679 replies to this topic

#661 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

Finally we had our first event in NJ with additional protocols due to the current situation.  It was a good feeling to drive the car in anger again since last November.  This was more of a "shake the rust off" event so I wasn't too focus on the results. I ended up 16th RAW/16th PAX out of 100 drivers, which was decent.  I put the rear bar to the stiffest setting for this event which helped the car rotate mid-corner in sweepers but also took away some stability in slaloms (all were expected).  It felt that I couldn't get through the slalom as quickly as I can because the rear end would eventually slide a bit too much taking away some speed, but it really made the car more neutral in sweepers.  So the setting will have to be change depending on the course.  

As for tires, I was still on the 2018 set of RE71R, but these are getting down to the end of their life cycle.

Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 will be going on for the next event.

Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 (left)/ RE71R (right)

[/url]20200712_173201 by vwhite_turbo, on Flickr">http://50114339841_501b63b080_z.jpg20200712_173201 by vwhite_turbo, on Flickr

RE71R (left)/ Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 (right). Both mounted on 9.5 inch wheels, so Goodyear is just a tiny bit wider for the same size.

[/url]20200712_175616 by vwhite_turbo, on Flickr">http://50114339466_ec82bfbb08_z.jpg20200712_175616 by vwhite_turbo, on Flickr

Edited by White_turbo, 14 July 2020 - 10:30 PM.

2018 SCCA Solo National Super Street 3rd Loser

Always looking for sponsorship to help out on events entry (autox/hpde) and such. Please PM me if interested. Super Street 09 GTR #924 / A Street Prepared 06 Evo #924

Follow me on Instagram: @garytsuikk

Subscribe to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube....LHxYspyZZxJZdYA

#662 Godzilla_GT-R

Godzilla_GT-R

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:27 PM

How do you enter these events? I’m also in Jersey and would love to start getting some track experience. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#663 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

There are different organizations that sponsor programs in autocross in your area. Sportcar Club of America, BMW Car Club of America and Porsche clubs are common places to check out. Once you make contact with your local organization ask them what is available for track driving.

Autocross is in a parking lot and limits speeds to about 60 with runs up to about 60 seconds.

Track driving has many formats and events that are both organized or informal and even track series events that require a racing license.

Here is an example of an Autocross in your area on July 26

https://www.motorspo...sey-solo-081470

Also see

http://nnj.scca.com/

Edited by AutoXGTR, 16 July 2020 - 08:17 PM.

4472829118_3e56d7a83c_m.jpg4419874927_166d46a46b_m.jpg

2009 GTR Premium Gun Metallic/ Black Leather #2361

#35 Street Modified Class Solo SCCA Hawaii Region 2020-21
2009-2021 Season Points and Runoff Champion(ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/Street Modified 2014-20/2nd Points 2019, 2nd Runoff SM 2016-17)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

#664 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

This past Sunday, the NNJR PCA hosted an event at Pocono Raceway.  Unlike other autox events, this was set on the infield of the track, so it is quite narrow but higher speeds than most other typical autox events.  Due to the narrow track, that means there is a lot of compromises on what the course setup could be, and the majority of the elements are offsets and slaloms.  Some of the slaloms were quite tight making the course didn't flow all too well. 

I struggled with the Goodyear Supercar 3 in the first 3 runs, partly due to the poor driving, but could also be due to the tires being brand new and needed some scrub in time.  The last 4 runs were better and I was able to keep pace with my usual competitors in the class.  With the rear bar on full stiff, it is a little too loose for a course with lots of slalom, so I definitely lost some time as a result.  

The initial impression of the new tires are good.  While I am not completely blown by them, I think they are within the ballpark compared to the Bridgestones/BFG.  They do feel a little less grip than the 71R, but they also tolerate more slip angle than the Bridgestones, which possibly makes them easier to drive.  The breakaway window is a little wider.  Turn-in response is good on these tires, I don't feel a whole lot different than the Bridgestones.  I did run 2 psi lower pressure on these tires as they felt better than the usual tire pressure I ran before switching.  I will have more impression/review on the Goodyear once I get to my normal venue and see how they perform there. 

Here is one of the runs (just a few 100ths slower than my fastest but is the run that I felt I drove best.  I just lost some time towards the finish as I didn't push as hard): 

Here is the other run where I had a big slide towards the finish that could have ended the day badly: 

Edited by White_turbo, 21 July 2020 - 10:14 AM.

