7 replies to this topic

#1 FlyNavy

FlyNavy

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:45 PM

I recently had the 3 pressure sensors replaced in the transmission. The dodson package comes with a module that taps into the tcm in the trunk. Does anyone know what the button does on the module? Also, since the install I get sporadic transmission codes that put me in limp mode. I shut the car off, jiggle the wires and it usually fixes the problem when I start the car back up. All connections seem to be solid. Anyone have issues with this before and know a fix?

#2 FlyNavy

FlyNavy

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 11:54 AM

Found out what the button does. With engine off but ignition switch to on holding down the button for 5 seconds resets/calibrates all sensors to 500mV which is the pressure reading they should be at with ambient pressure i.e. engine/trans not operating

#3 knomeezy

knomeezy

Goofball in a racecar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

It sets the trims, youj push it to make the sensors work. You can also handle the sensors in a tcm tune without the need to wire into the tcm Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

JkaI70D.jpg

#4 Jamesrobertson

Jamesrobertson

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 10:27 AM

Does replacing the sensors require the mechanic to get into the clutch housing? Or is it in the main valve body area?

#5 sterod

sterod

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:59 PM

Has anyone here gone the "software route" and not installed the conditioning box for the Dodson Pressure Sensors?  If so, I'm curious as to what your long term experience has been and if you had any issues performing a clutch calibration.  I wrote to Dodson asking if simply re-scaling the sensor voltage offset in the TCM map was an OK alternative option to using the conditioning box and this was what they said.  

Yes the scaling for the sensor can be changed in the TCM map, but then it loses resolution and it will fail the clutch calibration procedure because it cant detect the little fluctuations it does at the start of the procedure. Our scaling box that is wired in also has a reset button which automatically sets all sensors to 500mV, so even after a long period of time when the sensors start to fall away, you can reset them back to 500mV.

The TCM reads mV as opposed to the actual pressure value. When you run our 68 bar sensor as opposed to the factory 28 bar sensor, The mV reading ​changes by a factor of 2.4. Our scaling box changes the mV reading it sends to the TCM so the resolution with our box is identical to that of the OEM setup.

Just something I've noticed when trying to avoid wiring the box in the past.

askhole 
Someone who asks many stupid, pointless, obnoxious questions.
A person who constantly asks for advice, yet always does the opposite of what they were told.

#6 paparazzi

paparazzi

Torque Junkie

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:37 AM

Has anyone here gone the "software route" and not installed the conditioning box for the Dodson Pressure Sensors?  If so, I'm curious as to what your long term experience has been and if you had any issues performing a clutch calibration.  I wrote to Dodson asking if simply re-scaling the sensor voltage offset in the TCM map was an OK alternative option to using the conditioning box and this was what they said.  

Yes the scaling for the sensor can be changed in the TCM map, but then it loses resolution and it will fail the clutch calibration procedure because it cant detect the little fluctuations it does at the start of the procedure. Our scaling box that is wired in also has a reset button which automatically sets all sensors to 500mV, so even after a long period of time when the sensors start to fall away, you can reset them back to 500mV.

The TCM reads mV as opposed to the actual pressure value. When you run our 68 bar sensor as opposed to the factory 28 bar sensor, The mV reading ​changes by a factor of 2.4. Our scaling box changes the mV reading it sends to the TCM so the resolution with our box is identical to that of the OEM setup.

Just something I've noticed when trying to avoid wiring the box in the past.

This is actually very helpful info. After issues even with the latest oem sensors I'm going back to the Dodson ones and will use the conditioning box

JDM MINE'S dry carbon Spec X 6.0 
Engine built by Dave "Gotboost" Pickering boosted by Spec-V turbos and tuned by Linney Tuning

#7 sterod

sterod

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:42 AM

Just to follow up, I did NOT use the box.  I simply rescaled the sensor voltages in my map and I have been running it this way for over a year now with zero issues. You need only adjust 5 tables.  Clutch A Sensor 1 & 2, Clutch B Sensor 1 & 2, Line Pressure.  Simply change the upper value for all 5 to 870.23 for the Dodson sensors.

Attached Thumbnails

• dodson_tcm.JPG

askhole 
Someone who asks many stupid, pointless, obnoxious questions.
A person who constantly asks for advice, yet always does the opposite of what they were told.

#8 paparazzi

paparazzi

Torque Junkie

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

That's also helpful

JDM MINE'S dry carbon Spec X 6.0 
Engine built by Dave "Gotboost" Pickering boosted by Spec-V turbos and tuned by Linney Tuning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users