Photo
- - - - -

NISSAN: DO YOU WANT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

78 replies to this topic

#41 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

All you IDIOTS who are crying about Nissan not honoring the warranty just don't get it.
Please sell your GT-R to someone who didn't buy it for drag racing.
GROW UP AND GET YOURSELF A DRAGSTER AND GET THE HELL OFF THIS SITE.
YOU ARE RUINING THE REPUTATION OF THE GT-R AND NISSAN.
PLEASE JUST GET LOST!

I'm the guy from the 60's. To quote from one of the old Star Trek's: Your argument is completely non sequitur.

And BTW, let's say I want to sell my GT-R with 200 miles and some launches on it. What do you think it's worth now with all this going on?

Edited by Trailblazer, 15 October 2008 - 11:56 PM.

#42 zeyd

zeyd

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:30 AM

you all have valid points.

The thing is : we ALL new about the warranty/LC thing

R32 Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

you all have valid points.

The thing is : we ALL new about the warranty/LC thing

every manufacturers set their warranty rules. this is nothing new.
those who did not read the fine print loses.

R32 Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:43 AM

I don't agree with you. 150 launches a year is less than one every two days. If the car is warmed up properly, what's the problem with a single launch, or say 3 launches at a drag strip with proper time in between runs?

If Nissan had really intended us to use launch control, they would have tested it with a transmission that proved reliable with the feature. Then they would have addressed LC in the manual, with proper instructions on its use.

I don't agree with you. do you LC your GT-R every other day?

seriously, if you don't like it, sell it and get over it.

R32 Member

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:46 AM

I'm the guy from the 60's. To quote from one of the old Star Trek's: Your argument is completely non sequitur.

And BTW, let's say I want to sell my GT-R with 200 miles and some launches on it. What do you think it's worth now with all this going on?

if the buyer knows it is from "Trailblazer" from Nagtroc, it will be worthless.

quite obviously you did not run your GT-R in properly and already launching it.

#46 werewolf

werewolf

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:02 AM

In my view, Nissan can't be expected to warranty abuse, which is reasonably defined as operating the vehicle in a manner inconsistent with the owner's manual. And they certainly can't be expected to warranty that which has been expressly & specifically disclaimed in the written warranty statement every owner receives.

HOWEVER, i do expect Nissan to openly dislcose how many launches each vehicle has experienced, in order to more accurately establish the value of USED vehicles ... much like the total miles driven is disclosed for every vehicle.

#47 Kickhard

Kickhard

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

All you IDIOTS who are crying about Nissan not honoring the warranty just don't get it.
PLEASE JUST GET LOST!

Avanti i dont think you get it. This issue has nothing to do with drag racing. This issue will affect everyone who owns a GTR wether they launch it or not. The fact that NISSAN has the power to deny the claim without physical proof of which component failed and to base its claim on just the reading of the Black Box is wrong. Its just a matter of time before this happens to a non LC car. Legally it is in Nissans and the customers best interest to tear down every Gear Box with this problem to prove what really happend and repair/recall the effected GTRs. Nissan without doing this is hiding something and ruining its own reputation. I have no problem with NISSAN alleging abuse but they need more than computer data to prove it. If all NISSAN needs is to scan the black box to come up with this answer then NISSAN knows alot more about this type of failure than they are telling us
Remeber NISSAN slogan about the GTR ANYONE-ANYTIME-ANYWHERE
Current rides: 2009 Nissan GTR Super Silver-2008 IS-F Star Fire Pearl /Black-2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Old rides: 2006 Chevrolet Silverado SS-2005 Subaru STI Black/Gold wheels-2004 E55 AMG-2004 Ford Lightning-2007 Mini Cooper S-2001 ML55 AMG-1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 800rwhp-1981 Mercedes 280SE euro spec

#48 gtoscott1970

gtoscott1970

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

PLEASE JUST GET LOST!

I'm more of a road coarse guy (VIR, Road America, Putnam Park to date - all in Corvettes Z06/ZR1), but I occaisonally go to the drag strip too (it's all fun to me) - so I can relate to both sides of the coin here,

but Avanti tell me this...

When you tell your car buddies and other non-carguys how fast your GT-R does 0-60 - what do you tell them? based on your logic you better not say low to mid 3's...

Nissan's integrity is questionable.

