Photo

DIY USM / Built Motor Build *** GTRLIFE Feature***

539 replies to this topic

#1 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:20 AM

Guys

I was anxious to get started on my build after getting some parts ordered up Friday and today. So far the plan is to do the following:

1. USM Turbos w/inlets & billet actuators
2. Manley PIston / Rod combo

I will be doing 100% of the work myself. I'm still pretty green to the GTR scene but I have Nissan in my blood!

Pulled the car in around 6

Posted Image

Testing to make sure I'm going to have enough height to get the damned engine out from under the car after I drop it. Its going to be real close. May have to pull the garage door opener motor before its all said and done, lol

Posted Image

Pulled the front wheels - Just a feeler but these may be going up for sale so I can run an 18" drag radial combo. They're 20x10/20x12 Niche Mizano's in the polished finish - Interested?

Posted Image

Splash shields off

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bumper removed

Posted Image

IC piping coming off

Posted Image

Cooling stuff removed

Posted Image

Cowls, etc removed

Posted Image

To save myself some height from the previously mentioned issue, I pulled the plenum. This also gave me better access to some of the stuff behind the engine

Posted Image

Suspension pulled apart, driveshafts out, exhaust off, etc

Posted Image

Wiring harness pulled through the firewall, starter and alt harnesses laid out

Posted Image

About 6 hours later, its basically ready to drop out. I'm hoping wednesday I can get it on the ground. I'm going to have to get creative with how I can lower the engine and find something to pull it out from under the car on. Will be interesting to see what I can come up with.

Cheers!

- Andy

Edited by Wicked, 01 December 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#2 SELVERGTR7

SELVERGTR7

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:39 AM

In on this.. Good thread keep us updated with all the pictures.

#3 Tier1

Tier1

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:27 AM

Sounds like fun! Good luck

#4 ehyman

ehyman

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:31 AM

Good luck with the build. Quick question, I've seen folks doing it with the nose off and with it on, why did you choose the former?

FWIW A harbor freight jack table works great for the rear subframe, I bet it works well up front as well

http://www.harborfre...cart-69148.html

Not sure it will work with your height constrained location, but with the handle off the back it can go pretty low.

Eric

#5 brian b

brian b

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:19 AM

Awesome thread man. Love the DIY stuff.

#6 bubbletea

bubbletea

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:21 AM

Subscribed. I love DIY'ers.

#7 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Good luck with the build. Quick question, I've seen folks doing it with the nose off and with it on, why did you choose the former?

FWIW A harbor freight jack table works great for the rear subframe, I bet it works well up front as well

http://www.harborfre...cart-69148.html

Not sure it will work with your height constrained location, but with the handle off the back it can go pretty low.

Eric

Eric

The bumper comes off easy......you already want to take the lowest splash shield off which I just remove with the lip to protect it from getting beat up. You also have to take out the wheel wells. Getting the bumper off after that point is just popping the corner lights off, 4 10mm bolts on the fender, some pull/pins - and yank on it. Also you have to get to the oil cooler bracket and stuff later on and pulling the bumper makes it much easier. I figured I would save me running my knees and shins into it

I actually was at HF last night doing some shopping and saw those tables. Looked like a killer option but I think I'm going to need every inch I can get. It is possible I may have to set this thing on the ground and then drag it out

#8 Blackbird R35

Blackbird R35

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

Looking good Andy, I assume you got everything sorted out with the turbos then

Posted Image
2009 GT-R
Boost Logic BL1300 *Retired*
12?? @ 38 Psi

Boost Logic BL1500
14xx @ 39 PSI

8.70 @ 166 MPH (BL1300)
crap @ 171 MPH (BL1500)

#9 KrieGTR

KrieGTR

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

Andy, your not wasting anytime.
Thanks for the write up. I'm going to need it to install my USM's that showed up 2 weeks ago.

Are you going to do some drop in cams like the GSC's?

