#41 aarongtr

aarongtr

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:28 AM

AGREE COMPLETELY!!

I would venture to say that there are far more OEM sensors out there than Dodson ones so of course they’re going to fail more. My trans has 138k miles on it before the seal failed causing me to change out the sensors since I was in there. They very next day I got a trans code and now my trans has to come back out to replace a faulty sensor making me wish I would have just left the OEM ones in. Fuck that. I’m not sold on these Dodson sensors. They make good gear and clutch components but whatever entity they are buying and branding these sensors from have very poor QC. As far as I know there is no way to even trace them by production or lot number so it’s a crap shoot hoping you don’t get a bad one. $150-200 for something they bought in bulk and threw in a Dodson box and won’t even admit there’s a problem.

#42 Agent Ezzard

Agent Ezzard

Shaolin Shadowboxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:11 PM

At some point I am going to start a new thread about my trials and tribulations to aid the community regarding my Dodson sensor issues and what I did in order to help my shop pinpoint the sensor. Seeing as how this thread is relative to my findings I'll post a screenshot of my log to show what the sensor was doing and how erratic it is. The car can be driven in its current state. I'm waiting on my local shop to clear up some time for me to drop the trans again and change it out.

See Below:

Brand-New-Dodson-Sensor-Voltage.jpg

2012 GTR Super Silver
734whp SiR Stage 1's
Tuned by Bill @ SIR

#43 aarongtr

aarongtr

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:48 AM

well the OEM sensors seem to fail more than the Dodson so I’m not sure that is good advice or not, but I think what’s important is that as a group we have identified a known issue and Dodson and their dealers stand behind the product to make it right.

it would be typical for things to get brushed off as “one bad sensor” but that’s clearly not the case

the OEM sensors do not require an additional mounting of a control module. I have had that wired, then re-wired another two times just to be sure that wasn't the problem (starting with the easiest things first, right?).

that wasn't it so William replaced the wiring loom and line sensor after having my car at the shop for 100 days waiting for the code to come back, he caught a drop in the line sensor so he repalced it and it drove fine so he felt all was good.

i drove maybe 23-30 times in 45 days and a new code came back (P0807). i think the best move is to drop the trans and go all OEM sensors again and pull that module out. the problem doesn't seem to want to go away so what else can you do?

#44 aarongtr

aarongtr

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 03:55 AM

How many out there are experiencing Dodson sensor issues within say the past 12 months? My issue began about a year ago when my oem sensor failed. Just list your GT-R LIFE name only please. Thanks!

Edited by aarongtr, 11 June 2021 - 04:25 AM.

#45 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8891 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:19 AM

At some point I am going to start a new thread about my trials and tribulations to aid the community regarding my Dodson sensor issues and what I did in order to help my shop pinpoint the sensor. Seeing as how this thread is relative to my findings I'll post a screenshot of my log to show what the sensor was doing and how erratic it is. The car can be driven in its current state. I'm waiting on my local shop to clear up some time for me to drop the trans again and change it out.

See Below:

Brand-New-Dodson-Sensor-Voltage.jpg

Yes please let us know your findings. I see in the pic Clutch A is following the way clutch B is.

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#46 Agent Ezzard

Agent Ezzard

Shaolin Shadowboxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:25 AM

If you look at Clutch A voltage it should never be below let’s say 440mV. Anything below that it will cause limp mode. Sensor A is at 140mV then gets erratic, goes back to 140 Mac and jumps to 440mV. I was driving the car in limp mode at the time and that’s why clutch B was moving around because those are the only gears I had.

2012 GTR Super Silver
734whp SiR Stage 1's
Tuned by Bill @ SIR

#47 FauxshowGTR

FauxshowGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 09:35 AM

How many out there are experiencing Dodson sensor issues within say the past 12 months? My issue began about a year ago when my oem sensor failed. Just list your GT-R LIFE name only please. Thanks!

Count me in. Maybe make a new thread? Mine started in February with my Shep 1.5 build installed by ACG

2015 BE recently acquired  :shiftdrive:

#48 aarongtr

aarongtr

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:46 PM

Count me in. Maybe make a new thread? Mine started in February with my Shep 1.5 build installed by ACG

I got this reply from Mike at Dodson yesterday...." I'm not sure if that code relates to the sensor, but clear it and let me know if it reoccurs. There have been a few isolated cases recently in regards to the sensors and we are definitely on top of it. We have pulled our entire stock and comprehensively tested them but in any event, we have changed the design to something a lot more robust and will be arriving with us this week."

#49 aarongtr

aarongtr

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:50 PM

Of course they can't replicate the placement of the sensor in the trans and throw hot fluid at it for hours or days to see if a failure occurs (as it did in my case) during their "comprehensive testing".  i think they should have pulled whatever stock they had from their old batch of inventory and waited for this new design to arrive. 

Edited by aarongtr, 13 June 2021 - 01:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users