Photo
- - - - -

Test Drove 2019 M5 - Great GTR Substitute?

24 replies to this topic

#21 Mid-Life Crisis

Mid-Life Crisis

R35 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2259 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 08:10 AM

I don't even notice BMW's anymore.  They all look the same.  I'd rather get a CTV-S and do a mild 800 HP build. 

Most BMWs, like most MB's, and Audi's (except R8 and TT RS) all seem to blend into a sea of same looking cars, especially if the common black, silver, and grey exterior paint colors. I have a co-worker that bought a new M5 Competition a few months ago. Phenomenal performance and great daily driver. But there it sits in the parking lot everyday, looking like the many other BMWs there.

CURRENT: '18 Cadillac ATS-V Championship Edition PAST '14 Jaguar XFR-S '19 Corvette Grand Sport//'18 Audi S5 Sportback '15 Maserati Granturismo Sport '17 MB AMG C63 Cabriolet '17 Lotus Evora 400//'15 Audi S4, Stage II '14 Nissan GT-R//'08 Pontiac G8 GT '11 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon//'09 Nissan GT-R '12 Mitsubishi EVO MR//'07 BMW M6 Coupe '09 Cadillac CTS-V//'05 Audi S4 '06 Infiniti M35 Sport//'04 Subaru STi '02 Subaru WRX//'91 GMC Syclone (two--the first caught fire) '86 Buick Grand National//'86 Olds Cutlass Calais International '86 Chevy Z24//'85 Pontiac Fiero '81 Mustang//'64 Rambler

#22 L.L.

L.L.

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1462 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:18 PM

Reviving this thread...

With the incoming LCI M5 refresh coming in September, there are some attractive deals on the outgoing M5 until at least 6/30. We're exploring the possibility of adding the Competition to the stable and wanted to know if anyone has had the chance to drive the Competition model and can speak to how it compares to the GT-R outside of the obvious platform differences in a luxury sedan vs raw sports car.

To be more specific, as it is now, we probably drive a collective 7500 miles across three cars and I lean toward the GT-R if given a choice (no adverse weather conditions). Would the M5 Comp driving experience motivate you to drive it more than the GT-R or would it sit in the garage more often than not?

Edited by L.L., 27 June 2020 - 01:23 PM.

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium (SOLD)

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes  | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit

Stock Block/Transmission | Tuned by Chris Black & ACG Automotive | Built by JohnWigs @ Pacific Nissan 

2017 Acura NSX (SOLD)

130R White on Red/Alcantara

2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition (Current)
Cobb SF 2.75" Intakes w/Green filters

#23 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8121 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

I wouldn’t go with the Comp if you want it for a daily/street. With a tune they are all the same, but they ride really rough. Great car - JB4 tune and will be low 10’s all day long and 60-130 about the same as a FBO e85 car. Downpipes and meth and will outperform. Reach out to Shawnhayes on Heritage if you plan on road racing it. He was very active with the R35 platform and now the M5. Good luck and it’s actually almost a no brainer. Absolutely perfect street car.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

#24 L.L.

L.L.

R34 Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1462 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:03 PM

Didn't know Shawn got an M5. I know he'll have some great analysis between the two. The M5 wouldn't be a daily but it would be a street car or cruiser for sure. The cap cost difference at the end of the day is just $3k between the Comp and Base so not much for better aesthetics and to differentiate from the regular 5. In terms of ride comfort, as long as it's better or no worse than the GT-R, it should be fine. Desired color combos are slim pickings right now this late in the game. Donington, AW, or MBB on silverstone with 789M wheels are harder to find right now with 2 days left. Will let you know what we end up doing.    

2015 Nissan GT-R Premium (SOLD)

AMS Alpha 9+ Turbochargers | AMS Alpha Induction Kit | AMS Alpha Front Mount Intercooler
AMS Alpha 3" Intakes | AMS Alpha 90mm Downpipes  | Litchfield 102mm Triple Silenced Exhaust
AMS 4.0 BAR Map Sensor | AMS Alpha Coolant Expansion Tank | AMS Alpha Splash Shield

Speed Density on Cobb AP3 | ID1300 Injectors | Tial Q BOV | DW300C Fuel Pumps | GotBoost Flexfuel Kit | GotBoost Fuel Pressure Monitoring Kit

Stock Block/Transmission | Tuned by Chris Black & ACG Automotive | Built by JohnWigs @ Pacific Nissan 

2017 Acura NSX (SOLD)

130R White on Red/Alcantara

2016 Nissan GT-R Black Edition (Current)
Cobb SF 2.75" Intakes w/Green filters

#25 droptopp

droptopp

NISMO Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8121 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:55 PM

Shoot me a PM if you can with the deals. I’d grab one from my local dealer if they have unpublished specials. The ride on the comps is choppy. Feels like he gtr on rough a tough concrete. Back seat is vomit inducing lol. I have a Donnington Grey / amber X5M now and love it. Color weathers really well.
TSM Billet Crank 4.1 w/ CP billet pistons, TSM Elite Prime turbos, TSM Wet Sump Oling upgrade, flex fuel, ETS mid and down pipe, STM titanium axle back, STM race FMIC, ID2000s, Shep One K with drop gears and all the goodies., DS Axles, Volk Saga 18 10/12 (MT ET Streets), Advan GT Premium 20 R888. 1450+ hp / 1210+ tq

Old setups : Alpha 9 w/ AMS 3.8, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.1 billet crank, GTX3582R Gen II w/ AMS 4.0 big bore billet crank and of course FBO E85.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users