530 replies to this topic

#1 drfrink24

drfrink24

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

I've had my GT-R for 2 weeks (used, 2012) and yeah, I knew I'd be getting some attention. The thumbs up, pointing, people making small talk. Generally nice, no problems.

Then I decided to drive a bit around on a weekend night for maybe 30 minutes tops, first time I've had the chance since getting it.

- I had some modified car, pace me with "thumbs up", which was fine.. we met at a light and again, thumbs up. As the light was turning green, he enabled his launch control and proceeded to launch.. his car was actually really fast. Poor judgement overcame me and I actually "raced" him to maybe 80, though he may have given up since I wasn't racing until it was obvious he was. At that point, he proceeded to rev/lurch and pace me for like two miles, until he finally gave up and turned off. Partially my fault for racing him, I guess.

- I had an older AMG (maybe 2005ish?) race up me and start to pace me, but this time, his wife/girlfriend was actively filming me with an actual camera, not her phone, but a point/shoot w/lens on it. WTF? They paced me for 3+ miles smiling like idiots and reving/lurching, all with stupid grins on their face. Completely awkward and now there's probably a video out there of a confused/sheepish looking GTR owner driving the speed limit. Guy even had his plates removed with no temp tags.

Honestly, I know I shouldn't care, but man, makes me want to totally avoid populated areas with my car. This was all within 30 minutes.

I had a 2004 STI in 2004, (when they were brand new to the states) and I didn't get this much attention/racing attempts in an entire year of driving several evenings around town. I figured the experience with the GT-R would be similar, guess I was wrong...

#2 Kayzee

Kayzee

R34 Member

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:18 AM

1. This post is worthless without stating location

2. The attention is really not that bad. My 370z with an amuse kit got more attention than the GTR. You're overthinking it and counting every single instance it happens instead of letting it pass you by.

3. The attention is and will be on the decline as these cars get cheaper and cheaper. Unless you're modded out the ass, and visual mods play a much bigger role to public reception, then the occasional car enthusiast or two that you bump into day to day is about as bad as it gets.

4. If you live in a little village, i would assume yes, your experience might hold some merit.

IMG_4130-1 (1).jpg
2015 Premium
All mods photoshopped

#3 d.v.

d.v.

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

It all depends where you live. I get very minimal attention in my town. Most people don't have a clue what a GTR is in my town. A Corvette gets more attention.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

my GTR is for sale: 11.6k miles @ $46,700 (sold after 17 days)

my epic thread (page 3 of 15, 18k+ views) with responses: https://www.gtrlife....wo/page__st__40

2010 GTR Premium: intake, midpipe, cobb stage 2 w/ lc4 (sold)
2002 M3 SMG (sold)
2004 A8L
2008 M3 DCT (sold)
2004 S4 Tiptronic (sold)

"You can't rationalize cars like this. They're not something you buy with your head, you buy them with your heart because you love them, and who can explain love?" -Jeremy Clarkson
"We don't sell cars, we sell emotions." -Stephan Winkelmann

#4 ImInjured

ImInjured

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

I think you're complaining for nothing.
Instagram: jr.gtr

2009 Nissan GT-R GMG - SBD 700 +E85

#5 r35.ftw

r35.ftw

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

Haha. I live in the glendale area in Socal. My house is literally about 3-5 minutes from Angeles Crest Highway. When I drive my 2015 BE I get thumbs up and whatever. But in my daily, Infiniti FX35. I get people rolling there windows down taking pics with their DSLRs. Asking for my wheel specs. Asking why my intakes are visible from my front grill. LOL. I like the attention as long it stays positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 drfrink24

drfrink24

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

1. This post is worthless without stating location

2. The attention is really not that bad. My 370z with an amuse kit got more attention than the GTR. You're overthinking it and counting every single instance it happens instead of letting it pass you by.

3. The attention is and will be on the decline as these cars get cheaper and cheaper. Unless you're modded out the ass, and visual mods play a much bigger role to public reception, then the occasional car enthusiast or two that you bump into day to day is about as bad as it gets.

4. If you live in a little village, i would assume yes, your experience might hold some merit.

I live in SE Minnesota, town called Rochester. I've seen a grand total of zero GT-Rs in the 17 years I've lived here. So yeah, might be a bit rare. I've seen ONE in MN since they came out and it was near Minneapolis on the interstate.

