Photo
- - - - -

NISSAN: DO YOU WANT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM?

78 replies to this topic

#61 bonzelite

bonzelite

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:43 PM

I think Launch Control may also be blinding out some more practical and boring reasons for VDC-off= void.

More than likely, Nissan blankets the warranty voided when VDC is off not only because of LC (which is not even in any written manual if I recall), but because they do not want to be responsible for the driver who has the bright idea of taking the car to the near-limit without VDC. You're likely to kill yourself in doing so. See it as an indirectly enforced safety measure via the warranty.

In my opinion, it is as much about wrongful death suits filed against Nissan as it is about prevention of idiotic damages due to driver over-confidence with a lethal weapon called the "R35," thinking they can handle it.

More than likely, most people, including myself, cannot handle a car like the GT-R without the VDC helping to save their assess when that one special "moment" arises when you realize you've made a very bad decision in that corner.

If, in some other post or thread, these points have already been mentioned, then pardon me; I don't read them all.

#62 timechaser

timechaser

Unpaid Help/NAGTROC Addict

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1501 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

Don't blame you for not reading the crap posted!

But my point was more to the track. Lets say someone does feel the need to turn the VDC off and they are an accomplished driver, then what.

What's the fine print, the unsaid bits?

Moderator, Singapore GTR OC Forum and Mailing List. If you want to join, send me a PM with your email.
www.sggtroc.com

GTC Tuned

#63 Canuckfx

Canuckfx

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:39 PM

All you IDIOTS who are crying about Nissan not honoring the warranty just don't get it.
Please sell your GT-R to someone who didn't buy it for drag racing.
GROW UP AND GET YOURSELF A DRAGSTER AND GET THE HELL OFF THIS SITE.
YOU ARE RUINING THE REPUTATION OF THE GT-R AND NISSAN.
PLEASE JUST GET LOST!

Perfect quote from the biggest fanboy moron I've seen on this site to date.

#64 Canuckfx

Canuckfx

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:44 PM

The problem with this repeated line of thought is that you are talking about vehicles that do not have a dual Clutch tranny. This is a new technology, it is not a manual and in auto mode, Nissan states it is actually an "automated manual". And from driving it, you have to admit from start in forward or reverse, it has a totally different feel and computer logic than any other vehicle. No complaints here.

Wow ... I did not know that the GT-R is the first car to have a dual clutch tranny. I guess that's why Nissan has a specific warranty exclusion that I have not seen with any other manufacturer.

#65 bonzelite

bonzelite

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 01:20 AM

Don't blame you for not reading the crap posted!

But my point was more to the track. Lets say someone does feel the need to turn the VDC off and they are an accomplished driver, then what.

What's the fine print, the unsaid bits?

Yes good points but how can Nissan know who is accomplished and who isn't? Most people aren't. Most people cannot drive competitively or near it. Me included.

Risk-taking is also clearly expected with a sports car that is unlike any other, with the potentials and setups involved. So you get a blanketing policy that excludes everyone equally. Otherwise, with the sue-happy times we live in, Nissan would be awash in litigation with people claiming Nissan was negligent for selling them a loaded gun. Remember the woman who sued McDonald's because she spilled hot coffee on her lap?

The GT-R must be respected and not taken for granted either, hence many of the apparent single-car/frontal hit accidents. More than likely, the newbie behind the wheel was overconfident, probably even with VDC still on... and they misjudged. The car doesn't drive itself but I think it can lull you into thinking it can (in a manner of speaking of course).

I believe Nissan offers a driver's course for the GT-R.

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:34 AM

I agree 100%

It's funny how many people are such NISMOS that they actually don't see it. They sold us a car where factory executives are on video bragging about how quick this car is 0-60 and all the magazines where given the "launch code". Now a few people are defending Nissan as if they owned it.

Two of the press cars had to have their transmissions replaced according to one of those magazine photographers. I feel the press only reporting the performance numbers while conveniently forgetting to mention the warranty voiding borders on negligence.

#67 werewolf

werewolf

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:50 AM

I think Launch Control may also be blinding out some more practical and boring reasons for VDC-off= void.

More than likely, Nissan blankets the warranty voided when VDC is off not only because of LC (which is not even in any written manual if I recall), but because they do not want to be responsible for the driver who has the bright idea of taking the car to the near-limit without VDC. You're likely to kill yourself in doing so. See it as an indirectly enforced safety measure via the warranty.

In my opinion, it is as much about wrongful death suits filed against Nissan as it is about prevention of idiotic damages due to driver over-confidence with a lethal weapon called the "R35," thinking they can handle it.

More than likely, most people, including myself, cannot handle a car like the GT-R without the VDC helping to save their assess when that one special "moment" arises when you realize you've made a very bad decision in that corner.

If, in some other post or thread, these points have already been mentioned, then pardon me; I don't read them all.

Visual Homage = smart cookie :faint:

#68 werewolf

werewolf

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

Two of the press cars had to have their transmissions replaced according to one of those magazine photographers. I feel the press only reporting the performance numbers while conveniently forgetting to mention the warranty voiding borders on negligence.

It all boils down to who is the recognized "authority" on the vehicle and it's features.

It isn't a few automotive journalists. That will never hold up in court of law, nor should it.

The recognized authority is the owner's manual, and any other documentation you received upon purchase.

#69 werewolf

werewolf

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:55 AM

Wow ... I did not know that the GT-R is the first car to have a dual clutch tranny. I guess that's why Nissan has a specific warranty exclusion that I have not seen with any other manufacturer.

It's the first car to have a four-wheel-drive, dual-clutch transaxle.