Always looking for sponsorship to help out on events entry (autox/hpde) and such. Please PM me if interested. Super Street 09 GTR #924 / A Street Prepared 06 Evo #924

#665 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 12:33 PM

Thanks for your videos. That course is 100% opposite of the ones I have. But as always you are working with whatever site you can aquire so that's how it goes. Make the most of it.

General approach with emphasis on basics always apply. 

In my events we walk the course for about 30-40 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at midday break. We have 4 competition runs, no parade lap, then fun runs at the end of the day. Common is 30-35 second course with under 30 possible and if we do crossovers we can stretch it out to 45 seconds. We have at least 2 or 3 U turns some are pin turns and from zero to as many as four crossovers. I have counted as many as 29 turns on a 30 second course. Obviously we have a small area (triangle shaped) that doesn't lend itself to a fast free flowing course design. We do the U turns to make the most out of the longest runs and often do an out and back course on a far turn (allows the slalom turn slalom with less cones on course).

We used to have a track for autocross that was about 1 mile long, we found we were constrained heavily by the paved portions which narrowed to two lanes wide. Different small teams would make up a third of the course with no coordination with other teams, sometimes we would see 7 or 8 rows for slaloms but we often saw offset slaloms, lane changes, and if wide enough some combination chicago boxes. One thing about a long course is the workers are so spread out they cannot see each other, timing and scoring cannot see the finish. As a spectator you need to pick a spot and can't move easily with terrain and brush on the infield. The track loop we used was 1.3 miles. We lost the site in 2006 after it was open for 50 years.

Thanks for posting video run 6, it's good to hear and experience being at the limit. The tires seem good and if they allow more usable slip angle could be better for drivers that favor that.

What is your routine for walking the course before your runs? Any rituals, any must dos or distractions?

I am one of the event organizers and main safety steward. I set up the double grid area with chalk markings and cones and lay out cone gates leading to the start and return line of cones leading back to the pit/grid after the finish. I walk the course for safety with the course designer and Youth Steward. After that I usually have to swap street tires for race tires then get out to walk the course for about 30 minutes before I give the rookie course walk for 15 minutes. Sometimes I do not get everything done but it is usually crazy if I drive in heat 1. My course walk usually consists of me drawing the course marking the cone locations to scale on a grid graph paper. This way I can see the relative distances and then write myself some notes. I circle the "key" cones that usually require backsiding or may lead to a crucial fast straight or tight turn then fast out. There are usually 5 to 7 key cones per course. After I do my map with notes I walk/jog the course as many times as possible 4 to 8 times if time allows. Often I will study a certain area for a long time looking at all the angles and approaches, I may pace off a turn to see if a constant radius turn can be fit. I do talk to a few people and sometimes they have suggestions that trigger a thought to a new approach. Our courses allow for some optional direction turns and some times a small circle in the middle of a straight bordered with gates or lane changes. Sometimes the combination of elements and options can lead to four directions to choose from, Shorter path is one approach, I usually look for the fastest exit to the longest stretch.

Turning the GTR on a dime isn't it's strength but it can be done with minimal fuss if you give up enough speed and don't overwork the tires. I do not try to slide around and oversteer to flick the car around a pin turn. I slow down and pick my minimal line and get out of the turn as quickly as possible while rolling onto the throttle. Looking (ahead) for the cleanest line at tire grip limit using the smoothest inputs from brake, throttle, and steering is the goal. Every run is different due the tire grip being affected by temperature, cold tires on run 1 won't allow the same aggressive approach as in later runs, course and weather conditions will interfere with the best of plans.

Keep posting the videos, I watch them over and over as well as many of the Youtube SCCA national east/west course highlight runs. :clap:

2009-2021 Season Points and Runoff Champion(ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/Street Modified 2014-20/2nd Points 2019, 2nd Runoff SM 2016-17)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

#666 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:25 AM

We were back at our usual location doing the typical autox stuff yesterday. Condition was brutal with ambient temp in the low - mid 90s with a course worker suffering from heat exhaustion. This was also the first time running the usual lot with the now scrubbed in Goodyear Supercar, so I had high hopes. My thoughts about these tires remain consistent with the initial impression from last week. The tires took a run or two to get their full grip. And when they grip, the tires are enjoyable to drive with good feedback and pretty good at multitasking. However, the pace was just not quite there compared to cars on Yokohama A052 and maybe my old setup RE71R on 19 inch wheels.