Edited by drfrink24, 18 September 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#7 jnl16

jnl16

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

Even in Miami, my car still draws attention, they are not too common on the road. I can go weeks to a month without seeing another GTR on my daily commute.

#8 dLad

dLad

R.I.P. Paul Walker

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7529 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

Location definitely does matter. When you add a wild color like a blue chrome wrap, the attention grows A LOT. This was expected because all people of all ages are now looking at a crazy looking hot wheels like car, rather than a black, red, silver, blue etc color gtr. I don't mind the attention. I don't love it either. I simply did the wrap for me and because I love the way the gtr looks with it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

White (Now Blue Chrome Wrapped) 2013 GTR
10.890 @ 122.11mph (stock)

#9 drfrink24

drfrink24

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

Location definitely does matter. When you add a wild color like a blue chrome wrap, the attention grows A LOT. This was expected because all people of all ages are now looking at a crazy looking hot wheels like car, rather than a black, red, silver, blue etc color gtr. I don't mind the attention. I don't love it either. I simply did the wrap for me and because I love the way the gtr looks with it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using GT-R Life mobile app

I don't mind most of it... the being filmed over several miles was just beyond weird.

#10 fabworx_fabrication

fabworx_fabrication

SpecV Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3773 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 03:22 PM

In the end it's just a Nissan lol

Contact us for GT-R life Member discounts on all Parts sold.

Fabworx Custom Fabrication

1016 South Delsea Drive

Vineland, Nj 08360

1-856-434-3623

Like us on facebook
https://www.facebook...tomfabrication/

instagram fabworx_fab

Fabworxexhaust.com

[email protected]

#11 Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2271 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:18 PM

I've had my GT-R for 2 weeks (used, 2012) and yeah, I knew I'd be getting some attention. The thumbs up, pointing, people making small talk. Generally nice, no problems.

Then I decided to drive a bit around on a weekend night for maybe 30 minutes tops, first time I've had the chance since getting it.

- I had some modified car, pace me with "thumbs up", which was fine.. we met at a light and again, thumbs up. As the light was turning green, he enabled his launch control and proceeded to launch.. his car was actually really fast. Poor judgement overcame me and I actually "raced" him to maybe 80, though he may have given up since I wasn't racing until it was obvious he was. At that point, he proceeded to rev/lurch and pace me for like two miles, until he finally gave up and turned off. Partially my fault for racing him, I guess.

- I had an older AMG (maybe 2005ish?) race up me and start to pace me, but this time, his wife/girlfriend was actively filming me with an actual camera, not her phone, but a point/shoot w/lens on it. WTF? They paced me for 3+ miles smiling like idiots and reving/lurching, all with stupid grins on their face. Completely awkward and now there's probably a video out there of a confused/sheepish looking GTR owner driving the speed limit. Guy even had his plates removed with no temp tags.

Honestly, I know I shouldn't care, but man, makes me want to totally avoid populated areas with my car. This was all within 30 minutes.

I had a 2004 STI in 2004, (when they were brand new to the states) and I didn't get this much attention/racing attempts in an entire year of driving several evenings around town. I figured the experience with the GT-R would be similar, guess I was wrong...

Don't let the negative remarks deter you. My thing is, if a post doesn't apply to you, or you're not interested, hey, move on. This isn't the early 90s when we had to be concerned with bandwidth or disk space. I like your post and can relate. I've owned two GT-R's, both while living in the DC area, and I ALWAYS got attention in mine. Anyway, yes, sometimes the attention can be annoying. And the dudes that pull up next to you or behind you, and rev their engines are to be expected. You are the benchmark, what a lot of wannabes aspire to. Otherwise, they would move on without putting any attention to you.
CURRENT: '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition PAST '14 Jaguar XFR-S '19 Corvette Grand Sport//'18 Audi S5 Sportback '15 Maserati Granturismo Sport '17 MB AMG C63 Cabriolet '17 Lotus Evora 400//'15 Audi S4, Stage II '14 Nissan GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 Nissan GT-R '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4 '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi '02 Subaru WRX//'91 GMC Syclone (two--the first caught fire) '86 Buick Grand National//'86 Olds Cutlass Calais International '86 Chevy Z24//'85 Pontiac Fiero '81 Mustang//'64 Rambler

#12 Nilnwahs

Nilnwahs

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

It's never going to end, you will feel like you have a target on the back of your vehicle for a long time, until you are simply numb.