It MAY be the first car to have a dual-clutch transaxle.

I don't think it's the first car to have a dual-clutch transmission (but i could be wrong).

#70 Kouper

Kouper

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

All purchasers are supposed to sign it, just because you did not does not mean that is not Nissan's intent.

Sounds like your dealer just forgot or did not know about it.

Which still means not everyone signed it, and not everyone is going to be legally bound by that. So... its still an issue.

#71 NissanGTR

NissanGTR

R34 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

It's the first car to have a four-wheel-drive, dual-clutch transaxle.

It MAY be the first car to have a dual-clutch transaxle.

I don't think it's the first car to have a dual-clutch transmission (but i could be wrong).

Right, the volkswagen golf/rabbit/passat has it also, our car has a little more power going on with it. Porsche is bringing one out soon. But for now, the only one with more power is the Veyron and with a price approaching 2 million and 1000 HP I can understand that their transmission is stronger than ours.

Edited by NissanGTR, 21 October 2008 - 10:03 AM.

2013 GT-<span style='color: #ff0000'>R </span><span style='color: #0000cd'>Aurora Flare Blue Pearl</span>(Sold)2014 370Z <span style='color: #0000ff'>Midnight Blue</span>(Sold)2009 GT-<span style='color: #ff0000'>R</span> <span style='color: #daa520'>Titanium </span>(Sold)

#72 Kouper

Kouper

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

You also have to consider how much abuse press cars take. They may only have 5-10k miles, but thats 5-10k miles of nothing but launches, race tracks and break tests with the occasional ten mile comfortable cruise.... Theres years and years of abuse packed into those. Press cars breaking is nothing new, and it doesn't get reported because of that. Look at the old ferrari 360, the press car had all of 8k miles on it and it could barely get to 100 mph because of issues with the car. I've driven other 360's with twice and 3 times as many miles, and no issues.

Also, nissan may not of told the rerporters that the way they tested the car would void the warrantee, how would that help them sell more?

#73 GZire

GZire

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

Which still means not everyone signed it, and not everyone is going to be legally bound by that. So... its still an issue.

It's purely a disclosure statement, you still need to abide by what's stated in the owner's manual...........sort of like crazy laws we have on the books, they may be wrong or nutty but lack of knowledge of them still doesn't mean you get off the hook.

#74 mcduck

mcduck

NISMO Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7876 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

true, but in this case it becomes an issue for the dealership (failing to comply with Nissan's prescribed selling procedures for the car), not Nissan's.

I could easily see a case against a dealership because a buyer is not informed due to seller negligence. Though, it would have to go beyond not having the disclosure signed and include not receiving the owners manuals. Tough to get around the fact that the VDC off stipulation is clearly stated in the Warranty Manual.
The GT-R’s only two modes are viciously fast and off. “Off” as in engine dead, doors locked, driver elsewhere. - Bloomberg Review, Feb 8, 2012
This thing is a four-wheeled Ducati with a decent windscreen. - Dan Neil, WSJ - May 20, 2013
"... as you select the more aggressive dynamic modes you enter a world where you need to be absolutely on your mettle, not least because you're covering ground with the pace of a low-level fighter jet." - EVO, June 2014

#75 bonzelite

bonzelite

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

as far as I know, it is the first AWD DCT.

#76 elpasogtr

elpasogtr

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1997 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

Please can anyone ansewer these questions.
What do you think nissan will do???
Will they cover warranty claims.
Will they make a recall on the tranis?
What if you never signed anything about the LC feature or vdc off = void warranty?
I know someone said that you might recieve a letter from nissan asking you to sign the vdc off agreement but that was after i purchased the car.
p.s. i havent launched the car and dont plan on it until i hear something more official. The car is absolutely increadable!!! even if it didnt have LC.
GTR #1. Bucket of bolts, traded for 2012 black edition.

GTR #2 ---2009 RED - Titeck spoiler and other carbon fiber parts.
This car is a tank. Has never had a problem in 4 years.

GTR #3---2012 Blue black edition. Holy shit I love this car.

#77 GZire

GZire

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

Please can anyone ansewer these questions.
What do you think nissan will do???
Will they cover warranty claims.
Will they make a recall on the tranis?
What if you never signed anything about the LC feature or vdc off = void warranty?
I know someone said that you might recieve a letter from nissan asking you to sign the vdc off agreement but that was after i purchased the car.
p.s. i havent launched the car and dont plan on it until i hear something more official. The car is absolutely increadable!!! even if it didnt have LC.

Nissan already said the VDC Off doesn't void the warrant, they just won't cover the cost to replace parts broken as a result of the VDC Off or contributing to the failure.......pretty much along the lines of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

I do not think they will recall the transmission unless we start to shred them in non-LC situations.

The disclosure is only a disclosure, the meat of the argument IMHO centers around the owner's manuals (meaning your dealership might be partially responsible, but I think Nissan will again revert back to what is stated in their owner's manuals).

#78 bonzelite

bonzelite

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:39 PM

if this is true, then this is somewhat like a recall:
http://www.nagtroc.o...showtopic=25704

#79 Tokyo-R35

Tokyo-R35

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

Yes, the car with vdc off is supposed to be pretty nasty when she lets go. The R mode is supposed to be excellent on the track, and I wouldn't doubt that it was left ON (R mode) for the 7:29 time on the Nurburgring.

Although I can't remember where, I recall a Japanese Nissan person saying that the it was on Off mode for the Nurburgring run. It was on Japanese TV or on a Japanese magazine. I think it was Mr. Suzuki who ran the car. I wish I can remeber where I saw it....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users