Nissan GT-R Forum banner

Tuned STI vs Stock GTR

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BeastGT-R 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Was in the highway driving normally

there was a Subaru Wrx STi suddenly tailgating me (not sure with the year model but it was new)

he closely went past me on the side making sure I was able to hear his 2.5L flat four boxer engine... I laughed.

Probably just some college boy with his first sports sedan

but then, I was like, is he challenging me?

so I wanted to teach this dude a lesson not to mess with GTRs

My 2019 Gtr is stock besides exhaust.

He accelerated ahead of me

then soon I followed

He accelerated quickly

I was almost flooring it and didn't understand why the gap was not getting smaller.

Then I realised there is no waaaaay he is stock.

I mean, eventually, I was able to caught up with him but still.

so my question is:

Like how fast are STI's if they are tuned compared to stock GTRs?

Do they need to be heavily tuned to keep up with us?

I know they are much lighter than GTRs so Im assuming he will need lesser WHP to go as fast as a Gtr right? like how less?

cause the one I saw did not seem to be modified on the outside.

even the exhaust sound, definitely aftermarket, but wasn't even that loud.

and STi are manual transmissions not paddles.

***I know going fast on the highway is bad, but there was few cars on the road that time.

See less See more
#2 ·
They aren’t the quickest but I know a hand full of guys that run mid to low 11’s - moving that’s more than enough for a stock GTR.

My X5M will beat a stock GTR lol, launching, 1/4 or rollons.

#6 ·
I don’t know lol never dyno’d it. Traps 123-125 mph though - full tank of gas and a 6’5” 250lb driver with a full meal ;)

#7 ·
Unless its fairly new, you should always assume any STI you come across is modded. Same thing goes for any Evo you see. There's almost no reason to buy one of those cars and leave it stock.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know this is a late reply but STI's are good for around 400whp before they start becoming very unreliable. Not a hard rule but they say every 100lbs is 10hp. Factor in the weight difference between the two and pizza math would put them about even.

I used to have a built evo and stock gtrs are very underwhelming/slower for 80k more, but not constantly worrying about it exploding and weeping every time the motor goes will be nice. Shops are also getting much shadier, and expertise are shifting away from evo/sti work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.