I wrote a similar piece last year when I first got this car, and like majority of the responds here, apparently we are being over-sensitive.

#13 Acc0rd79

Acc0rd79

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:59 PM

I also own a 370z like Kayzee up there used to. Once and awhile you get the smile, wave and nice car and I actually enjoy it. The best was when some girl called my car a Porsche! I was like OOH YAH:) haha I honestly can't wait till I get the GTR in the next month (waiting to sell my Z before buying) I know how I am when I see the occasional GTR so I have no problem with the people smiling and doing the exact same thing! If you want to blend in, just buy some SUV, no one will bat an eye:)

#14 Lex97h

Lex97h

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 10:14 PM

I also get attention in the GTR. The first night I got it, I went for a drive and some kid pulled up next to me at night and was filming me with his camera phone with the flashlight on. Idiot almost blinded me with the flashlight so I just hauled ass. Most people are cool and give me the thumbs up but you do run into jerks once in a while.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I perform repairs and custom work of gauge cluster LED for a fraction of dealer cost. Contact me at [email protected] for more detail.

#15 NissanGT-R

NissanGT-R

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

I frequently have BRZ and FRS line up right next to me in the freeway. That is freakin' annoying. If I accelerate to get away from them, then they always accelerate to catch up to to get right behind me or next to me. What gives?

Perhaps next time the key is to decelerate and let them get frustrated that I'm moving so slow that they leave me alone.

But I shouldn't have to change my driving style, based on the fact that somebody wants to get a closer look.

Edited by NissanGT-R, 19 September 2016 - 11:07 AM.

2015 GT-R Black Edition - FBO E85 Flex Fuel - 642 HP and 619 ft-lb on Dynojet
SBD700 [Bosch EV14 1150 cc Injectors - SBD 3" Intake - SBD 3" Catless Downpipe - SBD 3.5" Non-Resonated Midpipe - SBD 3.5" Street Spec Exhaust - Visconti Flex Fuel - DW300C Fuel Pumps] - Cobb Accessport NIS-008 - Stillen Skid Plate - Xpel Ultimate Full Hood

#16 909

GTRLIFE BOTM August 2015

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Tons of attention is normal. People who don't know what it is are genuinely curious and anxiously ask questions. People who know what it is already, are excited to see one. I feel like by driving this car around I'm doing the world a favor because everyone loves it. I then translate that to them loving me, and I feel better about everything. :)

#17 SwissMTNAlien

SwissMTNAlien

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

Yes, the amount of attention can be annoying at times. I'm introverted so I don't really like the attention/small talk.

2015 Pearl White GT-R Premium

APR Carbon Fiber Front Lip, DCTMS Steering Wheel, Vorsteiner VFF-103 Wheels, Zele Carbon Fiber Side Skirts

#18 ImInjured

ImInjured

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

Yes, the amount of attention can be annoying at times. I'm introverted so I don't really like the attention/small talk.

Mondays... am I right
Instagram: jr.gtr

2009 Nissan GT-R GMG - SBD 700 +E85

#19 FRMADIG

FRMADIG

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

I actually think it is kind of fun...have not had a bad experience yet and most people just give me a thumbs up or ask me questions (usually at the gas station or supermarket).

A lot of cars do try to provoke me as I think they know how fast these cars are and they want to compare or see how close they can come. If it is a car I know is pretty fast I may play (kill) but a lot of the time I just chill and let them dream...LOL

Edited by GTRSS, 19 September 2016 - 04:40 PM.

2018 Premium (Pearl White)

Last few toys:
2017 Challenger Hellcat gone
2015 Lexus RCF

2013 CTSV Coupe gone
2016 GTR Premium gone

#20 Hotrodlove13

Hotrodlove13

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

I am in So Cal and have loud exhaust on mine, I get non stop attention while driving. It seems like most people never see GTR's so they are excited to see one in real life. I get alotta young kids with he thumbs up.I do get the occasional person in Thier Camaro SS that thinks they can keep up .
2014 Black Premium Titan 102 Visconti tuned Advans Carbon front lip, skirts , rear wing

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users