#49 Trailblazer

Trailblazer

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

I don't agree with you. do you LC your GT-R every other day?

seriously, if you don't like it, sell it and get over it.

Since reading sept's oct 4 post, I don't launch the car at all now.

My question on launches was hypothetical. If the 'launch' as a feature of the car had been coupled with a strong enough transmission and a section in the manual for its proper use, then there must be 'some number of launches' which would be acceptable.

#50 mistkerl

mistkerl
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:23 PM

Can I ask a dumb question? I keep seeing that VDC is only supposed to be turned off for snow / mud escape. Then I see other statements saying that in order to use LC, VDC has to be off. So, does that mean that LC was only meant to be used to get unstuck from snow, or does it mean you can actually use LC without turning the VDC off?

The reason I ask is, in my STi, you can lock the center diff which is their 'gravel/snow' setting (i assume roughly equal to vdc off). But, I would never launch the car in that setting, as it puts far too much torque on the mechanical parts. But, in a normal mode, I have launched my 2004 at least 200 times in the last 4 years (if not a lot more), and I frequently exceed 3500 rpm, all the way up to 5500 (the point at which a stock sti can no longer maintain grip). I really can't imagine a 30k econo-sh1tbox has a better tranny than a GTR.

I also can't imagine why Nissan didn't engineer the differentials to fail first since it would be a lot cheaper to swap out.

#51 Canuckfx

Canuckfx

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

I think the LC issue is a bit of a red herring. Even if you never use LC but like to drive without VDC you are at risk of having your transmission warranty denied.

We should question the idea that turning off VDC can only be for rocking back and forth out of snow or mud.

Personally I do not know of any other performance car manufacturer that states explicitly they can void the warranty on the transmission if something goes wrong while VDC is off. They don't have to explain or correlate how the transmission broke with the affect of turning off the VDC.

To me Nissan obviously knows of a problem but due to cost constraints they cannot address the issue.

My brother in law used to work for Nissan NA in the racing department. When HO moved out of California he did not follow.

During that time I owned a FX45. Right after my first oil change I noticed a vibration at 1800 to 2000 rpm. Both the dealer's mechanic and myself thought it must be a transmission issue and they were preparing to replace my transmission. It only had 6,000km on it so I wasn't too thrilled at the prospect of a new tranny.

I called my brother in law and asked if he could ask the engineers at HO to diagnose the problem. He called me back within 15 minutes and told be that it was a know issue with the 4.5L V8. If you fill the oil to the correct level or just a little above, the oil sitting at the bottom of the crank case will slap against some of the rods? and create the vibration. The engineers have known about the problem since the Q45 but HO decided that they did not want to spend the money and install baffles at the bottom of the crank case to solve the problem. The engineers at HO were not allowed to talk directly to my dealer's mechanic (he did not believe me) so I had to have the US engineers phone me on my cell and I passed it over to the dealer's mechanic. After he remove a bit of oil .... no more issues.

I'm sure that these issues exist in all manufactures. My concern is that with the GT-R it involves a very very expensive part ($20K). Is Nissan hoping that the majority of these trannies will break after the warranty period???

For those fanboys that just say this is much to do about nothing started up by a bunch of haters have you asked yourself why Nissan would explicitely require you to acknowledge that turning off the VDC will void your tranny warranty unless you are using it to get out of mud or snow. Why is this? Is there something that turning off the VDC will do to the tranny and why do they know about it already.

Merely driving with the VDC off is not unusual. I do it all the time with my FX45.

PS I am not a Nissan hater. I have owed 9 different Nissans in my life (510, 240z, 200sx, 300zx, Pathfinder, QX4, FX45 (2 of them), QX56). The last 5 I purchased new within the last twelve years.

I am not so loyal to any manufacturer or brand that I will not slam them if they fuck up.

For now my run with Nissan appears to be over. In the last year I purchased a BMW and an Audi. I now only have the QX56 left. My garage now has a Porsche 911, BMW 335i cab and Audi A3 3.2. Lets see how the Germans do.

#52 xswl0931

xswl0931

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

The reality is that if Nissan wanted to provide a car that supported LC, the cost would have been much higher than the current cost of the GT-R.

