27 replies to this topic

#1 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

I bought and installed a DSC suspension controller on my stock 2014.  The car has roughly 25,000 miles on it and the suspension has been unmolested.  It's not a daily driver, but more a weekend car, and it sees a few recreational track days annually, just to remind me how capable this car really is.

What a dramatic difference the ride is.  The comfort mode is far more pleasant that the OEM comfort mode program, and in Race mode, the car responds better and feels more planted than the OEM R mode.  For roughly the cost of a set of tires, I would venture to say it makes the vehicle ride how Nissan should have set it up, absent value engineering.  In comfort mode, the car still handles well and is more planted, but without the stiffness and vibration experience with the OEM comfort mode.

It's really quite hard to verbalize and describe just how good a job, and what a significant difference the re-mapping of the suspension does for the overall driving experience, and it doesn't do it at the expense of  "sport-car" feel.  In comfort mode, its comfortable, but not wallowing Cadillac comfortable, and in R mode, it's tight and planted.  And, if the default maps are not to one's liking, it's totally adjustable.

For anyone who's looking to improve the overall feel of the GT-R, frankly, this modification has made the most profound difference in my day-to-day driving enjoyment, without compromising reliability, and for a reasonable cost considering the R&D required to create the three improved suspension maps.  DSC has taken the rough-edge "harsh" out of the GT-R and added dialed-in, planted, responsive, ride-on-rails performance when the car demands it.

It's a really neat accessory and money well spent.  

#2 666dv7

666dv7

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:55 PM

Good to know. 

#3 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

About how much for installation?

About $1300 for controller plus shipping?

4472829118_3e56d7a83c_m.jpg4419874927_166d46a46b_m.jpg

2009 GTR Premium Gun Metallic/ Black Leather #2361

#35 Street Modified Class Solo SCCA Hawaii Region 2020-21
2009-2021 Season Points and Runoff Champion(ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/Street Modified 2014-19/2nd Points SM 2020, 2nd Runoff SM 2016-17)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

#4 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

Self-install. Takes less than 10 minutes. You pop off an access panel below and forward of the glove box (do not need to remove glove box), and there is a circuit board box that hold 1 circuit board which is the suspension controller. Disconnect single harness, slide out pcb, insert DSC pcb, reconnect harness, replace access panel, done. It's kind of hard to access and visualize....might be easier on a lift but I did it on the floor in my garage. Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#5 AutoXGTR

AutoXGTR

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 08:42 PM

OK, so is it just as easy to remove?

Does dealership want to have it removed for any servicing like Cobb tune can interfere with Consul 3 reading for any dealer service?

4472829118_3e56d7a83c_m.jpg4419874927_166d46a46b_m.jpg

2009 GTR Premium Gun Metallic/ Black Leather #2361

#35 Street Modified Class Solo SCCA Hawaii Region 2020-21
2009-2021 Season Points and Runoff Champion(ASP 2009-12/SSP 2013/Street Modified 2014-19/2nd Points SM 2020, 2nd Runoff SM 2016-17)
2009-2014 Season Pax Overall 12th tied 2010/ 13th tied 2011/ 10th 2012/ 10th tied 2013/10th 2014

#6 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

My warranty is expired so I'm no longer a patron of the dealer, however, it's easy enough to swap in/out if one were concerned about warranty work. Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#7 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8847 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:55 AM

My warranty is expired so I'm no longer a patron of the dealer, however, it's easy enough to swap in/out if one were concerned about warranty work. Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Did you get any custom programming with yours or just the stock maps.

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#8 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

I have not modified the three maps that come default. That was one of my concerns is that I lack the sophistication to know how adjustments will effect the ride so I'm using the pre-installed maps which I'm quite please with, but it's nice to know that I can make adjustments should I choose. The R map was tuned using a Nismo and the one track day I've experienced post install leaves me impressed with the R tune as is. Likewise for the comfort tune. Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#9 c6vette

c6vette

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 02:07 PM

Does anyone have maps that take advantage of the revised 2015+ valving?  I'd love to do this, but I don't want a Comfort mode that's harsher than my 2015.

2015 Black & Amber

#10 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone have maps that take advantage of the revised 2015+ valving?  I'd love to do this, but I don't want a Comfort mode that's harsher than my 2015.

I've not ridden in a 15 so I can't compare. Ask Mike at DSC for guidance.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#11 pstoppani

pstoppani

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

I just got my DSC controller... serious pain in the arse to install!

Definitely more cushy ride in Comf mode. Wallows a bit more on big bumps.

#12 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:07 PM

Did you replace the whole box, or just swap the circuit boards? Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#13 pstoppani

pstoppani

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

Board swap.

#14 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

I did the board swap too. Agreed, pita because it's a semi- blind insert, but in the grand scheme of modifications, pretty easy. Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

#15 pstoppani

pstoppani

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:19 PM

I find it to be very underdamped in all three modes on a stock 2014. The amount of rebound motion over medium to large bumps is quite disconcerting to me.

It seems very biased toward a cushy ride. Even in R mode the rear moves way too much compared to stock over bumps. It feels nice on a flat road but undulating pavement upsets the car too much.

I played with the software and think it will take a lot of trial and error to dial in the suspension the way I want it given the number of parameters that can be adjusted. The software seems oriented toward a race team crew chief and not so much toward a hobbiest / enthusiast. I’ve tuned my suspension on several cars for street and track and have learned from books and suspension tuners so not a nube.

Kinda disappointed...

#16 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2273 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:32 AM

I find it to be very underdamped in all three modes on a stock 2014. The amount of rebound motion over medium to large bumps is quite disconcerting to me.

It seems very biased toward a cushy ride. Even in R mode the rear moves way too much compared to stock over bumps. It feels nice on a flat road but undulating pavement upsets the car too much.

I played with the software and think it will take a lot of trial and error to dial in the suspension the way I want it given the number of parameters that can be adjusted. The software seems oriented toward a race team crew chief and not so much toward a hobbiest / enthusiast. I’ve tuned my suspension on several cars for street and track and have learned from books and suspension tuners so not a nube.

Kinda disappointed...

Great info............Not plug and play for perfect results.........

GTR GUY IN AZ

#17 bse

bse

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

Its fully adjustable with a laptop. Once you get used to the software its just incredible what you can achieve over stock controller.

#18 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

I'm sure you can return the pcb and get your money back. I ran Big Willow last month with the oem suspension computer, and I'm running it again in a couple weeks with the DSC suspension computer, so I'll be able to better compare apples to apples over the same terrain. From a layman's perspective, simply driving the car around town is nicer and more pleasant with the DSC comfort program verses the OEM comfort program. I bought the car to serve two purposes: fun to drive around town, yet capable of track duty at a recreational level. Hard to make a car that's all things to all people, and particularly hard to make a car both comfortable and a fully weaponized track monster. The reality is that most cars see mostly street and little (if any) track. I drive 175 miles to get to the track, do 50 laps, then 175 miles home. The idea of having a car that can be soft(ish) around town and tight at the push of a button is very attractive. Nissan did an okay job and I think the guys at DSC bettered it, and the beauty of it is if it's not to your liking, you can tweak it via trial and error which is how all suspensions get modified. 

Kinda disappointed...

#19 pstoppani

pstoppani

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

The controller is not refundable. But, they said they’ll replace the broken faceplate under warranty; nice.

We are also discussing whether or not the controller is able to address the undulating pavement without sacrificing comfort too much.

I’ll report back after I have more info.

#20 jumpshowhigh

jumpshowhigh

R33 Member

• PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:08 PM

Pretty shitty they won't refund you. Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users