I suspect there are two variables that may hinder the pace I could extract from the Goodyear:
1) The 20inch wheel/tire combo picked up 28lbs overall compared to my previous setup. I can definitely feel it on the start from a dead stop.
2) The 30 sidewall aspect ratio may be too little and too stiff so the tires are just overworked.
3) The tires seem to not able to keep up in slalom as the rear would slide too much. This may be due to the rear bar being too stiff.

Now that I am stuck with this set of tire at least for whatever that is left this season, I will make a few small changes to see if the car can work better with the tires and hope to get some pace back.

Overall, I ended up 7th in both RAW/PAX. Unfortunately, I was almost a full second off the GT3 running on Yokohama A052, the biggest margin in the last 2-3 seasons.

#667 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for your comments. We had an autocross scheduled for july 26 on the Big Island that I was thinking of going to since Oahu autocross Aloha Stadium location is closed until further notice likely October due to the lot being filled with rental cars that have no other place to sit during tourism shutdown. However hurricane Douglas just passed through leaving rain, wind and waves on all the island and forced the cancellation of the Big Island event. Maybe next month. If I go I would fly over and co drive a car that is already there, it's not ideal, a very short small paved go kart track next to the Hilo Drag strip. If it rains it could all get underwater quickly as it is at sea level in the tsunami inundation zone.

OK, it is possible that the A052 or RE71R rubber is softer and allows for a little more grip and maybe a faster run but as always that depends on optimizing everything else that goes with driving well. That your Goodyear feels controllable and suits your driving style is important. Getting to know the tire and how to make the best of it may require a little testing and trial and error. Every course can be different enough to require small changes. It looks like your courses flow well enough and have turns and slaloms that would benefit from the cleanest tight driving line you can manage at grip limit so that should always be the goal and offer you the best time. You cannot control anything else but what you do with your car and setup.

I put video cams on both right and left sides to see how I am doing along the course for steering and cone placement. I want to be touching or within 3 inches of cones at the apex locations or with slaloms. Everytime I am one foot from the cone I may be giving up 0.1 second depending on the speed (about 35-40 mph). No run is going to be perfect but I will see tendencies of being close or further on the right or left front turning or even the trailing rear wheels if I hit anything. Though you are trying to backside cones it is common to miss the mark and end up being pretty far from doing what is planned. Every small detail adds up and leads to your total run time, you gain some then you loose some. If you have anything large to correct then start there first and whittle down the problems to minor stuff what will vary from run to run. I have never found a run to be perfect even when I have FTD for an event. I just made less errors than others that day.

Overdriving can be a factor so if that is something you contend with then find ways to stay calm and within yourself. Dial back just a bit but stay at traction limit which is the goal or catch that oversteer tendency the moment before you have it interfere, it's a very fine point. I usually set my rear bar to get just a tiny bit of oversteer, not too much because I want to be able to push it and allow a little four wheel slide that is controllable.

When you drive are you using VDC off or in R mode. With VDC in R mode do you detect enough interference/braking that it becomes a hidderance?

On your mentioned variables-

More weight is definitely a negative since it takes energy to change acceleration or to brake with heavier wheels/tires.

Sidewalls more stiff- there is less flex so would lower tire pressure be of any help? Getting overworked may be related to your slip angles and driving approach which could be more aggressive- something to look at and adjust a little. Consideration for future tire that allows you to drive with your natural style with less adjustment.

Oversteer- lots of reasons for this but bottomline is your tires are not holding enough grip for what you are asking them to do. Earlier and smoother input in steering with less weight transfer will allow more rear tire grip and better control. Your slaloms don't look too tightly spaced, uneven or offset so you will have to find your sweetspot for finding the cleanest shortest line and hold speed well if you have the traction to do so. I usually look at slalom with prioritizing them if I have more than one on a given course. The longest more widely spaced slalom is the closest thing to a straight that I will see so it is of the highest priority on course. Entry to the long slalom allows me to carry more speed through the whole slalom until I get to the last two cones and accelerate out if I am not coming up to the tight turn. Finding the fastest entry speed that is not too agressive is key as no braking during the slalom is key (kills the flow and my pace, too busy to manage steering while brake and throttle are not constant).

