Photo

Opinion on buying a GTR with "Damage reported" on Carfax?

30 replies to this topic

#1 speeder617

speeder617

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:19 PM

I'm considering buying a 2010 Premium w 16K mi. It's listed for 60K. Low miles and looks mint! Seller was upfront about "minor scrapes" when he moved the GTR emblem. He told me it was refinished. The problem is Carfax indicates 'damage reported'. 

I've been looking online for a few months and every car that has 'accident' or 'damage' I've passed over immediately.

Can you give me your opinion?

Other than that - he car is clean inside and out. Except for the Cobb Y pipe - completely stock. It does need new tires and Tranny Differential serviced.

#2 jacob650

jacob650

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:56 PM

I buy wrecked cars all the time, my favorite car buys ever! but with the best price and you gotta know what your doing. just for the record there is plenty of cars out on the road with clean car fax but has been in accidents and what not. but if it was in a car fax then the accident was reported, and it could be minor. My Qx60 was involved in a small rear end Accident and we ended up painting the bumper but i could of not done it. wasn't a big deal but their insurance paid for it why not. that did go on the car fax but shows minor damage or something. i have pics for all that. see if the guy had previous pics. but that aside you can find a DBA for that price 12+ model. just saying. 

2013 Premium | FBO E85 | ID 1050x BL 3" IC Piping | BL Street IC | BL Intakes | BL Coolant Reservoir | BL Race Oil Cooler | GotBoost FlexFuel Kit | GotBoost SD Kit | GotBoost Catch Cans | Boostin Performance Ported Manifold |

Toemi Thermal Gasket | Rohana's RF2 Silver | Michelin PSS 285/35/20 - 335/30/20 | Dual Walbro 485 W/Visconti Basket | HKS Catless DP's | HKS RES MP | HKS Legamax |  Tial Q's Atmospheric BOV's | AMS 4BAR |

Koyo Race Rad | E85 Ecutek RR7 E-Tune by Ben Linney | Nismo CF Front Spoiler | Nismo Skirts | Varis Rear Diffuser | Varis CF Hood | PPF & Ceramic Coating | Upgraded Headlights & Tails | other stuff |

#3 speeder617

speeder617

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

I buy wrecked cars all the time, my favorite car buys ever! but with the best price and you gotta know what your doing. just for the record there is plenty of cars out on the road with clean car fax but has been in accidents and what not. but if it was in a car fax then the accident was reported, and it could be minor. My Qx60 was involved in a small rear end Accident and we ended up painting the bumper but i could of not done it. wasn't a big deal but their insurance paid for it why not. that did go on the car fax but shows minor damage or something. i have pics for all that. see if the guy had previous pics. but that aside you can find a DBA for that price 12+ model. just saying. 

Thanks for the feedback

#4 Dan_585

Dan_585

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1568 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

I'm selling a 2009 with 15k miles for $53,750 - no accidents or issues. Clean title/Carfax in hand. All service up to date. Brand new brakes, rotors, and tires. *Has a NISMO Cluster, Intakes and Cobb AP.

Send a message if interested.

Edited by Dan_585, 02 November 2018 - 06:24 PM.

MK6 GTI 3xxwhp 4xxwtq

2500HD SLT 4x4 Duramax 6" lift, 4xxwhp 9xxwtq

#5 RichSoryu

RichSoryu

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:03 PM

I would talk him down on the price due to "damage reported". Look very carefully at the body panels at various angles in the light for waves and/or wrinkles. Look closely at the alignment of the body panels, including the metal around the tailpipes and how far the tailpipes stick out compared to each side. If the repairs were professionally and correctly done, then a 2010 with $16k miles and repaired damage could be worth it if you talk him down. Personally I would talk him down to $50k or less because regardless of the low miles, it was damaged.

#6 Nev3rL8

Nev3rL8

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

At 60k, you can get a 2012 to 2014.

#7 speeder617

speeder617

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:21 PM

I would talk him down on the price due to "damage reported". Look very carefully at the body panels at various angles in the light for waves and/or wrinkles. Look closely at the alignment of the body panels, including the metal around the tailpipes and how far the tailpipes stick out compared to each side. If the repairs were professionally and correctly done, then a 2010 with $16k miles and repaired damage could be worth it if you talk him down. Personally I would talk him down to $50k or less because regardless of the low miles, it was damaged.

Thanks. I'm waiting to see the paperwork from the dealer that did the work. 

#8 Castilly

Castilly

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:22 AM

At 60k, you can get a 2012 to 2014.

^ This. A perfect 2010 with low miles (20-30k) would maybe be 58k. 60K with a damage report should be very low 50s

2012 turbo inlets

SBD midpipe/downpipes

GotBoost intakes

Denso fuel pumps

ID 1000cc injectors

GotBoost flex fuel kit

GotBoost oil catch can

​Tial QR BOVs

Tuned by Bill @ SiR

#9 aLam24

aLam24

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:57 PM

I got mine with damage reported a little less than 40k with 53k miles and nearly FBO. Just gotta know how to negotiate.