09' Super Silver - GTR - FBO E85
07' White - Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
90' Quick Silver - Nissan 300zx/SR20VET GT42 [email protected] - Money Pit
94' Silver & Teal - Harley Davidson Dyno Wide Glide
51' Rust - Chevrolet Pickup - Project

#10 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:09 AM

Looking good Andy, I assume you got everything sorted out with the turbos then

Yes sir, Doug got me set up with a set that was allotted to him. I do appreciate you getting ahold of Bill though!

I'm going to have to make it over that way to see your car run sometime next year.

#11 Vision

Vision

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:15 AM

Looks great. What type of power are you looking to have after everything is in?.

A bit off-topic, but what wheels are those?.
|'15 GT-R Premium | Deep Blue Pearl | 10.96 @ 122.41 mph Stock | Now Fbo/e85 |
|Top Secret | Mines | Rays | AMS | JUN | HKS | Nordring | RSW | BLiTZ

#12 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:24 AM

Andy, your not wasting anytime.
Thanks for the write up. I'm going to need it to install my USM's that showed up 2 weeks ago.

Are you going to do some drop in cams like the GSC's?

I def wish I was just installing a set of USM's lol. This job is going to be significantly more labor intensive. I will say though that taking this car apart has been much more enjoyable than the countless Z32's I've dismantled simply because everything's still new, and primarily clean. Additionally, I am finding the newer the vehicle is - the less of a chance some hackjobs have gotten a hold of it. Cant think of how many other projects I've tackled where stuff was mis-routed, jury-rigged, and overall clamored together and I find myself spending more time correcting those issues as opposed to the original task at hand!

No top end work at this time - I've already way overspent what I figured to be my car budget this year and am starting a new job in a few weeks. If I decide to do cams later on, at least those can be done in the car

#13 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:26 AM

Looks great. What type of power are you looking to have after everything is in?.

A bit off-topic, but what wheels are those?.

Not sure, I'm still going to be on a stock trans for a while. Hoping somewhere in the 7xx territory and if I go trans I don't see why I won't do some fuel system upgrades and just shoot for the 8xx+ range.

The wheels are polished Niche Misanos. They are monoblock wheels so the 20x10's weigh around 22lbs and the 20x12's weigh 24lbs. They are potentially going up for sale if you know anyone interested :)

#14 bubbletea

bubbletea

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:47 AM

What are the offsets?

#15 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:50 AM

Doh, you had to ask - I'll have to see if they're stamped on the wheel as I can't recall off the top of my head. Most likely 20x10 +35 and 20x12 +20

I will say they fit very nicely on my setup though. I get a little rubbing on heavy compression but the car is pretty slammed

You might refer back to the first pic to get a good visual

Edited by Booztd 3, 25 November 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#16 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

Little better side angle shot at the tail of the dragon this year

Posted Image

#17 pfl

pfl

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:53 AM

Awesome thread. Thanks for posting the pictures and please keep up updated.
Current: 2013 458, 2015 GT-R Black Edition
Past: 2015 M3 DCT Individual, 2012 GT-R Premium, E92 M3, C63 LCI, S4, 335i, etc.

#18 hoangcao243

hoangcao243

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

Lol you make me wanna do it. Can't wait to see the completed thread.
Posted Image

Leds always on, Remote start, Reverse beep defeater, Auto folding mirror module

Thunder bolt LEDs always on

Custom carbon fiber steering wheel

Looking for all the interior bits of DBA GTR to carbon fiber up the interior, please PM me if you have anything for sale.

#19 Wicked

Wicked

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:26 AM

Will be interesting to see how you drop the motor.

Those wheels look awesome. They will sell easily.
Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#20 Booztd 3

Booztd 3

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

Will be interesting to see how you drop the motor.

Those wheels look awesome. They will sell easily.

I'm hoping it can't be any worse than an MR2 I did a few years ago. No lift, I had to jack the ass end of the car up about 6 feet using the most unreliable methods possible - would not do again lol

Thanks on the wheels. I love the look of them and they're super easy to clean (I cleaned them about 2-3x a week) A little bit of IronX before washing and an EZ bristle brush and they're brand new looking again

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users