Rear bar settings- I have a 19mm (thin) whiteline rear adjustable bar with three holes on each side. I have both sides set for the middle hole after trying one on stiffest and not liking it. It was a little too stiff for tight turning on my courses. I also like the bar settings to work with both R compound tires I use and with Extreme Summer street tires I use so that I don't have to adjust much. I use R mode almost always and have tried VDC off with poor results for the grip the tires were allowing at the time I tested it over the course of several seasons. It's not that I can't drive with VDC off but that if any small error is made that cannot be corrected in time then the whole run is blown. I have no practice runs and have 4 tries during competition. In Runoffs I have 3 runs per course that is flipped at midday. Since my courses are short my tires often are not up to best temperature for grip until the last two runs if any. I run about 120-130 degrees in front and only 110 degrees most of the time, sometimes 5 to 10 degrees more on a hot day.

Are you checking tire temperatures during the event to adjust pressures. What kind of pressures are your getting? Something to play with a little.

The other question I have is this- if you are allowed to do fun runs at the end of the day, how do your times compare with during the event? Do they overlap- do your times drop and if so by how much? Obviously as we get more experienced we are able to learn from the course and adjust better for a faster run time. If we are all given ten runs then the margin between each competitor may be very very small. That your times are better during fun runs may indicate that you can find a faster way on course without the advantage of optimal tire temps. Yes, the course can be improved by more rubber laid down on course in the right places or in my case it gets worse with more gravel at the start launch or in tight turns where gravel builds up.

Key learning for me is I always do fun runs in street tires and I find that within 2 or 3 runs I can nearly match my event time on race tires due to learning the course better and applying adjustments, normally I think of difference in Race and Street tires being about 1 second for 30 sec course. I will see less than 0.5 sec difference with my fun run time and event time so there is always much room for improvement for me. And of course the conditions for driving are different during and after the event with respect to the driver's focus, concentration, calmness, hydration, etc. I am very busy and rushed organizing the event and barely make it to the grid in time for the start. I am last in my heat to allow the most prep time and barely make it.

#668 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:15 PM

When you drive are you using VDC off or in R mode. With VDC in R mode do you detect enough interference/braking that it becomes a hidderance?

Sidewalls more stiff- there is less flex so would lower tire pressure be of any help? Getting overworked may be related to your slip angles and driving approach which could be 

Are you checking tire temperatures during the event to adjust pressures. What kind of pressures are your getting? Something to play with a little.

The other question I have is this- if you are allowed to do fun runs at the end of the day

I always turn VDC off in autox, except for when the car was new and I didn't want to risk voiding warranty.  The R mode is still way too restrictive in autox and it is slow.  You have to turn it off to be fast in the car, if not, you are leaving a lot of time on the table.

Overworking the tire due to less sidewall is just a theory at this point.  The thought is that there is now less sidewall acting as spring, so the car isn't as compliant and the car overall just feels "skittish".   I did lower the tire pressure compared to what I usually run with the RE71R, and they felt better with lower pressure.  I may try lowering them a couple more psi and see how they feel. 

I have not measure any tire temp, it may be worth doing it at some point.  But with the car being in Street class, even if temp is off, there isn't much I can do because I can't adjust camber.  Tire pressure can only address a little on the temperature, so whatever pressure gives me the best grip/feel overthrows tire temp. 

No fun runs for us as we usually have pretty large turn out that there is not enough time to give fun runs.  Fun runs are great for novices, but for me, I just try to treat local events as a 3 run event like Nationals. 

Edited by White_turbo, 27 July 2020 - 07:16 PM.

#669 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

Made a comparison of my best run vs my DNF run, I was actually quite a bit faster for the first half of the course until I spun at the 40sec mark.  If I could hold on to that, I suspect it would be at least a low 46 and perhaps break into the 45.  The bump into the slalom entry and the over heated tires worked against me on this run. 

#670 LLGG

LLGG

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

I'm officially done with autocrossing my GT-R.  Sold the car last week.  Will move to something else next year.   It was a lot of fun to enjoy the beast for last 5 years.  Hope to meet you guys at autocross events!

Attached Files

2014 GT-R Track Edition
JRZ DA tuned by Ankeney Racing Enterprise ECU tuned by Equilibrium Tuning

#671 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

Sorry to see you go. You had a good run in SM. Any idea what is next yet?