#10 Boostd4

Boostd4

R33 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

My car had a minor accident (sideswipe) and I purchased the car with 28K miles for $62K 5 years ago...just for reference.

2009 IP GTR Premium
Jack's Transmissions RR600, Cobb AP V3, CBRD 76mm Midpipe, HKS Legamax Exhaust,
Visconti Billet Fuel Basket, Walbro 485 Pumps, ASNU 1100cc Injectors, GB 3" Intakes, GB Flex Fuel, Visconti Fuel Pressure Kit
Tim Bailey Flex Fuel e-Tune

#11 Nexus Auto Brokers

Nexus Auto Brokers

R34 Member

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1454 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Just ask what the damage was if possible. sometimes carfax will say minor damage for wheel curb rash if the owner used insurance to get those fixed. Could be so many things from non relevant to major

WE SHIP GT-Rs - WE TRADE GT-Rs - WE FINANCE GT-Rs

Website - www.nexusautobrokers.com
Follow us on Instagram - @nexusautobrokers
Like us on Facebook - @nexusautobrokers
Phone - 770-528-6900

#12 NoRulzGTR

NoRulzGTR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:39 AM

You really need to take a step back and look more. There are so many other GTR's that you could find that have not been wrecked. Take you time when shopping for this type of car or any.

#13 flamelauncher14

flamelauncher14

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:41 PM

As everyone else said, that price can definitely get you something nicer. 

In my case, my 2009 has had damage and a not-at-fault accident but the Carfax only shows the damage. My damage was hitting black ice, losing control and hitting a high curb which scraped up the bumper, tore the lip off, and hurt my feelings pretty badly. Sadly insurance didn't cover that last part. 

The accident was when a teen girl clipped my rear driver-side bumper after she decided to go straight from a left-turn only lane (I was in the straight lane). Only damage was to the bumper cover and valance, so maybe her insurance didn't feel the need to mark it on the Carfax. 

I'm getting the front bumper realigned and fitted perfectly currently. After that she will be parted out and sold stock, or sold with everything on it for a price I haven't really come up with yet. Anyways, good luck with your search! Enjoy your new ride when it comes  :shiftdrive:

2009 GT-R Premium Gun Metallic | Stock | For Sale!

-----------------------------------------

473.2whp/550.6wtq

FI9xLr8.jpg?2

Current Mileage: 41,600

***Retired***

2010 BMW M6 Alpine White/Indianapolis Red

2004 BMW M3 Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown

2011 BMW 550i ///M Sport Alpine White/Oyster

2003 BMW 330i ///M Sport Blue/Dove

#14 cginev

cginev

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

Nothing wrong with buying a car w/ previous damage but you need to pay accordingly.  That will all depend on what the damage was.  If you buy correctly, then it'll be a good purchase.

#15 speeder617

speeder617

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Made a fair offer - or what I thought was fair based on Carfax, required maintenance, new tires and feedback from this thread. Unfortunately, couldn't get it done. The hunt is still on! 

#16 Klaustex

Klaustex

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:39 AM

My 2 cents: I'm currently in talks with a dealership about a GTR with Carfax's "Damage reported". I just asked the dealers what had happened, turns out a previous owner (they know him) went over a curb with his left front lip, and he had his insurance replace it for $0, without knowing it would add that onto the car's Carfax. 

"Damage reported" could be as little as that, or maybe they wrapped it around a tree. It never hurts to ask, worst case they don't know but like in my case, they might! 

#17 SeaOtter

SeaOtter

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 10:47 PM

i would feel comfortable buying if the accident and damage was well documented.

#18 vipevo9

vipevo9

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:47 PM

damage reported is usually nothing bad, usually never in an accident with another car but what something the owner did, like scrape a panel or something small and doesn't want to pay out of pocket to fix his mistake. usually minor stuff as it does go thru the insurance and they usually report how bad the damage was.

#19 leojapan1

leojapan1

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:12 AM

Don't Buy it !

#20 Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:35 AM

Looked at a listing for an '09 with 39K miles, for $47,995. CarFax stated vehicle had been in an accident, but also that there was potential odometer rollback. And four owners.

CURRENT: '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition PAST '14 Jaguar XFR-S '19 Corvette Grand Sport//'18 Audi S5 Sportback '15 Maserati Granturismo Sport '17 MB AMG C63 Cabriolet '17 Lotus Evora 400//'15 Audi S4, Stage II '14 Nissan GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 Nissan GT-R '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4 '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi '02 Subaru WRX//'91 GMC Syclone (two--the first caught fire) '86 Buick Grand National//'86 Olds Cutlass Calais International '86 Chevy Z24//'85 Pontiac Fiero '81 Mustang//'64 Rambler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users