12 replies to this topic

#1 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:36 AM

I have gathered and retained so much useful knowledge from three or four other track preparation threads, that I feel it is only my duty to chronicle my preparation somewhere here so that others in the future can benefit as well. Stay tuned... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Premium - BRE Livery - Craft Square Mirrors - APR GTC500 Wing - APR Spitter/Brake Ducts - AP Racing Radical Brakes - Forgeline GS1R - 4SRC Paddles - T1R Fuel Rails - ID F750 Filter - R888R/NT01 - GT1R Series 3 Turbos - ETS Race Intercooler - 3" Piping - Tials - HKS Trans Cooler - Catless Downpipes - HKS Midpipe - HKS Race Muffler - Titan Harness Bar - Ecutek Flex Fuel Tuned - Dual 485 Basket - Shep-Built Trans - Eibach Springs - Brides - Other Crap

#2 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

So, after waffling for a week on which tires, I decided on the R888R over the NT01.

All of my friends that do extensive track days with their cars did their best to push me onto the NT01.  But these guys are also doing these track days in RWD cars, and most of them lighter weight.  Well, lighter weight when compared to the GTR, that's for sure.  So, all of the research I have done here and elsewhere pushed me onto the R888R as the best tire for our cars.  Some say it was a weight factor, some say tread pattern, some said compound is different (i don't think it is at all.).  So, really it is personal preference I guess and if the GTR community swears by the Toyo, who am I to go against that.  If I waste this set, I might go with the Hoosier R7, as it just now is coming out in 20" sizes.

Next issue I had was trying to figure out tire sizes to run. I wanted all the meat I could get on the track, since my car is almost 800hp.  I wanted to be able to put down all I could.  My street setup is 10" front wheel and 12" rear wheel.  285 up front and 335 in the rear.  I have a set of stock take-off 2013 DBA wheels that I am using for a dedicated track setup.  Those sizes are WAY too big for stock wheels.  One option is the 325/30 and 285/35 setup on a stock wheel.  Another option is 285 square on the stock wheels.  That puts a stock size on the rear, and a little meatier than stock on the front.  Also gives me the option to dismount and move tires to different corners as needed for more life.

So here they are in all of their glory, 285/35-20 R888R...

post-361121-0-04483200-1519739951.jpg

Attached Files

2013 Premium - BRE Livery - Craft Square Mirrors - APR GTC500 Wing - APR Spitter/Brake Ducts - AP Racing Radical Brakes - Forgeline GS1R - 4SRC Paddles - T1R Fuel Rails - ID F750 Filter - R888R/NT01 - GT1R Series 3 Turbos - ETS Race Intercooler - 3" Piping - Tials - HKS Trans Cooler - Catless Downpipes - HKS Midpipe - HKS Race Muffler - Titan Harness Bar - Ecutek Flex Fuel Tuned - Dual 485 Basket - Shep-Built Trans - Eibach Springs - Brides - Other Crap

#3 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:14 AM

Track wheels should be flashy and exciting right?  Well, maybe not. But I do own a large powder coating shop here in the Cincinnati area, so it only makes sense to showcase some work, right?  And us owners do use our cars as advertising pieces, and write off build expenses... so here they are. 

First pic is stripped down to bare metal.  Wonderful material these wheels are made of by the way.  You can always tell a wheel's quality once you get the coatings off of them.  Second pic is them done in illusion red with a gloss clear.  Not a bad finish.  Now I need to change all of my accent outer wrap vinyl to a bright red, ugh.

Attached File  Bare.jpg   97.57KB   15 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2798.JPG   167.58KB   15 downloads

#4 xaappx

xaappx

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

looks great. keep updating this thread

Track wheels should be flashy and exciting right?  Well, maybe not. But I do own a large powder coating shop here in the Cincinnati area, so it only makes sense to showcase some work, right?  And us owners do use our cars as advertising pieces, and write off build expenses... so here they are. 