Edited by White_turbo, 28 July 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#672 LLGG

LLGG

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 12:50 AM

Yeah I ran in SSP and SM last year. My co-driver James Yom won 2 pro solo in SM. I got 3rd in Fontana Pro solo. It was a blast so much fun running against Hyman.

Not sure about next car yet. Most likely will be running in SS either GT3 or GT4 PDK.
2014 GT-R Track Edition
JRZ DA tuned by Ankeney Racing Enterprise ECU tuned by Equilibrium Tuning

#673 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 04:43 PM

Good lord. Well if you are ever open for a codrive. 😅

#674 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 04:13 PM

I found this a good read on what VDC R mode is doing vs VDC off.

https://www.gtr.co.u...vdc-off.342250/

Honestly I get better run times and better control using VDC in R mode for the courses I have and for my setup. The goal is a fast competition run time with four runs and 100 drivers no matter what the course or conditions. While it might be true that ultimately a faster run time could be accomplished with VDC off could I do this within my four runs? Driving on a track doing lapping over several sessions would be a different requirement and I would certainly try VDC off.

Courses- lower max speed about 55-60 for very short time, multiple tight pin U turns, tight short (4 cone) slaloms, tight start and finish areas to slow cars down, some lane changes with offset, a few chicago boxes usually small, sometimes circles or multiple circles with optional direction paths. Course length 0.35 to 0.4 miles, 30 sec to 45 sec (with crossovers).

Sometimes the course is so tight that our Jr Karts driven by 13 yr olds have a good chance to beat everyone. Conditions can be cool about 80 degrees and sometimes wet from light to heavy rain. In general the course favors a technical precise approach with control of speed in the tight spots and maximizing speed through any straights.

I have tried VDC in off and R mode and prefer R mode as I have learned to work with it and found it to be predictable and not intrusive for my style. For any driver it is good to try both R mode and VDC off and see for yourself. For all other cars I have autocrossed or driven on the track I turn traction control off without a doubt. Not so with the GTR. When I have VDC off it works OK but there can be times when too much oversteer is not caught sufficiently with poor results. Interestingly I have attended many Evolution Driving Schools and they are not really concerned with driving with VDC off vs R mode. However the instructors are driving under the limit so R mode would make sense. I have co-driven with experienced drivers using both VDC off and R mode and while the other drivers do a good job with VDC off and they like it, I do not see superior results vs my approach.

Suspension setup- 2009 GTR OEM shocks set to R on console. Swift lowering springs- 1" drop, Whiteline adjustable front (full soft) and 19mm adjustable rear swaybar (middle setting), Stiffer rear endlinks, Whiteline adjustable front upper control arm bushings (-3 front negative camber/ -2 rear negative camber). 

Wheels/tires-  Enkei Racing 18x10" et22 square with Hoosier A7 315/30-18 tires only for competition autocross, OEM wheels with Yokohama A052 285/35-20 square for street driving, Evo School, HPDE, fun runs, and wet autocross.

In the future I plan to revisit using VDC off and get a better feel driving at the traction limit.

Edited by AutoXGTR, 05 August 2020 - 02:09 AM.

#675 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

Driving on a track doing lapping over several sessions would be a different requirement and I would certainly try VDC off.

Fair enough.  I guess there are so many variables that dictates whether VDC-off or R-mode is best for a driver.  Based on your description about the site you run at (smaller lot and generally lower speed), I can see VDC-off vs R-mode may not make a noticeable difference as your car may not have enough yaw for VDC-off to matter.  When you get to a site like Lincoln where speed is higher and course is more wide open, I think the difference will be quite apparent.  I will bet every time that VDC-off is faster in capable hands.  Also, keep in mind that autox is very different from track as you are asking the car to do things that VDC program wasn't made to do. 

However, I would also say that you definitely want to keep VDC in R-mode on a track if you are not comfortable with VDC-off in autox. I actually see a benefit in R-mode on the track as a safety net.  The track is not a place for you to find out what VDC-off does to your car IMO.  :thumbsup:

#676 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6587 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:49 AM

The catch word is "capable hands" which is key. Each driver has their own skill level and event course site to compete at. I say try both VDC off and in R mode and see how it works or doesn't work for you. When I have driven other cars on various track events I can tell that traction control off is the best approach instantly and always turn it off. But honestly for the Autocrossing that I have to work with I don't get the same feeling nor good results from VDC off. In more than one season I have tried to do runs with VDC off and it's really a no go. I can get oversteer easily and it's difficult to catch at just the right time to keep things settled.

