6 replies to this topic

#1 mbrownew

mbrownew

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Had to replace my ARP extended wheel studs due to breakage and have been unable to find a torque setting for the hub bolt. Was also wondering whether there is a setting for the four bolts that hold the hub on. Is there any specific grease needed or can I use just a standard high temp wheel grease? Any help appreciated.

#2 Dntlvet

Dntlvet

SpecV Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4034 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Sorry no answers, just more questions...
Which size arp studs broke?
Think it was a torque issue?

2019 GT3RS

2018 Porsche GT3

2016 Porsche GT4
2015 Porsche 991 GT3
2016 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2010 BMW M3

2013 BE GTR (SOLD)

#3 KarlBlomquist

KarlBlomquist

2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Last time I looked this up the hub bolts were 65 ft-lb and the axle nut was 166 ft-lb.

Also I'd recommend using some thread-lock on the hub bolts.

I too am curious how you broke arp lugs.

Only thing I can figure is a loose wheel or maybe you retorqued too soon after coming off track hot? I'd hate to think of there being defective arp lugs out there.

2009 Gun Metallic
Power
:..... Ported 2012 Turbo inlets, Cobb catted Y-pipe, GotBoost 3" Intake, Magnus tune: ~525 whp, ~550 wtq
Handling
:..Stillen sways, 2014 OEM Trk Ed. struts/springs, ARP lugs, Alcon/Carbotech brakes, DBA front Lower Control Arms
Aero
:.........Stillen Front Splitter and Side Skirts, Difflow 5 element rear diffuser
Convenience
: 2014 MFD/NAV/Audio (legertas upgrade) w. front and rear cameras
.......................Mr. Ess Hertz front/centre speaker/amp upgrade, JL Audio SX600/1 + 2x8" Subs
.......................CarKitCompany RRR Memory Box

#4 mbrownew

mbrownew

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Last time I looked this up the hub bolts were 65 ft-lb and the axle nut was 166 ft-lb.

Only thing I can figure is a loose wheel or maybe you retorqued too soon after coming off track hot? I'd hate to think of there being defective arp lugs out there.

Thank you for the settings. Problem was a spacer that I had for my Advan wheels that I did not need for my Finnspeed wheels was still mounted when I had my slicks on. Mounted wheels over spacer so wheel was just tettering on the spacer and not sitting flush with the hub. Was a very dangerous situation. Was coming into a braking zone on a medium straight 125 mph and ninety degree right at end. Luckily just two broke and I was able to make turn and slow down to get off track. When wheel came loose the fastening bolt on caliper dug into wheel and put big groove in it. Looks like new front wheels. Lessons learned. No problem with ARP's at all. Would recommend them every time.

#5 KarlBlomquist

KarlBlomquist

2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Geez... that's definitely what a long-ago instructor I knew would have called "a sphincter tightening moment".

Glad you made it through!
2009 Gun Metallic
Power
:..... Ported 2012 Turbo inlets, Cobb catted Y-pipe, GotBoost 3" Intake, Magnus tune: ~525 whp, ~550 wtq
Handling
:..Stillen sways, 2014 OEM Trk Ed. struts/springs, ARP lugs, Alcon/Carbotech brakes, DBA front Lower Control Arms
Aero
:.........Stillen Front Splitter and Side Skirts, Difflow 5 element rear diffuser
Convenience
.......................Mr. Ess Hertz front/centre speaker/amp upgrade, JL Audio SX600/1 + 2x8" Subs

#6 mbrownew

mbrownew

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

Do you have the torque settings for the caliper mounting bolts also? I am going to do a How To write up for installing extended studs that includes all necessary details. Thanks in advance.

#7 KarlBlomquist

KarlBlomquist

2009 R35 (GOD7ILLA)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Do you have the torque settings for the caliper mounting bolts also? I am going to do a How To write up for installing extended studs that includes all necessary details. Thanks in advance.

From a quick search I found...
The main bolts holding caliper on (the hex/allen bolts) are to be 74 ftlb
The single 12mm bolt should be 18 ftlb
The bolts that go across the top of the caliper over the pads are 22 ft-lb

Funny, I did all 4 wheels over the spring and I've been working on an ARP lug install guide too... but you can never have too many guides/pics, so good stuff. I've got lots of pics here... feel free to use any.

Cheers, Karl

Edited by KarlBlomquist, 09 July 2014 - 07:06 AM.

2009 Gun Metallic
Power
Handling
Aero
Convenience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users