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Stop beating your cars...this is a car designed for a road course, not a drag strip. Those of you that purchased this for straight line performance, you have made a huge mistake and you need to put the car up for sale. Contrary to popular belief there is not a drag strip in the middle of the Nurburgring. If you would have taken the time to just read the brochure on the vehicle you would understand the vehicle, I mean hand built engines by single techs, a trans capable of shifting gears in an astonishing 0.2 seconds, mono block 6 and 4 piston brembo Brakes w/ full floating rotors...but no where in that brochure does it mention 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. The Car mag's have had a ball with this car and I think the lines have gotten a little blurry between what they have said and what Nissan has claimed. I for one would like it if we could get a new forum started for the drag strip folks, and let folks get to know this car for what it's real purpose is.

Scott McGrath
McGrath Nissan
Elgin, IL
[email protected]

#54 NissanGTR

NissanGTR

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

For those fanboys that just say this is much to do about nothing started up by a bunch of haters have you asked yourself why Nissan would explicitely require you to acknowledge that turning off the VDC will void your tranny warranty unless you are using it to get out of mud or snow. Why is this? Is there something that turning off the VDC will do to the tranny and why do they know about it already.

Merely driving with the VDC off is not unusual.

The problem with this repeated line of thought is that you are talking about vehicles that do not have a dual Clutch tranny. This is a new technology, it is not a manual and in auto mode, Nissan states it is actually an "automated manual". And from driving it, you have to admit from start in forward or reverse, it has a totally different feel and computer logic than any other vehicle. No complaints here.
2013 GT-<span style='color: #ff0000'>R </span><span style='color: #0000cd'>Aurora Flare Blue Pearl</span>(Sold)2014 370Z <span style='color: #0000ff'>Midnight Blue</span>(Sold)2009 GT-<span style='color: #ff0000'>R</span> <span style='color: #daa520'>Titanium </span>(Sold)

#55 elpasogtr

elpasogtr

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1997 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

i was pretty skeptical before driving the car about not being able to use LC. Shit once you drive it your just so fricking amazed by the power. Granted it would be nice to start off the line a little quicker but it really isnt neccessary. if that is the only complaint about this car it is pretty dam solid.
What do you think nissan will finally do? in regards to warranty claims and the trani, LC, ect.
GTR #1. Bucket of bolts, traded for 2012 black edition.

GTR #2 ---2009 RED - Titeck spoiler and other carbon fiber parts.
This car is a tank. Has never had a problem in 4 years.

GTR #3---2012 Blue black edition. Holy shit I love this car.

#56 haveboost

haveboost

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:25 PM

I'm more of a road coarse guy (VIR, Road America, Putnam Park to date - all in Corvettes Z06/ZR1), but I occaisonally go to the drag strip too (it's all fun to me) - so I can relate to both sides of the coin here,

but Avanti tell me this...

When you tell your car buddies and other non-carguys how fast your GT-R does 0-60 - what do you tell them? based on your logic you better not say low to mid 3's...

Nissan's integrity is questionable.

I agree 100%

It's funny how many people are such NISMOS that they actually don't see it. They sold us a car where factory executives are on video bragging about how quick this car is 0-60 and all the magazines where given the "launch code". Now a few people are defending Nissan as if they owned it.

Fine lets just say for the sake of argument you don't ever launch your car but you want to drive it hard on the track. You can't turn off VDC and drive the car. Remember no Launches! They still will void your warranty. Because according to a certain Nissan engineer I spoke to, "that voids your warranty". Maybe, that removes the Torque management and in turn weakens certain parts? Maybe they know this? That's why they don't want us to turn it off.

I want to see anyone get that 7.29 sec run on "the ring" without turning off VDC. So PLEASE stop saying it's about the LC.

And for the record, I'm not a drag racer, while in the past I've enjoyed racing on a 1/4 mile track. It's not my preference, like most of you the turns is where my heart is at. That's the reason I'm bothered about the VDC. I will like to feel how the car behaves on the turns without the nannies. But after recent developments I don't dare find out.
Looks:
Eibach Springs
22" 360 Forged Custom painted wheels (by wheels boutique)
(stock rims for the track)

Power:
ASR Cold Air Intake
ASR Intercooler Pipe Kit with Tial Blow off valves
ASR Dynamic Load Control
ASR Catless downpipes
T1R Mid pipe modified by ASR with 200 Cell Race Cats.
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (colder)
HKS EVC 6 (custom tuned by ASR)
Forged Actuators

