageShare your ownership experience on www.auto-journals.com ! Easy to use, great to read: Real Life with Cars

#5 max_R35

max_R35

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:29 AM

There are replacments in the market Mr. Yu

However, gotboost would like to create a more economical replacment for himself which may become a product if enough interest is found

Don't want to sound like an a55hole but it's the compressor inlet not turbine
1st Series II Gulf Spec GT-R Black, Black/Red

Engine/Drivetrain:
Cobb AP-NIS-006, Custom Dyno Tune: Ben @ GTC, GTC 4" Ti Exhaust, GTC Turbo Inlet Pipe, GTC 80mm Intake, AMS catless DP, AMS Intercooler, Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors, HKS spark plugs, HKS Actuators, Cobb Silicon Hoses, Cobb XLE BPV, GBP SD Kit B, SIR 265LPH pumps, Castrol Engine Oil, Dodson Transmission and Diff Fluid, Willall Transmission Cooler + Sump, Willall Engine Sump, Willall Diff Coolers, AAM Engine Oil Cooler, CBRD Radiator, Carbing Coolant Overflow Tank, Samco Radiator Hoses, Dodson 60C Thermostat, Dodson Sportsman Kit + Extras, Michelin PSS 295/35/20 Square

Visual:
Stillen Front License Plate Bracket, Yoshi/RevoZport DN Duckbill CF Trunk, GT-RR CF Steering Wheel, Fringe XVO Afterburner tips, SMS Design & Performance Spec Mi CF Engine Cover # 9of10, Carbon Dry AC surround and door handles, Rexpeed Mirrors, Emblems, Carbon Side Emblem Cover and Carbon Hood Dampers, Matte Black VR G2 F20x10 R20x11

We rarely are the first to market on the product but in our eyes we always produce the best product when we do finally release it :)

#6 celsius

celsius

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7504 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:33 AM

Edited by celsius, 17 May 2011 - 06:15 AM.

TSM Elite Prime (4125lbs w/Audiophile sound / AC, etc.) 

1426 AWHP

8.75 @ 163MPH Tx2k19

190MPH Roll Race Tx2k19

#7 domino_z

domino_z

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

I went with the top secret pipes, not only are they the biggest on the market but also one of the cheapest
2011 R35 (Aus spec) - 750awhp/600ftlb, FBO E85, WR600 ball bearing turbos, ported/polished oem manifold, Dodson Super Stock clutches + Jacks welded baskets, built and tuned by Willall Racing

#8 [email protected]

[email protected]

SpecV Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

I went with the top secret pipes, not only are they the biggest on the market but also one of the cheapest

Hopefully my option will be considerably less expensive than those.
'09 GT-R titanium:

Posted Image

[email protected]
email and paypal

Posted Image

#9 Guy

Guy

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:17 AM

What about having the existing pipes Extrude Honed to remove some of the internal material?

#10 NickTO

NickTO

SpecV Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

:)

Edited by NickTO, 18 September 2013 - 11:14 PM.

--

I am no longer active on this site.

#11 [email protected]

[email protected]

R34 Member

• International Vendor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1382 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:33 AM

Solution found yrs ago hks premium suction. Fits like stock with increased size to decrease pumping loss. Not cheap though.

Sean

WWW.IVEYTUNE.COM...………Results based

DYNOJET AWD ON PREMISES!!!
ECUTEK PRO Dealer, RaceROM!
Cobb Protuner

Motec USA dealer

Customers:

Sean I 7.54 @ 192.22 Iveytune stage 3 engine, Iveytune stage 5 trans with Promax, Iveytune fuel system, ETS Pro2100, Iveytuned with Motec M1.

Crystal R 7.66 @ 188 Iveytune Stage 3 4.1 Engine, Iveytune Stage 4 Trans with Promax, Iveytune fuel system, AMS Alpha X 6870, Motec M1

Eric S 7.74 @189 Iveytune stage 3 4.1, Iveytune Stage 4 Trans Promax, Iveytune Fuel system, AMS Alpha X 6870, Motec M1

MikeAWD  7.77 @ 182 Iveytune stage 1 Engine, Iveytune stage 4.5 trans, Iveytune fuel system,AMS Alpha16XR kit Iveytuned with Motec (2019)
Juan M 8.01 @ 177 Iveytune 4.1 Engine, Iveytune stage 4.5 trans w promax, Iveytune fuel system, AMS Alpha 12X kit, Iveytuned with Motec m1

Crystal R 8.01 @ 177 Iveytune stage 1 Engine, Iveytune "One G" trans, Iveytune Fuel system, Ams Alpha 12x Turbos, Iveytuned with Motec M1

Joe C 8.01 @179 Iveytune stage 3 Engine 4.1, Iveytune stage 4.5 Trans with promax, Iveytune fuel system, AMS Alpha 16 turbo kit, Motec M1
Dino T 7.92 @ 182  Iveytune stage 3 4.1, Iveytune stage 4.5 trans with Promax, Iveytune fuel system, Iveytuned on Motec m1
Luis 8.36 @ 168 Stage 1 engine, Iveytune "one G" trans , HKS GT1000, Ivey fuel system, Iveytuned with Cobb AP
Juan F 8.68 @ 168 (MH radials) 8.59 @ 162 slicks Iveytune Stage1 Engine, Iveytune stage 4 trans w promax, Iveytune fuel system,AMS Alpha 12 kit, Iveytuned with Cobb AP.

