#1 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2273 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:43 AM

So here is some important questions :

-What does the coating look like in 5 years.

-How do you remove and re-apply if needed

GTR GUY IN AZ

#2 Wicked

Wicked

R35 Owner

• Site Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8847 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 09:07 AM

In for answers.

Redemption 2.0 Tuned by Ben Linney = Smooth as Fawk!!
Switzer 90mmSS Exhaust = Loud as Fawk!!

#3 GT-R Pete

GT-R Pete

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

Great question.... are you concerned about yellowing over long term? Or even worse flaking or cracking of the glass coatings, such as Modesta? That is one of my main concerns also! On my daily driver, Ford Fusion Sport, I had a single stage polish and followed by Gtechnq Crystal Serum Black. However on my Nismo, which I plan on keeping forever I have some concerns of the ceramic coating yellowing.... Iâve decided to just basically put several coats of Swissvax Crystal rock wax.... but my Nismo is going to be mostly in the garage. If you plan on using your GTR frequently, I would suggest PPF then you can top that with the ceramic coating. That will give you a lot more protection and after 4-5 years you can pull it off safely. Removing professionally applied coatings require compounding and polishing... possibly even wet sanding before some of them. Off the shelf consumer coatings wear off with time. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GT-R Pete, 31 May 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#4 hunter

hunter

R35 Member

• NAGTROC Certified Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2273 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

So based on this........No coatings in my future.....

GTR GUY IN AZ

#5 GT-R Pete

GT-R Pete

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

So based on this........No coatings in my future.....

The professionally applied coatings are impressive... everything rolls off the paint on my Fusion... I just worry for a car like my GTR, what will the coating look like in 10-15 years? They can possibly be fine.... but I have friends who own collectors cars and they refuse to use any of the coatings due to fear of yellowing down the road long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by GT-R Pete, 31 May 2019 - 08:43 PM.

#6 R35Power

R35Power

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

subbed for answers as well.

GMG DBA-R35 GT-R (SOLD)

Interlagos Blue BMW E92 M3 (SOLD)

Arctic White Mercedes C63 AMG (SOLD)

Silver Metallic BMW E46 M3 (SOLD)

#7 The_GTcaR

The_GTcaR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 08:56 AM

Coatings done professionally are good until abrasion - meaning that depending on how much you drive and how many layers it is, is really a minimum of 5 years.  Also, unlike vinyl wraps and clear bras, will not yellow out and also have 0 chance of "hologramming" (the equivalent of swirling for a clear bra).

There'd be no reason to ever get it "removed" but if you do notice the coat is starting to get too many abrasions what ends up happening is compounding and polishing (as GT-R Pete said above), in order to reinforce it again with another layer.

CeramicPro is the current status quo, as their ceramic coats are able to bind to themselves in a way other companies haven't figured out, allowing them to get 9+ layer coating packages (I believe their starter one is either a 3 or 5 layer coat).

One thing to also note is that ceramic coat is meant to protect from contaminants and some minor scratching, but does not perform at the same level as clear bra - hence why people generally will do clear bra in high impact areas and ceramic coat over the whole car.

#8 R35Power

R35Power

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:54 PM

Why take the coat off at all? Its there to protect, might as well keep it on until it wears out.

GMG DBA-R35 GT-R (SOLD)

Interlagos Blue BMW E92 M3 (SOLD)

Arctic White Mercedes C63 AMG (SOLD)

Silver Metallic BMW E46 M3 (SOLD)

#9 Carbon_Fiber_Diamond

Carbon_Fiber_Diamond

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 July 2019 - 07:20 PM

Following for that 5th year looks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 R35Mike

R35Mike

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:06 PM

I had the ceramic pro 9 on mine for 3 years worked great and never had a problem if people apply it to high end collector car Im pretty sure its not damaging to the paint you just have to have a legit place apply it correctly. When I did mine first they did paint correction then applied the ceramic

#11 jlefebvre123

jlefebvre123

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:02 AM

Looking into getting mine done up here in Canada. The 3 places I'm looking offer lifetime warranty on the coatings.

#12 luigib

luigib

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

While the coatings might provide some extra UV protection and water repellency, I still prefer the way that a good wax makes the paint gloss.  I had the Gtechniq line applied to my car but wasn't sad when it wore off and I went back to waxing.

#13 te37

te37

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

FWIW: A little over a year ago I did a full 2 stage polish and applied CarPro CQuartz on my wife's car. She washes the car herself so that has been the real test of this stuff lol, it still beads water perfect to this day. I can dry her whole car off with a leaf blower in 4 minutes roll it back into the garage and we are done. I never towel dry a car anymore. Now around the same time I applied the same ceramic coating to the full Xpel wrap on my GTR and it has held up just fine. It was easy to apply also any "high" spots can be taken off with a fine polish compound later on. I have not seen it flake off or anything weird like that, you would have to put a-lot of coats on to make it chip off IMO

Not to mention the fact it makes the car easier to clean, nothing will keep the dirt from sticking but it will make it easier to remove during washing.

#14 Jrivera

Jrivera

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:21 PM

I know this is an older post but want to add to this. I coated my car and then got a chemical sprayed onto it. The coat had to be removed and reapplied. Had I not had it coated, it would have damaged my paint vs the coat. They're worth every penny IMO.

Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution.

#15 hustler1

hustler1

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 10:37 PM

are they worth it on top of PPF?

how much does it usually cost to ceramic coat on top of PPF (entire car).

Edited by hustler1, 12 March 2020 - 10:38 PM.

2017 Pearl White GT-R

#16 The_GTcaR

The_GTcaR

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:42 PM

PPF is where most of your cost is going to be. The actual coating (depending on how many layers/what brand is used) shouldn't cost more than $2k.  The PPF, however could be up to ~$3k in materials (again, depending on brand) before labor, so having the coating on is just gravy at that point.

#17 BlazeTastic

BlazeTastic

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 06:10 PM

I didn't think the ceramic coatings were permanent. Lifetime guarantees? My local detail shop offers different ceramic coating pricing based on how many years it's expected to do its job well. Three, 5, and 10 year coverage pricing. That gave me the impression these would eventually need to be reapplied. Even stone wears away over time from wind and rain.
2017 Blaze Metallic Premium

#18 mdrx7

mdrx7

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:48 PM

Just to chime in. Ceramic coating is only semi permanent, it will eventually wear off. You will need to do some maintenance on ceramic coating. Usually twice a year to boost the current base with some kind of booster containing SiO2. Having ceramic coat doesn’t mean it’s bulletproof. You will still get scratch, dings, dent etc... what ceramic coating does is to enhance the depth of paint, easier for you to wash and clean, protect your paint from elements such as bird dropping etc.... Is it worth the cost? I believe so especially if you can DIY this. To each their own. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 mdrx7

mdrx7

R32 Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:57 PM

are they worth it on top of PPF?

how much does it usually cost to ceramic coat on top of PPF (entire car).

Depending on the condition of your paint. The recommendation is to remove as much of swirl mark on your current car. Most of the time this will require the minimum stage one paint correction. Stage 1 correction + coating will start as low as $1k and as high as $2.5k for multiple stage correction. Again the price range varies base mostly the condition of your car and the type of coating they are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 Breedy00

Breedy00

GTRLIFE Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 01:51 PM

Had my 2017 GTR professionally ceramic coated right when I got it.  Been garage kept.  I can tell a difference between this and other cars I've had three years later.  Paint has a richer, deeper tone and the surface is very easy to get back with little effort.  There are now all the DIY products out there that didn't exist when I had mine done.  I would probably go the DIY route if I had to do it over again.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users