#57 NissanGTR

NissanGTR

R34 Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:29 PM

There is talk that VDC might have actually been in R mode for the 7:29 ring time. The technology in this car is beyond what you are used to, that is how it is beating cars costing three times as much at the Ring.
2013 GT-<span style='color: #ff0000'>R </span><span style='color: #0000cd'>Aurora Flare Blue Pearl</span>(Sold)2014 370Z <span style='color: #0000ff'>Midnight Blue</span>(Sold)2009 GT-<span style='color: #ff0000'>R</span> <span style='color: #daa520'>Titanium </span>(Sold)

#58 mcduck

mcduck

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7876 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:57 PM

I agree 100%

It's funny how many people are such NISMOS that they actually don't see it. They sold us a car where factory executives are on video bragging about how quick this car is 0-60 and all the magazines where given the "launch code". Now a few people are defending Nissan as if they owned it.

Fine lets just say for the sake of argument you don't ever launch your car but you want to drive it hard on the track. You can't turn off VDC and drive the car. Remember no Launches! They still will void your warranty. Because according to a certain Nissan engineer I spoke to, "that voids your warranty". Maybe, that removes the Torque management and in turn weakens certain parts? Maybe they know this? That's why they don't want us to turn it off.

I want to see anyone get that 7.29 sec run on "the ring" without turning off VDC. So PLEASE stop saying it's about the LC.

And for the record, I'm not a drag racer, while in the past I've enjoyed racing on a 1/4 mile track. It's not my preference, like most of you the turns is where my heart is at. That's the reason I'm bothered about the VDC. I will like to feel how the car behaves on the turns without the nannies. But after recent developments I don't dare find out.

Umm... until you get some real world seat time in a GT-R at the track, STFU. I can tell you for a fact, with the VDC engaged, my GT-R was faster than everything at the last track day we went (except maybe a pair of Panoz full race cars). This included Z06s, GT3s, etc. I have no doubt the car is just as quick with the VDC on. It is not like your typical VDC. In full 'R' mode, I was 4-wheel drifting out of corners at speeds other cars on the track could only dream of hitting.

While I cannot argue you gain a small amount on your straightline accel from 0 using launch control, the difference is small (less than 0.5 sec), the track times are likely not affected. In fact, having driven my GT-R hard at the track ( and haven ridden in it with a more experienced driver when he pushed it even harder), I'm inclined to think turning VDC off would actually result in slower times.
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#59 timechaser

timechaser

Unpaid Help/NAGTROC Addict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1501 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:07 PM

Stop beating your cars...this is a car designed for a road course, not a drag strip. Those of you that purchased this for straight line performance, you have made a huge mistake and you need to put the car up for sale. Contrary to popular belief there is not a drag strip in the middle of the Nurburgring. If you would have taken the time to just read the brochure on the vehicle you would understand the vehicle, I mean hand built engines by single techs, a trans capable of shifting gears in an astonishing 0.2 seconds, mono block 6 and 4 piston brembo Brakes w/ full floating rotors...but no where in that brochure does it mention 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. The Car mag's have had a ball with this car and I think the lines have gotten a little blurry between what they have said and what Nissan has claimed. I for one would like it if we could get a new forum started for the drag strip folks, and let folks get to know this car for what it's real purpose is.

Scott McGrath
McGrath Nissan
Elgin, IL
[email protected]

Scott. Thanks for your post. Can you clarify what the warranty position is? Lets say I launch my car 2/3/4 times and then bring it in for POS. You can obviously see that I have launched it but NOTHING is broken. Some things are out of tolerance so they are fixed.

Now I go out, and play with the car keeping the VDC on. However 100 miles later the transmission fails.

Now what? I did come to you for service post launching - in the belief that anything out of spec would be adjusted. And now the transmission craps on me - with the VDC having been on all the time. How does it work?

Basically some concrete guidelines:

1. Can Launch. Go for POS soon - Warranty OK even if trans fails post
2. Can Launch - but be prepared to enjoy the rape post that...

Moderator, Singapore GTR OC Forum and Mailing List. If you want to join, send me a PM with your email.
www.sggtroc.com

GTC Tuned

#60 jaspergtr

jaspergtr

NISMO Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7392 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

exactly what i'm thinking...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic