Photo

Looking to buy a 2017 GTR *** BOUGHT ONE TODAY!

62 replies to this topic

#1 emkerk

emkerk

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:44 AM

Hi guys,   been reading the forum for a while and just registered today to post a question,  hopefully I can become a new owner soon and keep using this site.
Quick background,  I have had several "fun" cars and just recently decided to get a "new" one.  The car will be garaged,  driven when the weather is nice (mostly during the summer since we have snow 4 months out of the year)  Parked indoors and covered during winter unless there is a dry day that I can take it for a 30 min drive.  I will possibly be putting between 3000-5000 miles per year on it due to work hours & family. But its time to get back in a fun vehicle again,  iv been out of one for the past 5 years.  

I had several cars in mind and have narrowed it down to a 17 GTR due to many reasons,  the main reasons was the reliability (from what iv read),  performance,  5yr/60k drivetrain warranty,  ease of oil changes (i have a lift in my garage) and a few other things.  I love the design,  the sound and the whole package.  My questions to you guys are:

Are there any major issues with a 17 model i should be aware about?  Seen some threads on transmission issues on 09-12 models,  cant seem to find any threads with issues on the 13+ model year
The 17's that im finding in the 3000-5000 mileage range are between 82-89k,  im looking at the usual places (cars.com, autotrader.com, cargurus, craigslist occationally),  is that a decent price for one?

I'm sure ill have more questions but those two are my main ones,  thanks in advance,  I appreciate it.

Edited by emkerk, 02 October 2018 - 06:50 PM.

2017 GTR Black with Rakuta tan

#2 J.W

J.W

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

I have a 17' that is Flex fuel e85 FBO. They don't have any issues that I am aware of yet, in other words, very reliable. The car was fully stock for about 3-4 months not a single issue. Temps were a bit higher than I wanted but it's expected from a non-ethanol car with twins. As for getting a used one for that price, no, that isn't a good deal imo. I found brand new 17 models for 89k the only down side were the colors. One was black and the other was red, I believe the red one was around 92k. I've went from Audi, 911 Turbos, RX7's, nothing compares to the GTR. Just a whole different animal and on another level.

Edited by J.W, 13 September 2018 - 09:14 AM.

2017 R35 GTR 

1999 R34 GTR

#3 koojo

koojo

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

I have a '17 that I bought a couple months ago for 89k with only 390 miles on it...basically brand new.    The market generally prices its self to average out.  Make a spreadsheet with the cars out there for sale, price, and location and try to score the best deal.  That's what I did when I was looking for a GTR and it really helped. 

2017 GTR Premium - Blaze Metallic

#4 rocketman89

rocketman89

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

I have a '17 that I bought a couple months ago for 89k with only 390 miles on it...basically brand new.    The market generally prices its self to average out.  Make a spreadsheet with the cars out there for sale, price, and location and try to score the best deal.  That's what I did when I was looking for a GTR and it really helped. 

^ My wife thought I was crazy for doing a spreadsheet. Glad someone else was doing the same thing.

#5 emkerk

emkerk

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys.  If anyone has any leads on any 17's with under 6k miles let me know,  i'm anxious to buy one as soon as possible.  My main color would be black,  I would consider the metallic orange as well.  If there are any other websites I should hunt let me know.  So far I found a black 17 with 2500 miles for 88,  and a orange 17 with 700 miles for 87.  The 700 mile vehicle used to be a manufacturer car with a little odd history, i need to do more research on that one.  Thanks again.

Edited by emkerk, 13 September 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#6 idrnkenmonkeyi

idrnkenmonkeyi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:52 PM

I have a 17' that is Flex fuel e85 FBO. They don't have any issues that I am aware of yet, in other words, very reliable. The car was fully stock for about 3-4 months not a single issue. Temps were a bit higher than I wanted but it's expected from a non-ethanol car with twins. As for getting a used one for that price, no, that isn't a good deal imo. I found brand new 17 models for 89k the only down side were the colors. One was black and the other was red, I believe the red one was around 92k. I've went from Audi, 911 Turbos, RX7's, nothing compares to the GTR. Just a whole different animal and on another level.

Where were you finding 17 for 89k if you don't mind me asking? I too am currently looking to pickup a 17, but so far everything I find are 87k to 96k for used with 4000 to 15000 miles. 

#7 idrnkenmonkeyi

idrnkenmonkeyi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:53 PM

That's not a bad idea, I might have to do this too.

#8 idrnkenmonkeyi

idrnkenmonkeyi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the input guys.  If anyone has any leads on any 17's with under 6k miles let me know,  i'm anxious to buy one as soon as possible.  My main color would be black,  I would consider the metallic orange as well.  If there are any other websites I should hunt let me know.  So far I found a black 17 with 2500 miles for 88,  and a orange 17 with 700 miles for 87.  The 700 mile vehicle used to be a manufacturer car with a little odd history, i need to do more research on that one.  Thanks again.

Hope you have better luck then me with your search. 

#9 emkerk

emkerk

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 03:01 PM

Where were you finding 17 for 89k if you don't mind me asking? I too am currently looking to pickup a 17, but so far everything I find are 87k to 96k for used with 4000 to 15000 miles. 

I did a nationwide search on cars.com,  autotrader and cargurus.  

#10 koojo

koojo

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:34 PM

Exclusive Wholesale Auto. They were advertising the car on every online website (eBay, CarGurus, autrotrader, etc). I first called my bank and got pre-approved for 100k, called up the dealer, made a $500 deposit, bought a 1 way flight to Alabama. I fly out at 6am, go there by 10am, got picked up in the airport on my GTR and got to drive it back to the dealer (the test drive, in sorts), signed the paperwork, and then made my 18hr drive back to VT. Here is the original eBay post: https://m.ebay.com/i..._app-cvip-panel

Where were you finding 17 for 89k if you don't mind me asking? I too am currently looking to pickup a 17, but so far everything I find are 87k to 96k for used with 4000 to 15000 miles. I did a nationwide search on cars.com,  autotrader and cargurus.  

Edited by koojo, 13 September 2018 - 06:40 PM.

2017 GTR Premium - Blaze Metallic

#11 idrnkenmonkeyi

idrnkenmonkeyi

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

Exclusive Wholesale Auto. They were advertising the car on every online website (eBay, CarGurus, autrotrader, etc). I first called my bank and got pre-approved for 100k, called up the dealer, made a $500 deposit, bought a 1 way flight to Alabama. I fly out at 6am, go there by 10am, got picked up in the airport on my GTR and got to drive it back to the dealer (the test drive, in sorts), signed the paperwork, and then made my 18hr drive back to VT. Here is the original eBay post: https://m.ebay.com/i..._app-cvip-panel

Wow good price. That orange really is growing on me, although not really feeling the orange interior. I feel like it would get dirty fast. Thanks for the info!

#12 Nev3rL8

Nev3rL8

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:23 PM

I see orange ones for 78k. it seems that those are by far in lowest price range of all colors. if anyone sees a gunmetal or black for a good deal, PM please.

#13 emkerk

emkerk

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:13 AM

I have settled on the car being black,  i prefer the red interior but would do black interior.  I haven't been able to find any around 85,  saw one for 91k with 1800 miles that was used,  but nothing in the mid 80's yet with sub 5k miles.   I prefer to stay in the 5-6k mileage range.  Anxious to get one but wouldn't mind waiting until winter,  maybe then the dealers might be a little more eager to sell one of them... 

#14 twistrate

twistrate

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 05:05 PM

The prices will fall a couple grand is areas with snow fall and again when the 2019 details are released.  

2018 TTRS - CustomCode Stage 1 (E85)  - Hoping to recreate the TTRS-R - Still shopping for a GTR

#15 SalA

SalA

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:46 AM

Great Choice on the Car and Year.  I purchased a '17 about 5 months back and just edging on only 1800 miles.  Did the FBO with all SBD  parts including their Flex-Fuel set up.  Really is a beast with just those components.  The trans in the 2017 are great, but the one disappointment are the shift points within the stock TCMs.  Cobb has a couple of maps that address that issue.  A few good threads on this forum that discuss pros/cons on flashing the TCM with the update.

Overall Nissan did a nice job in 2017 with the interior noise cancelling setup, so even with a fairly loud exhaust, you can still enjoy the music!

Edited by SalA, 18 September 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#16 TheFamilyMan1016

TheFamilyMan1016

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 10:55 PM

Great Choice on the Car and Year.  I purchased a '17 about 5 months back and just edging on only 1800 miles.  Did the FBO with all SBD  parts including their Flex-Fuel set up.  Really is a beast with just those components.  The trans in the 2017 are great, but the one disappointment are the shift points within the stock TCMs.  Cobb has a couple of maps that address that issue.  A few good threads on this forum that discuss pros/cons on flashing the TCM with the update.

Overall Nissan did a nice job in 2017 with the interior noise cancelling setup, so even with a fairly loud exhaust, you can still enjoy the music!

"The Interior noise cancelling" I dont know it's a good thing or bad thing. My neighbor said my car so loud but i didn't hear a thing .The good thing is: It's working great, the bad things: i want to heard the exhaust sound but i cant not hear it. 

#17 emkerk

emkerk

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 04:36 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Found a black 17 with 4900 miles and the red aniline interior, that is by far my number 1 choice, car is 86k, havent bought anything yet. I may keep looking for another month or two just to see if I can find any others. Snow will be on the ground here in another 2 months so there is a possibility the prices will drop a little. Still hunting daily though...

#18 BeastGT-R

BeastGT-R

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:42 PM

I'm kind of confused by how car values are dictated in places such as book value, but also auction value. For the last almost year I've been in the market for GTR's the book value / MMR value on manheim for example have never reflected the current private party values. I also don't see cars being sold at all other than being handed off from dealer to dealer. People are getting more on trade in than they are private party because prices haven't adjusted.

It's truly a weird time to be buying a GTR and I've really never seen anything like this before. I've decided to wait for "the one." As time passes however I'm getting closer to buying the GTR that happens to be next door and overpaying a bit.

Edited by BeastGT-R, 19 September 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#19 TheFamilyMan1016

TheFamilyMan1016

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:08 PM

Your areas will snow in 2 months but in my areas wont snow also it will be few Holliday to the end of year. My point is: it wont hurt when you asking to buy GTR at the price you want to pay but it's hurt when you want to buy and it's no longer available. If sale man doesnt want to sell for you today maybe the next time, he sell it for you. A lot owners bought GTR cross the States, you might find some better deal in different states. :)

#20 emkerk

emkerk

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thanks again guys,  im eager to buy one as soon as possible and if i find the right one (black with red aniline interior) with SUB 5k miles for under 85K im pulling the trigger,   is that reasonable price-wise?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users