The other thing is that my courses will throw a lot of things at you quickly. It's a short course and doesn't last long but it's full of elements and you are not given much time or distance to transition from one thing to another. Some will say it is too busy, as I mentioned the Jr karts do well because for them tight and busy is still wide and flowing. However the Evolution driving schools I have attended have taught me that even though the course might "look busy and tight" there are ways to prepare and plan the right strategy to make things flow and not get caught up in a technical course. 

As a result I have to look at each element and plan things backward from the finish to get everything to connect and "flow". There are no places to take a break and catch your breath as you try to max out each part of the course while avoiding overdriving. For my courses higher speeds only lead to more errors as the transitions to lower speeds (many tight U turns) require the correct corner entry speed to cleanly turn and blast out strong.

At the same time some of the experienced drivers in my region can easily drive the GTR with VDC off and they stay in control and look good but they are still not competitive with the rest of the field for a given day and course. With practice could they be competitive? Likely yes or maybe they are just taking it easy due to being allowed to drive the GTR. For me, my goal is to try to represent 4 seaters and heavy cars while keeping up with the Jr Karts and 2 seaters that tend to dominate. Of course our track for autocross is not favorable for the GTR but it usually makes things quite a challenge. I like a good problem.

#677 GTRIndianapolis

GTRIndianapolis

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

Without question, driven properly, my bone stock 2018 GTR is significantly faster with VDC off. What i found was that I was correcting for unwanted car slip exactly the same time the VDC was correcting which made the car completely un-controllable at the limit (which is where a autox car should be 100% of the time). This was even more apparent in wet conditions. VDC is a completely unneeded vice on an autocross course where there is virtually no risk of vehicle damage via an unwanted spin, and worse, prevents the driver from learning to properly drive the car to its potential. My thought is that the Goodyear F1 Supercar3 tires are much like the R888 (I had these on my M4) in that on an autox course they do not reach their designed operating temperature, only once (on an 95 degree day and eight runs ) did I ever experience grip like the RE71R(or RS4/Rivals/etc) with the R888. There is a significant difference between a tire designed for autox and one designed for the track. My regular weekly autocross car is a S2000 driven in CS and I recently found out that it is absolutely true the first outing (heat cycle) of the RE71R they are not up their full potential. On a 60 second Champ Tour courses at Grissom AFB, Ind. I was a full second faster on Sunday then I was Saturday with the brand new tires. The GTR reminds me (in my limited number of events so far) of my STI and EVO days, in some ways it drives like a rally car (albeit a very large one that cant play in the dirt) This car is an extreme example of an enter corner slow/fast out car that, when done properly, is truly magnificent to behold. 

2007 & 2017 SCCA Indianapolis Region SOLO PAX Championship (Jack Tovey Award)

2010 & 2018 SCCA SOLO Nationals Trophy Winner

#678 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:58 PM

My thought is that the Goodyear F1 Supercar3 tires are much like the R888 (I had these on my M4) in that on an autox course they do not reach their designed operating temperature, only once (on an 95 degree day and eight runs ) did I ever experience grip like the RE71R(or RS4/Rivals/etc) with the R888.

What production year were your SC3?  My understanding is that they made improvements on the tire sometime in 2018-2019, so they should be better than the older production.  I have not driven the R888, but I don't think the SC3 is a bad autox tire at all.  So far, I have heard mostly great things about the SC3 from various people that have run them this year and they are generally in-line with my assessment on them so far.  But I agree, they seem to like heat and I think is a good thing for the GTR. 

Edited by White_turbo, 13 August 2020 - 12:59 PM.

#679 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

Another event at Pocono Raceway this weekend.  Course was great with a few spots for 3rd gear, but the weight of the car really caught up to me in the never ending slalom. 

At the end of the day, the organizer removed all the cones on course and let us play without cones for fun. 

#680 White_turbo

White_turbo

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2394 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:39 PM

Went back to Pocono this weekend but this time for the track sprint instead of autox. This format is quite fun if all out time trial is not feasible yet.

And two days later, autox at the usual venue. This time we ran on a sealed lot and boy the Goodyear SC3 did not like that surface. The course had a few sweepers which really put the car in a limp. It was one of the worse event for me in a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users