#12 GTRRN

GTRRN

R32 Member

• PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:51 AM

I spoke to Chris at AMS. they are producing an inlet pipe for a very good price.

#13 cadburyGTR

cadburyGTR

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:02 AM

Some of the guys said the larger inlet pipe (HKS, Blitz etc) made the car more 'laggy' or felt a loss in low end power/response..Some said its spools faster..Im confused..

Any idea whats the real outcome to expect? With tuning and without tuning..

#14 domino_z

domino_z

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:42 AM

Hopefully my option will be considerably less expensive than those.

its about time there was a cheaper option

im suprised these dont get more attention, i dont see the point of fitting larger pipe'd intakes when they neck down anyway at the oem inlet pipe
2011 R35 (Aus spec) - 750awhp/600ftlb, FBO E85, WR600 ball bearing turbos, ported/polished oem manifold, Dodson Super Stock clutches + Jacks welded baskets, built and tuned by Willall Racing

#15 k3vkoh

k3vkoh

WOTer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:18 AM

I always wonder how changing to larger aftermarket pipes helps, now I know. I'm interested if price is right and installation is DIYable, no need for engine to be dropped right?
2008 Pearl White GT-R Black Edition

Performance// Greddy XL T-29 SPEC-R HG Intercooler kit | Greddy Type RZ BOV | HKS Racing midpipe | HKS Legamax Exhaust | ASNU1050 Injectors | 76mm Intake | Customs Tune by [email protected]

Aerodynamics// AutoSelect CF Canard | Mine's CF Front Grill | Mine's CF Hood Duct | Zele CF Side Duct | Mine's CF Front Lip | Kansai Service CF Side Skirt | CarbonDry Japan CF Rear Diffuser | Tommy Kaira CF Spoiler | Volks Racing G2 HMB

#16 Jenner

Jenner

R35 Member

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:29 AM

i dont see the point of fitting larger pipe'd intakes when they neck down anyway at the oem inlet pipe

If you are maxing out the stock MAF sensor then the larger diameter (3") intake pipe will allow you more resolution on the sensor and allow more headroom for tuning with larger injectors.

My setup maxed the stock MAFs and stock injectors when I upgraded to catless downpipes.
2008 Porsche 911 Turbo Cab Carrara White over Black 520whp
AWE Tuned with Werks1 Carbon Fiber Intake / IPD Intake Plenum / Tubi Sport Exhaust & 200 Cell cats / 15mm drop on TechArt springs

Previously:
2009 Nissan GT-R Super Silver / Black Premium 550whp
Tuned by
Jack Cecil

Other/Past

#17 paparazzi

paparazzi

Torque Junkie

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3424 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:56 AM

Edited by paparazzi, 17 May 2011 - 07:59 AM.

JDM MINE'S dry carbon Spec X 6.0 
Engine built by Dave "Gotboost" Pickering boosted by Spec-V turbos and tuned by Linney Tuning

#18 paparazzi

paparazzi

Torque Junkie

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3424 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

For those of us looking for the maximum power and have bolted on every power mod except aftermarket turbos, new inlet pipes I'm willing to bet will make considerably more power.

The Mine's ones have been tested to show increases of between 20 - 30ps.

It'll also improve throttle response also.

JDM MINE'S dry carbon Spec X 6.0 
Engine built by Dave "Gotboost" Pickering boosted by Spec-V turbos and tuned by Linney Tuning

#19 NickTO

NickTO

SpecV Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

:)

Edited by NickTO, 18 September 2013 - 11:14 PM.

--

I am no longer active on this site.

#20 [email protected]

[email protected]

SpecV Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

Your measurements are spot-on. However, can you measure the diameter of the turbo inlet (not the pipe) at the compressor wheel, or take a picture head on of the turbo intake, the flange is tapered iirc and the diameter of the actual turbo inlet at the compressor wheel actually matches the smaller diameter of the intake runner. So while the turbo intake measure 2.03", at the compressor that opening has been much reduced.

Here's what I mean, the picture below shows the housing diameter at the OEM compressor is much narrower than the opening and may matche the diameter of the intake runner:

Posted Image

Yes Nick, I realize that it necks down to the intake impeller, but I've done a lot of flow bench testing in my life, and having a set-up like the stock pipe provides is not the ideal situation for airflow.
Tim Bailey has already dyno tested a car with aftermarket inlet pipes and the results were worth pursuing........and it was a stock turbo gtr. :)
'09 GT-R titanium:

Posted Image

[email protected]
email and paypal

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users