First pic is stripped down to bare metal.  Wonderful material these wheels are made of by the way.  You can always tell a wheel's quality once you get the coatings off of them.  Second pic is them done in illusion red with a gloss clear.  Not a bad finish.  Now I need to change all of my accent outer wrap vinyl to a bright red, ugh.

Bare.jpg

IMG_2798.JPG

#5 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

So, forgot a few posts here before we hit the track last weekend...  Did fluid swap with the Castrol; that stuff must have little bits of gold in it.... Did the Pagid RS29 Yellow pads, and that was about all the prep I did for the weekend. 

Tires, fluid, pads.  Instant track car, right?

#6 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

So the weekend at Putnam was spectacular.  Had a blast both days, and became a way better driver by the end of day 2. Took 5 seconds off my lap times from Saturday morning until Sunday night.  Ended up with a final time of 1:18.53.  Respectable.

Tires wore perfectly, even tho I was on stock alignment; perfectly even all the way across.  I went through 100 gallons of e85, for a grand average of 2.3 mpg on track.

But I will say that I am hooked.  Like seriously hooked.  I've already scheduled a single day Monday at Mid Ohio coming up on May 14th. 

#7 fallenangel96734

fallenangel96734

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

Thats how it happens, you go to the track, get hooked and become poor!

Ivey Flex Fuel Kit

Visconti Fuel Pump Hardwire Kit

Port and Polished Upper and Lower Intake

ID 1300X Injectors

Deatschwerks 300LPH Fuel Pumps

Cobb Short Ram Intake

2012 Turbo Inlets

ECUTEK Tune by Bill at Delicious Tuning

GFB TMS Respons BOV

HKS Iridium Spark Plugs

HKS Tranny Cooler

GOT BOOST Speed Density Kit B

ETS Race Intercooler

COBB Fuel Pressure kit

XS Power full exhaust/Downpipe/Midpipe

Racepak Vantage CL2

KW V3 Coilovers W/Delete Kit

#8 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:27 PM

And I'm ok with this...

#9 bjornb17

bjornb17

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1008 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Cool, good luck, I'll be following! I also have a track prepped car - check my thread in my signature for some info that may be useful to you. 

#10 *14TrakEDN*

*14TrakEDN*

R33 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

And you run out of friends who think it would be fun to ride shotgun with you on the track....Lol

2014 TE
AMS Alpha 7
Cobb tune
E85 Flex
Sheptrans 2.5
Ported polished intake and turbo inlets
AMS oil cooler
Titek Race exhaust
AMS downpipes
Spec V tips
Gotboost 3" intakes

#11 carwash

carwash

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 11:09 PM

i'm a terrible passenger, i'm not sure I could ever ride shotgun for a full session even in my own car.

#12 ukrbmw

ukrbmw

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2020 - 08:25 AM

Sounds like fun. Sorry for bumping an old thread - what did you think of the 285 square setup with that level of power? Under steer or not so much?

#13 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6638 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:39 PM

Sounds like fun. Sorry for bumping an old thread - what did you think of the 285 square setup with that level of power? Under steer or not so much?

The OP has 800 HP so the more tire you can give for both front and rear the better. The Softer the rubber the better the grip level.

Most of the time if 285/35-20 tires are used square there should be sufficient tire traction. Full use the front tire will depend on alignment settings with more negative camber being required up to -3 degrees. Understeer will be reduced with more tire grip and suspension modifications (lowered ride height, added stiffer adjustable swaybars front and rear, adjustable settings for shocks, etc).

Any further understeer can be reduced with driving technique focused on optimal driving line, corner entry speed, braking and smooth acceleration out of the turn. Any overdriving in turns especially tight or slower turns should be avoided.

4472829118_3e56d7a83c_m.jpg4419874927_166d46a46b_m.jpg

2009 GTR Premium Gun Metallic/ Black Leather #2361

#35 Street Modified Class Solo SCCA Hawaii Region 2020-21
2009-2021 Season Points and Runoff Champion(ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/Street Modified 2014-19/2nd Points SM 2020, 2nd Runoff SM 2016-17)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users